/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires BIOS chip de-soldering), T400(s), T500, W500 (works with igpu, no DP).

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
>[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkwaffle.jpg (800x800, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

embeddedcomputers.net/products/FlashcatUSB/
aliexpress.com/item/HD-1600X900-laptop-14-0-matrix-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T430-40-Pins-FRU-04W6867-04W6868-LCD/32907626844.html
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-is-about-to-get-even-more-extreme-with-the-2019-Gen-2-refresh.420457.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When I was 17 years old I bought a thinkpad after watching a Snowden documentary so I wanted to become a leet hacker but then I read ted Kaczynskis agreed against technology and in a fit of autistic rage I threw my thinkpad down the basement staircase. I had been trying to install arch Linux on it for about a week and I succeeded except the WiFi card wasn’t working and I was too dumb to persevere.

So did you change your mind about tech being bad?

>I had been trying to install arch Linux on it for about a week
Is this some kind of meme or pasta? Please tell me it is.

Bootloaders are hard

I recently fell for the x220 meme and I really love this laptop. Can i flash coreboot with an RPi zero w, or do i need a better pi? I would imagine the i/o pins are the same

Attached: old-laptop.png (1200x1200, 1.26M)

I fell for Jow Forums memes and I couldn't be any happier.

Attached: IMG_20190513_182127.png (1487x1080, 2.17M)

yes you can but you need to solder headers on as there are none

How are those headphones? Koss right?

Koss esp-950s. They are pretty great, I'm listening to my toho eurobeat in flac and they make a pretty good difference over my older monoprice dj headphones.

>tfw bricked my x200T upgrading bios

Attached: 1555690037322_0.jpg (380x380, 50K)

Currently using an X220 with an i5. Flirting with the idea of buying a 2nd computer.

Should I buy a (leafbucks with tax)...
- X220T, used, i7, $250
- X1C 3rd gen, used, i7, $850
- X390 (i7, 16GB, IPS, fingerprint reader, ethernet, 1yr ext. warranty), $1550

- I hate 1366x768
- i5 2520 is starting to feel sluggish
- But I also don't want to carry around a laptop that costs >$500 because I'm a whole foods wagie. wwyd?

Attached: Debian girl.jpg (1024x768, 260K)

Oh no, you lost a $200 computer. Whatever will you do?

At least you didn't fuck up a 1920x1200 lcd because it had extra prongs on it that you had to remove because you couldn't install it with that shit blocking the way. Fuck.

Attached: IMG_20190513_201350_HDR.png (1920x1080, 2.93M)

My t420 so far:
>gentoo-testing
>lvm+luks
>dm-crypt
>header + dm-crypt shit on microub
What I have planned in the future
>coreboot
I ended up grabbing the black ch341a instead of the green or blue one. So, it's been on hold for a bit.
>upgrade to i7-2640M
>replace bezel
>replace CD drive with hdd/sdd caddy
>upgrade to HD+ display
>upgrade battery
I have the 55++, does anyone know which one is the "best" (as in will hold the longest charge.) I have heard it's the 70++, but I've also heard that it doesn't really matter. Anyone know?
Also, one thing I'm not sure about:
Would I be able to use a m.2 slot while still maintaing portability?

Forgot to mention the X1C is Lenovo refurb, I don't mind paying a premium for peace of mind. The X390 is with all the customizations I want.

How'd that happen? Did you try to flash a custom boot img or something?

What's that program in the top term?

ncmpcpp+mpd

So my old x220 recently died on me and I have a new x220 coming in the mail tomorrow
Will I have to reinstall Windows or can I just switch the hard drive?

Re-install. I've tried switching hard drives, it simply never works the same. You might even have a different CPU model or wifi card or something that makes it fugg up.

I just installed win 7 and ran the updater from lenovo
I'd rather not lose my ThinkPad if possible tbqh

replace the mobo, dork

It costs more than the ThinkPad itself

Thanks user

then buy a new thinkpad. I'm not your father, make your own decisions.

Where's a good place to buy a thinkpad from?

Try switching the hard drives just in case it works. It doesn't take long.

are there any thinkpads with a 960m for cheap? i'm poor and want something that can play all my favorite emulators. (yeah im a winfag) upgradable ram is plus too.

