Average power bill is $150 per month or $1800 per year

>average power bill is $150 per month or $1800 per year
>solar panels cost $40k to install
>it would take 22 years for the panels to "pay for itself" if no maintenance cost and 100% replacement assumed
>if I let that $40k sit in a fund at 6% interest I would have $140k at the end of the 22 years
hmmmmm

Attached: solar-panels-roof-27364827364.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg (650x434, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

esv.vic.gov.au/campaigns/diy-die/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you forgot the 35k in tax credit

>each panel is composed almost entirely of petrol products
Oh NO NO NO!

Yeah bro fuck the environment. Lets make things that go fast and burn off the long rotted carcasses of our ancient ancestors so we can go fast and shit.

Yes it's inefficient

nuclear is the only option

nuclear / solar reactors in space that beam the energy back to earth in massive microwave lasers.

Just build wind turbine from trash like that one UKbastard long time ago

Who cares about climate change when we can make languages like Rust right? Id much rather have Rust than breathable air.

$40k?

Yeah, if you let a company install it and rape you with their markup.
Don't be a fag, install one yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Panels are more like 6k for a whole home setup but installation is double that. Be a man and buy a ladder.

Isn't the electrical wiring difficult?

>being a man
>2019
Oof, yikes...

Extremely localised and oversimplified equation that only applies to ops hometown.
The ultimate kind of brainlet poster.

Isn't this a technology board?

>he doesnt know that solar panels last about a decade and are themselevs a byproduct of hydrocarbon oil
Ouch. Did you think you were being green by replacing paper renewable bags with plastic petrochemical ones too?

esv.vic.gov.au/campaigns/diy-die/
It's illegal in some places

I imagune wiring solar panels to a high voltage electrical main is a bit different than playing with consumer gadgets

>fall off
>medical bills are $250k

>you forgot the 35k in tax credit
>tax credit is 30% max, soon to decrease
>30% of 40k is 35k?????

>beam the energy back to earth in massive microwave lasers
I think this was debunked as Hella ineffective

>Australia
Not even once

>debunked
By whomst'd? Big oil and so-called Green organizations (which are probably funded by big oil)?

>Average power bill is $200 a month
>Solar panels to more than offset it cost $5000 to install
>Maintenance costs and replacement warranty lasts for 20 years, covers if the solar panels go below 70% rated output as well
>Standard blue chip dividend return is 6%
>Present value of an annuity with those variables is $28,278.38
>This is ignoring feed in tariffs as well.
>$28,278.38 is bigger than $5,000
>Therefore makes sense to buy

>DIY = DIE
made me laff
even for LV stuff?

no, this is the consumerism board, if you haven't noticed. check they actually do stuff.

>actually believing oil is a """fossil""" fuel.

There are literally trillions of barrels of shale oil JUST under Texas. We'll have developed fusion power by the time that runs out.

got to factor in the leaks and damage to the house and the decrease of resale value of the house

>going fast is killing the earth

I'm glad you've given up air travel user. Very admirable that you're living up to your ideals in deed and not just in word. Trains ftw.

lol

>Solar panels decrease value of house
America was a mistake

all that holes drilled to anchor the solar panel are going to leak and to cause 100s thousands in damage user, people are smart to avoid it

>codemonkeys thinking they can do professional rooftop work

lmao you're delusional.

Solar obviously isn't for everyone, it's highly dependent on location.

But you're out of your mind if you honestly think installing solar panels decreases the value of a home.

If they're properly installed I doubt this is a problem. My house growing up had a solar heating pool and we never had leaks in the roof. If you don't live in suburbistan and have property you can just put them on the ground too.

Except if you get a leaky roof from a solar installation then the installer company is liable for damages, and it's basically fucking impossible to get leaks anyway unless they skimp on the sealant.
So well done, you have to factor in nothing since if you cheap out and get a shit job done, you can still sue the company and be fine.
Solar also increases house value by an average of $15,000 in the US, $4,200 per kwh of peak capacity in Australia, and so on.

>installer company is liable for damages
by the time it leaks the installer company is long bankrupt and gone

>Fall off in Canada
>Present health card
>get treated by a publicly funded system

Attached: 20_000_KEKS.png (459x612, 533K)

You can also sell the electricity back to your power company and get money.

I have some friends who snagged some used panels at a massive discount, then did most of the install themselves. Was a pretty great deal, they're power bill is zero now.

>girlfriend is having roof problems
>decide that I can probably do the work with a bit of googling, I'm a smart guy after all
>massively fuck everything up

>break up with her and pretend it never happened
no regrets

Attached: 1547774111815.jpg (800x678, 265K)

The wiring shit you can get an electrician to do that but the other parts to install solar you can.

