Why did optical media die? It was based

Why did optical media die? It was based.

Attached: 1022-1st-movie-disc-1.jpg (400x277, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tedium.co/2017/02/02/disc-rot-phenomenon/
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-nearly-halved-over-five-years-mpaa-report-says/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Muh convenience!

It was slow and too permanent. Easy to damage too.

easily scratched
decays over time
slow seek times

Oh yeah, I love having my data stored on a medium that can be interrupted by a single fleck of dust or a small scratch you need a microscope to see.

The more data you cram onto a disc, the more you can lose due to damage or dust or smudges.

Not only that but the plastic goes off over the years, look up disc rot.

Also the fucking noise of a disc spinning as fast as it possibly could.

Attached: 33f.jpg (600x448, 58K)

>The more data you cram onto a disc, the more you can lose due to damage or dust or smudges.
Error correction solves this.

error correction can only go so far

if you're storing 50gb on a disc, that 2cm scratch is probably several dozen mb in size.

It used mechanical parts, which add bulk and weight to the devices. Also mechanical parts are delicate and random access is difficult.
Also
>saying "based" unironically

Well, you still hear the occasional press release about holographic disks, but for the moment it's still vapor.

For conventional optical disks, the pits were sized to the wavelength of light used, and blu-ray was already at the short-wavelength end of the visible spectrum. Can't really increase density further without going UV, and I don't know if there's any such lasers/disc material that doesn't absorb UV etc.

>wanting to shit up the environment with more plastic

Attached: Dj9S4knW0AAoKkA.jpg (1024x552, 43K)

dvd-ram allows drag and drop.

If you have a 6TB optical disk, and you're only storing 3TB of data, you could literally destroy 49% of the disk and you'd have enough information left to recover the data.
This kind of error redundancy doesn't care about physics, it's completely mathematical and it's used everywhere from music encoding to hard drives, SSDs, your Internet, and communication with satellites.

dvd-ram was pretty boss back when flash media was small, slow as shit tho

HVD looks like jelly

you can't unsee

>literally hundreds of millions of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays sold every year
Only zoomers with their throwaway lives and no actual possessions think that optical media is dead.

Pajeet confirmed. I feel you OP, there definitely is a bit of muh nostalgia involved with disk, but why when a smart phone is capable of more than computers were about 3 decades ago.

Good point. Nibbas need to be out planting trees. And not running water when we brush our teeth. We are wasteful as fuck, it's only a mater of time before our resources can't meet population necessity

DVD doesn't support 720p or 1080p, i doubt people buy those anymore

It's still massively more reliable than floppy disks were. Those were pieces of shit that spontaneously died for no apparent reason at all all the time.

>millions
lmao dying market

Probably because of all the drm that came with Blu-ray.

>Why did optical media die?
it never died, you're just a computer illiterate zoomer that can't afford a bluray burner.
> what is error correction?
> nobody uses dvd anymore
> what is dirt cheap and permanent storage?
fucking retards, ladies and gentlemen.

I remember shopping at Goodwill and finding VHS tapes like Roadhouse and Predator for sale at $3 a tape. Those were the good ole' days alright.
*sips*

you do know they're fucking retards, right? this is the generation that's going to be remembered for pure cancer, a morally bankrupt culture and how corporations were able to fuck them in the asses with no lube on a daily basis and they came back to beg for more. these same stupid cunts will be crying in years to come because:
> MUH STEAM GAMES HAVE BEEN WITHDRAWN! I DON'T HAVE BACKUPS!
> MUH RENTED SOFTWARE NO LONGER WORKS! I DON'T HAVE BACKUPS!
> MUH FAVOURITE MUSICIAN'S STREAMS ARE GONE! I DON'T HAVE BACKUPS!
> etc.

zoomers are the most tech illiterate people I have ever encountered, and i have been working with computers since 1986. really can't wait to see the next generation of life's losers in 10 years time. they'll have no idea how to click on pretty icons on an ipad. the ipad will be considered to be too complex for the pea shaped brains.

Reminder that we could have had 1PB discs by now

Attached: hyper cd-rom.png (1190x560, 110K)

More DVDs are sold than Blu-Rays even in 2019.

Hundreds of millions.

VHS sucks, Laserdisc is the best home format of all time.

