/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:

Previous thread:

Attached: 36D3BFD8-8424-4931-B80E-34D0287262B2.png (788x1000, 266K)

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/samba-fileserver.html
raw.githubusercontent.com/ccrma/miniAudicle/miniAudicle-1.3.3/notes/README.linux
audicle.cs.princeton.edu/mini/linux/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The file name is unfortunate, I know.

>70884815

Will using Fedora systemd/IBM stop my distrohopping?

Maybe. The most effective cure for distro hopping is finding something else to do with the distro.
Get into programming or ricing for example.

The moment you know how your system works you realize that all distros are the same and you will intuitively know which distro is right for you and chose your distro based on its philosophy and package management.

Dubs decide what I ask RMS

Attached: IMG_20190509_170218.jpg (4608x2176, 2.04M)

How he met your mother

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux

Attached: IMG_20190509_170546.jpg (4608x2176, 1.94M)

which one of these do I install if I want to play some doom?

Attached: 2019-05-09-171432_900x1600_scrot.png (864x1263, 42K)

GZDoom is the state-of-the-art engine for singleplayer. Looks like Gentoo is outdated again, 4.1.1 was released on 2019-05-04.
You need a copy of the Doom game data files to play mods. Either you copy doom.wad and doom2.wad from somewhere you bought it (e.g. DOSBox folder from Steam), you pirate them or you install freedoom as a free software dropin, although that doesn't deliver the same aesthetic as the original game.

chocolate for nostalgia
doomsday for rice
g/zdoom for whatever

Also games-fps/doom-data seems to install doom1.wad from the Doom shareware version, that might already be enough for some things.

GZDoom, and grab the shit from the OP in Doom general on /vr/ to actually play it

doom3
Suggest we use webassembly as an opportunity to include a license field on web code. This would allow us to block proprietary webassembly much more efficiently than how we can block proprietary JS.
I opened an issue on their github once and talked about this but they said they wanted the opinion of lawyers. FSF has lawyers, I suppose.

Two more (You)s so you don't forget o ask.

Where is him btw?

>Why do you support paedophilia?

Ask him if you can hug him. Then hug him. That's what I would do.

He actually explains this on his website.

Thanks. Suppose I'll try GZDoom + games-fps/doom-data for now.

Fuck off.

Attached: 1477268723466.png (1600x2162, 186K)

University of Copenhagen

fucking newfags

Are there any recommendable 2in1-Tablets to put GNU/Linux on? I want to buy a new laptop for my work as a teacher and something with touchscreen would be really nice. Because they tend to be shit most of the time, are there any recommendations at all? Something like the Thinkpad X1 Tablet but older and cheaper.
Also, is there a recommendable distro which supports touchscreen and attachable keyboards in the first place?

This makes me think of chocolate because where I live kopenhagen is a very good chocolate brand.

Probably any one of those arm notebooks/chromebooks with touch screen.

Maybe pi-top or pine64.

He's been going on about free vs open software pedantry for 20 minutes now

Help

Attached: IMG_20190509_173613.jpg (4608x2176, 1.97M)

If you were paying attention you would know it's not pedantry.

Don't forget to ask my question:

Ask him "If source code access was so useful to normal people, why didn't Lisp Machines win?"

Stop posting and listen to him!

Attached: 96d294441ee6712fcea1f0ef7ce530c42a2b35eae2c729e115e244437811753e.jpg (540x540, 43K)

But an explanation on what to install to play some doom had dubs

I know the difference and it's not a point worthy of 20 minutes

4u

you have a lot to learn son

DON'T YOU FUCKING PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THAT

Attached: 1556272832349.png (1196x703, 1.24M)

was getting caught part of your plan?

Attached: 1477386274668.jpg (900x1200, 237K)

Of course!

Attached: IMG_20190509_175402.jpg (4608x2176, 1.51M)

I didn't knew about those two, thanks.

>notebooks/chromebooks with touch screen
The option to use a 2in1 Tablet with good Linux support isn't given? A detachable keyboard would be sweet.

They are pretty much 2in1 but the screen usually turns and closes over the keyboard instead of detaching.

FREE SOFTWARE!!

Attached: Soyboy Stallman.jpg (770x470, 162K)

Saint IGNUcius is here

Attached: IMG_20190509_175912.jpg (4608x2176, 1.95M)

I hope for your sake you are not taking pictures with proprietary software, or you will not leave this room alive.

hohoho boyy you are in for some trouble now

Attached: 1477742000727.jpg (1920x1080, 552K)

VI VI VI the editor of the beast

Attached: IMG_20190509_180437.jpg (4608x2176, 1.94M)

ask him if he feels bad about giving people carpel tunnel
dubsget

Redpill me on this

Attached: EEC69BC7-2F11-45F1-8255-BD85839A837E.jpg (376x432, 36K)

Don't forget about my question please:

It's a free as in freedom Arch for when you either:
See the light of freedom or;
Can't take the online bully anymore.

Attached: 1537022004208.jpg (1024x609, 465K)

Not sure if this is more appropriate here or in dpg, but can some of you guys recommend an open source (hopefully in a non meme language) and simple (simple as in not bloated) romanization to Japanese/Chinese tool?
Google brings me some results, but there doesn't seem to be some really established solution on linux? Which I could understand as Linux seems quite English heavy for community exchange, if it wasn't for chinks being so reluctant of English most of the time..

