JS hate

Why all the JS hate?
I just want to make fun web apps that can run anywhere with the only dependency being a browser

Attached: sadboi.png (627x479, 510K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUHx-bnfZI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

People tend to hate what they don't understand. And refusing to use use a technology when it clearly would be an essential use case only speaks about fanatical hate.

I believe no one has put it better than the nuclear GitHub readme:

"On an unrelated note, highly polarized opinions about languages and frameworks are characteristic of people who lack real-world programming experience and are more interested in building an identity than creating computer programs."

Cheers.

Because why would you use JS when you could use WebAssembly?

>only dependency being a browser
web browsers are huge bloated beasts

>apps that can run anywhere
that was the idea of Java Applets and Flash
back then everyone had Java and Flash so the web browser was essentially the only dependency
JS app fad will die too, this time along with failed World Webkit Web

>JS app fad
is not a fad

don't worry about what other people think. if you want to do it, then do it.

To be fair JS has evolved a lot since the early days of Node, even.

real module support, async/await, promises, etc. make it far more sane to use.

JS is the result of meddling by UNIX companies in order to shit up the web, like everything else (This time, Sun takes the blame.).
Originally, the web's language was meant to be Scheme (Lisp). A sound idea.
However, here came Brandon Eich and Sun Microsystems. They said "Fuck having good things for once", and so conspired to replace Scheme with an unholy aberration, designed using Java as a guide, which lead to its name.
So now you know why.

sounds true but broad generalizations. People could have good arguments with

the hottest take of them all

because the browsers are going to die user..
they are slow and weak compare to desktop/phone apps..
peer to peer is faster everybody are going to realize it soon so dont bother to focus on web apps..
but you can learn JS if you want its always good to know more..

people who like programming real computers hate js monkeys because they are a disgrace.
case in point every javascript tutorial ever they know absolutely nothing about computers and don't care. fuck em

JS enables and encourages all sorts of bad programming practices.

What if i want to interact with peers on a website

so does a lot of things

I use it all the time and its ok, but i just don't like the syntax all that much and the logic can be a bit convoluted at times.

you can...
not with client to host method..
do you know any popular browser that do that?

would scheme/lisp really have been a good choice to have casual programmers learn?
the beauty of javascript (especially the early version) is that you don't need to be a programmer programmer to get started with it.
it sounds like their initial idea was to have "real" programmers build java applets and then have the javascript programmers build the code between the applets and the html.
lisp is not the most straightforward language to learn, so i think it could have been harder for casual programmers to pick up.
keep in mind, too, that they needed to get something working quickly (eich build the js prototype in a week or two), since they had to keep microsoft at bay. and this wasn't the microsoft everyone knows today. this was the SearchAndDestroy, EmbraceExtendExtinguish evil version of MS (pre-antitrust case), so the stakes were high and netscape had to do whatever it could to stay alive, minute by minute. they may have made some shortsighted (from our vantage point today) decisions, but they didn't have the luxury of time on their side in 1995.

nah I get what you sayin. people hosting stuff kinda like BBS. You still want to build layouts and google will still be giving people tools to run javascript

youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUHx-bnfZI

thats a pretty interesting thing that i saw while ago..
its related.. try to enjoy it if you have the time

Are you thinking people will handle the traffic with at home servers? Its still gonna be mainly hosted by big companies

But Eich said that he wanted Scheme but had to create JavaScript/LiveScript or otherwise something even worse would have been used.

the data/sites are distributed through the network of peers. the data/sites live on everyone's devices.

>Its still gonna be mainly hosted by big companies
Not necessarily the whole idea is that your computer uploads and downloads information simultaneously like a torrent network ..
There is no need to send a request to the server to get information and that is all the beauty in this technology

Awfully designed, no good programmers, and destroying the web with huge load sizes and lag.

Good luck finding Javascript programmers who aren't too retarded to work with all that stuff.

JS is here to stay

I can work with all that stuff, does that mean I'm employable?

Not only is Lisp not an easy to learn language, It's not a very good applications language. I don't think Scheme for the web was ever a generally agreed idea, just an academic wet dream of 3rd world children coding lisp.

even most coding bootcamp women can handle await

Yes but don't work with JavaScript

clojure is lisp that can transpile to javashit and run in the web browser, so we have that

I would kill to work with some of those programmers after some of the retards I have seen.

Either a bunch of Neets or have their heads stuck up their asses too far to get with the times.

I don't know what to tell you, I've had bad JavaScript work experience. I had a lot of hope for JavaScript, but every cool feature was held back by programmers who couldn't learn them no matter what the leadership team did. Thinking "he has a different experience than me, he must have never had any experiences" is some autism/brainlet shit.

The overall goal is Wasm will be the IR standard for all of these existing languages to compile and run on the web. Doing away with any transpiler nonsense.

No, down rating the most widely used internet language because of your own personal experience is autism/brainlet shit.

The post was about work experience.

Nigga, idk about you, but i rather have a real programmer programming things.
This isnt an excel worksheet or a data warehouse, we need people that can get shit done.

I don't hate JS, I hate how most websites use it. I feel like it has become the scapegoat for poor/ malicious web design. However, being honest if JS did not exist and the web was still reliant on only HTML+CSS, a lot of the malicious tracking done on the web would be a little less sophisticated.

Because it's slow to develop and slow to run.

>using Java as a guide
it had nothing to do with JS, it was pure marketing piggybacking off java applets prior success

JS was created in a rush during the browser pissing contest in the 90's. It was an ad hoc solution to a nonexistent problem, but it was shiny and new so it got crammed into everything. for the first decade all it was used for was gimmicky visual effects on cutesy personal websites. it really is a miracle that it survived the first 10 years when you look at what it was actually being used for. at some point in time, people made the mistake of thinking since it had been around for a while it was mature or something and they began pushing a gimmicky language into production code. total monstrosities have been created in a vain effort to make the happy meal toy of languages into a useful tool. developers who have to work around these monstrosities grow to hate the language and the people who use it.

sure nowadays that's true, but back in 1995 we weren't building anything very complicated in javascript. maybe animated images or webpage view counters.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 11.51.37 PM.png (600x118, 28K)

>for the first decade all it was used for was gimmicky visual effects on cutesy personal websites. it really is a miracle that it survived the first 10 years when you look at what it was actually being used for.
not entirely. i built chat and 2.5D tile games with it in 1999/2000. It was only 4-5 years old then. (sure do wish i had had ajax back then though)

I don't know OP. I recently started learning webdev and it's pretty fun. Don't know what all the hate is about.

The only people who hate on JS are people who know absolutely nothing about webdev