Linux font rendering

So, let's talk about font rendering on Linux.
What do you do to have a better font rendering?
>Debian Buster is comfy but my eyes were crying when I started to read stuff
>Fedora's also sucks dick
The best font rendering out-of-the-box is Ubuntu for me, I don't know what Canonical does, but it's pretty fucking good. How do can you achieve the same font rendering on other distros? Is it possible?
I remember reading something that Canonical was using something patented to have better font rendering, but I'm not sure about it.
So, post some tips, let's discuss this topic because it's important for the Linux world.

Attached: some image I got from Jewgle.png (637x218, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/comp.os.minix/wlhw16QWltI/PsAJDusEG6wJ
pandasauce.org/post/linux-fonts/
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-eselect/eselect-infinality
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Font rendering will be a thing of the past in a decade because 4K displays will abolish the need for anti-aliasing.

fuck this mentality, this is why we cant have nice things

>The best font rendering out-of-the-box is Ubuntu for me, I don't know what Canonical does, but it's pretty fucking good. How do can you achieve the same font rendering on other distros? Is it possible?
the archfags will say it's possible, but I gave up after one afternoon fucking around (using manjaro). Fucking lying autists.

solus font rendering is not bad, though

Linux is a kernel. It does not render fonts.

4k fonts on wayland are beautiful.

Agreed.
The font rendering of most distros are pretty shit OOTB, and it's a pretty fucking important part of the OS.
And the spergs on Jow Forums say that "Ubangoo is only popular because of marketing". No, the think is that Canonical is not overlooking this stuff that is pretty important for the end user.
I wish it was easy to just mimic it on other distros.
Yeah, I remember trying some of the solutions on the Arch Wiki, but it never got on par.
Fuck off.
"Linux is an OS" -- Linus Torvalds

Attached: file.png (806x938, 1.08M)

>TFW I'm still stuck in 768p
fuck you and your future tech I need antialiasing
I really like the Ubuntu font family, maybe they designed it in a way it would play nice with their own defaults
>I remember reading something that Canonical was using something patented to have better font rendering, but I'm not sure about it.
maybe it's subpixel rendering?

Even with very high PPI screens Android still does grayscale AA.
So maybe we won't need rgb AA anymore but AA will still be used.

This is on manjaro, with rgb subpixel rendering and hintfull.

Attached: f.png (1726x910, 401K)

>What do you do to have a better font rendering?
Use bitmap fonts, properly hinted fonts (with hinting enabled) or use vector fonts with strikes (built-in bitmaps at certain sizes).

this is ubuntu, you can compare them yourself.

Attached: tokyo.png (1600x900, 618K)

Both looks fine I guess, I use different fonts though

Attached: f2.png (1907x990, 690K)

I don't know user I just use terminus

yeah dejavu font looks like shit, changed it to roboto now

Attached: ubuntu2.png (1600x900, 610K)

Here's wang for reference

Attached: w.png (1899x957, 380K)

might be it's just me, but seems like on ubuntu the font look slightly darker. might be it's just due to different fontface though.

Font rendering will be a thing of the past in a decade because the only thing people use computers from is Instagram, and it's not like you really need to display text for that.

this looks fucking awful

copy /usr/share/fontconfig aliasing and slight/auto hinting to /etc/fonts/conf.d/ and I call it a day

kanjis look better on the ubuntu, is probably font selection and slight hint, full hint is shit

windows it not that bad if you use mactype.

Attached: firefox_W6ewgnDf1K.png (1581x1050, 696K)

>As has been noted (not only by me), the linux kernel is a miniscule part of a complete system.
>Linus, groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/comp.os.minix/wlhw16QWltI/PsAJDusEG6wJ

hey op are you a time traveler?

T H E Y ' R E A L L T H E S A M E

>this thread
jfc these brainlets

oh i see

it's a coononicool marketing thread

Android has pretty good font rendering. Is it possible to port to gnu?

It's just freetype and roboto fonts

You must be blind.
Are you retarded? I'm not telling anyone to use Ubuntu.
I literally asked how to mimic their font rendering configurations on other distros, specially because I don't want to be tied to Ubuntu.
Fuck off.

