Learning Java

I'm learning Java after using C for about 15 years. Should I use an IDE or build system or just makefiles/shell scripts? What are some good books for learning Java quickly? I really don't need yet another intro to programming that seems to be the first five chapters of every book. is Emacs a good Java editor?

Attached: logo_java.png (200x349, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
github.com/emacs-tw/awesome-emacs/blob/master/README.org#java
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>15 years of c experience
>asking this
i figured out my workflow for all of the prospective languages in the first month of programming

>after using C for about 15 years
no you haven't been

nigga, go back to C and try to recreate the same projects using Java. You'll learn in like 1 month. Syntax isn't as bad as people say, especially if you're coming from C.

Java is practically impossible to write without an IDE. You need it to auto-generate all the boilerplate.

I started when I was 16 and now I'm 31. Go ahead and count it, that's 15 years.

That was the plan to start out but I want to get a grasp on class hierarchy first. I've heard you can really shoot yourself in the foot if you structure your classes poorly.

Thanks for the actual response. I got the feeling it was pretty much a hard requirement. I know a lot of people use Emacs, do you know if it stacks up against the Java IDEs or is it just used out of stubbornness?

There is NOTHING that java IDEs do that Emacs can't but of course that means configuring Emacs and some people prefer something that works OoB

I myself use Emacs for java because I like the syntax highlighting

Use Netbeans to start with, and after you learn Java, switch to the same text editor you use for C.
docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

Java the Complete Edition by Schildt is a great reference material, not exactly a babies first programming, has a lot of references and java features

This is from someone who generally avoids Java unless necessary, and who generally uses Emacs, so YMMV.

Java is an enterprise language, so you'll need to use an enterprise tool for it.

I've found IntelliJ IDEA's IDE to be very well put together. Specifically, I've never had a complaint with their debugger, their tests system with Maven, and its IntelliSense works well.

Eclipse is great

Writing hello world every 6 months doesnt mean youve been using it 15 years.
The fact you have to ask such a basic, fundamental question means you're about to take CS121 and want a good IDE to get an edge up and don't wanna bother learning

Check out github.com/emacs-tw/awesome-emacs/blob/master/README.org#java

Eclipse is garbage. It's the worst Java IDE out there. At least recommend IntelliJ or Netbeans.
Of course, OP would likely need to learn a little bit of Eclipse anyway since enterprise quality(tm)

>if you don't know the pajeet gospel you don't know programming
Listen, Rajesh, not everyone has the time to know the ins and outs of your shitty language or it's development model. So don't get flustered when someone asks for help to understand your Indian culture.

OOP is a ridiculous old concept and any moderately sized C codebase is already employing similar enterprise design with function pointer wrapped structs.
"I've been programming in C for 15 years, how do I java lol" is the shittiest lie you could possibly come up with.

>31 year old man incapable of using a search engine
>"I don't understand OOP, a revolutionary concept from the 70's" - Programmer with 15 years experience
Jow Forums

he's just asking whether he should use an IDE. Sounds like a reasonable question coming from a c-nile.

Just get intellij and learn how to use maven for building and dependency management.

> You need it to auto-generate all the boilerplate

lmao I bet you click ok every time your shitty bloated ide asks you if you want to make a getter/setter for all of your class variables

Thanks to everyone who gave actual responses. I'll stick with the IDE for now and see how it goes. I've been trying out Netbeans and it seems far less intrusive than I expected. The project setup is definitely more straight forward than autotools and the dependency handling seems really mature. Thanks again, Jow Forums.

>I don't understand OOP, a revolutionary concept from the 70's
I never said anything close to this you goofball. And OOP is so broad is scope the fact I have experience with CLOS likely means nothing when learning a new OOP language like Java, which is why I asked specifically about Java and not OOP in general.

Wrapping function pointers in structs is generally frowned upon. Unless you're writing device drivers or something where you would be loading functions according to hardware (OpenGL extensions since version 3.something) then it does little but create a mess. Enterprise anything probably isn't the best standard to hold code to in any case. The enterprise space is often filled with quick hacks to make customers happy and push half finished products out the door to meet deadlines.

haha, no

GNU autoshit sucks, it's not hard to be better than it.
Fortunately ISO C and POSIX make GNU autotools a piece of the past, no longer relevant or needed.

>emacs
Jezus.
intellij idea. Use that. Forget all else because every company which pays salary uses that.
If you are neet hobyst - use whatewer you like.
As for books - take any OCPJ8 book and go through it.

>nothing
... To have emacs to help with auto completion... you need to have eclipse process runing in background.