/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread/fglt/

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:

Previous thread:

Attached: yuri-kernel-clone.vp8.1.6mbs.webm (1280x720, 2.69M)

Other urls found in this thread:

alternativeto.net/software/snapchat/?license=opensource&platform=linux
alternativeto.net/software/whatsapp/?license=opensource&platform=linux
alternativeto.net/software/telegram/?license=opensource&platform=linux
pcworld.com/article/3394680/how-windows-and-chrome-quietly-made-2019-the-year-of-linux-on-the-desktop.html
opendesktop.org/p/999999/
opendesktop.org/p/999998/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first :)

first for GNU/Linux/BSD/Haiku/ReactOS/Solarisetc

Windows 10 soon will be best Linux distro

Attached: 1553288690136.jpg (500x625, 125K)

1st place in SuperTuxKart

Attached: supertuxkart-hud.vp8.webm (1280x720, 1.78M)

>If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
>0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
>1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
>2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
>3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

wouldn't be much simpler to just use WSL?

who needs other games when there's tuxcart

How does one take the FOSS pill ? I want to be free (as in freedom) but I don't want to be some alienated autist who can't keep in touch with his friends and co-workers

>How does one take the FOSS pill
there's no FOSS, Neo.. There's only free software.

It'd be funny if it weren't true. Satya recognizes they're losing devs to *nix variants, including crApple's shitty platform. *nix is too powerful to ignore anymore, both in the consumer and enterprise space.

Attached: thumbs_up_cat.png (720x714, 722K)

>who can't keep in touch with his friends and co-workers
If your "friends" become less friendly because of your OS choice, then get rid of false friends.

For me, it involves using virtual machines if I need to use some proprietary software.

>be me yesterday
>after a couple of years decided to ditch Gentoo because don't want to fix my system as a hobby anymore
>fuck it remove partitions, install Debian
>upgrade to Sid, install everything I used before
>dotfiles still there thanks to separate /home
>it's late, time to go to sleep -- oh wow, hibernate just werks
>try to resume today, instant emergency mode
>dbus error, journalctl pretty much useless
>try to fix shit, nothing actually works, want to kms
>don't know what to do anymore, reinstall systemd
>mfw it actually works
Welcome to my blog

Attached: 498.png (906x799, 604K)

from their point of view you're being needlessly difficult and antisocial

Tell them that they are corporate zombies who serve their psychopath leaders in an anti-human system, they have no right to even use the word "social". Either you swallow the pill, or remain amongst them for the rest of your life.

I mean i can't use Snapchat, whatsapp, regular sms, messenger, Facebook, Twitter etc. I'll look like a stuck up autist demanding they'll use a free software to keep in touch with me

Take your quasi-religius dogma elsewhere.

Take your corporate newspeak elsewhere.

Is Debian Sid (minimal netinst) more or less stable than Arch?

Supposedly Viber works well on Linux

The fuck is Viber?

Do you guys think someone in these threads likes K-Pop maybe?
Just a guess

It's a whatsapp type thing popular in Asia

Ah looked it up. Looks neat

>I mean i can't use Snapchat, whatsapp, regular sms, messenger, Facebook, Twitter etc.
Facebook and Twitter are not programs.

>Have an OS so shitty you need to have containers running another kernel.
>windows is winning guise.

Seems to me they're falling fast and are just trying to force their way into the market, but hey EMOJIS and GPU ACCELERATION FOR A FUCKING TERMINAL

>WSL
World Surf League?

alternativeto.net/software/snapchat/?license=opensource&platform=linux
alternativeto.net/software/whatsapp/?license=opensource&platform=linux
alternativeto.net/software/telegram/?license=opensource&platform=linux

>apex predator Microsoft: fuck open source!
>deteriorating Microsoft: we are open source!

Honeslty user, I wouldn't touch any of those programs with a 10 foot pole even if I could easily use them.
also fb and twatter are just websites user, you can use them. I still wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole though, personally.

>I'll look like a stuck up autist demanding they'll use a free software to keep in touch with me
Think of it more as if you're demanding that your friends not be faggots. Because in this case they're basically the same thing.

>look how relevant we are guys! MIt license! linux kernel!
>Hello, guys? please don't ignore my patents as it's the only thing that keeps me going.

Ask yourself if it's worth it to use those services; look how absolutely awful they have proven themselves to be.

Regular sms is fine IMO as long as you don't use sensitive information, gotta get a threat model.

