3 new critical Intel CPU bugs

Central website: cpu.fail

Three new critical security design flaws have been discovered in all Intel CPUs since 2011. Newer processors are even more vulnerable than older ones. AMD and ARM processors are not affected, according to the researchers.

1. ZombieLoad allows to leak information from other applications, the operating system, virtual machines in the cloud and trusted execution environments.
2. RIDL allows unprivileged code (such as in a shared cloud environment or JavaScript on a browser) to steal data from other programs across any security boundary: other applications, the kernel, other VMs (e.g. in the cloud), or even secure (SGX) enclaves.
3. Fallout demonstrates that attackers can leak data from Store Buffers, which are used every time a CPU pipeline needs to store any data. Making things worse, an unprivileged attacker can then later pick which data they leak from the CPU's Store Buffer. Ironically, the recent hardware countermeasures introduced by Intel in recent Coffee Lake Refresh i9 CPUs to prevent Meltdown make them more vulnerable to Fallout, compared to older generation hardware.

They all were simultaneously discovered by many independent researchers and teams all over the globe, so it's likely bad actors have known about them for some time too.

Attached: intel look inside (literally).jpg (2200x1237, 268K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/mds-on-chromeos
techcrunch.com/2019/05/14/intel-chip-flaws-patches-released/
intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00233.html
intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/corporate-information/SA00233-microcode-update-guidance_05132019.pdf
mdsattacks.com/
cpu.fail/store_to_leak_forwarding.pdf
nos.nl/artikel/2284630-nederlanders-vinden-beveiligingslekken-in-intel-chips.html),
blog.ubuntu.com/2019/05/14/ubuntu-updates-to-mitigate-new-microarchitectural-data-sampling-mds-vulnerabilities
tomshardware.com/news/intel-disable-hyper-threading-spectre-attack,39333.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Google has disabled Intel hyperthreading on ChromeOS: sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/mds-on-chromeos

OS vendors have released patches for Zombieland: techcrunch.com/2019/05/14/intel-chip-flaws-patches-released/

Intel says the mitigations would decrease performance by 3-9%.

1. They are not bugs. They are 'features' to allow security agencies unrestricted access.

2. None of these exploits are in the wild. Chances of anyone being affected is 0.1%

3. It is perfect strategy to release this sort of information because it drives revenue - so all the fat /g incel slobs upgrade their 3k super gaymig rigs cause 'muh security'.

4. /thread

I don't think this is a good strategy for Intel since Zen 2 is being released soon, and these news just show that Intel CPUs have terrible security. I mean, even their recent hardware mitigations against Meltdown were actually counterproductive. Who could trust Intel at this point?

>Security flaws draws revenue
Are you fucking retarded? Don't you think people will just switch out of intel because of their nth security flaw?

enterprise customers already are
>None of these exploits are in the wild. Chances of anyone being affected is 0.1%
Yet, if you think malware ransomware and actual hackers are not looking to exploit a flaw found on 90% hardware you must be more retarded than intel

The sort of retarded post you'd expect from a retarded faggot who /thread's their own post. Kill yourself.

OH NONONONONO NOT AGAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

Attached: 1544667387109.png (813x1402, 324K)

someone post the more flaws is better graph

Intel has released (performance-degrading) microcode updates but, as always, motherboard vendors are required to ship them. Since every chipset since 2011 is affected, it's unlikely most of them will receive patches.

intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/corporate-information/SA00233-microcode-update-guidance_05132019.pdf

>Google has disabled Intel hyperthreading on ChromeOS
THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

>Microarchitectural Data Sampling (MDS) is already addressed at the hardware level in many of our recent 8th and 9th Generation Intel Core processors, as well as the 2nd Generation Intel Xeon Scalable Processor Family.

Not an issue at all with modern Intel CPUs, but if you use Sandy Cuck you get what you deserve

My chip is Coffee Lake, will I be fine?

How is it addressed at hardware level if the researchers say that 9th generation processors are more vulnerable?

