Discord

>delete account and uninstall Discord because I value my privacy and hate predatory data mining
>all my gaming/non-normalfag friends use Discord
>the few ones who contact me on something else are usually busy with other friends on Discord since we were all together in one place
>lonely as fuck

Is this the price to pay? Is it really worth it?

Attached: sadkeanu.jpg (800x450, 70K)

It is a bit like when someone stops drinking alcohol. They essentially lose all their friends. Just move onto another circle of friends who are more like you. You don't need to burn bridges though.

Attached: discord.png (721x719, 180K)

imagine being in a generation of zoomers that are WILLINGLY signing up to a shit-tier IRC rip-off with massive privacy violations, all due to mass advertising and shilling by streamers and youtubers? it's pretty glorious and never ceases to entertain me.

>Is this the price to pay? Is it really worth it?
your friends aren't very bright. and yes, it's worth it. try and get those faggots to use a more secure system that isn't cancer.

I'm glad I'm old as fuck, my friends are old as fuck, and continue living on IRC like we've done for the previous two decades. (some guys I know have used IRC since it was first released to the public). we've seen alternatives come and go, but discord is the most comical attempt out of all of them.

someone here the other day posted a bug with the discord app that allowed you to keep seeing another person's shared desktop after a user has clicked disconnect. that says a lot about the kind of operation they've got running there. they are the police, fbi and nsa's new best friend.

Use it through a broswer and have ad block etc. Its better than using the Botnet client

Unless you host your own server, they have everything you've ever sent over through their servers.

If you delete your account all your stuff is still on the server.

Holy shit, that's pretty fucking scary. Is that post about a Google hiring manager?
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I don't know how much it still records, though.
Seems like the best alternative. Unfortunately I don't see many people using IRC, Mumble or that new one Riot that looks fairly interesting. People are such sheep that it actually makes me angry I'm almost chained to Discord because of them. Lots of people are also aware and post about current conspiracy/schemes and still willingly give out their information like that, it boggles my mind the lengths people go for convenience.

Just use the discord web site.

>Unless you host your own server, they have everything you've ever sent over through their servers.
That's completely understandable. Expect the same with just about any service.
The bonus about the browser is that it's stuck in the browser and doesn't mine shit about your computer that YOU are not sending over their servers.

i found the bug video that user uploaded here the other day. just converted it to webm. might be wise to stay well clear of discord's cancerous software:

Attached: 1534514443771.webm (578x360, 701K)

You should try using a sandbox and/or VM. You can install anything you want, even actual viruses and it won't matter so long as full hardware virtualization is turned on.

>Unfortunately I don't see many people using IRC
depends where you go or what your interests are. some networks are incredibly busy, some are like ghost towns, but I notice the same thing on discord too.
>People are such sheep that it actually makes me angry I'm almost chained to Discord because of them. Lots of people are also aware and post about current conspiracy/schemes and still willingly give out their information like that, it boggles my mind the lengths people go for convenience.
yeah nothing surprises me any more. I believe humanity is getting dumber as the years roll by. people are more than willing to hand over personal information in exchange for free services but that's how it's forever been. people don't put any thought into it until something major happens (eg; system gets hacked, all personal info distributed online, etc.). and yes, it sucks when you need to get in touch with people and they're all stuck in this centralized hell hole.

Thanks for giving me strength, bros. FUCK the botnet and FUCK Google, Facebook, Discord, and everything else.

I'll look harder into IRC of my interests. Thanks for the tip.

>is it really worth it?
No.

What's more important, friends or freetards? You did it to yourself.

I just login on the website, a little less features but way less bloat and botnet.

>freetards
has nothing to do with anything, you computer illiterate spastic.

yes it is i deleted it too!

I was like you once. I gave up. Still run linux though. If you have a smart phone and want to participate in society you have to give up privacy. Discord pales in comparison to the GPS tracker in your pocket.

That's pretty weird, I don't know anyone who uses discord. My girlfriend and my best friend use Conversations (XMPP), and I get lesser known friends to use Signal. Maybe your friends are sweaty nerds/losers with no social life? Try getting friends that don't use discord, that way you won't be such a lonely faggot.

That's rather hard when you like games and weird people things.
Good job bro.
The problem is I only use my phone for calls and some minor social media because of work. My conversations there are nowhere near as personal as the ones in Discord used to be, even if I've never let out too much.

>Discord because I value my privacy and hate predatory data mining

Attached: 58374104_2319207318118437_3118563379824820224_n.jpg (599x599, 23K)

i use a minimal client (ripcord) written by someone who i trust more than discord, so any data beyond what i type/upload isn't being collected as far as i know

Is there anything else besides games? Do you play any instruments or have any hobbies that non-discord people would have? Playing guitar for example helps. If all else fails, convince your friends to leave the botnet with you.

hm, what is google metrics?

