The absolute state of the interwebz

The absolute state of the interwebz

Attached: screenshot.png (483x571, 190K)

Does it really take that much computing power to parse and render a dozen html elements?

>Face c u c k
Literally who cares

A dozen html elements doesn't seem much but it can add up. Those dozen elements are used for a single word. Imagine running it with that applied to every single word

all of this bloat wasting cpu time to dodge ad blockers, not running at all on browsers with ad blockers
ironic isn't it

This is unironically based, thanks for the tip

Attached: 1555610315535.jpg (540x720, 33K)

This is your own fault for using AD blockers. ENJOY.

fuck off

Easy to fix by putting the result through ocr. Dunno why devs are lazy to not do it.

>and yet my adblocker still blocks it
the absolute state of ad loving jew lizards from outer space

Attached: 1555730519839.webm (1000x666, 2.57M)

in terms of asymptotical complexity it literally doesn't, still the same

Yes. The DOM is slow when being updated frequently.

What people don't realize though is that Facebook uses react so even though the word is in so many different DOM elements, they are most likely updated without having to actually parse or manipulate the DOM

now you remember when hiro tried to host ads on Jow Forums image server and none of the adblockers blocked it
I wonder what happened to that

He is selling tracking services now.
That powerrad ai is scraping for posts and cross referencing to users via some frame analysis or something like that.
I mean you can see it when you post about something and 2 minutes later on youtube pops up as recommendation.

Don't throw around words you don't understand, moron

Worst of all they don't just split words they have all the possible combinations of letters for all the stuff they want to display there, then they use JavaScript to show/hide certain letters so the user sees the phrase or word is supposed to see.

I learnt that while trying to create a script to block """sponsored""" shit, turns out every post has the letters s,p,o,n,s,o,r,e,d in that order in every post. I had to write such retarded code to actually see if they were being showed. Fuck Facebook really wants to shove ads up my ass.

before adblockers there were gigantic ads that slowed everything down.

t. cs freshman

O(n^shit) you fool

If you need a 4Ghz quad-core to run Facebook you need to reevaluate your life.

Isn't that because of captchca?

I really like the idea of allowing non intrusive ads for a small reward that takes some time to get.

What's more ironic is that not many facebook users know how to block ads. The people that do know how to block ads generally avoid FB.

I really don't. Advertisers need to get the fuck off the internet.

You mean throttling the speeds purely for users of ad blockers?
That would be quite effective.

The problem is that companies will then just try and get whatever they can through that loophole. They'll try and specially craft intrusive ads that the browser or blocker will falsely recognize as non-intrusive and allow through. This will always happen due to the inherent nature of advertising. The whole goal is to get your attention. The advertiser wants to distract you from what you were doing and put your eyeballs on some other space where they can pitch you for whatever it is they're selling. Before you know it your non-intrusive ad scheme has failed and become just another intrusive ad scheme. Because advertising is intrusive.

this is the only good solution. All the bullshit will stop only when selling ads is no longer a viable way to make money with a web page. This will put a lot of companies out of business, including the big social-media firms, I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

ok reddit

Attached: 0ce[1].png (600x562, 433K)

Wtf has reddit to do with big o? Your didn't learn this in uni?

I hope most of us know this notation however you don't seem to understand how it's used.

then how are you suggesting these sites fund their operations? are you going to pay monthly for a facebook account? i highly fucking doubt it

>then how are you suggesting these sites fund their operations?
Donations and stickers.

>are you going to pay monthly for a facebook account?
No. Facebook is terrible.

>This will put a lot of companies out of business, including the big social-media firms, I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

It puts 98% of the web out of business.

Only shit that will remain is like online stores/local business. Low traffic, no content/bandwidth costs really

>It puts 98% of the web out of business.
The awful 98%.

>pleb thinks his quad core boosts to 4ghz
>probably has a macbook air

>don't want to pay for shit
>don't want ads
>complain they try to get ads still
>has almost no effect on cpu

But if "shit" is big enough you are still going to feel it.

or just stop using Windows

Shit is all that matters

The Internet was better when a larger percentage of its content was built and operated by hobbyists. The gradual centralization of the tools that people use to interact with each other into the hands of corporations has been a disaster in every way except for the bottom lines of those corporations. The Internet and the world would be better without them.

>using facebook
It's time to go back

In terms of asymptotic complexity you're stupid.

Wut? React still manipulates the DOM retard.

>then how are you suggesting these sites fund their operations?
I suggest they don't fund their operations and stop existing. Trying to make money out of everything is cancer
the internet was better when most sites were run by a single person

If a website can't survive without ads then it shouldn't exist in the first place.
Prove me wrong.

YouTube.

youtube can't even survive with adds

or just stop using Faceberg

Try browsing without an ad blocker. It's ridiculous.
Advertising networks even have guidelines that you are ALLOWED to use up to 20-30% of the CPU.
That basically means that they don't give a shit if they are forcing the CPU into Turbo Boost constantly.

>It puts 98% of the web out of business.
While 100% of the non-businesses sites remain.

*sip* Ah the good old days, we didn't have bloat back then.

Attached: 1527706159769.jpg (638x718, 230K)

He said to prove him wrong, not provide supporting evidence.

>page has images
B l o a t

I don't think you really understand how full of pointless crap(or bloat if you want) modern websites are.

the text based internet still exists. just use IRC.

your retarded. how am i supposed to research wild edible plants and hallucengenic mushrooms without a visual referrence?

Yeah, maybe if your computer runs to infinity like the asymptotic notation expects. But in the real world there's a noticeable difference between something running n^2 times and n^2 + 1000000000000000 times.

Have sex

save Hex

Just stop using 30 year old computer.

If you want to enjoy the benefits of the modern internet then surprise you are going to need a modern phone.

Everyone not living in your moms basement.

t. Facebook dev
It's funny that you are equating an image that has positive impact on how a web page is received to something like a 3 MB text only web page utilizing Javascript to serve that text.

>facebook
Found the problem.

>Lol just don't worry about bloat, there's no reason to optimize anything.

the ironic part is if they didnt try to run all these spammy ads that fuck up your browser, most people wouldnt use adblock to begin with

You need to know React works, user
protip: It's not like how you think it is

>friend asks me to investigate why website is slowing his desktop/crashing his phone
>look at network stats
>over 2500 requests
>only 17 make the site function
>the rest is for their embedded discord app and the avatars of thousands of users connected
yikes

Attached: 2ae.jpg (391x311, 38K)

Only the "sponsored" text is divided like this, unless the rest of the page is just as bad, this wont have any noticeable performance impact.

the textboard i'm making will actually have 0 images in its source code lol
the logo will just be a custom font, that's it
it'll have optional unfurl i guess, but that's it
works without JS
works without referers
works without cookies (unless you're a mod)
worst part is that this shit is easy af to make, why do people overcomplicate

>a single word split up into 11 HTML DOM elements
>SpSpSononSsosoSred

???

Asymptotic complexity is meaningless in the real world. You always have a constant upper bound, so an algo with very high "hidden constant" can easily lose to an optimised linear one.
For example, write mergesort in C with linked lists that allocate each node on the heap separately. Then pick up a textbook array insertion sort. Guaranteed on the current windows heap, insertion sort will always win for 50-100 integers.

Attached: 1532109632558.png (657x539, 110K)

webapps were a huge mistake