They're not free is what I mean. I couldn't use them if I were to take the same pill stallman took

I admit that. It's not something I feel a need to hide on an anonymous image-board.

Attached: stallmanpage-sunmidancing-1.4m.webm (1280x720, 2.6M)

I'm a bit stuck here fellas, just installed Fedora 30 alongside Windows 10 on UEFI and I'm getting nothing but the good old grub rescue.
Tried pretty much everything I found online without any success.
Thots?

I get where you're coming from. There's really no alternative to throwing in the towel and joining one of them, pick the one most of your friends and family's on and use that on a phone or something. Having one of those things really is enough. Getting everyone to switch to a free solution is something you could try but it is a very hard battle and there's no winning; why should a friend use matrix when you're the only one that friend knows who uses it?

Not really helpful. At all. The most basic problem with messaging services like Snapchat and and "social media" like Facebook is the network effect. Yes, you can use Signal or a matrix client like Spectral to talk to people. Alternative _software_ exists. Alternative software you can use to talk to your friends on Snapchat do not exist.

Basically people use Facebook because everyone they know who are willing to use a "social network" like that are on Facebook.

>Ask yourself if it's worth it to use those services
Being on one, however problematic that is, is kind of worth it. It's not that Telegram or Snapchat or whatever poison you pick is great, it's just that not having one is kind of like not having a phone number or e-mail these days.

Windows is the future of desktop linux now.
pcworld.com/article/3394680/how-windows-and-chrome-quietly-made-2019-the-year-of-linux-on-the-desktop.html

But what does windows have to do with the World Surf League?

>Being on one, however problematic that is, is kind of worth it. It's not that Telegram or Snapchat or whatever poison you pick is great, it's just that not having one is kind of like not having a phone number or e-mail these days

I don't think it really compares with email or phones but okay, I'm sur you know what you're getting into.

How does peooerirary software work in regards to code review ? Are there people from outside the company reviewing each release to make sure there isn't anything malicious/ illegal added to the source code ?

>it's just that not having one is kind of like not having a phone number or e-mail these days.
False, you compare fundamental technologies like cell phone communication and e-mail service to particular proprietary programs. It's like saying in the 90s, "if you don't have a Nokia or Outlook Express, you're outdated". This is misleading.

>I don't think it really compares with email or phones
>you compare fundamental technologies like cell phone communication and e-mail service to particular proprietary programs

you girls have a point, but here's exactly why I wrote that: Two of my nephews don't have e-mail they check ever or use for more than signing up for things that require e-mail. they also don't have SIM-cards in their phones and they are totally fine with that. They have Snapchat. They can use that where ever there is wifi, which is everywhere.

E-mail is universal, so are phone numbers. yes, that's true. It's obvious that a messaging service absolutely should work the same way. And protocols like XMPP and Matrix are open and you can implement your own servers and clients like you can with e-mail. Snapchat is clearly not a open protocol or standard or at good thing. At all. It's all bad. However.. in practice the choice I have is no contact with those nephews ever or have Snapchat installed on my phone. That's the choice.

>abcde(1)
What do these numbers in brackets at the end of BSD utilities names mean?

>in practice the choice I have is no contact with those nephews ever or have Snapchat installed on my phone. That's the choice.
It's not your fault they're too retarded to check a fucking email.

But, i do get what you're saying. I use skype once in awhile to contact my mother.

>company
What are we really talking about here? Most open source code isn't coming from a company, it's just individuals.
Most of the big projects have many separate contributors that often just keep appraised of all the patches. So you don't need to review the entire codebase every time, you just keep track of everything that changes.

Also, this is a less concrete answer, but really on GNU/Linux it's just so easy to notice strange behavior because it's practically unheard of for our machines to do almost anything we don't expect.
Nothing ever "pops up", nothing ever hiccups, nothing ever stutters or feels laggy unless I know exactly why (e.g. I'm compiling shit). It just doesn't happen. If my machine just hiccuped right now for no reason I'd probably waste at a bare minimum 10min trying to figure out what caused it because it would be so unusual.

It's the same story when it comes to network traffic. I remember before switching to GNU/Linux I just thought that the little LED on my router was supposed to blink 24/7. Now it stays completely dead unless I actually do something to create network traffic.
A lot of GNU/Linux users also like to monitor their network activity with flashy desktop or panel applets and shit, where a single unexplained spike would cause concern.

It's reasons like that I'm not concerned at all that we'll ever have real malware that will go more than a month without being detected by someone. Once someone realizes their machine is behaving even just a bit strangely they'd investigate, find some program that's using more resources than it should, and then go ask the developer why. Eventually the malware would be found.