This is something I'm struggling with right now as well. The worst part is, my friends acknowledge that it is a privacy nightmare, yet refuse to do anything about it, due to how convenient it is to use.

I'm in the same boat. It's depressing.

>>delete account and uninstall Discord because I value my privacy and hate predatory data mining
reconsider your views and what sort of life they are going to result in you living

I have said it a lot of times over and over again, I sound like a broken record at this point. There is no such thing as internet PRIVACY, it is just a placebo effect. If you don't want to use a service then is up to you, but you're going to lose at the end. Also VPN's are bullshit money grabbers, they don't care about your privacy. They only care about your wallet and money. Enough said.

Yeah I agree it's like when people like 8 years back were wow'd that facebook sold your info. I remember some friend of mine literally going on and on about it but had 0 problems using google chrome, twitter, snapchat, or any of the shit his credit cards did with his data.

It sucks but you have bigger issues if you are just now realizing a company like discord could be mining your information

Do you happen to still have the link to the original thread?

This, a lot of people thing you're private and should be when you're online, but the truth is that is not true. There's always going to be a company snooping all the time or vigilant of what you do, no matter it can be your ISP, VPN company, and even TOR. If you konw you're doing something that doesn't seem right then don't do it.

That's a retardedly old bug from like a year back that was patched really quick when it came to light. It also only worked when you screenshared something to another person.

>You don't need to burn bridges though.
You don't need to but it's fun to do.

Did the bug involve adding this to the console?(async()=>{let r=await new Promise(r=>{let a=[[],{_:(a,b,c)=>r(c)},[["_"]]];typeof webpackJsonp==="object"?
webpackJsonp.push(a):webpackJsonp(...a)});delete r.m["_"];delete r.c["_"];for(let i in r.c)
{if(r.c.hasOwnProperty(i)){let m=r.c[i].exports;if(m&&r.c[i].exports.isDeveloper===false)
{Object.defineProperty(r.c[i].exports,"isDeveloper",{get:_=>true,set:_=>_,configurable:true})}}}})()

Can't recall but I remember the exploit only worked with a direct video call or a voice call where even though the session was ended you could still keep it open via some thing. It was patched haven't heard of any kind of new exploit since it was fixed reportedly

I know what you mean. I think we're forever destined to repeat this however, until the governments intervene properly, or something just as big happens. No sane man would create Discord, but the alternatives are lacking sanity and thus unattractive to most.
Privacy isn't an all or nothing type of deal. You should assume that the government is collecting and sorting the data, but that doesn't mean you should go full 'the botnet is comfy guys'. Minimizing leaks and avoiding businesses with no morals is what this is about. You shouldn't give up just because some of your data is theirs now.

>You shouldn't give up just because some of your data is theirs now.
Didn't say I gave up, but was more or less pointing out that if you want to use the popular services you need to understand the give/take that comes with it.

There is a complete difference from realizing what services do what to remain free vs what is just being obtuse to one specific application

I guess at the end of the day it's your choice, if you don't agree with a service then don''t use it. Simple as that, also companies need to have some kind of revenue going on like advertisment and such. Blocking trackers is ok but not ads.

Yes it does, using the discord website is the same as posting on Jow Forums. You're all doing that, everything else is ulterior motives to recruit. I'm the computer illiterate but you're the one who thinks they're not be tracked on Jow Forums, bravo genius.

If they rely on adverts or data mining, I'd rather they fail.
>Blocking trackers is ok but not ads.
What's the difference?

>Is this the price to pay?
Mostly, yeah. If you truly value your privacy, a lot of things become more complicated.
That being said, there ARE FOSS alternatives to a lot of services. For a FOSS alternative to Discord, look into Matrix. You might even be able to get some of your friends to switch over.

If you really value your privacy, you pay by increasing complexity.

>Is it really worth it?
That's up to you to decide.

Attached: 1543832959356.jpg (1024x1024, 110K)

>gayming/non-normalfag

yeah, ok.

You have no privacy either way, there's no point removing your fun because the battle for privacy on the internet has been lost for a long, long time already.

How would they have the info about me from Discord If I don't post on Discord anymore? Without Discord there's a bunch of shit about they won't know. I'm actually a concerfag and I minimize my data-online, the only missing-link being Discord.

We can't escape ALL trackings (as stated by any privacy site/guide) but we can do our part and limit what they know.

no
stop being autistic
you pay for quality and convenience with your data
pick one

If you want privacy you shouldn't be on Jow Forums or use the Internet at all.

Attached: 59022998_380642092663451_4578396735657074105_n.jpg (1080x1350, 104K)