Give me the pros/cons of using Linux please. So far i don't see why i should stop using Windows 10. But then again...

Give me the pros/cons of using Linux please. So far i don't see why i should stop using Windows 10. But then again, i'm pretty dumb.

Attached: r5tf78nw13y21.jpg (640x853, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

protondb.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you're just playing games and surfing the internet, stick with Windows.

But if you develop software, Windows tends to bite you in the ass every inch of the way. Linux on the other hand gets stuff done and all the software's free.

What about the security aspect? I've heard it's pretty hard for someone to track your shit or plant malware if you use Linux.

dang, that's a good dog

Attached: 1242636964416.jpg (249x242, 12K)

pros : linux will do anything you tell it to do

cons : linux will do anything you tell it to do

Pros
- more customization
- due to the reason above, it can look way better than Windows
- you can do almost everything using only the terminal
- more secure
- isn't a bloated clusterfuck

Cons
- no games
- no Adobe
- no "that one program you use that doesn't have a Linux version"

Pros exclusive to Windows 10 in specific
- no telemetry
- no advertisements in your start menu by default
- UI will never be as inconsistent no matter how hard you try

Attached: 1524203533501.png (376x367, 48K)

>no games
Steam is offering Steam Play as beta for a few months now, theoretically you can play everything with it. Everything i tried so far runs perfectly with it.

Depends on your exposure. I've never had a virus or worm working under Linux in all my life.

We've had a Linux server at the university however that was reachable from the outside and that would report about 200 hack attempts every day. It only ever got hacked once, though, as we constantly kept the software up to date.

So, the rule is, since most servers run Linux, there's plenty of hackers out there that know how to hack them. But for that you need services to run, and I don't think Linux desktop users do that much.

no, a malicious actor already targeting you will not be stymied by your ganoo linux
however a slav writing viruses for windows XP because 30% or whatever of the world still uses it won't spend any time trying to mass-infect your machine to add it to his botnet so he can sell it for 5$ worth of cigarettes and bread

Oh good, that means I can play... Sonic 3D Blast.

Attached: steamplay.png (403x629, 190K)

I can hear the music to sonic spinball, why isn't it on that list?

Inherently more secure in many ways. For example, software comes from secure repositories instead of random websites, software is run by default with limited permissions, etc

Yeah you can play that on Linux too.

Attached: steamplay.png (227x53, 17K)

no, that's the stuff that's officially available. you can force steam to let you play literally everything with it. just google it. i did it two days ago, and like i said, i can play everything now. so far i tried different elder scrolls and total war titles, they all run perfectly.

No pros for an average user, only headaches and wasted time

protondb.com

Attached: steamplay.png (917x158, 116K)

>I've heard it's pretty hard for someone to track your shit or plant malware if you use Linux.
Only in special cases where you sacrifice A LOT to avoid tracking. You need an OS distribution specifically designed for the task, and you're gonna have to give up a lot of services you're probably used to.

why are you posting that? do you want me to report what runs and what doesn't?

Clearly many things don't run. It does not "let you play literally everything".

None of the games I had on steam ran when I tried them out under Linux. Not a single one.

well theoretically literally everything. practically, i haven't found anything so far that i could not play. and looking at that list, most of the people on here wouldn't play the shit that's not working anyways.

also, give it some time. at least it's now not correct to say you can't play any games on linux.

How did you try?
All the games I have tested in the past 7 years just worked.

With the latest Ubuntu release and the package from Valve/Steam. The games downloaded for quite some time and then wouldn't run.
Mind you they were all 3D, no simple stuff like Mahjongg or anything. But still, it was the same hardware as my Windows system, just another partition, and it wouldn't run under Ubuntu.

I've had problems with my nvidia driver and couldn't run anything, too. Had to reinstall it like five times and switch between GPUs a few times. And then, suddenly everything i tried just worked. Elder Scrolls Online even runs more smooth than on Win10

Hm, interesting. I will try again with new Nvidia drivers.