Which airflow configuration does Jow Forums prefer?

optional: (post a picture of your config)

Name your preferred type, and why.

Attached: post-229560-0-13834900-1431952597.jpg (800x744, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3441-fractal-s2-meshify-case-review
youtu.be/dLX54ounENY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The computer computer case has a very large air flow between the outer surface of this case and the inner surface of your keyboard and mouse.
The case has one of those extremely small fan fans running constantly to provide a constant flow of air to the top of your keyboard and mouse.
If you press hard on your case on every touch or click you want to make, this can cause friction, which may affect the overall performance of your laptop.
If you are not careful or if you forget to wipe your sweat off, the friction could easily cause a broken sweat-gasket on your keyboard, which might lead to frustration later in the summer or fall.

in through the front of the rack, out through the back.
this allows one to use racks as walls to insulate the cold server room from a separate room that can be used just for dealing with heat exhaust.

Intakes at the bottom, exhaust at the top, opposite sides.

PSU shrouds fucks airflow so hard fuck em all

My airflow inside a SG13. Front intake, the cool air is pushed on the cpu cooler. It's fan pushes the hot air upwards, towards the psu. The psu then takes the hot air and exhausts it behind.

Attached: IMG_20190508_162344.png (1080x777, 91K)

>optional: (post a picture of your config)
Positive pressure.

>Name your preferred type, and why.
The good type, because it's good.

Holy shit. That settles it, I'm bubble wrapping all my peripherals

Attached: InBox.jpg (1024x768, 235K)

Even configuration of input and output fans so you won't get hot air pockets, slightly preferring in if fans are uneven so air will only go through dust filters. I've mounted my radiators as output so they won't heat up my case. Aside from that, I use front and bottom as in since hot air rises and it's (negligably) easier to work with it than against it, most front fans are slightly lower than the back fans.

Attached: DEEP BLUE Project8.jpg (1920x1080, 656K)

Okay, ignorant n00b question:

Wouldn't you ideally use as many intake fans as outtake fans?

I mean, I don't know shit about air physics, but it seems to be if you have 2 things blowing air into a box, it might be a good idea to have 2 things blowing it out again.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Am I missing something?

Attached: 300.jpg (635x668, 79K)

No that's common to do. A case isn't airtight though, so if you offset the fans it'll just blow air through the cracks or suck it in through the cracks, but that's not as efficient.

No, you are correct. In some cases where you have a gpu with a blower style cooler, or perhaps a small case, where room for "dead zones" is limited, it can maybe be beneficial to include more intake, as air will likely be moving out of the case with at most two exhaust fans and for example three intake fans (excluding the blower style cooler on the gpu)

No, you want positive air pressure in the case to prevent dust from seeping in without being filtered. You want air blowing out of your vents / cracks, not blowing in.

Case airflow is a big dumb meme peddled by idiots who think because they know some jargon from ducting design they're experts on the matter, when they dont even have some fucking common sense. I dont want to even hear anything from a community who didnt even understand how the pressure flow curve was measured until last year. I'm not an expert but neither are your usual memers like Linus

The overall airflow of a case doesnt matter that much. PC cases are shitboxes with random protrusions and obstructions. Theres going to be turbulence and deadzones everywhere, if someone cared to model flow in your average atx layout they'd see how bad it can be. Which is why so many "high airflow" mesh cases get barely better temps than some of the enclosed heat traps like nzxt boxes.

If you want good cooling you need to supply ambient temp air as directly as possible to the components you want to cool. Exhaust almost doesnt matter as long as you can reasonably isolate the fresh air and cooler, hot air will find its own way out. That means the best design is literally creating a duct between a fresh intake directly to the hestsink/fan of the component you want to cool. Fan shrouds also served a similar purpose but like vrm heatsinks they either disappeared or became jokes that put aesthetic above all else.

This is partially why water coolers work so well and why its recommended you pull fresh air through the radiator even if that meant exhausting hot air into the case. A water cooling loop is basically a closed duct that exposed your components heatsink to ambient room temp air.

Even for aircooling if you want good cooling get a tube and stick it between an intake fan and your heatsinks' fans

there you go fampai

Attached: productbig-07.jpg (1000x1000, 154K)

> everyone else is stupid airflow is a meme
> gives opinion on airflow
ok retard

They're dumb because you dont optimize airflow of a case if you have hot spots you want to cool. You optimize the airflow specifically those components. Because what actually happens in most atx builds is the heat exhaust from the GPU is immediately drawn in by the CPU and raises the temp of the air being delivered to the CPU heatsinks

If it didn't involve custom handiwork I'd plaster fans all over the side panel and exhausts on the front, top and rear.