Attached: momo_high_iq.jpg (1400x1920, 1.46M)

No dubs no question

GNU plush auction went for 1500DKK

Attached: IMG_20190509_180706.jpg (4608x2176, 2.03M)

redpill on antergos?

favorite anime waifu

It’s basically Manjaro, but better, but not quite Arch.

SO easy to install and werks.

Attached: 1473511823315.gif (500x332, 390K)

kys

reddit

no u

I have a HD that had a windows 10 installation on it. I deleted the partition and installed Ubuntu using the option to manage the partitions manually. Upon a reboot, a windows 10 error message popped up because I forgot to format the drive. How can I format this HDD so that I can install Ubuntu on a small partition and use the remaining space on the drive for NTFS storage?

Attached: 1270248918103.jpg (401x300, 35K)

stallman-sama pls answer my question thanks

>use the remaining space on the drive for NTFS storage
why?

Delete the partition table not just the partitions.

to use the PC as a media storage device

media can only be stored on NTFS?

If you want to access it from a windows machine, yes

incorrect.

elaborate

help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/samba-fileserver.html
enjoy kiddo

Last night, in order to use ChucK (incompatible with Windows 10), I dual-booted Ubuntu Studio onto my laptop.

I followed this, to the best of my ability:
raw.githubusercontent.com/ccrma/miniAudicle/miniAudicle-1.3.3/notes/README.linux
(currently it is 1.3.5.2)
audicle.cs.princeton.edu/mini/linux/
(the version of chuck it comes with is a little old, but it would seem I can update it.)

I used 'make linux-pulse' as it states. It didn't seem to work. I did as one fellow on Github suggested, renaming one reference in src, and this time 'make linux-pulse' seemed to work.
Now I have a file named 'miniAudicle' in src. The file manager calls it a shared library, not an executable. If I do 'make linux-pulse' again, it behaves in such a way that makes me think it thinks its job is done.
>make -f makefile.qt-pulse
>make[1]: Entering directory '[...]/src'
>make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'first'.
>make[1]: Leaving directory '[...]/src'
>[I can enter commands again.]
The same occurs if I enter the other possible commands, 'make linux-alsa' or ' make linux-jack'.

I feel very much like a grandma right now. Have I screwed up? If so how do I clean it up so I can start again, using all the helpful information on installing ChucK / miniAudicle on Ubuntu that I should have googled earlier?

Also, is this the place to ask for such help?

Attached: chuck_logo2.jpg (200x180, 11K)

yeah, fuck samba and fuck you too

lmao, enjoy your ntfs then if you are literally too dumb to configure samba on ubuntu, retard

I'm trying ton install Linux on one of those shotty 32gb laptops but it won't boot the usb drive or a live CD. It just says it can't do it. Now what do I do?

you provided so much info about your situation that people are going to flood you with help. there will be so much posts that you won't know who to reply to first

Search "ntfs": 0 results.

I misread the conversation.

Does it happen to be an arm notebook and you are trying to install and amd64 system on it?
Did you accidentally download arm64 thinking it was amd64?

you are fucking retarded

@70886837
no u

Are you going to ask my question? I need to go to the gym.

2 hours with linux and this happens, what the fuck

switching from windows for the first time and i'm already ripping my hair out, firefox scrolling is shit, when moving selected text to new tab it ghosts like old windows "snakes" painting, font in firefox is not antialiased looks like shit, can't figure out how to make egpu switchable, fuck

okay, i cooled down a little, how do i make egpu with exp gdc on thinkpad expresscard work? egpu works with nvidia drivers installed, but blank screen when egpu is disconnected )normal laptop use), and if i have no nvidia drivers the laptop use is fine, but egpu ofcourse doesn't work then

Attached: fgdfgd.png (400x512, 27K)

>installs manjaro
>why eberythang brokken

Attached: 1541902761446.png (834x948, 229K)

>uses a computer
>has a neverending stream of problems which drastically decrease overall quality of life

where did we go so wrong

Attached: 1252871619350.jpg (690x277, 54K)

Debian Stable + Xfce does not have this problem.

1.Dont use a shit os
2. Read the archwiki on related terms you posted here
3. Go back to windows

How do you install ungoogled chromium on void?

top kek

>has a neverending stream of problems which drastically decrease overall quality of life
That's just computers in general.

Should there be a militarized wing of GNU/Linux community?

my lels are in orbit

install guix

ask him to bless you

liquorix or xanmod?

GNU*

What is the difference between XFCE, MATE and Cinnamon?

Why would I ever use cp instead of rsync?

Xfce is an old and lightweight independent desktop
MATE is a forked version of Gnome 2
Cinnamon is a forked version of Gnome 3

Is Cinnamon as hungry as Gnome 3?

How do I , desktop environment agnostically, do things like make caps lock act as Ctrl and reverse the scrolling direction, that sort of little shit? Currently I’m using KDE and do it through the system settings but I’d like to switch to just using a WM instead of a full DE.

it's probably not too far off. off the top of my head, i'd presume it's the 2nd heaviest DE out there