So I want a dedicated music player for various reasons-- so that I can listen to my offline music with an expandable SD...

So I want a dedicated music player for various reasons-- so that I can listen to my offline music with an expandable SD card, listen when I don't have my phone, have better battery, and so i can do autistic customization stuff like rockbox
rn I'm thinking either the sansa clip+ or clip zip
Things I want:
>15+hr battery
>(micro)sd slot
>rockbox ability
>headphone jack (must i say this?)
>fm radio
>relatively cheap, prob something i can get used
what should i get, Jow Forums?

Attached: 81b7cTlXePL._SX425_.jpg (425x413, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/p/Nexus-S-SPH-D720-16GB-Black-Sprint-Smartphone/110784611
aliexpress.com/item/32814588610.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Used is probably not going to happen but there are sanzas out there with headphone and blue tooth plus micro SD card slots. Not sure about FM radio but it's probably going to be your only option

A cheap old android smartphone with an SD card slot.
Strip it down to the bare essentials, keep it in airplane mode, you've got the best MP3 player on the market.

you can still get those on ebay, new in box, at 3x-4x the original price
or you can go see what other things rockbox supports and pick another one of those
or get something more expensive of better quality

get a Fiio M3-II

only the clip+ ticks all of those boxes
the benjie t6 comes close but the battery is a third of that and doesn't have fm radio

This, OP. All these PMPs that are being shilled have absolute trash software and locked down to boot. Buy a cheap Android phone with MicroSD, preferably a smaller one. If you're autistic about sound quality you can always get a portable DAC.

I was going to buy a benjie t6 but an user told me there's a cracking sound in between songs. That's the deal breaker

>sansa clip
>15hr battery
L O L

>All these PMPs that are being shilled have absolute trash software and locked down to boot
But that's wrong you retard, OP is asking for rockbox-compatible devices.
>suggesting oversized garbage with a fucking touchscreen
kys

Yes it's sort of a widespread issue in some units for some reason but if that happens just return it. If yours doesn't have that issue then it's alright.
I have one of the older squared ones and works fine.

ebay.com/p/Nexus-S-SPH-D720-16GB-Black-Sprint-Smartphone/110784611

The Nexus S is anywhere from $20-$40 on eBay right now. Honestly, great little Android, used it for many years. You can still buy replaceable batteries for it. This was back when Google didn't have its head up its own ass putting bloaty apps on stock Android, so you could use it right off the bat with factory settings.

Just turn off the live wallpaper, and set airplane mode, as someone else said already.

Attached: chrome_2019-04-07_16-45-12.png (76x20, 405)

I checked the reviews and someone said this isn't an issue if you're using bluetooth. Only when using wired earphones. Is this true? If so then I'll end up buying one because I mainly want to use it on my car commutes

No idea because as i said mine doesn't have that issue.
Also rockbox doesn't support Bluetooth so you lose that function, you can still boot into the stock firmware if you want Bluetooth though.

How easy is it putting music into it? Is it just drag and drop? What would you rate it out of 10. You're really helping me out here as I'm still a student and have to budget

>How easy is it putting music into it? Is it just drag and drop?
Yes, drag and drop like any flash drive.
>What would you rate it out of 10
Probably 8/10 because of the subpar battery life (~7.5h of continuous flac playback) but players that support rockbox are pretty rare and the clip+ went into meme overpriced status so it's as good as it gets.

Where do you get your music from? The last time I downloaded music was back when lime wire was a thing. I've used spotify for the most part but I'm getting tired of them now having all the music I listen to. Are those youtube to mp3 my best bet?

I use private trackers.

Rutracker is pretty good when it comes to public trackers.

agptek rocker - $60 ish
sansa clip+ - $35 ish
sansa clip jam - $80 ish
sansa fuze - $50 ish
sansa e280 - $30 ish, replacement batteries easily available
Ipod shuffle 2g - $20, hard to find good battery condition

Those prices are dated, but that’s roughly what I paid and I feel all were good values at those prices If I was buying today I’d go with the AGPTek Rocker (Benjie T6). I never got into bluetooth before but having it on my mp3 player is really nice (only available in stock firmware). Only real pain point is you can’t create playlist in the stock firmware, otherwise it’s pretty usable. I haven’t used the rockbox installation on it a whole lot other than to verify that it works. GBC games aren’t palletted yet right but seemed to run at full speed which is encouraging as far as cpu power. other than that all the usual rockbox stuff like para eq, compressor etc seemed there and working when I checked it out on my wired cans.
The battery life isn’t all that great for any of those on my list though. They generally get through a 6-8 hour workday just fine, but you’ll have to charge nightly. If you really need battery you should get a Ruizu x02. It’s is the only mp3 player I’ve had that I could use for 3-4 days before charging.
>music
For music you should get a VPN that allows port forwarding, such as Private Internet Access, and use soulseek. And get a 128-512 GiB micro SD but beware of fakes. also install ubuntu and use f3 to test all cards. I don’t know of any of those models have working FM radio because who the fuck listens to commercials?

Sandisk Sansa 260 with Rockbox.

There is no new clip+ cheaper than $100 anywhere.
This particular outdated advice pisses me off every time now, since I lost my clip+

>have basic brick ass phone
>lasts weeks at a time
>have mp3 player
>lasts weeks at a time

>have smartphone
>lasts 12 hours

who else here /multidevice/?

I stopped using my clip+ for a similar reason.
It was loud static, though.

Why not just get a cheapo 5th gen iPod, swap the HDD out for an SD card and install rockbox? You lose out on the radio, but that's about it.

clip zips can be found from 60-80 on ebay new in box sometimes, that was the price i paid for the last one i got

A

FUCKING

SMARTPHONE

Why being that weirdo with a dedicated music player and not just using your phone?

