/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Pentium Gold - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>i3 9100 - Recommended minimum gaming
>i5 9400F/9600K - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>i9 9900K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Always avoid AMD if gaming
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Attached: pc-building-simulator-cover.jpg (271x377, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/j24Vkd
pcpartpicker.com/list/n2rNdX
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Mice
lime-technology.com/wp/hardware-recommendations/
it.pcpartpicker.com/list/L4hbbX
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>all the recommended CPUs are Incel
>all the recommended GPUs are Nvidiot
Really makes you think

Stop it, OP!
You're hurting people! I'm literally shaking right now.

>old AM3 mobo is dying
>zen 2 CPUs/mobos are too far away
kill me

To be fair, if the AMD shill didn't start this shit slinging fest, we wouldnt be here.

Because AMD is trash for poor niggers

>used to love 5.25" fan controllers
>Thought that the touch screen ones where you could link multiple fans together and control them from the same channel was the epitome of cool
>Now all fans are PWM and can easily be set via software
Kinda depressed honestly

Attached: 1544425131916.jpg (1579x4096, 1.04M)

At what point do you need to consider dedicated cooling for your HDDs?

BASED

honestly with your normal room ambient temp, never.

The only time you need active cooling for HDDs would be in a hot server room, or a big server case that has a lot of other heat generating components.

In your normal desktop situations you'll pretty much never reach temps that would REQUIRE active cooling.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/j24Vkd
Any recomendations /stuff im missing / stuff i don't need?

Attached: vuiltinb.png (1258x738, 65K)

Having a bunch of mechanical HDDs in close proximity to each other. Pic related, my server. When running backup on all the arrays to my 8TB, HDD temps would climb like 10C with all drives working
2x 140mm fans in front even with super low air flow drops that increase to only 3C

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_431538011079097_20190513_110737366.jpg (2048x1536, 1.1M)

That's your autism though, a 10C rise in temp would not effect anything, HDDs are good up to like 55-60c

Even if you're hitting 50c, you're fine.

Yea drives we're only hitting 51C at.their height. Now they only see 43-44C. Nothing wrong with adding a little case flow to reduce temps, but no need to go out of your way to do so

this thread and its OP is fucking trash

Based and redpilled

Attached: 1557343569884.jpg (1280x960, 290K)

it's not any more trash than the AMD shill threads with only AMD GPUs and only AMD CPUs in the recommendations.

So I'm getting some weird noises from my rig. I think one of the fans might need their bearings oiled. What oil do you guys recommend for the job? I've heard that WD-40 isn't good because it's not specialized for lighter parts.

buy a new fan

Do server HDDs always need a PCIe controller card? Can't you just plug the HDDs into the motherboard SATA ports?

This. Buy a not shit fan this time

>that video game
>available on consoles only
>lmao

Rate my SFF mini ITX build

pcpartpicker.com/list/n2rNdX

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for slim internal OD drives, i would greatly appreciate it since there seems to be little discussion on the topic.

Most motherboards don't have that many SATA ports.

The standard is 4-6 ports, some boards have add-on controllers to add more, usually only an extra 2 though.

So if you want 10+ drives, you're pretty much required to buy a PCIe SATA card.

Should I buy one chiller or a dual chiller setup for the future 10 core Intel CPU?

Attached: untitled-2.png (515x424, 105K)

Not sure where to ask this, but any recommendations for a new mouse?

I've been thinking of building an Unraid server, starting with a motherboard with 6 SATA ports, then if I need more drives, I'll just buy a 4-port controller card from AliExpress. Wouldn't that work just fine? With a lot of these server images I see, all the drives are connected to a controller card(s) and never the motherboard.

>Do server HDDs always need a PCIe controller card? Can't you just plug the HDDs into the motherboard SATA ports?
Sure can, but I'd run out of SATA ports then. With an SAS card, I can run 4 SATA off one SAS port, or up to 16 SATA with replicator cards. As it is now, my dedicated card is handling the 7 HDDs (SSD is plugged into motherboard for boot). If I want to, I could add something like pic related with 4x4TB of 2.5" mechanical drives and not have to change a thing.

