Other than price, what is wrong with pic related?

Hardmode: No edgy loonix replies.

Attached: vpavic_181115_3086_0042.0.jpg (1200x675, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/J-wHQEiDKr4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nothin
nice macposting

it overheats and the ram is only 2666MHz
also it's overpriced as fuck and every upgrade costs a ton too

love the colors in this shot

it gets hot for small tasks and integrated graphics are shit
apple doesn't like their desktop macs anymore so I don't think it's a good investment

Overheats? Noted. Though, I've read that it's bc apple prioritizes silence over low temps. So often they'll sit in the 80 or 90s under load. Plus, I'd repast mine for another 5 degrees.

Ram is user upgradeable. Ssd or hdd storage can be added to he numerous usb and tb3 ports.

I have an egpu but with Nvidia so I'd need to replace it with an amd card for native support.

As for desktop argument, do you mean theyll stop supporting them relatively early?

Mac Minis are laptop hardware without laptop portability, I just don't see the point.
They're not even particularly """cheap"" anymore, even by Apple standards.

Attached: ganuslashamphibian.gif (800x792, 607K)

If price isn't an issue, why wouldn't you get something better in the first place?

It's a very weak computer that costs like a really good computer.

Ultimately it is unsuitable for anything other than browsing web, not good enough for any creative/productive tasks or any gaming.

oh yeah, egpu is a thing. that could work but at this point I would get a macbook even if it never moves.

not sure if they'll stop supporting them that early but they've said they would give some love to the Mac Mini and Mac Pro but still didn't deliver major improvements in years.

What? I still can use my 2011 Mac Mini for all of my iOS software. You don't know what you're talking about, gamer.

toaster computer and its proprietary

Attached: 1557055155523.png (734x566, 354K)

I can't because I feel really not in control of the experience

>Can't replace SSD, RAM, keyboard, etc
>can't go back to an earlier update
>Eventual software slowdown

>RAM, keyboard, etc
You can replace those.
>can't go back to an earlier update
You can easily.
>Eventual software slowdown
What do you mean by this?

Size I suppose. Moving I to a studio for grad school and space is important. Also considering building an mitx based on the 3600g that's rumored to come out soon.

Anothing larger than sff is out of the question.

The mini or nucs take advantage of he tb3 accessories I already own. If I build I'd have to spend time selling things before I leave

>Ssd or hdd storage can be added to he numerous usb and tb3 ports.
what's the point of having a computer with a small form factor if you need to plug in bulky external drives? defeats the purpose imo. that being said I still want one.

Build quality (keyboards all fail)
Temps/throttling kills the performance
Dislike macOS since it's incompatible with much of the software I like to use.
Dislike most laptop keyboards with low travel, but that's not unique to the macbook.

They use desktop cpus, just not the k versions only he 65w ones.
There are credible reports that hey macbook keyboard issues are due to heating. So having it in clamshell while driving a 4k monitor might cause issues. There is 0% chance I buy a macbook until they sort the kb out, not from a price perspective but I'll have papers and research to deal with and cant be without a kb for days or weeks while it gets fixed.
Yeah, I'm fairly confident it would be great for photo editing now and in 5 years.
Think it's because it's the cheapest realistic mac product for those who already have the accessories.

it's a desktop for people who live in a cupboard

But what's the point of buying it in the first place? It's a subpar computer and if money isn't the problem you can get something much better than that. If your problem is space you can find very aesthetically pleasing mini tower solutions that are just a few inches bigger. If you just want something from apple to show off get a macbook or something

>Overheats, and thermal throttles
>Little expandability
>Price is an issue when Apple had poor support for their "old" products, including for OS updates, don't expect OS updates for it for more then 4 years which is absurd for the price.
>Poor performance since it's just laptop parts.

If you're going to shell out for a MAC, its not really a good one to go for.

The Mac Mini doesn't overheat and doesn't use laptops. Apple keeps up support for older versions of macOS for some years after products are discontinued. 2011 Mac Minis were only rendered "obsolete" by Apple standards last year.

Referring to the mini in particular not the post 2016 laptops. Agreed on those points though, Apple screwed the pooch with their butterfly kb.
It most closely integrates with the accessories i already own. A nuc would do as well but they literally use laptop hardware. Thw recent i5 nuc has the same perf as the i3 mini.

Building an sff is an option but id need to use my time to sell my egpu etc. If that even takes a few hours the opportunity cost of my time is $50/h.

>Ram is user upgradeable

One of the main selling points of Apple products is that they're supposed to just werk and arrive as finished products. If you're going to buy one just to upgrade it you might as well build your own SFF PC for barely any more effort and a load less money.

Also, saying 'other than price' doesn't stop price being a massive concern. Cost, or rather opportunity cost, precludes buying macshit since you can get better performance, lower price or both elsewhere.

