What's the successor to IRC?

What's the successor to IRC?
IRC is dead even Mozilla is abandoning it.

Attached: 50665_skull_lg.gif (869x1024, 286K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_(protocol)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

XMPP

There's nothing wrong with IRC

>IRC is dead
No it's not, you stupid memer.
I use IRC all of the time.

While we're on this, what's the replacement for forums? Is it just Discord-or-nothing now?

for 99% of people, discord

Cope, it's fucking dead.
No support for modern features, user base on constant decline. Any notable user is moving away from it or already has.

Slack for anyone who has a job

Attached: slack chat.png (792x528, 32K)

IRC is still used by many, many open source projects. Nobody is going to switch to your retarded proprietary discord garbage.
>Discord support spungle here! Our noble elf fairies have decided your account must remain banished in the no-no realm, kimpah! Thanks for contacting your old pal spuglemeister!

>it's fucking dead.
irc is a protocol
>No support for modern features
irc is a protocol
>user base on constant decline
irc is a protocol
>Any notable user is moving away from it or already has.
irc is a protocol

IRC

fuck off faggot... Kermit is also a protocol and is squally worthless in 2019

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_(protocol)

You already know where all the old forum users have migrated to.

Attached: reddora for reddgy posts.jpg (680x340, 29K)

>>>/Discord/
>>>/Reddit/

Now, go back

You cannot kill what's immortal, that's silly.

Yeah and Gopher isn't dead either.

Attached: 1510491130492.jpg (596x699, 157K)

>IRC is still used by many, many open source projects.
Like what?
In my experience they use mailing lists or non-IRC chat rooms, even when there is official IRC it's dead and all the movers and shakers are discussing changes etc in some private chat room.
Mozilla announced they were shutting down their IRC channels.

How do I use work slack and personal slack at same time?

Fuck Mozilla and fuck you

Mozilla are a bunch of "hip" retards, they're not indicative of anything else.
Just look at the channel list in freenode, and like 95% of the time when you look at some open-source thing, there is an IRC channel associated with it.
I'm personally sit on the IRC channels for 4 different projects, 2 of which I'm actually developing for, and the other 2 I occasionally ask questions in or am otherwise interested in the discussions. One of them has a split development channel to filter development talk from support "noise". It's not "private"; anyone can join it.

But it's probably just a case of not knowing how people on IRC actually operate.
- Don't expect constant posting ever fucking minute or otherwise have all of this off-topic chatter. Many channels are more thoughtful and focused, and may only get a few messages a day or even less.
- Don't expect people to reply to you very quickly. People are busy or have their own shit going on, or they could even be in a different time zone and are asleep. I've had situations where I've had to wait over 2 days for someone to answer what I asked.
- Don't "ask to ask" or otherwise ask things like "any experts on X around?". Nobody wants to respond to things like that, because you're asking them to take responsibility when they don't even know what your question is.

Basically, you zoomerfags don't act appropriately or have incorrect expectations as to how IRC works, and mistakenly perceive it as "dead".

>and like 95% of the time when you look at some open-source thing, there is an IRC channel associated with it.
And it's dead or at very least not where any important discussion occurs.
Half the time it's just bouncers +2 people that idle all day so they can topic police.

Did you even read the rest of my post?

Yes it's just excuses. You assume I'm spamming or asking stupid shit in channel.
And "a few messages a day or less" yeah that's dead unless your project is only a couple people.

just like email it will never be replaced because it isn't profitable to develop protocols in the internet has turned from funded research to a capitalist shithole

Attached: Ggooc4n.png (720x843, 670K)

>only a couple people
That's true for most projects. There are very few experts or current developers for most things.

Why do comfy programs you can run in a terminal die?

Attached: 1510010369291.gif (500x281, 669K)

>That's true for most projects. There are very few experts or current developers for most things.
No.

>personal slack
wtf is this?

I have a work slack for job but if some open source project I'm doing in free time has slack I would want to use a different account.
I assume you have a work and personal email.

Just get Slack

Attached: Bobdobbs.png (216x324, 37K)

If any open source software has a slack channel, they're certainly not worth your time.

I like the kind of slack channel or IRC channel where the developers of set open source project hang out so you can call them fat right to their faces

Was never intended to be a place for normal faggots to talk about Kardashians. Fuck off back to your alternative and stay there.

>Was never intended to be a place for normal faggots
Sure.
>join a channel on any server
>faggots, trannies up the ass
>join another channel
>dudes talking about parties and chicks as if it were fucking facebook
>join another
>tech support only

I'm confident you use open source software that uses slack.

oh fuck. some autist on 4chins declared IRC dead.
and they confirmed it by declaring that a non-important, on-the-way-out company doesnt use it, oh fuck.

oh wait, IRC isn't dead, OP is just a fucking idiot. OP do pic related.

Attached: 1553403220615.gif (416x307, 2.58M)

What important company uses IRC?

this, absolutely.
if you're looking for something "modern" its matrix/riot.im

Yeah, this past weekend really showed us that we should look to Mozilla for how to correctly do tech.

>What important company uses IRC?
what kind of fucking idiot makes decisions based on shit like this?

>user base on constant decline
You say that like it's a bad thing; look what happens to services as their user count increases (see Jow Forums)

If you know these people are moving away, how do you not know where they're going?

UMMMM sweaty
What important company uses imageboards?

If I live in a town and all the apartments become empty and houses are derelict I know people are leaving but I don't know where they are going.

Join Irc.madirc.net #Elite

If a community doesn't grow, it stagnates and dies. You don't want Jow Forums to become a shell of itself like Something Awful did.

1. why are you pushing so hard that irc is dead? youre not convincing anyone.

2. something awful was fucking stupid and so was its userbase.

hey I'm a user on SA nigger (and yeah I think anime is shit)

except for everything that's wrong with it

what important company uses something awful?

>democracy
IT'S A REPUBLIIIIIIIIIIIIC

Attached: tertlelgte.jpg (979x545, 70K)

IRC may be not as popular as other options but is way comfier

yeah but those are the same things that have always been wrong with it, so it's not a big deal

>modern features
ZOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR

based and dobbspilled

your isp still uses tftp to get you online

If you can name something that can be self hosted thats better than IRC I'm all ears

>wanting encryption makes you a zoomer
Absolute state of IRC faggots
XMPP

you can connect to irc over ssl

>being here 7 years and still namefagging
>not even a novelty tripcode
breh

>line limits
>image support

I can go make a tripcode or something if you want but I don't need one

>IRC is dead
freenode is alive
lots of chat apps that either use IRC as backend, or imitate irc frontends/webchats.
>Mozilla
who cares?

>>wanting encryption makes you a zoomer
OTR encryption exists

Hey jordan, the list is coming for you

test

#include test
void test(int i){
}
[\code]

#include test

[\code]