Is Suckless a meme Jow Forums?

Is Suckless a meme Jow Forums?

Attached: us3p0ecdga311.png (1366x768, 505K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.suckless.org/dev/1905/33482.html
suckless.org/conferences/2017/hike2017.png
codemadness.org/git/idiotbox-go/file/jewtoob.go.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes
real chads just boot up vanilla Ubuntu and open emacs

is that st

suckless is code OCD taken too far. I ain't recompiling shit to change its config because fopen(3) and getline(3) is too difficult to them and nor am I playing patch conflict clusterfuck nightmare with their ghetto implementation of community feature extensions. sometimes worse really is worse, unless you have a lot of time and patience.

Yes. They count lines of code and support transexuals.

I also love how they wring their hands about minimalism while completely ignoring the lovecraftian abyss that drives their toy programs. do yourself a favor OP and ignore GNU/Autists and go install GNOME or Budgie or something.

> having to recompile your terminal to change the font
must feel bad to be too poor to buy decent hardware

Their premise of C being completely unsuitable for anything larger than 1000loc is right, but the conclusion should be switching to a better language, not limiting yourself just because the only language you know sucks.

Attached: 1v5uuqh27vpz.png (1086x447, 158K)

linux is a meme

@70857693
Low effort. Please try harder next time

The greatest meme ever made.

the meme is using dwm unironically

dwm and C are garbage. Nice colorscheme though.

Attached: 1553030994025.png (273x213, 51K)

No, real chads boot up GuixSD/Emacs. Do you even Lisp?

>pavan
Hello pajeet

Real chads boot up their Lisp machines without any of the UNIX pseudo-minimalist cruft.

No thanks, I prefer freedom.

>bash
Reminder that bash was made by a black "person".

Plus it is bloated as fuck.

100% a meme.

Attached: suckless_exception_handling.png (1109x1108, 190K)

>running X, bash and vim
Very nice "minimalism" you've got there.

Attached: yayaka.png (251x304, 76K)

>suckless
>1000+ patches
No thanks, i use 2bwm. minimal and fast.

Yes. suckless isn't about minimalis, its about programmers who can't figure out how to properly write minimal code because they confuse it with less lines = minimal, but its just less code, not minimal

>real chads just boot up vanilla Ubuntu and open emacs
Chad also uses a single monitor and a regular keyboard, not some 40% abomination with pink fairy caps

Attached: 1542561505172.jpg (1200x801, 208K)

Based.

someone shopped away rest of the monitors again

Attached: 1542656859531.jpg (1200x801, 273K)

Are you even trying?

ugly shadows

He uses Macs now.

Attached: oooo.jpg (1357x1012, 381K)

Kek, all you need to do is edit the imac screen.

Why is his head so yellow?

a single monitor retailing for over a thousand dollars you mean

it's a meme that sucks less

Yes, and a very bad one.
Their approach to "minimalism" is extremely naive, and it boils down to "make software small and with little features", thus merely treating a symptom and not the cause.
Suckless software is not bloated only because it's small: if you actually take a look at the code itself (especially dwm) it's a complete mess. Plus, it would unironically be better organized if it were written in C++ considering the structure.
The existence of Suckless really highlights the false dichotomy many people believe in in the software world: It's either bloated, slow, unnecessarily complicated software or software that is small, but lacks so many features that you're effectively crippling yourself for no reason other than "minimalism" for its own sake.
Luckily, there is a third way: software that is well-designed, modular, featureful and possibly large, but by no means "bloated", because that size is there for a reason. Emacs is a prime example of this third way. And for an example comparable with a similar Suckless project (also one which it directly descends from), xmonad.
And whenever you worry about something "not following the Unix philosophy" stop for a moment and reflect whether the "Unix philosophy" is even worth following for your case (in many cases, it really isn't).
Also, and this is less relevant since it's an observation about the people rather than what they actually did, they have a complete misunderstanding of important computer science concepts such as separating an abstraction from its implementation, which is unbelievable for people with supposedly years of experience in the industry.
Their _founder_, for example, unironically advocates for starting to teach _programming_ to kids by _teaching the Von Neumann architecture_: lists.suckless.org/dev/1905/33482.html

Attached: jannu.jpg (850x1108, 86K)

Why do you quote like this? Are you gay?

This picture however highlights how a large monitor is better than many small ones.

This is yet more proof that C itself is a meme.
And anyone who wanks over it (Suckless included, of course) is a meme as well.

yes.

What does "black" mean in this context?

This have to be bait.

?

Post config user, absolutely kino

This nigga is spot on.
I bet you'll LOVE Sylvain Bertrand's ramblings on their mailing list. He literally once said that C "is doing too much already".