Freetype is ok, but it has to much of rainbow

4k 24" hidpi display passing by

you guys just cannot compete

Attached: 2019-05-14-155638_3840x2160_scrot.png (3840x2160, 1.73M)

>Font rendering will be a thing of the past in a decade because 4K displays will abolish the need for anti-aliasing.
No it's not going to remove the need for anti-aliasing, it will take much higher resolution than that.

That said, a lot of people today have high enough resolutions for hinting to be pointless, meaning you get fonts looking like they were supposed to, same goes for LCD filtering, in fact it isn't used in mobile devices (phones, pads) at all.

Chromium on Debian master race

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-14_10-05-40.png (1063x395, 85K)

sorry but that looks like shit

no my friend
you're the retarded one

Ubuntu

That's fucking awful.
Pic related is Chromium on Ubuntu.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-14 12-21-25.png (1280x800, 513K)

Fuck off and kill yourself redditnigger.

Unironically one of the main reason I use ubuntu systemd to be quite honest with you famalam

Static size font rendering is fucking cancer.

IIRC font hinting in truetype fonts was subject to a patent, and therefore disabled by default in the freetype library. You can manually re-enable it, though - I think it's just a configure switch. That way legal liability for the patent is on you, not the distributor.

And here's how a document on LBO, with Times New Roman 12 looks like on Ubuntu.
And inb4 "use an open font". Times New Roman is the norm for a lot of stuff.
Can you post how this looks on Debian?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-14 12-34-08.png (1280x800, 174K)

get high quality fonts
get high dpi displays
don't use hinting higher than "slight"
enable the appropriate lcdfilter and rgba order for your monitors

is that awesome wm?

>is that awesome wm?
that's dwm

>using anything but firefox on ubuntu

My libreoffice writer does not come with times new roman, but it had Nimbus Roman, which I think this pic is (it kept switching back to some Liberation crap).

This looks pretty good to me.

Another peeve is that the last time I got the latest distro, all my vim files that used to fit on the screen were wrapping, and I never could get the font to act like it did before. Who the fuck changes the default font? It was xfce4 before and after.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-14_12-10-07.png (617x96, 17K)

GTFO 4kfaggot

I like my 720p DISPLAY... I dont need 4k faggotry because I dont watch shota and hentai and dont play vidya. I dont need to use a GPU to render pixels I dont care about.

I dont care for your Cutting edge faggotry

I gave up on Firefox. Chromium is simply better now, and Mozilla doesn't help themselves with the extensions fiasco.
sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

wew

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-14 10-19-57.png (1600x900, 618K)

Attached: 94f.png (800x585, 123K)

why can't other linux distros into this kind of font rendering?

You can make Debian's font rendering look as good as Ubuntu(not only debian most if not all distros), it's just it will take some customization and time spent on font config files. If you don't have time to mess around then yeah just pick Ubuntu.

why?
why won't distros just ship with this preconfigured?

Attached: 2019-05-14_18-32-11.png (769x750, 267K)

In debian's case I'm not sure but could be some freetard reason not including a certain library or package. The other distros are memes, so who knows.

install gentoo unironically

Attached: image0(1).jpg (588x632, 69K)

>You can make Debian's font rendering look as good as Ubuntu(not only debian most if not all distros), it's just it will take some customization and time spent on font config files.
I don't doubt that, but, well, teach me then!
And I'm not being ironical or anything, I really want to learn how to, I wanna understand wtf Canonical does on Ubuntu to make it good.
Do you know how to config everything or have the config files pre-made?

arch linux

Attached: tokyo.png (1689x909, 668K)

honestly this all sounds retarded, ditros aren't that different so if he was right you could just c/c config files from a ubutun install.

can you share the fontconfig? Are you using patched freetype?

It's a big ass font or a high resolution monitor, that's about it.

Font rendering is happening no matter what resolution.
The higher resolution the better though.

Attached: Tokyo.png (7581x3783, 3.93M)

meaningless to compare "rendering" unless all using the same scaling, ppi, typeface, and size.
fwiw i use terminus everywhere.

>fwiw i use terminus everywhere
Can you please show how that looks on websites? I've been thinking about switching to bitmap fonts only.