>6% interest
w h e r e

You just have to have a sense of knowing when to DiY and when to get a professional who can do it.

Installing a Dishwasher is easy as fuck. The Maytag one I did explained everything neatly and to the point.

You shouldn't bother installing solar panels on an existing home.
New homes should have them installed when built, though.

don't they die in like 7-14 years.

>6 month wait time
ded

Solar power is great if it's used as a supplement, not a replacement. During the summer you can probably halve your electrical bill costs.

Good, fuck the environment. Once it gets bad we'll have no choice but to move into space colonies and finally move out of mom's basement

Ok instead lets just sit around and not move to conserve energy so we can wait patiently for the sun to burn out.

>average power bill is $5 a month

feels good living in a non-cucked country

stocks over a very long period of time

no, unless you're a brainlet.

Schedule an appointment six months in advance.

>poor burgers doesn't have high speed trains.

are you retarded? nuclear is the most dense energy source. as long as you deal with nuclear waste properly it's even more green than solar panels. only emission you get is steam.

i wish

>living in an european shithole
>winter is still a thing
>batteries cost a kidney
>selling energy gives maximum 30% savings

Attached: saule.png (492x343, 14K)

>as long as you deal with nuclear waste properly
they just lined the containers in the parking lot.

depending where you live and what kind of install you go for (hint: never buy batteries), they can pay for themselves in as few as 8 years.

>burn off the long rotted carcasses of our ancient ancestors so we can go fast and shit.
I can't think of a patrician thing to do ....

Selling the power is a logistical nightmare, as you could end up with millions of residences trying to match the grid with their own cheap, shitty inverters. Managing that all and would be a logistical nightmare, and that's ignoring the fact that solar is useless at night time.

No re-read what he was objecting to, it wasn't the nuclear power.

>15 times less
Fuck that's awful. Where I live it's a factor of 2, but to get a factor of 15 you'd have to be bloody close to the arctic circle. In the summers here we get 0.97 times the sun's maximum possible, so they get pretty hot, and the 50% of that at winter means the temperature drops to about 12C, but that would be closer to your summer. The seasons really are pretty extreme, aren't they?
Equation:
cos(latitude + 23.5) / cos(latitude - 23.5)

There's a few very large and very geologically stable deserts in the world, we don't exactly have a shortage of space for such things. Central Australia is a particularly appealing location.

Don't you get to sell surplus generated power back to the electric company or some shit? Does your electric bill actually go to $0 when you install solar panels?

>relying on a power source you know literally is unavailable 50% of the time
>relying on a power source you know will give less power half the year
>shuttering old power plants
>causing rushes of renewable investment, that are poorly implemented on feel good politics for the moral future, rather than actual financial one

Attached: 1556392307056.png (383x364, 139K)

By anyone who knows what bloom is.

Your assumptions are way off. The price is much lower here in europe. Electricity doesn't cost that much, installation is way cheaper and nowhere you can get 6% interest anymore. And you forgot about tax credits and fees you get paid for giving power to the grid

Ideally the power grid would be sustained by "baseline" Nuclear and Geothermal plants that run continuously, with peak demand covered by renewable energy (wind, solar) that is smoothed out by some form of energy storage.

>people on this board unironically need electricians to do some basic wiring
jesus christ

It's actually illegal to do some forms of wiring even in your own house.

Wiring a solar panel system up to the grid in a way that lets you sell power back is not "some basic wiring".

It's also good if you're prepping for a serious power outage. Not even the fall of civilisation, just your local powerplant or power grid taking a terrorist attack, or a flood/hurricane or shit like that.
They should be mandatory on every house, but they should definitely drop in price significantly first and their lifespans should be drastically improved too.

Attached: siens.jpg (680x521, 63K)

Attached: DIYDIE_Bumper_sticker-768x242.jpg (768x242, 34K)

Yes it is. Slap some off the shelf components in and hook up some wire connections / shut offs in and das it mane.

Ok who the fuck is going to call the cops on you? Yourself. LMAO the absolute state of brainlet cucks.
As long as you know exactly what you are doing most basic fixture wiring is s

>Ok who the fuck is going to call the cops on you?
The guy who inspects your electrical meter because you nigger wired it to your solar panels and now its a fire hazard

>not being a qualified electrician along with other trades and degrees
lmao what are you even doing with your lives?

