Is this the one true holy grail of every programmer ever?

Attached: x4thEnglish.JPG.pagespeed.ic._g_1CosMR8.jpg (591x722, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

visualstudio.microsoft.com/it/vs/features/cplusplus/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/program_structure/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Started reading but stopped cause I don't need C++ for web development.

This is one of the worst programming books I have ever read. There's literally a section in the book that depends on Windows DLLs. The writing is as dry as they come for technical literature. If Stroustrup would stop wanking himself off for two seconds, he would realize that micro-optimizing isn't the solution for every problem in existence.

It's a terrible book and I'd never recommend it for beginners. Stroustrop can't write.

Get C++ Primer Plus. Way better and written in the same style as K&R "The C Programming Language", which is actually an admirable book.

>t. C++ dev

Thanks for the suggestion, user!

IMHO I liked the book a lot but it definitely made my learning hard. You should learn with other resources like for example what the user above recommended and use this as a reference book/argument winner.

C++ and its committees deserve all the hatred they get

What books would you guys recommend a total beginner who hasn't even written a hello world yet?

Jumping into C++

>Stroustrop can't write.
The bald headed looney tune can't develop a language either.

>alright, so this book is for beginners, get ready to learn C++
>you're familiar with java, right?
>you're familiar with C, right?
>now, assuming you have an intermediate knowledge of calculus, here's how to do advanced math operations using only pointers!
someone else should've written it, but have bjarne tell the writer what to write about.

This one.

Attached: SICP_cover.jpg (400x579, 50K)

Learn assembler first, no really I mean it.

>do advanced math operations using only pointers
Sounds like a wet dream.

none, learning programming is impossible every person who knows how always did

K&R C

some book on OS concepts

I'm a complete beginner
I'll go check them out thanks

>
>I'm a complete beginner
I got that. I still claim it's the most important knowledge you can get. You should know about what OS does, what memory is, what program is, how they interact with each other. You would be introduced to this in some intro uni course. It's more important then trying to learn some specific programming language, especially since that would make more sense with this knowledge.

Operating System Concepts (dinosaur book)
Think OS if you want something really short
OS: Three Easy Pieces is probably too much about internals
Computer Systems: A Programmer’s Perspective get slightly convoluted and has tons of unnecessary topics in it, but might not be bad

user, he just wants to start with hello world like any other fucking human being that's new to programming, fucking kill yourself faggot.

Start with an online tutorial, not from a book. Most books expect you to know at least the very basics.
Install this: visualstudio.microsoft.com/it/vs/features/cplusplus/
and start from here: cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/program_structure/
Then you can pick a book and go wild.

Its not a book for beginners, every programmer who has a good use for C++ should know those things.

If you want C++ read pic related instead. Bjarne is a bit autistic but has good practical ideas.

Attached: 012D377F-3223-4FC7-B764-C8E52314F5BC.jpg (288x360, 18K)

>obtaining widely useful elementary knowledge base is bad
>shilling C++ is good

>I still claim it's the most important knowledge you can get. You should know about what OS does, what memory is, what program is, how they interact with each other. You would be introduced to this in some intro uni course.
Not an argument for _starting_ with OS concepts instead of programming.

>It's more important then trying to learn some specific programming language, especially since that would make more sense with this knowledge.
Yeah, and learning OS concepts would make more sense for someone who has written more than zero lines of code in their life.

Little Schemer! You don't even need a computer for this short book.

The Practice of Programming

who are you quoting?

Hey guys, I heard this is the best book to learn C, can you confirm or deny that?

Attached: 518yVM9PmGL.jpg (384x500, 35K)

kn king c programming principles and practice

Early Objects with C++

I'm a total noob. Most I've programed was some small shit in visual basic 6 when I was in high school, over a decade ago.my ultimate goal is to write my own 3D game engine and then write games on it. Where should I start?
Every line of code I eventually write will be GPL'd btw.

You should start with a text-based game.
No, really.
Nothing good will come if you jump straight into 3d programming without knowing a thing about programming.
Learn a good language (C++), focus on the language's semantics first so you know your way around it, then start with a game loop.
Then learn OpenGL and encapsulate it into classes so you can forget about its shit syntax (which is still better than directx though), basically making your own graphical API.
Once you get your first triangle to show up it starts going uphill, because 3d is hard, but still doable.

You can do webdev work with it. I mean backend.

Attached: 1556355820768.png (506x662, 205K)