Digital Multimeter to find out of there's a short in my motherboard?

Working on a new PC, putting together motherboard. Testing various parts, then out of nowhere, the main fain to keep the CPU cool begins going off after about 5-8 seconds.
Right now, working with the gigital multimeter to try to figure out of it's a short in the board (in which case, might blow my brains out) or if it's the cheap 600 battery I was trying to get away with using.
anyone have any extensive experience with a digital multimeter and can give advice as to just how to best use the fucker to find out of it's a short? I've watched a few YT tutorials but few really focus o motherboards. thanks.

Attached: digital-multi.jpg (231x218, 7K)

>the main fain
*main fan. pardon shit spelling, my hands are curled up like a merchant from working on this thing for past 3.5 hours, can barely type....

You need to get a professional to look at this problem.
Otherwise you will just make things worse

This. If you need someone to tell you how to use a multimeter you're incapable of fixing the problem should you even find one

Are you taking the piss or for real? Everything on the board works, as far as power, it's simply that that fan for the CPU dies off after 5-7 seconds. As far as a "professional," last time I tried that, a few years ago, Best Buy sent over a guy who couldn't have been a year off the boat from central africa, without exaggerating he screwed in a single screw on the motherboard, then said it was "too complicated for him" and printed out a bill for $115. I was too shocked at the entire situation and afraid to tell him what I actually thought for fear of "Racism" accusations, so I just paid and vowed never to use a "professional" again.
Since then, I've put together about 10 CPUs and this is first time I've ever had an issue like this...

Turn off fan control in the bios and have the fan run at full speed, see if it still stops.
It doesn't sound like a short because it takes time to occur.

>you're incapable of fixing the problem should you even find one
Well, I have my 700 page book "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" 22nd edition by Scott Mueller. i think I'd rather crash the entire thing with no survivors than give a guy from the Congo $120 to tell me it's
too complicated" for him. Just planning to get deep into the book and if I f--k it up in the s of learning something, better than wasting more money on a dude with not a clue what he's doing...

>Turn off fan control in the bios
Not even up to the Bios section yet, was still in early stages of putting it together...but I have about 3 different intel fans, and all are experiencing same issue. I didn't plan to use an intel fan anyway, have a Corsair H55 to cool the CPU but it's....ID, oher than geeting deeper into the Mueller Book and watching more Multimeter tutorials, anyone have any other ideas?
I do have extra wiring, a wire cutter, etc...should I need to really get that deep into the issue...

I'd still start with something much simpler. Maybe something that will teach you what a short is and how you can find one with a mm

Not a short. There would be smoke. Does the fan turn freely? power to the fan on even when it stops? If you think you can fault find a motherboard these days with a basic meter then google multi layer circutboards.

Spot on

Afaik my mobo did the same thing when I didn't push in a ram module all the way.
Spent some time wondering if I fucked the board until I saw one of the clips was still kinda unlatched.

Anyway, the fan cut out after 3-8s in the same way you describe.
Realistically the only thing you can check on a mobo with a multimeter is if the correct voltage is reaching the right pins. They're too complicated.

Thanks lads, now the damn thing is working again. I tried to switch batteries, no joy there, then I plugged in the "old" one 9it's new but only goes up to 7000 and only put in the one set of power inputs rather than the two they advise (the big one, then 8) and now the fan and everything else is running like nothnig ever happened. Strange.
Still going to dig deeply into the Mueller book to make sure I know (to the best extent possible) what I'm doing technically.

I found the weirdest shit in the bottom of my drawer when getting ready to set this up-- an intel Optane 64 GB, a crucial 1000 GB m.2, and a panasonic 500mb m.2. If it all works out will be fascinating just to see how well it all works together, plus the seagate 10 GB "normal" drive I have.... gonna go slow and really try to take in the mueller book so, unlike past ones I set up, I actually understand the mechanics behind what I'm doing this time. I'll post results as it goes in case anyone is interested...(I know most won't be, but might be a few newfags).

>They're too complicated.
Desu only reason I even have one is because my ex-GF got my one in a kit off Amazon they were selling for like $30 for my birthday last year. 90% of the shit in there, I haven't a fucking clue how to use. Does anyone else know the kits I mean? They came in green and organe I think? Even came with a Soldering iron, which I can't see myself using anytime soon unless I am...recruit by a cartel and need to scorch someone's balls to find out where drug money is hidden.

>Not even up to the Bios section yet
Do you have a monitor? Can you get output?
If the answer is no then just fucking stop. You can't even do basic troubleshooting yet.

How put together is your board?

Is it running on a temperature probe where it is shutting off due to temp?

The black wire goes to Negative and the Red goes to Positive.
Multimeters are stupid easy, I don't know if you mean "How do you work a multimeter" or "How do you find the right connections to probe on the motherboard"
These are 2 very different questions. It sounds like you're asking the latter.
There are no YouTube videos because there are so many configurations and places you could look, you'd go bananas.

have them, have one, haven't gotten that far yet, taking my time and doing everything very carefully.
>If the answer is no then just fucking stop
Sure mate. I'll "stop" and use the fucking board as target practice with my new rifle? Or maybe I'll just smashed the fucker over my head again and again and see how much damage I can do to my skull so I can do an investigation into how many people still speak English at the local ER?
I'm going very slowly, not going to fuck anything up, ran into a brieg problem, got over it, so back to working. What would you have me do exactly? Call the wonderful gentleman from "the congo" who work at "geek squad?" Or just pick a random "Patel" from craig's list?

yeah, figured this out on m yown I think. more than anything, seem like a stupid gimmick they advertise inside "gift packages" around Christmas so that unwitting family members buy them for you as gifts...

>I'll "stop" and use the fucking board as target practice with my new rifle?
Yes.

Hey-- gor those who aren't total assholes-- should I "test" the new board by putting in the GPU first or try to run a "c" cable direct from the board into a monitor with a "c" input?
Board is a WS x299 Pro/SE. I'm doubting it matters that the board is a "work station" rather than a pure gaming board, but may as well ask ans worst I can get are a few smartarse answers from people too full of their own shit. Better than taking a risk with the actual board...

Is it true on ebay some of the different ASUS SLI attachments sell for $20-$30? I have at least 12 of them from putting together computers for different people, if this is the case could easily make about $300-$350, have to check this out...