> Mid-end hardware
> Bloated OS
> Very low repairability/longevity
> Can do what every other OS can, worse than the others
> A status symbol of idiocy

You should really make up for the lost money your parents employed on you

>You should really make up for the lost money your parents employed on you

Attached: 1493203902151.png (536x722, 730K)

Agreed, a self assembled sff is best value. However, stability is more of a concern for me than value. Id easily spend $400 more for stability of macos. Ive had ubuntu distros be more stable than win10. But i dont have hours to spend anymore in stack exchange to troubleshoot issues that inevitably occur.
>no edgy loonix replies
>autism still causes edgy loonix reply

Macos is not somehing im worried about.

>you can easily
Show me how you go from Mojave to Sierra, Yosemite or earlier.
>but why would you do th-
It doesn't matter. You said you could easily do it, now prove it. Because I've had to study upgrades and downgrades for the macs we had in our office and know for a fact it's almost never possible to downgrade, and it's never easy.

it's inferior to all of its competitors (NUC) in both features and price

>Show me how you go from Mojave to Sierra, Yosemite or earlier.
Go to the version you want's page in the app store, download it, write file to a flash drive, boot into flash drive, install previous version. I went from High Sierra to El Capitan this way.

Ugly metal finish like every applol product. NO SOUL like applol.

The nuc is a fantastic option but offers no better performance relative to he mini given that I already have an egpu which offers better gpu perf than even hades canyon. The i5 nucs offer same perf as the i3 mini.

When you stick a 128 nvme in it and 8gb ram the price difference between the nuc and the i3 mini closes. The i5 and i7 minis trounce any nuc offered in the cpu dept.
Its industrial finish looks better than he rgb gamer aesthetic I see in battlestation general. It could also be hidden away.

it has exceptionally poor thermal design like all apple computers. it is unavoidable due to the small form factor.

that's the only conceivable reason you would even buy a mac mini, so you probably already knew that

There is no way to do that for an early enough version, that's why I said Yosemite or earlier. There's no page for those versions. And if the account you're logged under is not the one that bought the mac (a common thing in an office) then you won't even see that macOS version under Purchases, regardless of how old - you wouldn't even be able to go back to High Sierra.

It self destructs, just like all modern apple hardware.

i used to be a big fan of apple keyboards

the first wireless one i bought died after 2 years, buttons just stopped working. so i bought a wired one and took much better care of it, thinking that i had been careless in my ownership, and it also died after 2 years in exactly the same way as the first one

apple products are not designed to last, if anything they are designed to self destruct after a set lifetime, and it does not justify the price tag that they have.

I don't know why you think that, I did it with Lion on an older Mac Mini. But you have to pay for the versions back to Snow Leopard. If you need earlier than that, go to Macintosh Repository. You get a link from your search engine to the page, you can't get there from the search bar in the app store.

>One of the main selling points of Apple products is that they're supposed to just werk and arrive as finished products

>literally the only selling point of Apple products

Attached: please.jpg (1200x628, 222K)

youtu.be/J-wHQEiDKr4

Attached: 1.jpg (1602x904, 80K)

You can't install anything on it

Your time is worthless unless you are receiving actual cash for it.

All products should just work and arrive as finished products. Even kits that you build yourself are the finished product designed to fill a want.

It's because the nuc uses the best integrated graphics intel has to offer so far, just under the 2200g. Like I said, it makes no fucking difference for my NEXT dollar spent because I already have an egpu with 4x the power of that nuc igpu let alone the mac's shitty uhd 630 or w/e it is.

If i could offload my GPU to a home server and play games with a VM across the network i think i could unironically use a Mac Mini or NUC as my main desktop.

Maybe to watch movies.

Mid range not mid end.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1535285228297.gif (500x491, 376K)

Streacom do a nice case with just about the same X and Y dimensions as the Mac Mini, just a couple of CM taller.

Comes in both Optical and Clean Flavors.

Attached: st-f1c-evo-ws-both-large.jpg (2384x470, 61K)

>Spending $900+ to watch movies

Attached: seriously_goyim.jpg (203x345, 30K)

The main issue is how badly it throttles. Apple does have a custom fan curve that is supposed to aid with that but it depends more so on what you want to do with the computer. Any type of render will run really fast for about a minute, before stalling horribly, taking longer than even lower end Macbooks. This was the main reason why I returned mine. But if you are looking for more casual use and the cheapest entry point into the OS X ecosystem, you should be fine.

>Other than price, what is wrong with pic related?

Intel

>Other than price, what is wrong with pic related?
Assuming that it's a 2012, it's 6 years old. If it's a 2018, it's a POS with glued-in storage.

>overheats
>shit tier hardware in most versions
>newer versions are shit and you can't upgrade anything

And yes, also way too overpriced for what they are.
That being said, they were your go to option if you wanted to do some dev work for iOS but just didn't want to spend too much money, at least with the older versions that you could put more ram and change the hdd.
Still own an old macmini 5,2 with an i7 that's a spare desktop and was a torrent and htpc machine for a while.

horrible upgradability

It started life as a decently upgradable quad core mini PC, it is now a zero upgrade insanely overpriced piece of shit.