>1689x909
doesn't look like a high resolution

This is a comparison with a 1080p monitor. It's either a huge font or an high resolution.

Attached: 2019-05-14_21-34-46.png (1348x72, 25K)

Currently using Slackware, I like the font rendering but I basically know nothing about it other than its easier for me to read compared to win7-

Attached: muhfonts.png (1058x798, 355K)

Those are some garbage kanji, holy shit.

I'd recommend the PT Fonts which aren't strictly bitmap but have good strikes and proper hinting. The character set isn't massive but it should cover the vast majority of use cases and you'll fall back to other fonts for everything else anyway.

Linux kernel does not handle font rendering

Full hinting is best for low res screens.

Install LTSC.

> can you share the fontconfig?

don't anything, just modified the config with gnome tweaks

>Are you using patched freetype?

no

my monitor resolution is 1920x1080

Attached: ddd.png (858x610, 53K)

>Personalizzazioni
never seen more Spanish looking word

Its not like you can read them anyways nigga.

Linux has font rendering ha issues that can't be fixed because it's a problem with how freetype does subpixel rendering.
So I just don't fuck with it.

Attached: 1522730411160.jpg (400x400, 43K)

How is the scaling on that?

>24"
kek

eh...

Attached: 1547833525154.png (1366x768, 617K)

it's good. The only thing I needed to do was set the Xft.dpi to a correct value inside the Xresources file.

Browsers work ootb, same goes for most Qt applications. However gtk3 apps require setting environment variable to do integer UI scaling.

>t. DPI-let

kek, it's italian

pandasauce.org/post/linux-fonts/

This is the best write-up on the sad state of font rendering on Linux. If I could have Windows-style font rendering on Linux I could switch to it full-time. Fuck Linux's shitty font rendering, it's the one thing holding back mass Linux adoption on the desktop.

Attached: 1537719035869.jpg (879x1099, 173K)

Are you fucking retarded? Font rendering on Linux is far better than windows.

Compile freetype with the Infinality or infinality-ultimate patches on gentoo.

packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-eselect/eselect-infinality

Read the article. Also, hang yourself.

Attached: 9e0423b2933b38af58eabfcd45dae719dbfd775e50532e231354c7401a06af54.png (1000x1000, 212K)

Infinality has been merged into fontconfig
I have no idea why OP is still fucking shit up, maybe garbage distros dont enable it because "muh patents"

These patents have already expired, he just uses shit distros (debian)

It is possible to compile freetype with window's cleartype, obviously they can't have it in the official build because of patents. The AUR has it.

Attached: 2019-05-15_02:33:48.png (414x52, 9K)

>it's the one thing holding back mass Linux adoption on the desktop.
It's definitely something important, but I would say that if there's anything holding back Linux adoption on the desktop is the lack of a GOOD office suite.
Unfortunately, LBO doesn't compete.

Interesting, I might just have to switch to Arch then, thanks user.

Attached: 1535825256177.jpg (620x620, 96K)

Was about to post this. Unlike what autists here proclaim day in and out, Windows actually has the best font rendering. macOS is worst, but they cover it up with High-DPI screens (where rendering techniques become moot).

No it fucking doesn't.
Just use Windows fonts on Linux and it will be just as good if not better than Windows.

Attached: wew.png (1280x710, 326K)

Also side-note, infinality is and always has been fucking garbage for idiots that don't know how to font. Its hacky autistic "fixes" for fonts you shouldn't be fucking using in the first place.

Clearly, you didn't read the article.
I can't fault you for it though. With Linux' shitty font rendering, reading such a long article must be straining for the eyes.

Of course I didn't. I fucking literally use Windows fonts and cleartype on Linux.

The fucking dipshit posting the link was like oh no I wish I could get Windows style font rendering on Linux.

Right there is a dead giveaway that neither you nor he know what the fuck you are doing.

So you're conceding that Windows actually got it right?
Also, your reading comprehension is below 8th grade level. No wonder you shy away from longer texts - but don't worry, I'll keep this post brief to not exhaust your faculties :^)

The entire premise of the article is built upon fase assumptions and you are flaunting it for reasons I can literally only guess at to try and prove what I understand as anti-linux points that literally have no basis in reality.