I don't recall ever asking you to make any decisions but thanks anyways

Ok, I'm falling for the meme.
Can anyone tell me which thinkpad model this is

Attached: Screenshot_20190513-225732.png (1080x2280, 997K)

Attached: Screenshot_20190513-225752.png (1080x2280, 799K)

Looks like a T410 to me. Better off asking the seller though, the model is on the screen bezel.

Not sure if this is a good place to ask, but the Solus forums are dead as shit.
I’m trying to install Solus on my Thinkpad x200T with the live iso via USB. I made the boot media with dd. When I try to boot from this usb on my thinkpad, nothing but a white cursor appears on screen and the light on the usb flashes steadily. The same installation media will boot just fine on my other laptop, an a1278 MacBook Pro
Any idea what to do?

Attached: 5E94DF05-463E-46C8-8276-59D55BECB9FB.png (310x257, 55K)

Enable legacy boot in BIOS, make sure you didn't plug your usb drive into the 3.0 port.

It is now

I corebooted the one I got off of craigslist just recently with a full pi. I would just save yourself the hassle and use a full sized pi. FYI, if you do it, you can't compile coreboot on the pi and don't use the RAM fuse option. There, saved you 8 hours.

Attached: 2019-04-30.jpg (512x384, 52K)

Are thinkpads actually good or r they a meme?

Is that a T520?

They're good, darkie. But probably not for you.

we're a bunch of tech luddites that make the obvious point that modern laptops are very samey and trying to be like cell phones

W530, my T530 is next to my bed

Does the T530 have a good screen? Thinking of upgrading from my T510 but I can't stand the screen of the T430.

Is this fixable? How much should I offer?

Attached: 1.png (758x114, 14K)

Both

I got a flashcat usb, you think that will work, I have used it to recover bad bios flash and install bios mods but the chip was always socket-ed.
embeddedcomputers.net/products/FlashcatUSB/

Since a few days I have a nice T430 i5 3320M with 16GB ram and 960gb SSD but with a horribly scratched 768P panel. Can I replace it with this 900P panel?

aliexpress.com/item/HD-1600X900-laptop-14-0-matrix-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T430-40-Pins-FRU-04W6867-04W6868-LCD/32907626844.html

I have a €20 coupon code so it would be pretty cheap to get.

Do I need some other stuff to replace my 768P panel with this 900P one? Also, I have never done such a thing or even never opened a laptop or monitor. Is it do-able for someone that is not too clumsy?

And are there any other things that I should replace in advance that are known to break or something. I mean, if I'm already opening the thing..

1 more thing; My friend had his laptop broken and gave me the CPU (i7 3632QM). Can I use that in my T430?

Attached: 1_snTXFElFuQLSFDnvZKJ6IA[1].png (455x290, 212K)

After reading your reply I asked her, and yes it is a T410. Thank you!

I want a newish thinkpad are they worth it? Money isn't an issue, I was looking at the thinkpad x1 carbon

just get a recycled one that works, jesus.

Yeah but who can pass up a T60p for like $30.

anyone using the SD slot for expanded storage? whats the most cost effective way to explore this

its fine, you even have the option of upgrading to 1080 if you want. From my experience with my T530, you can have up to
i7-3840QM (i7-3940XM if you modify a 170W ac adaptor)
1080p lcd
16gb ram
2 hdds/ssds
1 (or 2?) msata ssds
You could also get one with a Nvidia chip, but don't expect to play too much with it.

thinkpads are inferior to macbook

And other jokes you can tell yourself
Volume 3

I'm more thinking of contrast, viewing angles, brightness.

sit in front of your thinkpad user. bam, the ideal viewing angle.

Where to buy replacement chassis screws? Mine keep getting loose and being lost.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-14 05:19:26.png (1254x662, 681K)

>i7-3840QM
sure if you want house fire 88c at idle

T530 cooling system is ass.

Used to own one, would not put a quad core part in it.

if I want to do the classic keyboard mod on my W530, can I still remap the correct keys with an EC flash if I have coreboot?

Attached: thinkpad.png (960x794, 836K)

Ebay

I have a i7-3720QM in mine. It's a little hot, but manageable, especially without a dgpu to cook in there.