Attached: Screenshot_20190513-112345_Newegg.jpg (1080x2220, 487K)

Because servers that run hardware RAID will use proper RAID controllers.

If you're not running a large RAID array, it generally wont matter.

That case is cheap garbage, and that monitor is cheap garbage, but otherwise, it is decent. Just pray your Vega 56 has Samsung VRAM modules. for close to Vega 64 performance.

Why does my Pentium II outperform the 2700x in Daggerfall?

lurk moar
also nice digits
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Mice

I did it just for extra SATA ports. Unless you're using some serious server grade RAID card, hardware RAID is cancer compared to even windows based RAID

?

Yes, but he's specifically talking about ONLY using a PCIe card instead of the on-board SATA ports.

The main reason you'd do that would be to take advantage of the PCIe cards hardware RAID functions, otherwise there would be no reason not to use up the motherboards SATA ports first.

lime-technology.com/wp/hardware-recommendations/

>Since peripheral bus speed quickly becomes a bottleneck for parity sync/check, if parity sync/check speed is important to you, try to use PCI-E disk controllers.

Which is a concern for almost no one AT HOME.

Hell, if you use RAID at home, I honestly think you're a fucking retard to begin with. There is simply no need for 24/7 up-time in a home server environment, you're not hosting mission critical data that needs 24/7 access or you'll lose thousands of dollars per minute.

Make regular backups with offline disks and save your money and effort for other things, RAID is a meme for the home user, only reason it still perpetuates is because people don't really understand that RAID is pretty much only useful for keeping data up and running continuously and RAID in itself is NOT a backup solution. And if you don't need the 24/7 up-time, you're far better off with JUST making regular backups.

Is the 2600x still worth it? I play mostly video games and emulators on this PC and been looking to retire my 6600k.

Attached: 1547218250907.jpg (300x294, 73K)

>emulators
>ryzen
lel

Not worth upgrading yet.

absolute state of pcbg, bunch of faggots

so, uh.....how would one, hypothetically, go about getting a windows 10 copy for a new pc. asking for a friend

Are wireless mice just as good as wired? Or is wired preferred?

buy one off reddit or ebay for cheap.

By pirating it

windows.com probably has a link to a retail store locator

Quick question:

Do you need to do anything special to activate the AMD game bundles so you can sell the codes? Do I have to like, verify I have the graphics card installed in my system in order to sell the codes?

Ever heard of striping?
Also it's convenient to combine your HDDs into one big partition.

My mobo has 10 SATA ports. Stop being poor, retard.

If you need more performance, might I recommend SSDs? They've been cheap for years now.

Also, you can combine HDDs into a single partition without RAID. Spanned volumes have been around for awhile.

The advantage of RAID is the up-time, if you're not using it for those reasons, there is probably a better option out there.

And it's probably a server or workstation motherboard with a non-consumer chipset, and non-consumer price.

how do you guys feel about buying used computers? i have a chance at an i9 9900k, rtx 2080 with 1.25 tb in m.2 storage. asus PG279Q, keyboard, mouse, and headset for $2500 cad. i'm currently rocking a 980ti and 6700k and two 1440p monitors. i imagine i could get ~$1000 for my current pc + a monitor. so is the upgrade from what i have worth $1500 for used parts?

This is offtopic but GOD I want to strangle retards that say
Nuh-vidia
Instead of the correct pronunciation N-vidia.
Just pisses me off so much.
Like a fucking nigger that has to go muh into everything.

with most good wireless mice the difference is so small that you won't feel it, but some peo le still prefer not having to charge it, faster reaction times and not having to fuck with wireless connectivity.
it comes down to preference, really

You sound like a faggot who is obsessed with niggers.

