Does Jow Forums take the necessary steps to protect your computer parts against ESD, Jow Forums?

Does Jow Forums take the necessary steps to protect your computer parts against ESD, Jow Forums?

Attached: prevention-and-control-of-electrostatic-discharge-1346605404.png (1024x681, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rs-online.com/designspark/how-to-neutralise-a-charge-on-an-object-that-cannot-be-grounded
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I touch the ground pins on the based EU schuko socket.

Attached: d0de71a5f06c7c88d877d718c2299773.jpg (220x140, 7K)

Gay meme bullshit. I built dozen of PCs barefoot on a carpet and not once I've fucking anything up. The only thing I do is touching my radiator to ground myself once.

Is that safe?

pretty much this. touch the case then the part. never had an issue building directly on carpet, on carpet with socks, etc. Just never seen a need for it personally.

Yes, why wouldn't it be?

Not exactly. I'm just trying to stop the suffering.

As someone who gas gone through about a dozen pc builds for friends and family, I've found plugging in the PSU into the pc case (while turned off) and touching the PSU every minute is more than enough to dissipate any hazardous static electricity. No need for ESD mats/bracelets and all that other pointless snake oil.

What if you get grounded?

The ESD mat is useful if you haven't put the motherboard in the chassis yet.

>grounded
Groundecuted

Just put it on the bag or the fucking box

>Just put it on the bag

He doesn't know.

Attached: 1440258438184.jpg (251x242, 10K)

This, it only takes like 2 minutes at most to stick the RAM, CPU & stock heatsink in. Since this is the preliminary installation that requires the hours of burn in you're not going to be changing stock TIM anyway.

What you think a PLASTIC bag is conductive?

destroyed a mobo by plugging in a 3.5mm. Had touched the case and felt a shock, still, when I plugged it in there was static.

Computer worked until I put it to sleep then it never booted again.

Carpets are for poors, just have hardwood flooring. Even fucking lino is better than carpet.

>Wood
>Not beautiful masonry
Pleb

Let's bust some myths.

That is the entire point. The exposed metal is ground. It's connected to your radiators, water taps and all exposed metal on your devices.

>touch the case then the part

This is not a guarantee that you won't cause an ESD to occur; you, the case and the part can all be at different voltages relative to each other.

It does work if you're already holding the part in your hand, however; then there's no air gap for a spark to form between the component and you, only between your hand and the case.

>...and touching the PSU every minute is more than enough to dissipate any hazardous static electricity

Make that "every time you move considerably", and we're on the same page. Static charge accumulates when you rub against stuff that isn't conductive (or everything if your shoes aren't conductive); plastic flooring, some wooden flooring, plastic carpeting, or even dry air.

There's nothing wrong with putting your boards on their bags. Antistatic bags that do not literally look like aluminium foil are not conductive at all. Just putting your board on top of the bag won't do you much good, though.

--

Pictured is my terrible ESD mitigation job. Aluminium tape that's crocodile clipped to the ground prong on a schuko, plus ESD shoes. This space would be impossible to work in if not for the tape.

Attached: esdfloorandshoes.jpg (1500x1000, 392K)

Something being non-conductive doesn't mean it can't hold a charge.

rs-online.com/designspark/how-to-neutralise-a-charge-on-an-object-that-cannot-be-grounded

Yes, that is a big part of ESD mitigation. You want to minimize your non-conductive things.

Attached: calm explanation cadpig.jpg (438x438, 38K)

Used to have a Fujitsu PC at the university that had something wrong with it. If you turned it off while a USB flash drive was still in it, the flash drive would be toast. All data gone, even the partition table would be overwritten by gibberish.

Doesn't the same hold true for the outside of the esd bag then?

Yes of course, an ESD bag is not magically safe to put something down on just because it's an ESD bag. It is however safe to take a board out of the bag and then place it on top of it. There's this odd myth that you shouldn't put boards on ESD bags because they're conductive, and that's bollocks, and what I was talking about.

