Space suits

Redpill me on the latest development of space suits. I think pic related is hot af, but from what I understand it's not a real space suit and only intended for use inside the spaceship. Please tell me we won't go to mars in the same clunky suits they used on the moon

Attached: space.jpg (768x768, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_counterpressure_suit
youtube.com/watch?v=Lb76B0XQpZc
nasa.gov/feature/the-next-generation-of-suit-technologies/
tested.com/science/space/530828-spacesuit-fire-nasa-refuses-forget/
youtube.com/watch?v=GQ98hGUe6FM
quora.com/Can-we-create-structures-for-providing-artificial-gravity-on-Mars
mpora.com/cosmos/dainese-space-suits-nasa-2030-esa-biosuit-skinsuit
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_counterpressure_suit
In particular, the MIT Bio-Suit.

>The Tesla suit
>the same company whose launch capsule exploded catastrophically weeks ago
sure, I'd definitely wear their bomb vest

Look at this video from the 60s produced by MIT to understand why a space suit cant look like that.
youtube.com/watch?v=Lb76B0XQpZc

star trek horseshit. I would not go for a spacewalk in that. knowing Tesla it would probably spontaneously combust, too.
Space suits are hermetically sealed and pressurized, think of them like old-timey scuba gear.

Attached: main-qimg-b00df32d512bcfcbf231cea91f84e68b.jpg (602x593, 165K)

You mean you want to know about space suits that are intended for space walks and planetary exploration? Yeah, those are completely different tools from the suits worn inside a pressurized space vehicle.

nasa.gov/feature/the-next-generation-of-suit-technologies/

Attached: emu-pxs-z2_0.jpg (7274x4448, 3.7M)

Is he kill?

Looks like form over function horseshit designed to woo the press. Why is the visor tinted if it's for use inside the ship?

Attached: Sokol_KV2.jpg (768x1024, 177K)

because its designed to woo the press

mars isnt exactly vacuum

yes. that's what happens when an oxygen pressurized suit ruptures.

what's that pic?

Luckily there was nobody in the suit when it lit up.
Pure oxygen at above atmospheric pressure is crazy dangerous.

a suit which ignited during testing due to a glitch.

How about MIT Biosuit? Pic. related.

Attached: Newman_biosuit.jpg (452x680, 47K)

I wouldn't feel safe riding a bike in that let alone go to a different planet.

Might as well be, it's less than 5% of what we have.

>and then MIT proved themselves wrong with a space activity suit
pottery

>t. can't read the first post
>t. nobody in this thread can read the first post

it looks scary as fuck, like that Chernobyl elephant foot picture.

Need pressure suit on mars.

the first post just mentioned space suits in general

Advances in material science have allowed for stronger and more flexible materials. This has been pursue what 's example. The pressure can be provided by mechanical sources instead of environmental ones. The video you have provided is still valid, but out of date for the modern astronaut.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_counterpressure_suit
>In particular, the MIT Bio-Suit.

This is what peak performance looks like

Attached: C19E9D22-EAD3-47D9-9FD5-3D26B86E8B0F.jpg (736x985, 111K)

I would also like to add to address some of the other people on this thread that space suits extraterrestrial suits me built with very different goals in mind.

Also on mars it's -60 Celsius in the daytime... You are gonna need a thick suit.

tested.com/science/space/530828-spacesuit-fire-nasa-refuses-forget/

For sure, I wouldn't want a space activity suit to bear the brunt of solar radiation for too long, but for a quick spacewalk or a short match of moon tennis they'd probably be fine, provided they have some level of shielding.

You say that like the atmosphere is thermally conductive enough for that to mean anything. Like saying "space is cold". While it's technically correct, the implications of something being cold aren't the same with an atmosphere far thinner to what we're used to. Titan on the other hand...

You'd have no business being outside without a suit anyway. Living on the surface of mars would serve no purpose either, since dust storms can last for months and routinely block out all the sunlight.

If people do live on mars, it'd have to be deep underground, where it'd be naturally warmer.

>thick suit
Its not like there's much there to sap that energy from you. It's basically a vacuum

>tfw you realize we're like 300 years from landing in Mars

Yeah, I forgot, there is like 0,01% the humidity and air pressure of earth, so I guess it will not conduct heat very well.

But then, how will they harvest oxygen and water from the atmosphere?

Exactly :^)

Honestly I don't think we will set up civilization on Mars unless we find a large supply of water and a way to create a magnetic field on a planitaty scale.

I think the bigger problem will be building a wall when the spanish start colonizing mars...
Fortunately we dont need to build a wall on the russian side because theyll do it on their own

I've been thinking, even if we found an ocean of frozen water, 1) how would we melt it in a sane amount of time 2) what's the point of finding water if it can't be replenished via rain fall? whatever water is taken would be gone permanently.

We have already found plentiful amounts of water on the polar regions.

We can't really live on earth's polar regions. Now imagine Mars

It's gonna be the 1800 I trade all over again... But on Mars!

youtube.com/watch?v=GQ98hGUe6FM

Bezos on Blue Origins immediate plans, and what he predicts will be occurring in the next few generation regarding space travel. Interesting concepts, but how practical building space monoliths in orbit will be is hard to say. Personally I'm partial to the rationing and stasis proposal but everyone is retarded and always outgrows their limits so I suppose this shit is necessary without a doubt.

Attached: 1552879149780.gif (200x153, 2.48M)

>planitaty

Attached: 1391749593334.jpg (406x537, 80K)

i'd play that video game.