I'm going to buy a 500gb Crucial P1 to use as a boot + media drive, with a 100gb Windows Partition and a 370gb partition for games and stuff.
Will it perform adequately?
The 500gb P1 SSD only costs 65€ or so and is 5€ cheaper than an 500gb mx500.

Attached: crucial_p1.jpg (1280x853, 72K)

halp.

no one here actually buys AMD cards user

>And it's probably a server or workstation motherboard with a non-consumer chipset, and non-consumer price.
ASUS RAMPAGE V Edition 10
Again, stop being a poorfag

yes, you have to let your hardware be verified and then link your steam/uplay account so that the games can be linked to them.
You can't sell those codes unlesss you sell the accounts bound to them as well.

You have to make a fake amd account with fake phone numbers and addresses and somehow verify it then sell them.
The "just sell the games lol" is a meme

I fell for this meme
OK, and you have to actually have the hardware installed I see. I bought my CPU ahead of other parts because it was on sale unfortunately

Lmao, HEDT doesn't count, it's literally identical chipset to intel's Xeon server lineup, just given a different name for the consumer market

And yeah, it's got a pricetag to match, the CPUs are more expensive and the motherboards are more expensive.

So, sick, you've got a $500 motherboard and a $500+ CPU when you could've gotten a 9900k and a Z390 board with a PCIe SATA card and achieved the same thing.

Intel will likely kill off the HEDT space entirely in the next generation or two unless they actually come out with a reason to buy it. Currently about the only thing that would push you to HEDT is PCIe lanes, and quad channel memory.

Otherwise you'll get Z390 or go with AM4/TR4.

>poor people buy Intel, actually
Makes you think

Yes. Better to get an outdoor one, though, because they're loud.

Attached: the pajeet's choice.png (1024x619, 425K)

This is what I'm gunning for, anything I should modify? I'm planning on playing on a 1080p screen, I've already got the SSD, I'm kinda tight on budget and I'd really prefer an Nvidia card since I've got an nvidia shield who can gamestream if I ever want that.

it.pcpartpicker.com/list/L4hbbX

Attached: 5b1b0cae-d8a4-47be-af60-a1c3a42cbf03.jpg._CB277297843_.jpg (2400x3000, 283K)

You just sign up for the account and the games are on there.
Then you sell the account's username and password itself. Or what I did is changed the email to the other person's email address.

What emulators?
If it's PS3 you might want to wait and see if Zen2 has TSX support. But still better than a 9400 either way.

>it.pcpartpicker.com/list/L4hbbX
Largely okay
>240euro for 1660
Why is that so expensive? price:performance is pretty bad.
>I'm kinda tight on budget and I'd really prefer an Nvidia card since I've got an nvidia shield who can gamestream
Oh.

the Meshify C case apparently has good airflow because of the mesh front, so installing additional fans (aside from the 2x120mm that are already in) shouldn't be needed when I don't go for heavy overclocking, right?

>Always avoid AMD if gaming
Why?

looks good user, just make sure you have enough with the 2600, the 2600x isn't much more expensive and it comes with a way better stock cooler and better performance out of the box, but if you plan on overclocking and buying an aftermarket cooler just go with the 2600

In the case of GPUs: worse software, worse drivers, less power efficient, more of a pain to OC.
For CPUs, Intel just wins all the benchmarks. Most games still only really care about single-core performance.

It isn't that you can't get acceptable performance from AMD, it's just Intel and Nvidia generally do better, they just cost more.

Because OP is a faggot, obviously.

>more of a pain to OC
Sorry but what the fuck? You literally can't even OC Nvidia cards at all.

Always sad when fierce AMD loyalist fanboys like yourself need to spread misinformation in a desperate attempt to persuade people to purchase AMD.

OP is just trolling, clearly. He's false flagging because he wants you to buy AMD by seeing what colossal faggots intel/nvidia shills supposedly are.

AMD has better software, better drivers, is at worst about 15% less power efficient except for the 570/580 which are a lot cheaper, easier to OC and you get more out of OCing them.