Smart phones use battery life too quickly retards. Stop making a device with limited battery a jack of all but master of none a good idea. Audio players can work a hell of a lot longer than smartphones.
See too much of 1 thing and not the whole picture can be a difference between an adventure and pure wallet rape or just rape.

Attached: Vans are indeed a mystery.png (494x340, 267K)

mine doesnt have those so probably there are some bad batches

Attached: t6.jpg (1278x1000, 290K)

you can buy mp3 players for like $1 from china. Without radio chip, and SD card. They weigh less than a gram, fucking ace. If you break one, go on to the next

Shanling m0.
Doesn't have radio, though. But it's tiny and very nice. Sometimes you can find it around 80$.

>what are power bank

Does it feel good being this retarded?

Attached: 1530924774510.gif (294x342, 492K)

>Power banks
Are you serious? Are you this mentally ill? People go out in minimal gear in summer time. They dont have backpacks, fanny packs, or other bags. They want to enjoy music and have a charge on their phones in case it is needed. Mp3 players last 3-4x longer than phones easily.

Attached: 1547572809240.gif (500x281, 2.48M)

I have a couple, and I love them, but they are very lacking and hit and miss. Have one in my bugoutbag tho

>Mp3 players last 3-4x longer than phones easily.
No. Most phones will last for 20h music playback, in airplane and with bloat turned off. If it's not enough get a old LG with zero lemon and it will probably last 80h and they have great DACs too.

A phone will also be better than any PMP, in interface, features, format support... Etc.

That said a phone isn't as neat as clip on little player. Sadly those have regressed so you would have to get a expensive old one.

iPod 5.5g with iFlash quad
>~24h battery
>four microSD slots
>most stable build of Rockbox
>headphone jack AND line out
>rockbox compatible FM radio tuners
>can be obtained cheaper than a Sansa Clip +/Zip these days

You want the agptek rocker
>15+hr battery
Not sure, but it lasts a long time. Couldn't care to have a clock running to see the maximum uptime
>(micro)sd slot
yes
>rockbox ability
yes, pic related
>headphone jack (must i say this?)
yes and no
>fm radio
I think rockbox doesn't support it (yet?)
>relatively cheap, prob something i can get used
Nothings cheap pap-wise, I'm sorry user

Attached: IMG_20190512_104045.jpg (3456x4608, 2.44M)

Are you shitting me?
I had three, not a single one was able to pass 11 hours of playback, regardless of codecs and bitrate.

>They dont have backpacks, fanny packs, or other bags

Never saw anyone travel without a backpack. Also, powerbank are so small, even a 5kmAh would be good and they fit in your pocket.

Also
>being this beta not having your girlfriend keep the powerbank in her purse

Jokes on

Attached: 424525352.png (501x506, 177K)

There was a rockbox update that doubled the clip+ battery life and before that it was like 10h so yeah

>even a 5kmAh would be good
Oh shit a whole 5 kilometers per ampere hour, fucking sick

Aside from rockbox, there's players that handle flac, have equalizers, etc., on the market for $25 or so.

I do have one more of those in the box that I may use now that my previous one died for no apparent reason...

>reply to a typo
It must be really hard to be you...

Just so you know, 5k= 5000

I broke the clip for this. Any way to fix it?

I replaced a dying battery on my clip+ to 403040 450mAh battery from Aliexpress and it lasted for ~40 hours

Holy shit these got hideously expensive. Even the Clip Zip sells for a lot because it's compatible with Rockbox.

Makes me question if there are better mp3 players for the money if the prices inflated that much.

>Any way to fix it?
Back to factory condition? You're kinda fucked. I've seen people grind off the remaining clip joint and just add a hot glued clothespin on. Hideous but functional.

soulseek. great software

>Ruizu x02
Looks neat, and is cheap, but no rockbox
>>music
Thanks, currently i use nordvpn and soulseek and im actually buying and ripping some cds

So i can mark off "own/use no apple products" on Jow Forums bingo
would you recommend?

I dont always have my phone, and battery

autism

This, highly recommend.

all me

Stop having autism.
Buy one of these, they last forever and are cheap as fuck.
aliexpress.com/item/32814588610.html

>aliexpress.com/item/32814588610.html
that doesnt have any interface for choosing

clip zip is the last of the clips that had the good DAC and are rockboxable

and despite the other recommendations, i would not get the benjie t6/agptek rocker (same thing really)
>rockbox has to be manually added along with themes, fonts, etc, and you will have to dual boot every time you turn it on and select between the rockbox and agptek firmware
>button setup on rockbox counter-intuitive, not all functions work, and you will get crashes when scrolling down your list of songs if it's over like 1k
>the player itself is bulky and awkward, which some people like and some people dont
>on original firmware, you cannot use the next/prev buttons to switch songs without pressing power first (to get it off sleep mode). this does work on rockbox kinda sorta
>on rockbox, you lose bluetooth, high-def audio support (24/96+ flac, dsd) as rockbox downsamples everything but dsd to 16/44.1khz and has no support at all for dsd

there's a few other things i didnt like about the benjie. it is a step up from the sansas in terms of DAC/audio quality and support, but too many other things got in the way of me liking it

If someone wanted to use a android phomez I'm sure there's a ROM specifically made to to optimize it as a PMP. If not then someone should def make one

When my sansa breaks I still want to get an old school iPod with a back light

Based!

All hail the Cowon D2 and its 50 hour battery life.

You're limited to 16GB + 16GB of storage though, and the internal flash is dog slow. Rockbox support exists but is limited, but the original firmware actually works really well for basic use.

Attached: D2.jpg (1024x768, 114K)

>A cheap old android smartphone
>the best MP3 player on the market

Just buy a used iPod, swap out the battery and the storage. Then you should be good to go?