Thanks for all the great replies. It's interesting to see the development and all the different prototypes, but aslo a bit sad to see how short we have come. I'm primarely interested in space suits for planetary exploration. It seems to me the MIT Biosuit is the best way to go. It will allow for much better mobility and it's not clunky like the pressurized suites. It's also not critical if you get a small tear in it. One thing I find a bit strange is how everyone use the fish bulb helmet. Why not just have glass around the eyes like ski goggles? The rest of the face coud be covered in the same biosuit material, or just hard plastic. The big fish bulb thing just looks so fragile and exposed

Attached: biosuit.jpg (485x656, 80K)

space exploration is a meme. That shit will be done by robots.

no you are meme

I'm serious. Star Trek is hard sci-fi. Setting up a Mars colony would be less like the federation and more like space Africa.

The meek shall inherit the earth.
The rest of us shall go to the stars.

Attached: BioSuit.jpg (850x567, 103K)

How do I become a robot.

>going to space in Asics running shoes

fucking retards

>the virgin spacesuit

kek

Mechanical counterpressure is for women. Men have some external hardware that makes mechanical counterpressure uncomfortable.

the stars will give you cancer in months

Well, I use a vacuum pump 4 times a week so I would not need to add pressure on that specific area as it is already conditioned to vacuum

>power rangers shit

You could just make a small pressurised room for that part

You'd need a large pressurized room for me if you know what I mean!

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 16K)

Please expand

BLOAT
L
O
A
T

No, but it has to be treated as one.

>Also on mars it's -60 Celsius in the daytime
No, that's the average temperature. The recorded high on Mars is 20C, and the average high is -5.7C for the entire year.

It depends.™ It depends on how advanced AI and robotics get before we become serious about colonizing space. Bezos is right in that the real future of space colonization is generally space habitats, but in order to get there we'd need massive industry on the Moon and Mars, and depending on how soon we go it might be easier to establish a small colony than to develop and deploy all the AI and robotics needed to replace highly skilled humans.

My Johnson. It's enormous! That's what I'm talking about, yeah ha ha

Attached: hqdefault(2).jpg (480x360, 18K)

this is /mooncore/ from

>uncomfortable
The understatement of today. And this is probably why science fiction has hot babes in tight space suits.

If you can do what sumo wrestlers do to protect themselves, you might be able to use this suit.

Attached: Biosuit_DSCN1862.jpg (1944x2592, 894K)

Funny all you retards are talking about making the thinnest most flexible suit when all astronauts are asking right now is an advancement in shitting and pissing in one right now. Cause they're still wearing a diaper for hours in any suit no matter how advanced

Attached: duneshai3-300x205.jpg (300x205, 18K)

Harvest it from ice and dry ice instead?

outerplaces com/science/item/12091-spacex-hired-a-sci-fi-costume-designer-to-make-a-new-spacesuit

Someone on Jow Forums wanted to make a banesuit... Not heard from him since.

Attached: 1534326485469.jpg (2000x1417, 1023K)

So space suit with dildo up the ass that sucks shit and onahole that relieves pee/semen? Have a battery operated backpack that catches these piss/shit/semen and you're good to go.

You absolute tool. We can NEVER set up civilization there, no mather how much resources you pour in it, simply because no one is gonna want to live their lives (and have babies) in a planet with 1/3 the gravity of the Earth, you literal foot

How many people have ejaculated in microgravity?

Probably few hundreds given they spend months/years up there.

>not making partially-sloped centrifugal cylinders
quora.com/Can-we-create-structures-for-providing-artificial-gravity-on-Mars

Quora is unironically a stupider group than Yahoo!Answers was

That doesn't exactly invalidate the answer. Though I wouldn't seal the whole rotating structure separately from the elevator, I'd have the whole thing rotating within a sealed dome, with lower gravity work being done in the non-rotating centre.

Sure they would, just as we did hundreds of years ago settling the new world. As conditions get shittier, plenty of people would probably be okay with purchasing a one-way ticket to a new land for a chance at something better.

>redpill me

you need to fuck off back

pusy hatch

It's me or the BioSuit looks like that undersuits that you wear when you're using an leather suit for sportbikers?.

Even has the Dainese logo.

Seems tghere are contradictory stories out there and Eikipedia has problems with sources. Anyways:
mpora.com/cosmos/dainese-space-suits-nasa-2030-esa-biosuit-skinsuit

I would.

Shut up you nerd
If mars is even half as comfy as in total recall, I'd go in a heartbeat

You're a fucking retard. Stop posting.

gotta stay lit senpai

Logical answer would be if there's a port window, sunlight can enter and obstruct vision also applies to the brightness of the reentry burn.
I agree with the statment that slim suites are horse shit for planetary and/or EV exploration. They need to fit a AC, waste management system and protection in those so no way in hell they're going to get much slimmer.

>low pressure atmosphere
water would melt pretty easily, the problem is really breathing atmosphere, electrolysis isn't very cost effective for oxygen supply, carbon dioxide is less of a problem but we still need like 70% of atmosphere be some inert gas like nitrogen or argon

Based and SunVulcanpilled

bump

student researcher here

In all current models of spacesuits, telemetry & mission status is transmitted via voice. NASA is looking into implementing AR technology into spacesuits to fix this and since they don't have any funding they're getting ideas on how to implement software via contest and design challenged from students. The software is simulated via hololens or any other AR HMD that people can get their hands on, and students design a HUD & other quirks that would attempt to help with EVA telemetry, mission QA, etc. The idea that NASA finds the software concepts interesting and would figure out the hardware stuff when building for suits.

In any case, the idea of introducing AR & VR into the space mission was an inevitability and if anyone was going to champion industry-grade HUD it'd be NASA. The problem now is just getting a design that fits the needs of every mission.

With AR, won't spacesuits become unnecessary? With AR the operator could sit inside and use AR to remotely operate a robot.