Yeah sure "misinformation".
Literally all you can do is suggest the card boost higher, which it will gleefully ignore. Nvidia have disallowed actual overclocking since the 9xx series, this is a matter of fact.

shitflinging between intel shills and amd shills, there's another op with no intel products on it, both are retarded, choose whatever fits your use case
amd for price-performance
intel/nvidia for raw power when money isn't an issue

Attached: IMG_1148.jpg (1024x1008, 108K)

Is SSD external drive reliable storage? Size and costs aside, I wanted to get one, put it into enclosure and sync most important stuff once or twice a month.

Occasionally an AMD shill comes in and posts his OP which removes all Nvidia GPUs besides used ones (and occasionally even removes those ONLY having AMD GPUs), and only posts AMD CPUs.

So this OP is just counter-shilling with intel/Nvidia.

Sewing machine oil is good. If you can't find that, spray silicone oil is probably okay.

Try to find a video or forum post by someone who has the same model of fan you do, to figure out whether the impeller can be removed, and how to do so. If it can, clean the shaft and the bearing bore (q-tip with cotton removed to make it fit works) with isopropanol to remove debris and old degraded lubricant.

If the impeller can't be removed, you can try taking the sticker off and oiling from the back, and/or working the oiling snoot inside the hub and flooding the general area of the shaft. The foaming spray silicone oil works best for this.

Stop spreading cost disease. No reason to pay $25/fan instead of $8/fan when you can just add a couple drops of oil after 3 years.

>2060
>high refresh rate 1080p
>When it only gets around 100-110fps on high now
>In about 4 years that will be 60
The 2060 is only really the most efficient card for high refresh rate gaming if you're only going to swap to a new card once your average framerate hits 80 or so. If you want to keep it to 100+ then you need to go higher, and you're also going to have a very short amount of time between upgrades. However, I'm sure some people do that.

maybe if your time is worth literally nothing and you enjoy doing that, i'd rather be enjoying my time off not doing stupid shit like that.

>there's another op with no intel products on it
Haven't seen any such thing.
Sounds like another false flag to justify the trolling by the verified spammer who made this OP.
>OP which removes all Nvidia GPUs besides used ones
haven't seen that either.
More gaslighting, huh. Intel and Nvidia products are so shit that this is what people have to resort to, just blatant lies to try and trick people to justify OPs trolling again?

That's a downgrade.

>Haven't seen any such thing

8700k or 9700k

9700k unless the 8700k is a GOOD deal cheaper.

Real cores are always better, hyper threading threads CAN be useful in niche use cases but MOST things are not well optimized for hyper threading and instead run MUCH better with more real cores.

Is there an equivalent MoBo? I can't really find the one on pcpartpicker where i want to buy it and wanted to open up my options

Due to memory and CCX latency which results in input lag and lower framerate.

That's clearly retaliation for this OP, not the other way around. This guy has been spamming the all intel/nvidia OPs for weeks.

And at least that OP didn't fuck up missing the previous post.

Also motherfuckin italy is why, the 1660ti is like 300€ and the RX580 200€

>high refresh rate
It means all low settings, retard.

lol what?

Go point out ANY full intel thread besides this one.

How can a retaliation happen TWO days before this thread was even created?

What thermal paste brand do you use?

For me it's 5-10 year old OEM paste from when I worked as breakfix part time at uni.

AS5 or thermal grizzly conductonaut (liquid metal)

Because this same thread OP has been made lots of times in the past, retard.
They're old and 404 now. How convenient for your lies, huh.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

Does it makes sense upgrading from an i5 7500 to a 9600k? or will I just be burning money?

Attached: 1531226651443.png (481x481, 184K)

Fuck off, i'm in EVERY /pcbg/ thread for the past 3 or 4 months, you're so full of shit and your blatant gaslighting AMDshilling is just getting worse and worse.

Decent paste that comes with a cooler like NT-H1 or C7, or Kryonaut when I've baught my own.

Would make more sense to upgrade to a 2600X instead of "upgrading" to another threadlet CPU.