Yep, zoomers think poking at a phone app is high tech wisdom. They are dependent on the corporate teat for every aspect of their pathetic lives. Imagine if there was a big war or another Carrington event, what would a zoomer do? Wander into the road and gaze up into the sky, phone held over their head until they expire from starvation.

In the late 2000s there were BILLIONS of DVDs being shipped around by Netflix alone.

>Dr Pavel
Back to /tv/ with you.

No there weren’t. Optical media will never die.thats the beauty of the format - as long as you take care of the discs they will last for a very long time, unlike flash or magnetic storage they can last hundreds of years.

>as long as you take care of the discs they will last for a very long time

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 25K)

That disc has been physically abused, Zoomer.

>decays in time
what doesnt you cletus...
unless you expect to live for 200 years its not an issue for you.

You can't store more than a GB or so on DVDs, and Blurays are so expensive that USBs are the better choice

it's 4.7gb you retard.

The "technology" board, everyone.

I don't give a shit. It's still pretty small.
>he isn't a consumerist fucktard? must not know about tech

Betch, you can find Laserdiscs from less than 30 years ago that have rotted beyond repair

Granted, disc manufacturing and error correction has come a long way, but optical media is far from a permanent medium, specially if you don't keep them in an oxygen-free environment

A 100GB M-Disc is like $10.

Something tells me Jow Forums is only upset over optical dying because they know they'll never see high bitrate pirate remuxes ever again. If so then you contributed to it's demise and may your dreams be filled with A:10 V:10 Pajeet YIFY testimonials.

Relatively few Laserdiscs have disc rot problems and that was only because of a manufacturing defect. Most Laserdiscs are not affected by the issue.

t. user with over 1000 Laserdiscs.

You literally didn't know about that tech.

Optical isn’t dying though. Every major new film and show is still released both on Blu-Ray and DVD.

OMG RAM IS DYING

CIRCUIT BOARDS ARE DYING

Just shows how insulated from the real world zoomers are, if they think optical media are dying. Just because laptops don’t have optical drives any more this doesn’t mean it’s a dying format.

Why don't they release movies on flash drives?

Not enough space for a cover.

More expensive than optical media. Same reason why the “Switch Tax” is a thing on /v/.

Put it inside a giant box

Brilliant¡¡

Top lel

The real reason optical media is being phased out is because you can control a population if you control the media. Netflix can now decide what people can watch. If something isn't on there, large parts of the population now won't have any access to it whatsoever. You can't just watch a DVD when there's nothing on TV if all you have is Netflix. Suddenly all your media comes from one source, and that source is now all-powerful.

Good thing the servers that host your baby photos will never, ever, ever get old or be replaced or even just become obsolete! Phew! Thank you, based Google!

Data is volatile and any preservation attempt is futile.

based doomer however kys

based

Attached: 1529386693317.png (98x128, 25K)

they've been saying that for decades

been finding it hard to accept myself as a data hoarder but maybe I should just accept the ephemerality of life

I have several CDs from the early 90s that are in perfect condition. And I haven't even been extremely careful with them just didn't expose them to extreme heat or humidity.
>how do you know they work fine
recently ripped them all using EAC to upload to RED

I heard later DVDs use organic dye instead of inorganic so they decay.

Yeah, and it was so slow that you had time to commit sudoku.

I have DVDs that are at least a decade old and are absolutely fine.
I even have a bunch of DVD-R that I bought ages ago that are still fine
I've only seem decay from discs that I got from other people and were exposed to a lot of light and heat

Nothing brings out the trolls and actual zoomer retards like a good old optical disc thread.

tedium.co/2017/02/02/disc-rot-phenomenon/

From the article I posted: 1; Discs with significant errors are often still at least partially readable, according to Youket. “In the case that a disc has an uncorrectable error, depending on where this error occurs much of the data is still recoverable,” she explained in an interview. “Many discs with high errors are still playable, and depending on the content—audio, video, or data—even an uncorrectable error may not be serious.” 2; A scratch at the top of a CD is more problematic than one on the bottom. Why’s that? Youket says that the standards for these optical formats include built-in error-correction schemes that can work around scratches in at the bottom of the discs. “However,” she says, “because the reflective layer is only covered by a thin coating of acrylic with an ink-printed label, scratches to the top surface can penetrate through and damage the reflective layer.” 3; DVDs generally have better integrity than do CDs because the disc’s reflective layer is pressed inside the polycarbonate discs. But the discs are often more susceptible to breaking apart due to chemical reactions between the layers and the polycarbonate discs—and as a result, layers can delaminate over time. Dual-layer discs, however, tend not to hold up so well. 4; Recordable discs don’t last as long, in part because of the organic dye used to record the bytes onto discs, which Youket says is vulnerable to degradation—particularly in the case of recordable DVDs, which have higher levels of light sensitivity, making them more susceptible to failure. Additionally, she says the way a recordable disc is burned is a major factor in defining its lifespan—a poorly recorded disc tends to wear out more quickly.

