Why are Thinkpads so popular?

Why are thinkpads, especially old ones, so popular among techies?
Thinkpads are frequently mentioned in the OpenBsd and Libreboot circles and especially here in Jow Forums
What´s the reason for this?

Attached: tp-x1-yoga-header.jpg (770x433, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/ThinkPad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cheap af

you're new here aren't you?
must mean summer is on the way...

freetard nonsense aside i have dropped a t420 from a roof, gone thru w7, loonix, and now recently installed win10 on it and works like a champ

keep in mind i bought this used a 5+ yrs ago
also fuck loonix

What's the best new thinkpad?

Why fuck loonies?

They're to entry-level nerds and contrarians what Macs are to "geeks" and normalfags. Undeservedly smug and cult-like community that pushes them constantly, fashionable design and brand that is seen as a status symbol within certain subcultures.

They are decently reliable, but so are a number of other systems nobody has ever heard of because the logo isn't strongly associated with a lifestyle choice.

They are historically cheap to find used. That said, these day's you'll pay more for them than you will for an Elitebook with the same cpu, ssd, and amount of RAM.

They are quickly becoming the meme that Honda Civics have become (so notoriously cheap and reliable that demand goes up, causing the cost to rise to the point that it's not as good of a deal as some other car models).

Best for performance? P52 or P72

P72, but you're gonna pay through the nose for one.

E320 here still kicking after a few beers and drops!

is it worth the money buying a thinkpad new?
or is it only worthwhile getting a 5 year old thinkpad?

Depends what you're wanting to use one for, and how much value you place on it. I make 46.50/hr, but don't need the increase in power enough to justify the radical increase in price over the ~500 I spent on my 3770W Elitebook with 32GB of RAM, 3 SSDs (1TB each), and i7 - 3940 XM.

I bought my X230T new in 2012, for something like 1100 yuros. It was my daily driver until the beginning of 2019 when I built my desktop machine, but it's still my main laptop machine. I'm pretty sure the investment was worth it.

best for security? T495

It was and is very popular with businesses and they tend to throw away older models. Tons of used laptops=inexpensive af laptops.

They are cheap laptops that can take all kinds of abuse, some even have drainage ports for spilling water on the keyboard.

Thinkpads are inferior chink shit. Huaweis are superior chink shit.

>They are decently reliable, but so are a number of other systems nobody has ever heard of because the logo isn't strongly associated with a lifestyle choice.

please post this systems since I'm looking for a new laptop.

How fucking lazy are you? Google shit yourself.

Because I've probably have heard of or researched some of them. and was wondering are there really any niche products that I haven't heard of.

T480s if you want 14"

Googling "systems nobody has ever heard of because the logo isn't strongly associated with a lifestyle choice" did not really give me any good results.

Attached: tenor[1].gif (498x498, 87K)

Good stuff:
Thinkpads
Latitudes
Elitebooks
Shit products:
Dell xps, loads of problems
Surface products
New macs
Acer/Asus and such consumer shit

>Acer/Asus and such consumer shit
That is ok stuff.

Some Asus ones are ok.
Acer is just absolute chink shit most of the time

i just want a 3:2 laptop
why can lenoshit make one REEEE
only ones available are huawei matebook or microshart surface

Isn't the x1 tablet 3:2? The newest one atleast.

They have notably long life times, and older models are upgradable and libre compatible.

Because I hate trackpads

Or better yet: You are full of shit.

see

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

Attached: 1546510049578.png (1400x586, 692K)

Smells like a bunch of bullshit you're spouting there, basically that whole post is a flat out lie.

Because Jow Forums is poor. The end.

because thinkpad is status platinum to
compatibility with GNU/Linux

Jow Forums wouldn't give Thinkpad the time of day if they held their value even half as well as Macs.

The only thing I really can't stand on my thinkpad is the fucking screen. t420 screen is so bad that I almost prefer the screen from this old 90s laptop. The colors are just hued really weird and look off. Oh yeah minor gripe but the texture of the lid is kind of shitty, looks nice but scratches way too easily, the even older thinkpads had better lids.

Also OP lurk more: wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/ThinkPad

>using windows
Install Gentoo, learn how to use a terminal and you'll never have to bitch about the screen again.

>everyone using GUI is on windows
1/10, bad bait

But user, I have to watch my chinese cartoons!

Rinkpads up to X220/T420 series are only laptops with same keyboard layout as 104 key desktop one.

So I know that many used thinkpad was cheap because companies sold theirs in bulk, but can someone explain the reason their throw out their working assets? Is it for some tax cut or something?

>durable, good hardware for the price, decent battery time, good build quality.

More worth the price compared to many other laptops. However, if it is gaming you are looking for you should look else where. But it is good for work and low end games.

>fuck loonix
>t. retard who thinks it's difficult to use
enjoy your pozdows botnet

rent free

Generic clevo rebrands. The best shit to buy if you want a gayman PC. Great specs for the price, if you buy a proper one it will have a desktop socket, MXM slot and socketed RAM. My one from 2010 is still going strong, although they used regular laptop sockets back then. Back when laptops had their own sockets.

>That said, these day's you'll pay more for them than you will for an Elitebook with the same cpu, ssd, and amount of RAM.

Other than comparing with the T4x0s/X1C, [Citation needed]

Why?

isn't x1 extreme better performance-wise?

The thinkpads I've had have been sturdy and reliable. Droppen mine twice by accident, no broken or chipped off plastic, continued to work.

They're really nice when you want to replace a part, like upgrade your RAM or your harddrive. Most laptops you have to strip completely apart and keep track of the 28 tiny screws you removed. With thinkpads, it's one screw for the harddrive, and it stays in the little plastic lid.

Thinkpads cost a bunch, but you can always find used ones for decent prices that because of their sturdyness don't appear as used out as other laptops that are as old.

What's that supposed to mean? I'm Russian.

testing

Still here bruh. ThinkPads are garbo with their low resolution displays.

It means Linux people are living in Wintoddler's heads, rent free, because Wintoddlers can't stop thinking about them.

you sound triggered

What?

They are good machines. It is a shame they stopped producing them.

Why, is my explanation wrong?

>Thinkpads are frequently mentioned in the OpenBsd and Libreboot circles
You can make them fully free x86 systems, other than that it is simple brand worship. Wannabe haxors like them because they are obsolete, black and have an utilitarian design. They will make up bullshit about the keyboard feel and build quality (you can find that in any decent laptop) but we all know they are just macfags that hate applel.

no hardware bugs on ryzen

thanks will have a look.

Thinkpads 2012+ are trash. I'm sick of Jow Forums shilling them. That Googleified Lenovo logo triggers the absolute fuck out of me.

Older Thinkpads are much better built and aesthetic. Buy those, or fuck off.

it brings lots of (you)'s

Yeah....what is Ryzenfall, Masterkey, Chimera etc I wonder? While they 'hurr durr need admin access', the same applies to Intel Spoiler and such(Only talking about those that are not patched by Intel, so Meltdown, SA-00086 and VISA are not compared to).

Did you actually notice that while AMD said that they would fix the CTS lab(Yes their practices sucks big time, and their findings were somewhat shady but that's not the point) vulnerabilities in the near future(back then), they never actually announced a fix/AGESA that actually addresses this? What do you think? I would say they probably never fixed those vulnerabilities. They might have shoved them under the rug, especially with the massive online support from fans/stockholders and the media in favor of AMD. Since the source code of the vulnerabilities were never published, we will never know.

More like the other way around.

Sorry, can't hear you over bread crumbs and dust spilling all over your keyboard.