Explain to the uninformed, please.

Based.

I can't believe somebody actually wrote this

Attached: wut.gif (477x252, 1.22M)

Why do you think it's bait? It summarizes Suckass retardation perfectly.

>?
?

Nice retort.

good enough for quake 3, good enough for suckless

i hope all exceptionsfags have an unhandled exception of the heart. fuck you and fuck your shit programs that crash in mundane circumstances

this, just ignore the emacs example, that was obviously a bloted joke

>fuck you and fuck your shit programs that crash in mundane circumstances
You mean like dwm when using xrandr to change resolution?

Name one (1) comparable piece of software that is less bloated.

Maybe/Option types beat any exception/return code every day.

>Also, and this is less relevant since it's an observation about the people rather than what they actually did, they have a complete misunderstanding of important computer science concepts such as separating an abstraction from its implementation, which is unbelievable for people with supposedly years of experience in the industry.
anselm writes control software for BMW's, whereas you write insanely stupid posts accompanied by anime on Jow Forums

Sorry Anselm, being retarded despite experience is aggravating, not a justification.

werks for me

microemacs

t. electron ninja

omg monads!!!

based 2d wemon poster

>t. electron ninja
Thanks for once again proving that so many people, yourself included, really do believe in the false dichotomy of software bloat/pseudominimalism.

Seething cat-v faggot
>doing things the right way makes you an electron faggot

>call procedure to set long jump
>have to check return value for error code

Attached: dmr.gif (357x459, 21K)

Best book I've ever read.

>70861558
Avoiding giving (You)s, since trolls feed off of them. Personally, I prefer this method.

Teaching the stored program model is good if not being on assembly level.
Emacs is not a good example.
Modular software always increase bloat.
It's possible to do small programs that can be combined to do more complicated things - often called the Unix model.
And a shitload of other things.

What a waste of trips.
>Modular software always increase bloat.
The alternative is apparently some retarded patching mechanism. No thanks.

Why is emacs "bloated"?

It has a meme name, so yes

Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swabbing

> Eight Megabytes
> bloated

Yes for an editor thats bloated

It's a text editor that practically includes a full operating environment.

And that's a good thing.

Ironically suckless sucks more.

I like dwm's defaults

>that font
>dwm
You'll be happy to know they are going to drop xft support starting with the next release, because it seems like even displaying working fonts is now bloat.

Attached: anime_anime_girls_Date_A_Live_Tokisaki_Kurumi_cleavage_feet_heterochromia_no_bra-276966.jpg (1240x1753, 181K)

Emacs is a full operating environment which includes a text editor, not the other way around.

I'll just patch it back in if their own font thingy won't be good enough.
Why do so many people not realize that suckless software isn't really supposed to be used unpatched?

Maybe you just need to suck less.

Patching is a very poor man's module system, and shows how bad C really is.

A module system adds a lot of complexity and it assumes that you're gonna change your system a lot.
If you're not gonna do that why add a module system instead of just patching once and using the patched program for ages.
The convenience doesn't trump the added complexity in that case and this is the use case suckless tools are made for.

im a noob at C what does errno and signal do? i can guess time, but I have never encountered those libs before.

Attached: internet_explorer.png (1278x736, 77K)

Yes. It's a meme:
gunther.suckless.org

Also they're all white supremacist incels. They did a tiki torch hike after the Charlottesville event:
suckless.org/conferences/2017/hike2017.png

This is the git repo of the top suckless guy, he's an antisemite: codemadness.org/git/idiotbox-go/file/jewtoob.go.html

How does it add a lot of complexity? You already have it there in the implementation, where it belongs.
You, the programmer, don't have to do anything more, and it also makes your software easier both to use and customize for the end user.
That's the real beauty of the MIT approach, and the main problem with "worse is better" degeneracy.

this

>current Ubuntu LTS
>latest stable Emacs PPA
>not evil, vanilla keybinds with hydras
>helm
>spacemacs theme

This is white man territory, user.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

kek

>How does it add a lot of complexity? You already have it there in the implementation
Why would you ask a question and then immediately give the answer?

>This is white man territory, user.
Emacs is written in the language of the Jews.

Now I get it, suckless are stormfags of computing.

Looks like you misunderstood. By "implementation" I mean your entire SDK (compiler, libraries...), not your actual program.

Besides, rms himself is a jew.

Yes, he is a based Jew.

>Looks like you misunderstood.
He's probably never used a decent programming language before so that's to be expected.

Thanks bb

FUUUHHHHHHHHHHCK
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Attached: 1557249687008.png (600x388, 86K)

he is a good jew

Yeah they suck. By sheer luck, dmenu is actually good but other than that avoid their software like the plague.

dwm isn't, the rest is.