Attached: 6286988355_5b663525fd.jpg (375x500, 68K)

"high airflow" cases get vastly better temps
what in the fuck are you talking about

4U 19" rack.
Perfectly designed to take in air from the front, and pass it out through the back in a linear fashion.

baste

Any amount of fans in any arrangement get better temps than no fans though, and the greater the number of fans, the smaller the difference an additional fan will make. First fan is a difference of night and day, second fan is a decent improvement, third fan is meh, by the time you get to the fourth or fifth fan you're gaining individual degrees.

Bonus points go to anyone who can figure out what exactly is going on here.

I'll provide an explanation in a couple of minutes.

Attached: gutsfancyfans.jpg (2000x1333, 1.43M)

I think I'll do this on my rebuild... intake blowing on mobo then gpu exhausting to lid. Would crossflow front to back fuck this up?

Is that styro tube c channelled?

Is that a Noctua intake fan?

Through various reviews made by YouTubers and shit, these are pretty basic facts:
>neutral pressure usually gives the best cooling and less dust
>cable management doesn't matter and the airflow inside the case can be quite obstructed without it having noticeable effect on cooling
>the fact that heat rises has no bearing on airflow
Anything else I've forgotten?

Isolating CPU and GPU?

No, it's just a cut up pool noodle used to divide up the high and low pressure zones.

I suppose they have mostly separate intakes, but no, that's not the point. Initially this build had a purely vertical arrangement to make better use of convection, but the GPU heated the air up too much. Drawing air from the rear and letting the CPU exhaust make a 90 degree turn to align with the rest of the airflow proved to be a much better solution.

Attached: gutsfancyfans.jpg (2000x1333, 1.76M)

>sucking in hot air from the top
It's like you don't even basic physics

Passive air rising is negligible at this volume, at PC temps, especially against active airflow. The air coming out of a heatsink is probably like 35-40C. It's a hot day.

Imagine having a fan so weak that's measurably affected by the effects of hot air rising.

The true patrician has his radiators mounted on top and blowing upwards.
The middle-class drone turns his air-cooled heatsink so that it blows out the top, not the back.
The plebeian says fluid dynamics is religious-tier bullshit.

I have my radiator pointed at the back, suck it.

>The true patrician has his radiators mounted on top and blowing upwards.
What are you doing about negative pressure? Why not mount your radiator on the front and not mount fans anywhere else?

>thinking the natural upward wafting of warmed air is even close to being as powerful as a fan blowing air downward
it's like you don't even basic physics

I don't see the fucking point in any of this.

Actual fanless PSUs have honeycomb all over. How does that bottom fan even help getting air into that thing if it's closed off from that side?

And what's up with the ghetto CPU setup? Does it really need that tape plastered all over for only 90W of heat?
If you're exhausting at the top, wouldn't it make more sense to rotate the heatsink upwards? Maybe you RAM is too tall but if you're willing to ghetto the entire case, at least you could've bought some low profile RAM.

With the right choice of components you could get away with having only 2 fans, one on the GPU and one on the CPU.
And if you're super hardcore you could run a Nofan 95 and only have 1 fan directly on the GPU.

Attached: nigger.jpg (712x979, 436K)

>mfw I read your explanation 8 months ago when there was a similar discussion on Jow Forums about case airflow and know exactly what's going on in your picture

Attached: 1552566335271.jpg (253x229, 48K)

Front/Side: Intake
Rear/Top: Exhaust

Cold air in, hot air rises and exits out. Should be common sense.

I'll do you one better shitface!

>zoom in on CPU temps
>86
>85
>79C
Your motherboard must cook itself alive.
It reminds me to violently insult everyone who tries to sell
>Came out of a silent system!
>Well cared for!
>Only 3 years old!
As if it's the same as changing the oil on a Maserati that has only been on the highway.

Why would my rads blowing up effect case pressure any differently than if they were mounted on the front? Are you retarded?
The point is optimization. Thermal currents rise. Coldest supply comes from the bottom.
If you take a good k-type thermistor and measure your room you'll see that a .4 meter height increase can mean a 1C ambient increase.

Attached: 6nehbw45he.jpg (1080x1080, 402K)

you like mine then, it's very cool

Attached: muh ITX case.jpg (930x816, 347K)

Cold air in, hot air out. Have more CFM on intakes than on your exhaust so you have positive pressure to avoid dust build up. Anything else is just asking for dust or cooking your VRMs.

Positive pressure creates dead zones where heat becomes trapped, but helps prevent dust.
Negative pressure prevents dead zones but allows more dust to build up (and possibly more static charge)
Neutral pressure has no advantages and all of the drawbacks.
Cable routing does almost nothing for temps, it just looks nice.