I have that exact CPU in a W350, the fans don't even come on when web browsing except for YouTube videos. While I've set it to the application's curve, it idles for ages and ages at 46-49 with no fans. With BIOS controller on, the fans are at a frequent very faint whisper. This better SKU heatsink is amazing.

Attached: TPFC.jpg (1055x607, 166K)

I had the dGPU model, ended up just disabling it.

Cooling still sucked though.

what the heck were you running? also did you change the thermal paste? I put arctic crap in mine and it significantly cools all of my thinkpads.

>trackpad
PUKE

>did you change the thermal paste
No I'm too lazy I just bought a new laptop.

>愛してるさわこ !BE/4wes0mE
oh right, I forgot that you're the local retard.

you'll need either a clamp or solder to do the SPI chip flash, but it's got 3.3v output so you're good there.

I installed Linux Mint onto my desktop the other day, and starting yesterday there's a bug where uploading files from the desktop directory doesn't work (Telegram, Firefox etc) as it says the file is blank. Moving the file into another directory allows the upload. What could be causing this bug and how do I repair it? System updates are up to date.

Attached: 1557137497769.png (501x891, 347K)

What other directories did you test it? Have you tried a different browser?

It's the same with every piece of software. Doesn't matter what browser. It appears every other directory works.

Check permissions.

What's a thicc refurbed Thinkpad between $200-250? Currently on T430. Previously had a T410. Too small. I want something bigger, thiccer, and meaner.

T440p

Hi /tpg/. My T42 arrived today, I first tossed Mint on but eventually settled on Lubuntu for speed, and then added an XP theme to keep with the aesthetic of the PC. When it came here, the battery couldn't hold a charge and the back panel is all scratched. Amazingly, the keyboard is in perfect condition, no signs of use at all. Did I do good?

Attached: Selection_002.png (1023x767, 542K)

digging the theme, hope that laptop serves you well

Thanks, I went with a comfy early/mid 2000's nostalgia theme, as I try to relive the days that have gone. Hopefully I do get some genuine use out of it, rather than as just a conversation piece.

Some sort of dark theme with red highlights would be much more suited to the aesthetic of the Thinkpad.

Should have clarified I meant more in terms of the era from which it hails not the PC itself.

It should be fine for shitposting on Jow Forums and some basic programming

Externally reflash the bios dipshit, god the state of Jow Forums...

What's a good ThinkPad for under £200? I want to fall for the meme but don't know where to start

T530 can be had for that

Attached: chadpad2.png (723x666, 163K)

Sounds like it will be very useful for me then

Is a t440p with a 4700mq, 1600*900 display at $275 decent in burgerland?

Can anyone advice, pretty please?

just flash bios manually

>I have that exact CPU with a better cooling system
dont know what you're trying to say here, ofcourse it's a decent cpu when cooled properly. we were talking about T530

>tfw can't even upgrade the bios on my x200t because the bios password locks on boot up

no

t480s 2k display vs t490s hd vs wait for t490s 2k

Serious question as a person who has almost every single version of thinkpads (x/t/w etc.) do people really enjoy the x220 ?
I had it for school back in 2012 and it was the most flimsiest piece of shit ever, shit buildquality and almost nothing good to speak of (especially how shit that keyboard felt on such a small laptop)

The screen is absolutely garbage otherwise it's pretty comfy

Screen was one of the worst part about it i agree, but the case felt very plasticy and the side hdd cover would always go loose.
The laptop is also a bit too thick for what it tries to be and was one of the worst thinkpad interms of strength - dropped it once at school and it was in million pieces - the keys and the whole keyboard dislodged from the case, the hdd flew out and the screen was totaled.
My t440p which i dropped from about 1.5m or my t420 which i dropped from almost 2m where barely scratched.

Own a dGPU T530 with a 3630QM, never had thermal issues and it's only slightly lower with boost clocks

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-is-about-to-get-even-more-extreme-with-the-2019-Gen-2-refresh.420457.0.html

so how much of space heater will this be?

wait for t4000

Which Thinkpad model has the nicest keyboard? Any model past or present, as long as I can get my hands on just the keyboard. I'm working on converting to USB and getting them working with QMK.

Just came here to say I'm frustrated, that there is no perfect thinkpad

The T430S is nearly that though.

wasnt the X220 the one which has so shit plastic, it warped under sunshine ?