Researchers are retarded, it's already fixed since Coffee Lake

Lol, of course not

>Not an issue at all with modern Intel CPUs
>anything more than 1 year old is not modern

You literally have no concept of reality if you think corporations business or consumers run out and buy a new PC every two years

mdsattacks.com/
Our attacks affect all modern Intel CPUs in servers, desktops and laptops. This includes the latest 9th-generation processors, despite their in-silicon mitigations for Meltdown. Ironically, 9th-generation CPUs are more vulnerable to some of our attacks compared to older generation hardware.

There is also a fourth vulnerability: Store-To-Leak Forwarding, which leaks data and breaks ASLR: cpu.fail/store_to_leak_forwarding.pdf

Based

Fake and gay

All the papers say otherwise, in fact STLF says it allows Meltdown attacks on recent CPUs which contain hardware Meltdown mitigations.

Attached: 1304903054160.jpg (877x1240, 152K)

According to Intel, 8th and 9th generation CPUs are indeed affected: intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/corporate-information/SA00233-microcode-update-guidance_05132019.pdf

They are looking for exploits but spectre and similar are not the ones they are looking for or would find useful
The vast majority of these exploits are very hard to leverage outside of pre-planned demos or labs

intoddlers

BTFO
T
F
O

>tfw CPU from 2010

TFW your exploits are higher than your framerates

My only defense is that I'm irrelevant.

kek

Fake news. That's not the Intel site.

>Intel says the mitigations would decrease performance by 3-9%.
oof

In a Dutch article (nos.nl/artikel/2284630-nederlanders-vinden-beveiligingslekken-in-intel-chips.html), one of the researchers says "het aantal mensen bij bedrijven als Intel die zich op dit niveau met beveiliging bezighoudt, is echt op de vingers van twee handen te tellen." = "There are fewer than 10 people working on security at this level at Intel."

>so all the fat /g incel slobs upgrade their 3k super gaymig rigs cause 'muh security'.
or just buy a 1k ryzen rig like an enlightened individual

Ubuntu recommends disabling Hyperthreading if untrusted code is being executed (such as JavaScript): blog.ubuntu.com/2019/05/14/ubuntu-updates-to-mitigate-new-microarchitectural-data-sampling-mds-vulnerabilities

if only the industry could actually admit that javascript is a mistake and move on

HAHAHAHAHA

Attached: LMAO.png (1343x755, 87K)

>Intel has released (performance-degrading) microcode updates but, as always, motherboard vendors are required to ship them. Since every chipset since 2011 is affected, it's unlikely most of them will receive patches.
I've been using updated microcode for a week or so, but haven't noticed any performance regression. But I've only tested it with Cinebench after update (got the same 2.1k points on Broadwell). Maybe it's affecting something more specific tho.

Any other normal company would've crashed and burned by now.
How they manage to keep going.

How have you been using it for a week if Intel released it today?

>1. They are not bugs. They are 'features'
this is true but to allow better yields

Excellent another 20% performance drop incoming.

top kek
>The use of Symmetric Multi-Threading (SMT) – also known as Hyper-Threading – further complicates these issues since these buffers are shared between sibling Hyper-Threads.

Even disabling HT is not enough

Attached: 1439095961708.jpg (727x639, 115K)

this?

Attached: higherisbetter.png (1900x900, 19K)

That part has an integrated atom x3 in it

So can we safely say
Intel
>Best day-one performance
AMD
>Best long-term performance

I'm disheartened by the number of comments here who are taking the stance that Intel has idiot designers or that management doesn't care about security. These attacks are very clever and unexpected, nobody could have predicted this. Intel still the dominant and most trusted industry player and will remain so in the future.

>all the denial itt by the intcels
kys yourselves
cringe and buyer's remorse

Some were released 10 days ago (according to PDF they are the ones that fix the bugs). I was modding bios back then, so I've included updated MC as well.

>Google has disabled Intel hyperthreading on ChromeOS:
Oh shit I love google now

>(More is better)

I haven’t heard about AMD having this many problems with their CPUs. Fucking Kek

To all i9-9900K users: Hahahahaha yeah, fuck you baby!