In short
> Positive = 1-2C higher temps average but less cleaning
> Negative = 1-2C lower temps average but more cleaning and possibly more long term static damage
> Neutral = dumb
> Superclean cable placement is Autism Level 9

good case with a mesh front. one intake, one exhaust on cooler. that's all you need.

gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3441-fractal-s2-meshify-case-review

Some of Fractal's silent cases are pretty close to their meshify cases. The ultimate meme gaymur glass case the h700i, kicks a lot of popular "airflow" meme case asses.

Lmao I have a similar ITX setup except it's in the Define R5.
Was going to built everything in one of those tiny expensive cases but something came up and didn't have money to finish it.

in my case I decided on Define S, but then something came up and I decided on a ITX montherboard because it offered best performance features than anything else, also it's so small that the top fan is cooling the VRMs, the CPU and the RAM while also cooling the backplate.
You can't see it in this image but the top fan is offset towards the motherboard side rather than the normal position.

How does it feel to be wrong though?
youtu.be/dLX54ounENY

Why are there no cases where there's a fan pulling air from the side and blowing it directly on top of the motherboard hitting all the components?

Positive pressure. Less dust settles on my hardware (my intake fans have very high static pressure - Noctua IndustrialPPC). The only downside is the filters get disgusting, but I prefer the dust there and not inside my case.

Because air "flow" helps to cool components better. Where is that air going to go if it's directly hitting the motherboard? It'll displace all over the board and not actually help with cooling. You would have to put a whole bunch of fans on the side as intake then have fans blowing air out in multiple directions on all sides. Not that efficent as just having one side as intake and the opposite side exhaust. Airflow is controlled with cool air blowing in and hot air being directed out all in one direction.

i know it looks like a meme but it actually performs well.

Attached: temp.png (925x898, 557K)

You're a fucking retard

There used to be but everyone moved to glass. I still have my xigmatek elysium which has a 200mm side panel fan. Cooled like no other. There are some boutique cases that still have open side panels like several sffpc cases. There are some larger ones like the sliger Cerberus and Cerberus X.

It's easy to recognize that shitty color scheme

Have intakes in the front and it's not a meme. You want cold air blowing in and hot air rising blowing out. If you only have exhausts then you're cooking your motherboard and RAM

>How does that bottom fan even help getting air into that thing if it's closed off from that side?

It's not. The rear of the PSU, with the mains power connector, is facing downward. It's then wired with a custom cable to the rear of the case.

>And what's up with the ghetto CPU setup? Does it really need that tape plastered all over for only 90W of heat?

It improves performance. I don't care what it looks like.

>If you're exhausting at the top, wouldn't it make more sense to rotate the heatsink upwards?

Yes, but the air that's already gone through the GPU heat sink is too warm to properly cool the CPU. If I allow cool air to pass by the GPU for the sake of cooling the CPU, I need to run the fans significantly faster to make up for it.

>With the right choice of components you could get away with having only 2 fans, one on the GPU and one on the CPU.

Not without running those fans significantly faster.

The point of this system is to run without noise transients, so fan control has to be avoided. Only the CPU fan has the ability to vary its speed between 300 and 500 RPM, which it only does while running synthetic loads. During the intended workload (video editing), all fans in this system turn at 300 RPM, and nothing overheats. It's very suitable for its application.

>Your motherboard must cook itself alive.

No, because there's quite ample airflow over the board from the bottom case fans. No part except for the CPU runs over 80 C during synthetic load testing, and not even the CPU sees temperatures of over 70 C during real workloads.

Attached: gutsfrontefficiency.jpg (2000x1333, 423K)

something like this.

Attached: 301c_versatile_03.png (685x710, 184K)

Fucking miss top mounted PSUs. You could've gotten such sweet airflow onto the graphics card with bottom mounted fans, but right at the same time manufacturers came up with bottom mounted fans they also came up with bottom mounted PSUs. What a fucking meme.

1080ti sc2 oc'd to 1923mhz stays under 70c. shit feels good.

That's about average. Mine hits like 1970mhz. Try repeating it

On a side note, how do you guys connect all the fans? I have a Ggabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2, but it's only got the CPU fan connector and one extra connector, so I use the splitter that came with my HAF912.
I bought a Commander FX but if I use it to connect the others all the fans spin on max. Shouldn't connecting the fan hub via 4 pin make it control the speeds of the others?

In the side and bottom, out the top.

I'm on one of the LianLi Pc01 cases though.