>desktop linux
>using windows

Attached: 1557002596662.jpg (700x781, 197K)

>in practice the choice I have is no contact with those nephews ever or have Snapchat installed on my phone. That's the choice.
Holy shit, just make them install a different application. Make them use Wire.
Your nephews are dumbified kids who need some education and a strong mentor in their consumerist lives, quit being a fucking pussy for a change.

Imagine being such a poser and loser, thinking that arranging certain things on a computer like this makes you special or a unique interesting snowflake.

These are references to manual sections. Now get your BSD shit outta here.

Imagine having no fun in life and wasting it with bring angry.

That's a lot of assumptions and implications to make just to say "I don't like k-pop"

>Now get your BSD shit outta here.
this is a wrong position altogether, I strongly believe that these threads should be extended and include all free and *nix systems, it should be GNU/Linux/BSD/Haiku/ReactOS/etc.

>Vote Green in Australia
wtf I hate stallmeme now

>combining communities that hate each others
good luck

>*nix
i.e. macfags

>I couldn't use them if I were to take the same pill stallman took
Nah you can, it's not a fucking cloak-and-dagger organization with a supreme leader. Just be aware of their Java implementation, of their data gathering, of their arrogance etc.

It's the section of the system manual they're referring to, which you can use as the first parameter to the man pager:
man 1 abcde
As an example for collisions, on GNU/Linux there's usually a man page readlink(1) which describes the executable which reads the target of a symbolic link, readlink(2) which describes the synonymous kernel system call, readlink(3) which describes the standard library function that acts as a wrapper around that system call, and on my system readlink(3p) which is the respective description from the POSIX standard. When I only invoke "man readlink", it asks me which section I want.
This is usually superfluous for third-party programs because they tend to only exist in section 1 anyway.

Did the *buntus push the fix for firefox yet? I'm not sure if they are just taking forever or if my install is broken due to upgrading. Yes I know i can fix it myself.

>are dumbified kids who need some education and a strong mentor in their consumerist lives
The sad thing is this is actually 100% correct and it also applies to adults and even entire corporations.

It's amazing how close to basically being a new "wild west" the internet still is to this very day. Websites literally make their own rules, and all of our rights were completely made up by companies. Hell "digital rights" is literally a business gimmick to maintain copyrights.
The actual users of the internet have no real rights defined.

The whole world needs a fucking role model when it comes to this stuff. It's like the dark ages. It's just the blind leading the blind because they think the people building the biggest most polished shit are somehow intelligent and have their best interests at heart when that couldn't be further from the truth. They don't know jack shit except profits.
It feels kinda shitty knowing that kids 100yrs from now are going to look back on us laughing at how dumb we are and there's nothing I can do about being lumped in with the masses.

>combining communities that hate each others
Not really, they don't, it's only a bunch of loudmouthed irrelevant idiots who make it look like this. Real free software developers are always glad to cooperate.

>free *nix systems

>look at me, he he i'm such a hacker lol i have a few terminal emulators open with a tiled layout he he i am compiling things surely these plebs have never seen something like this, he he i am such a hacker, they will be impressed by this, i am new here so i better post this thing i think is cool and that those people have never seen he he i am such a hacker he he

In your dreams.

so... you don't like k-pop

kek

ah thanks

lub cherry motion

Didin't see the new thread so let me post again. Anyone running an alternate cursor? The default one I have on arch looks like shit. Any reccs?

Well, maybe, at least I can project my imagination into the future in an attempt to better things and realize possibilities, but you can remain in the cesspool of petty quarrels if you want.

Attached: 1557751354002.png (800x588, 64K)

I like this one
opendesktop.org/p/999999/
Also check out that GET holy shit sextuple 9's

Also I checked to see which theme was the poor unfortunate 1-off and to my surprise this theme is pretty sick too
opendesktop.org/p/999998/
I might even switch to this one instead

what the hell does arch emblem mean? is it a swordsman facing the opponent? is it an old building? is it a spearhead?

i've personally found bootctl (part of systemd) to be simpler and more congruent than grub for uefi installations. the arch wiki has good info.
seems like something you could easily find out on packages.ubuntu.com
yay -Ss cursor
eww

>yay -Ss cursor
How is the name of a cursor gonna help me decide if I like it or not?

packages have descriptions and it's very easy to remove a package if you don't like it :^)

Hello, Jow Forums. I just recently started using linux, because i was fed up with windows 10. and, you know, it's interesting. took me a long time to even install it properly.

