VHS to digital?

Has anyone tried to convert vhs to digital? I could get a bunch of old vhs documentary movies for free and I thought it would be nice to convert them and just give them away for anyone whos interested, but considering how shitty vhs quality is, is it worth the trouble?

Attached: icon_VHS.jpg (1389x1389, 250K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8LEoZs_s_oQ
amazon.com/REDGO-Video-Capture-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01E5ITE2W/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=av capture card&qid=1557760746&s=electronics&sr=1-4
youtube.com/watch?v=sn_TDa9zY1c
amazon.com/Dazzle-DVD-Recorder-VHS-Converter/dp/B00EAS14KI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dazzle&qid=1557778989&s=gateway&sr=8-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No.
Only freaks with a fetish for shitty tracking lines would want that crap.

Attached: vhs.gif (400x310, 1.87M)

Good VHS tapes can look good when pulled from a good VCR. You should check if any of them are unique (as in, they don't exist digitally), and if they are, rip then and send them to archive.org.

>Good VHS tapes can look good when pulled from a good VCR.
This
youtube.com/watch?v=8LEoZs_s_oQ

do this

I have done it about 13 years ago when I wanted to digitalize grandpas old VHS-C tapes. Capturing cards were so shit back then that the best option was to capture it to miniDV then the PC using firewire. It took forever but was worth it. Quality was actually pretty decent for what it was an audio was pretty crisp. If you have a decent enough vcr and capture card I say go for it.

As someone who has been into VHS transferring for the past 5 years. With 2 high quality S-VHS TBC JVC VCRs, you are steeping into a deep subject. I also happen to collect Documentary VHS tapes.

I guess it depends on how much time and effort you want to put into this. There are easy lower quality methods and then there are slower/harder/expensive methods.

If these documentaries are hard to find or really old then they would be worth doing. I archive tapes I find myself of content that has been lost to time and sometimes upload them to YT since it rarely gets copyright strikes.

It's a bunch of aviation documentaries so I guess they are kinda rare? I'll check if they are already online but if they are not I just might put them to archive.org

The parachute
Air superiority
The romance of the air
Navy pilots
Tomcat territory
Cold war skies
The spectacle of flying
Strike from the air
Airpower and navies
Flight deck
Test pilot
Wings of gold
From Korea to the Gulf war
To farthest corners
To the moon and beyond
The Royal International Air Tattoo 1997
Airforces and armies
Thunderbirds & Blue Angels
The fight for airspace
Advantage Hornet
Wings over the sea
Flying Tigers

and a couple more

I've converted a bunch of tapes from my youth. I bought a chinese ezcap knockoff to do it.

I had forgotten how low the video quality was. It was sort of okay back then when I was watching it from my 17" tv but nowadays it's like watching a 240p youtube video.

This. If you are a perfectionist, OP, be cautious. VHS capturing can be a real money pit if you want great results.

I recommend you just get a decent USB capture card ($50-$100) that supports GNU and capture your tapes in VirtualDub (works with WINE) with HuffYUV, then use ffmpeg to compress them. If you upload them online you should use VirtualDub to deinterlace them.

i do this fairly often to rip from a VHS camcorder i like to make recordings with, its really easy

you pretty much just do this:

1: buy this amazon.com/REDGO-Video-Capture-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01E5ITE2W/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=av capture card&qid=1557760746&s=electronics&sr=1-4

2: download OBS

3: set the capture card as a recording device, set up all the video options, fps, encoding, etc

4: plug the VCR in, hit play, hit record

congrats you get a MP4 of whatever goes into the capture card

Doesn't OBS output all files as progressive?

i dunno lol

Attached: 1522576217777.jpg (750x713, 123K)

I'm pretty sure it does. You probably shouldn't use it to capture VHS tapes.

What you do is record the vhs signal multiple times (because each playback can be slightly different and have errors in different places) and then mux the signals together to produce a super-fine digital copy. You can actually get reasonable quality doing this.

Attached: image.jpg (735x638, 356K)

I plan on converting my VHS tapes as well and just bought a capture device just last night.

>you are steeping into a deep subject
Fucking this so much, I got into this thinking this shit would be something quick and simple to do and boy was I wrong. I honestly didn't think converting VHS to digital would be this deep but to be fair, it mostly comes from never truly understanding the VHS though. I guess its one of those things where when you've used something for so long and never actually tried to understand it.

After doing some bit of googling though I found a video tutorial that seemed helpful to me so I had plan on doing something similar.

youtube.com/watch?v=sn_TDa9zY1c

Attached: 1535861913512.png (950x534, 907K)

VirtualDub is definitely your best bet for software. It runs well in WINE. That video is good for showing the basics, and is really all you need. The "optimal" consumer setup for capturing VHS tapes could cost well over $2000 these days, so it really isn't worth it to go too deep. I mean, a good TBC alone will set you back almost a grand.

Yes but you have to convert them at 60fps, look it up

Buy a dazzle. amazon.com/Dazzle-DVD-Recorder-VHS-Converter/dp/B00EAS14KI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dazzle&qid=1557778989&s=gateway&sr=8-2

VHS capture is worth it for rare stuff or personal recordings that were never digitized.
Thought I'd ask here, do any of you guys deinterlace/IVTC old shitty VHS and DVDs? How do you go about doing it? I thought about trying Avisynth since I can't figure out Vapoursynth but I don't know if I can work this shit in Wine.

I store a high bitrate copy with interlacing preserved and if I want to upload it to something like YT I'll run it through ffmpeg with a command ("yadif=deinterlace=1:0" -r 50 or 60) to create a progressive 50/60Hz version.