>>relying on a power source you know literally is unavailable 50% of the time
>>relying on a power source you know will give less power half the year

Any solar installation needs an inverter and will need to be tied to the grid at your panel. That means that whenever it's sunny and you aren't using your power, you're supplying the grid and making money. So even if the panels don't work at all in winter, you can still offset that cost during summer.

As for the night, a solar installation should also have a reasonably sized battery since your peak usage will not always align with your peak generation.

It's also quite easy to use a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino or two as a control system for deciding when to buy or sell power based on time of day rates, etc. You can also use the control system to run large loads like your water heater; when excess solar is available, the system could heat water to a defined temperature even if the water hasn't dropped to the low setpoint. You could also wire your refrigerator to do the same.

I know this is a tech board but I suspect you actually have no idea how to do any of that. I do. Neck yourself.

>As long as you know exactly what you are doing
Sure, literally every average joe that spent 10 minutes googling thinks they know exactly what they're doing.

DIY is fine in many cases.
Fucking with high powered electrical shit is definitely not, and you are a certified retard if you do so.

You need an inverter to supply AC to your house. The inverter has to be connected to your panel to do that. It's literally a requirement that your solar panels be grid connected for them to function. Once they're grid connected, any time the load in your house is smaller than what's being generated, you'll be pushing current out to the grid. If you have one of those meters with the spinning discs, they will reverse direction, corresponding to the direction of current flow. The only thing in your way is whether or not your electrical utility company likes that or not.

duuuuur hot wire electrons flow to neutral wire.
Honestly? How the fuck do you even post on a technology board and not know the basics of home wiring. It is very basic shit.

Yup, my lights have a hard time going out. My hobo offgrid setup is 400 bucks and I can now power my room with it from march to october. It would be more if I had the panel on the roof and not in my window.

Yup, that's the way to go. Pity most here will have to wait for meme IoT appliances to make real use of a renewable setup.

Do you know the ampacity of the conductors in your house? It depends on wire gauge, stranded or solid conductors, and insulation rating. If you don't, do not do power wiring on your own.

If you want to wire up a light fixture or two, go for it, but unless you know what the fuck you're doing, do NOT try to wire high current circuits.

Most runs 20 amps some 30. Wow you don't say if you run more current through a wire you need a bigger wire. I would have never guessed it would heat up and flip a breaker if overloaded.

Actually, I really do think you should do it yourself. Please do. 1 less retard in the gene pool.

funny how in last 20 years solar panels and batteries became 10x cheaper. yet most people in rich countries still can't afford it
what was ROI 20 years ago? 100 years?

>hurr durr high amp is scary
what are you doing on this board

Attached: SmartSelect_20190505-095338_Gallery.jpg (1002x1322, 640K)

oh thats how americans have so many housefires, righto

>88.6 Amps
1. Based.
2. How is that tiny handheld plastic unit not exploding?

>i power my house with olive oil

>Hires someone to plug his TV in for him, electricity too dangerous need a certification to do it.
Sir, do you have a loicense to plug that electrical device in?

by not actually contacting the wire

Attached: 61N3LdHhOTL._SY450_.jpg (450x450, 13K)

>install solar panels
>get free electricity for 2 months
>kaamos
>shits fucked yo

Lol my car has 100A out on the 12V charger circuit, direct from an inverter that handles 150A+ at 165V DC and with 700V floating around for good measure.
So if I REALLY wanted, I could pull 100 amps out the lighter socket.

canadian here :^)

still a colony of the queen.

mad LOL

$40k? Where the fuck do you live Op.

>$10k Tesla Powerwall.
>$7k for Panel install.

This is Australian prices so its,

$12,000 freedoms
or $10,500 cucks.

What else could you expect from a country so proud of its tyrannical gun laws and censorship of the internet and videogames?

That's not the ampacity of those wires. I can't make you do anything, but I am telling you that you don't know what you don't know.

Heating in conductors is often referred to as "I squared R" losses because the heating depends on the current and resistance of the wire. On a given wire, 10 amps at one volt will produce the same amount of heat as 10 amps at 1000 volts. If you don't understand how to spec conductors for given loads, which is done based on current, you run the risk of melting insulation/wires. Conservatively, you could ruin the wiring in your house; Worst case scenario, you could set your house on fire.

>2. How is that tiny handheld plastic unit not exploding?
It's probably a clamp on meter. They use a current transformer. I have no idea what sort of ratio that particular meter uses, but industrial current transformers typically transform the current to a 0-5A scale.

mfw 1kw solar panels cost 500 euros
so expensive that i can't afford it

Attached: 1464032068085.jpg (540x296, 13K)

That lighter socket is definitely fused and if you bypassed the fuse, you would definitely burn out the wiring in your car.