You're still poor.

they cant hear you over the chiller anyway

Says the neet faggot jacking off into a sock.

Attached: kek.gif (220x205, 80K)

Are you fucking retarded? I'm seriously wondering right now.

Destroyed

he's defending intel you have your answer right there

jewish tricks

>These attacks are very clever and unexpected, nobody could have predicted this.
>plz stop bulli intel
>they good boiz , they did nuffin wong

I bought a 9700K because I believe hyperthreading is a meme, and now I feel vindicated.

This but unironically

i for one welcome the return of pentium 3 -- now web pages may be forced to rewrite themselves better

everyone except Jow Forums, laptops are still sold with predominantly incel and normies don't care and will not care if you try to tell them

>nobody could have predicted this.

nobody who works for intel could've, that's for sure

ok

/Thread

not the obligatory:
>more is better

Shamefull

>Severity: MEDIUM
You fucking wish, Intel.

Intel itself recommends disabling Hyperthreading: tomshardware.com/news/intel-disable-hyper-threading-spectre-attack,39333.html

maybe this is why intel hasn't released their new 10nm chips. they had to go back to the drawing board?

Intel will prevail in the end just as it always happened.

you know what fuck you, you do this every time i have posted it, with a different new spin

OS vendors also add them cuck

sudo pacman -Sy intel-ucode

Not a chance. Dumb normies and gaymers will continue buying Intel chips and not even know these vulnerabilities exist. At worst they'll just remove Hyperthreading from future Xeons.

A.k.a. Intel recommends nobody buy a 9900K.

No way. They're fucked this time. Data centers are going to immediately lose up to 30% of their performance because they have to disable hyperthreading on anything that client code runs on. That's a big enough performance loss to start refreshing with EPYC.

This has always been the case, Current gen Intel with all patches is now most certainly slower than AMD FX bulldozer

Except AMD and ARM who are not affected.

>At worst they'll just remove Hyperthreading from future Xeons.
I don't think you have articulated the magnitude of that event even as a hypothetical.

Yeah boi

Except the Spectre/Meltdown microcode update fucked our CPUs up the worst in terms of performance.

These are extremely complex exploits that are even more limited thanks to mitigation that slow down the process of finding useful data from memory.
In a world where people will run any .exe file they find online something like this will only be used against specific targets who are too dumb to protect themselves from these attacks.
Make no mistake this is deadly for Intel corporate clients and will bleed this company even further but the majority of end users shouldn't be too concerned about this

>security flaws draw more revenue
>implying muh gaymen matters in terms of sales over the enterprise market
Are you fucking clinically brain dead? Look at Intel vs AMD sales in the server market. Even if every single gaymen on /v/ updated to an i9 that wouldn't begin to recoup the losses Intel is suffering due to the 6th millionth security flaw this week.

not everything is conspiracy, you Jow Forumstard

>when you have a ryzen 3
>same number of threads as a 9700k
>no security flaws tho

Hope your vindication isnt fleeting

I bought it right after it launched because I needed a new PC at the time. I'd have rather had a Ryzen 3 but it wasn't possible.

Attached: hio88m05xnv01.jpg (600x600, 24K)

It's a feature

Finally my fx will be vindicated.

It's like every 1-3 months there are new vulns, isn't it?

I've pointed out that this comes up like clockwork and I get called a lying shill for it. Whereas the real shills promise there will be no new vulns.

How many intel vulnerabilities are there?

Intel needs to rework their entire arch instead of just patching more things onto a pentium pro

They are but that shit takes 3-5 years.

It's going to be funny if AMD has patents for certain security features, though.
Part of Intel's many security issues seems to be that they evaded IBM's SMT patents for their inferior hyperthreading.

Too many to count really

>nobody could have predicted this
Well this certainly started happening because their cpus predicted lots of things

rekt

who names this things

either way, another month another vuln, I'm pretty sure you can average 1 vuln per month since meltdown now

>It's like every 1-3 months
>I've pointed out that this comes up like clockwork
A period of time that has a length three times longer than its minimum isn't "like clockwork" unless you're using something else to gauge it.

good goy, throw your money at our products.