Positive Pressure (in theory) keeps dust out

Negative Pressure (in theory) keeps PC a degree or two cooler

but in reality, airflow(in) = aurflow(out) is ideal, in bottom out top, slight overpressure if any imbalance, is best in real world application

you basically want your PC's insides to be as close to a fast wind tunnel as possible

Attached: BernoulliPrinciple.jpg (600x402, 42K)

Ive seen people replace one side of their PC case with a window fan, you can just do that if you really want it to be peak (or make a wall of fans into your side)

pic unrelated

Attached: inside out laptop.jpg (3264x2448, 1.3M)

Whoops meant repasting

Never have fans fight each other. Top fans need to be exhaust, bottom fans intake.

Thoughts on my X51 airflow?

Attached: x51.jpg (1000x857, 175K)

Yeah the H500 has fan configs that basically bless the GPU with cool air.

It helps keeping it close. But a little bit of positive pressure can help blow trace amounts of air through vents and cracks, preventing dust from getting into the case.

is this a good set up or not? thinking of setting it up this way for my build.

Attached: penisinvagina.png (706x506, 15K)

I wish we didn't have to talk about this and there were more submerged options available.

Please Hardcore Computers, come back.

Attached: 10n6bnk.jpg (1059x698, 55K)

I like how oems design the airflow for their confined small form factor PCs, using shrouds and chassis fans to vent air through.

Attached: __57.jpg (1600x1195, 228K)

This is basically me too

Currently all my air comes in through the PSU, a couple of PCIe slots and a single front fan.

All the air is blown out through a fuckhuge radiator with two 140mm noctua industrial fans.

I know it goes against the rising heat principles of lesser computers, but why the fuck should I care, my temps never go above 70c even whhen I'm dumping 600w into the machine.

>Why would my rads blowing up effect case pressure
Explosions generally tend to produce dangerous pressure waves that can damage components and nearby fleshy organs

Attached: washing the motherboard.jpg (960x542, 70K)

Can someone PLEASE explain to me what's the difference in the orientation of say the front and rear fans?
Shouldn't they be facing the same way despite being intake and exhaust fans respectively?

How do you all connect so many fans?
I have old mobo from 2011 and It only has 2 four pin connector for fans excluding CPU cooler.
What I do is connect my fans via molar cable so they run like a jet engine at full speed, how do you manage that?

use pwm fan splitters or a USB controlled hub splitter

they're cheap and very useful for large computers and long/messy runs

That is why some people find beneficial to use some plastic divider.

How many four pin connector do you have?
Any idea nowadays how many slots they have?

my current z370 board has 4 pwn headers. i use one for two fans with a splitter because my hardware and cable setup looks and acts the best that way, and another header to run my pump (I only have 2 big fans in my entire watercooled PC)

I have pic related. But top fan is outtake instead of intake.

What cases allow bigger fans, the standard 120mm ones are fucking SHIT

This is why that ugly sideways silverstone case was so good because it had big ass 180mm fans stock

Filtered low constant rpm intake fans as the only case fans and blocked off all the counter productive holes the case has. CPU and GPU fans themselves are temperature controlled to ramp up only when things get actually hot

Attached: Evolv-matx.png (2000x2000, 1.88M)

Most people massively overthink airflow. It doesn't matter nearly as much as you think.
Pro-tip: Convection (hot air rising) is completely irrelevant in a computer case UNLESS you're running an entirely passive setup.

That said if you have an AIO I'd recommend setting the top fans as intake, since the VRMs on your motherboard aren't going to be getting any of the cooling they'd normally get from an air cooler.

Attached: 20181117_182653.jpg (4032x3024, 3.88M)

That fucking beer tastes like sweet, malted piss.

Attached: 1445398864205.jpg (300x300, 35K)

What do you mean?
Front intakes pull air into the case
Rear exhaust guide warm air out of the case.
In most cases their direction of airflow is the same orientation in the universe.

all that fancy cooling and a shitty stock gpu....l ol ...

>shitty stock gpu
Do you see the thickness of that thing?

> pic
what the actual fuck?

looks like you have a huge pink dildo inside you case user

>That said if you have an AIO I'd recommend setting the top fans as intake
Don't do this and get a motherboard with good VRM heatsinks instead.

it just works

Attached: rosewill thor v2 fans.jpg (1280x1034, 436K)

Will need to redo this tomorrow when my ram arrives. How do you think i should go about this? My temps were meh so i bought two extra fans located as an intake on top and a intake on side panel. This is a 1950x btw.

Attached: 20190509_025140.jpg (2228x1960, 2.56M)

That is just awful. You are pulling in a lot of dust for very little benefit.

what if I remove the side panel fan?

Wait, actually if yoir side fan is intake then its good.