Why do normies fail to see the superiority of package managers over exes?

Why do normies fail to see the superiority of package managers over exes?

Attached: image.png (720x345, 11K)

I would say they're use to it, but honestly with repositories like android and ios i really dont understand it either.

Literal botnets.

funny, I was installing audacity on my computer at school today and some kid was giving me shit for "hacking". I explained to him I was actually just installing some shit and it's a completely automated process and he replied "why does it look like that". Didn't really have an answer so I just said "I don't like GUI's". This experience leads me to believe it's just a matter of normies thinking terminals are overwhelming or something.

They don't at all user, tell them that package managers are like app stores, without shiny icons, and they lap it up.

did everybody clap too?

yes, and linus torvolds was there

they don't, normies love apps and app stores. the same shit, different angle

For most, it's all just a means to the same end.

cmon man, let me have my gay superiority complex in peace.

did richard stallmanu there????

Really like others have said normies would be perfectly ok with the concept of a package manger and the repositories that go along with it as they use them all the time just in the from of an app store
Really the only difference is with a "real" package manager is the lack of GUI and the fact package managers are more complex as unix philosophy dictates everything must take a billion packages to install

Yeah. That's why Ubuntu is probably the best distro for normies.

Attached: serveimage.png (1366x768, 259K)

> apt the best

Because it doesn't exist. Package managers are a fundamentally wrong way to distribute applications.

>This experience leads me to believe it's just a matter of normies thinking terminals are overwhelming or something.
it is. i've had these same conversations before with people. they see a terminal full of text and they have no idea what's going on until i explain everything. even when im on IRC, i get the same puzzled looks. quite a lot of people today are only familiar with clicking on icons and buttons.

> ubuntu
yeah, usually normie's first distro.

and usually your last distro

>I am so 1337 I can read on-screen instructions and type one-line commands

>he doesnt know how to use the word "literal" correctly

Attached: kdc.jpg (950x534, 92K)

>why do normies fail to see managers over binaries
What do you even mean?

Package managers are shit. You can't even choose which version of the software you want to install in most of them. And you rely on your distro maintainers to provide you with new packages, instead of just downloading it from the dev's website.

>download exe from website
>run
vs
>install package manager
>update package manager
>update repositories
>google the exact string identifier for the version of software I want
>run the install command
>google the inevitable errors due to something in my setup being nonstandard
>repeat for each update
>repeat for each software
hmmmmmmmm

> i cannot understand the complexities of using linux
> i am this incompetent i have to google things
> i repeat this same process because i have no fucking idea what i am doing. even using windows is far too complex. this is why i click on big shiny buttons on my iTODDLER device instead
you're a prime example of why fucking morons such as yourself shouldn't be anywhere near computers.

Linux logic

>*pushes up glasses, unrolls fat, brushes Doritos crumbs out of neck beard*
>I only run an OS on my machine that lets me run the programs that I want!

oh that's cool, so how you are you going to do that?
>I will just have some unknown person(s) maintain a software list which dictates which programs I ran on my machine which I download from over the network.
>But its ok because these binaries are built from open source code which I will never read

There is literally no standard when it comes to software identifiers and especially versioning. If I tell you to download the pre-release of ShitSoft, unless you already know how your package manager/repositort identifies this particular package you're just going to google it. Repositories also almost always lag behind actual releases. There's an argument to be made for package managers in automated/remote enviroments but they have no benefit for typical consumers

Oh god user it’s like we’re talking to the same people

Attached: 7C0F4FDD-C084-4635-B9C3-9C7BFBFA1AB6.png (576x450, 233K)

Amen. Gentoo for life.

is this that "bait" that you Jow Forums fellers talk about all the time?

Yes, he was fellating the class bird.

why fix something that is not broken ? Downloading software from the vendor from an HTML 1.0 website is the solved solution to distributing software. If you want to feel so special in your console use lynx or curl.

I honestly feel bad bleeding the bandwidth of my providers repos all the time.

I wrote a little cron script that downloads Libreoffice from official repository via apt and then removes it. This process is repeated every 30 minutes. I've been running this 24/7 for past three years or so.

Wtf why?

You know there's a good reason for that. Look through program files on any windows install. Literally every app has 50mb+ of .dlls (QT, Python etc...) and your pretty much at the mercy of the developer providing updates to both their own program and their dependencies. With package managers you essentially force developers to keep their programs somewhat update and therefore secure (in a relative sense) and it saves both memory (not having to load multiple versions of a library) and disk space.

Now I get that for larger proprietary applications this may not be an option except maybe on very slow moving distros (eg Debian, RHEL) but that's where flatpak is a better system. You still save on bloat (less than a traditional package though) as packages depend on a common set of libraries (platforms) like the gnome-platform or qt-platform but these are less of a moving target for developers and hence preferable. You also get the benefit of sand-boxing untrustworthy proprietary applications whilst still having centralized control over updates. Furthermore flatpak is distro agnostic so generally you can get newer versions of application than on most non-rolling release distros.

>install package manager
What are you doing, running LFS? All distros come with a package manager pre-installed and pre-configured.

>update package manager
>update repositories
Single command (apt has 2) versus opening each app individually to update or getting nagware (java, apple app store)

>google the exact string identifier for the version of software I want
>run the install command
this is why package managers have a search function and support tab completion, or just use a GUI(gnome-software, synaptic etc..)

>google the inevitable errors due to something in my setup being nonstandard
I don't get how this is any different from windows. Usually packages are configurable by having multiple components. I don't see how windows differs here. In either case, if your talking about compile time options its much easier to compile and install something on Linux than on windows. Have fun with visual studio and managing dependencies. I'm curious what you actually mean by non-standard?

>repeat for each update
>repeat for each software
Not really though, this is actually what package managers solve explicitly. Batch updates and batch installations.

I really don't read the code but it makes me feel a lot safer when a piece of software is confident enough to make itself open for scrutiny.
Though I enjoy package managers more than exe setups because it's a very elegant solution and makes it a lot easier to update everything and handle all the dependencies without redundancy. In fact, I like using choco on my windows installations as well.

Attached: ConEmu64_8vEkwigrA6.png (728x348, 33K)

Python programs being distributed that way has nothing to do with package management. Serious application software written in python is frozen, all the run-time components for Python are shipped as a standalone with the application.

Maybe python was a bad example then, but GUI tool-kits and basic libraries like libpng/libjpeg/ffmpeg should realistically be shared. Security fixes are rarely back-ported to older API/ABI compatible versions and once again it leaves users completely at the behest of developers. That being said I do understand the bundling of C & C++ redistributables (MSVCRT etc...) but those are designed for that purpose (since Microsoft doesn't promise ABI stability) as Microsoft releases updates for older versions of libraries, but for other common libraries that isn't always the case.

At least I clapped my dick

you must be retarded

>Why do normies fail to see the superiority of package managers over exes?
Because they are in no way superior, just a different methodology with a different set of issues and weaknesses. There app stores which are similar but better. That answers your intent now to answer what you wrote
>package managers over exes
A package manager is a executable, people like more than one type of software. Having multiple package managers and no other software is not what people want.
No executables aren't installers but some installers are executable.

>normies are incapable of simple shit like that

Normalfags are terrified of text. That's why eveything is going for the oopsie woopsie we did a fucky wucky.

>he doesn't understand what package managers do
oof
either the dumbest retard ever or an obvious bait

Any distro has a package manager GUI nowadays.

because they dont understand how either works. how do YOU fail to understand such a simple fact while at the same time pretend to be oh so smart?

Attached: apuhammer.gif (487x560, 898K)