And now, everything is much more complicated than with windows 10. at least it looks like it, because i don't really understand it. but i have the feeling that it's not really that hard underneath the shell, and it feels interesting. Can someone recommend me a very simple tutorial video or something for really stupid people like me? I would love to keep using linux and learning to understand it. I don't want to just learn all the weird commands every time i have to do something by looking them up, i would love to really understand the system behind it.

Attached: 1557678728331.png (1373x833, 59K)

This is a first time for me: I got a HDD from a friend, supposedly ntfs, but it shows as completely empty in fdisk. Any tips on what i could check here besides putting it in a windows machine tomorrow?

Here's a you for good taste

Attached: 김재경.조현영.jpg (1500x1101, 285K)

he's OP, OP doesn't get any (you)s

Most people here just learned piece by piece over years of using it. Just saying, we get a lot of posts like yours and they usually don't get many replies. I'm sure there's good resources out there, even if noone here can give a good recommendation.
I mean, imagine someone asked you for a tutorial resource on windows. Even though you know how to use it you probably wouldn't know what to tell them.
But feel free to ask in here about specific details and you'll probably get more answers.

It shouldn't be any more complicated than windows to do simple daily tasks though. Which distro did you choose?

he's Op, Op is always thirsty for attention

To make the comparison; how did you learn windows? You'll notice there's not a single way but rather trying yourself through the little bits over time.

You may enjoy reading some stuff on itsFoss, watching some videos on Distrotube, LearnLinuxTv and all that normie jazz. If you're not intending to dive fully in and make a minimal or even a from scratch install it's best to tinker on the parts that you feel could be better suited to you, else just let it run till it breaks and ask for help here or one of the other many places on the internet.

user if you installed it and using it you are already there.
There is no point in learning "how it all works" if you are doing day to day stuff
As said we learned by searching how to do [x] everytime we wanted to do something new.
Besides all you need is:
installing it-you already did it and you can browse the web/torrenr/watch movies
installing new programms-there are like 3-4 commands depending on your distros package manager and thats it.Even easier with a built in package explorer
installing wine for exes-literally copy paste 5 commands from wine wiki and wa-la you can run exes by right click -> open with wine
what more do you need?
after a month of copy/pasting commands you ll know all that you need and wont be bothered again.

thx for the answers guys, i'll just keep organically exploring it.

I'm on Ubuntu 19.04 and trying to compile something and it turns out for some reason the cpp package has been 'held back' because of fucking reasons.

`The following packages have been kept back:
cpp
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 1 not to upgrade.`

now what the fuck do I do?
I've tried
apt update and apt full-upgrade and also apt autoremove and apt clean
just wanted to compile something

Do you have gcc installed and upgraded? On my system, cpp is just a wrapper for gcc.

nope, it's not installed and when I try sudo apt install gcc it gives this bs
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
gcc : Depends: cpp (= 4:8.3.0-1ubuntu3) but 4:7.3.0-3ubuntu2.1 is to be installed
Depends: gcc-8 (>= 8.3.0-1~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Remove cpp?

oh and I already tried apt install -f
it just says
sudo apt install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 1 not to upgrade.

oh god I'm scared
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
fprintd libfprint0 libpam-fprintd
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED
cpp gdm3 ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal x11-session-utils
x11-xserver-utils xorg
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 7 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
After this operation, 2,883 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

> ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal
So these metapackages or gdm include the old cpp version. Well.
debootstrap a chroot or install LXC to use it for building.

;_;
fuck canonical

quick question, i'm using 1920x1080 on my 27'' monitor, but it still feels corny. am i doing something wrong? did i miss something? ubuntu

use aptitude

Faggot leftist kpop retard kys

It won't change what this implies

27 inch is already a pretty large screen for a 1920x1080 resolution (22-23 inch is the optimal monitor size for that resolution, my 19" 1280x1024 second screen has a higher pixel-per-inch resolution than that), but if that's your monitor's native resolution, you're doing nothing wrong.
If you have a 1440p screen, you may try connecting via HDMI or DisplayPort instead if you're using DVI right now, which is not enough without Dual-Link and barely enough with it.

ok, guess i gotta get used to it. been using the same resolution with windows 10 and it seemed much more sharp. ty user

>To make the comparison; how did you learn windows

Nobody but boomers has to "learn" using windows, we, or at least 99.9% of us, grew up using windows

that's some weird shit going on
you could always use something like nix or guix to get it