This is the equivalent of audiophiles needing $500 cable risers and anaconda cables

It really isn't; every time you throw a spark when touching your computer or an electronic component, there's a very real risk that it gets destroyed. It's only a problem when there's actual sparks flying, however.

No, I never did anything against static charges, and that worked fine for me.

They aren't as much of a risk as everyone claims, you have to be very unfortunate or build a pc fequently to encounter this problem.

>I've smoked for 20 years and never had any bad consequences

only this is proven to have no bad side-effects.

[citation needed]

being barefoot actually helps dissipate static charges

esd wrist straps have a 1 meg ohm resistor in them to limit the current that will flow through you, but touching a ground prong is fairly safe if you have your other hand in your pocket to avoid touching anything that could be at mains potential

>pointless snake oil
esd equipment is absolutely not snake oil but it's not necessarily while assembling pcs

populated boards like pc motherboards are fairly resistant to static charges that a human would reasonably generate while assembling the pc, assuming you're not doing something silly like wearing wool socks with nylon clothing and shuffling about on a nylon carpet, and ICs usually have some amount of static protection built in, but to suggest there's no side effects is just blatantly wrong

No

I do when I work with legacy systems or systems that explicitly say they need it. Most modern systems are built to withstand ESD so not as much anymore.

Attached: 1535757138311.png (550x552, 1.27M)

Any exposed metal that you can touch is supposed to be grounded in the first place. All you have to do is ground yourself.

>It's connected to your radiators, water taps
That is extremely dangerous, a fault risks electrifying the water. I've been shocked twice while trying to wash my hands because of that shit (my parents' house had its ground connected to the water pipes). If anyone reading this has their ground made this way, HAVE IT FIXED. You DO NOT want a fault to happen while you're in the shower or soaking in a tub. Your breakers WILL NOT work, since they're likely not GFCI either.

no, its a meme, I wear socks on carpet while working on my computer and nothing ever happened. just touch the case before you start and stop shuffling instead of walking.

No, this is likely wrong for two reasons. First, your water pipes and electrical ground are usually tied together naturally, by being metal objects in the moist earth. Having mains ground in your taps is not a fault. Tapping ground from your water pipes to your electrical outlets however, is not to be recommended, since you don't know the quality of the circuit, and it can put plumbers in serious danger if they cut a pipe that's become current carrying.

Second, what usually causes you to get shocks from water taps and radiators, is when you hook up modern appliances (computers, TVs, almost anything) with ground connections to old, ungrounded outlets, or outlets that don't have ground wired up.

Such devices always have a slight leakage current to ground by design, so if there's no ground terminal in the outlet to pass that current through, it'll take the next best path - and that can sometimes be through you and the water pipe.

This current is not dangerous, it's very low, but it can be very painful regardless. I've experienced it myself quite a few times in some old houses, and you do feel as if you're going to die.

Attached: face frontal cadpig.jpg (1071x803, 102K)

...that said, getting shocked from the tap could of course also be caused by someone trying and failing to ground devices through the water lines, and you have actual ground present in your kitchen/shower, but the pipes that someone has tried to ground their appliances to is not actually tied to ground (by being a partial plastic pipe run or something of the likes).

A likely scenario would be if someone has tied a ground from a PC or TV to a radiator, which runs a metal pipe to the boiler, which also runs a metal pipe to the shower, but the actual water main is plastic. That would apply a voltage to the entire water system.

If you then have metal drain piping in the shower, you would feel pain when holding the water tap, since you're completing the circuit between the tap and ground coming from the metal drain pipe.

Attached: thinking about key cadpig.jpg (800x722, 84K)

Ground bus bar a required and must be grounded separately from you mains

I just slap a metal part of my wall before I work on shit, it's worked well so far

In Europe it is. Neutral is not shared with ground like in Murica.