OpenBSD bros

So what are you doing right now while everyone else is busy patching their onions OS to mitigate the latest Intel CPU bug?

Attached: p.png (1072x802, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/3395439/intel-hyper-threading-zombieload-cpu-exploit.html
openbsd.org/macppc.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I am seriously trying to install OpenBSD on my PowerPC shitbox, but it doesn't even boot.

You can just avoid using Intel instead of crippling yourself with subpar OSes.

Install Gentoo.

OpenBSD is bloat. Use 9front

What makes OpenBSD so secure and not vulnerable to this latest whateverthefuck?

misguided opinions

honesty truth and transparency

They already disabled hyperthreading.

just disable HT in your bios. problem solved.

>using bell labs crap

Unironically this.

smaller attack surface aka lack of functionality

>If you’re in a panic to figure out how to turn off Intel’s Hyper-Threading feature to prevent ZombieLoad, the latest Spectre-like CPU security exploit, then take a deep breath—Intel’s official guidance does not actually recommend that.

pcworld.com/article/3395439/intel-hyper-threading-zombieload-cpu-exploit.html

>implying OpenBSD users didn't want to use Plan 9, but had to settle for OpenBSD because of software they need

>implying i'm shilling openbsd

can openbsd even run properly my applications with same performance like on linux?

Tried to install openbsd yesterday. PC wouldn't even boot with USB plugged in.

Same performance? No, it's noticeably slower, especially on older machines. Anyone who denies this is delusional.
The only scenario where OpenBSD actually makes sense is on an internet-facing server where security is paramount.
It offers virtually no practical advantage over GNU/Linux on a production machine.

Two of the biggest beginner mistakes:
1. download the iso instead of the usb img
2. download the wrong pc architecture

It may be one of those that prevented your installation.

Attached: puffy65.gif (599x199, 46K)

OpenBSD has no drivers

and phones. i have it on my phone and network firewall/router/compressor/dns/vpn thing. it's a good OS if you really think ricing your OS is for fags and simple functionality is good.

The install went well but won't boot? If you mean that, boot into open firmware and do
boot hd:, ofwboot
I may've mixed up the right kind if colon, but it's something like that. Later you may want to change the autoboot command from mac-boot to that or give it an alias.

I didn't imply that, though.

Using a SSD that is fully supported.

It can boot on practically anything. What's your hardware?

Is there like a BSD comparison that isn't horribly outdated?

Actually no, what I mean is that the USB image does not even boot on my machine. It might be that I'm doing something wrong, though.

openbsd.org/macppc.html

>openbsd.org/macppc.html
Thank you, that worked.

boot usb1/disk@1:,ofwboot /6.5/macppc/bsd.rd

Attached: 1557194486673.jpg (604x516, 41K)

Attached: 26b.png (720x644, 67K)

Works on my machines

OpenBSD is affected by MDS, although to a lesser degree than others because HT is disabled by default. I expect they will still issue an advisory soon. OpenBSD may be unaffected by zombieload because it seems more specific to HT.

Either way, the dumb comments in this thread illustrate why BSD will never be popular on Jow Forums. There's too much disinformation. If you like OpenBSD, or any BSD, do yourself a favor and stick with other places. IRC, mailing lists, Twitter... I'd almost say even r*ddit is better. You will save many brain cells that would've been lost arguing with morons on Jow Forums.