5; Proper storage and handling helps. Ultimately, Youket notes that, according to LoC’s own aging tests (which determined the life expectancy of discs based on changes in their bit-level error rate), discs are much more likely to survive over long periods if they’re handled correctly and stored in good conditions. “These studies have shown that a well-made pressed compact disc can last many decades if stored and handled properly,” she noted, adding that “discs that are stored in harsh environmental conditions with elevated temperature and/or humidity will have shorter expected lifetimes than discs stored in more controlled conditions

>can't afford a bluray burner
aren't they like $50?

Sorry for the wall of text, I guess the line brakes didn't appear for some reason.

because BDs use stricter copyright protection, you need special software to use BD burners

It’s not being phased out though, Zoomer. All new movies and shows are still released on both DVD and Blu-Ray, and all new music is still released on CD.

Please read the thread before you reply next time lest you make yourself seem like an idiot again.

I have the original CD, the one Philips released with their first CD player as a demo (it came in the box) and it still plays perfectly.

Micro releases on burned DVDs as a bespoke item pressed a few hundred times exist of course, but it’s actually pretty cheap to get a CD or DVD pressed with a real glass master. It doesn’t make sense economically to release burned DVDs commercially except for tiny batch productions. It’s simply too expensive.

the struggle is real but we must keep fighting

>my first 2GB hard drive from 1998 still works
>my first recorded CD-R from 2001 still works
>my first recorded DVD-R from 2005 still works
I don't have my first sd card(s) at me, but I bet they would still work too.

my first sd card from 2002 works

It didn't dead kiddo. It is used for archival usage patterns and physical distribution for gaming consoles and software distribution in closed network environments.

>still released on DVD and Blu-ray and CD
for now.
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-nearly-halved-over-five-years-mpaa-report-says/
physical sales have tanked recently and no amount of head in the sand thinking will change that. there will not be a next gen physical disc beyond uhd blu-ray which has absolute shit adoption, and it's quite likely that streaming only will be the only way to watch media in a few decades.

It's not dead, it's more a collector's item now. Vinyl for example is back to being popular after being dead

I'm pretty sure Japan is literally the only country where people buy more BDs than DVDs. I don't know why everyone else is so retarded.

>Oh yeah, I love having my data stored on a medium that can be interrupted by a single fleck of dust or a small scratch you need a microscope to see.
Not really true. I rent DVDs from the library still and they have been completely scratched to hell. Usually I'm still able to make a 1:1 copy. Error correction is a thing.

It's also interesting how everything you said applies to HDDs too

I could see streaming being the only option for movies and TV sometime in the future. I don't think music CDs will ever die though. There's way too much niche stuff and people that listen to it are cranky like me and refuse to stream.

I have a disc that looks exactly like that, along with cracks in the inner circle. Yet the CD still has all my pictures from the 2000s

My first 128MB USB Thumbdrive still has all my highschool work from the early 2000s

Do what? I burn them with imgburn

M-Disc doesn't have such issues - it's already translucent to begin with. Been using these discs for about a decade now, they're awesome.

Attached: M-Disc_Translucent.jpg (2328x1746, 2.47M)

I work at a corner store and would put money on it that 99% of the Blu-ray discs sold in the store wind up in my collection at home. Practically everyone who buys discs buys DVDs over Blu-rays

I buy BDs.

Why not a optical-like drive that uses HDD platters as discs? Didn't they used to make magneto-optical kinda stuff years ago?

Attached: hdd-platter-stock-illustration-2050481.jpg (1300x814, 89K)

A write-once DVD stored in optimal conditions and only used when necessary is not exactly volatile considering it will last 100 years. Plus you can always transfer the data to another disc or different medium before the disk is expected to no longer function. Maybe even by then we'll have even better storage media that can last a millennia.

Attached: this.jpg (1000x1000, 48K)

>Laserdisc is the best home format of all time.
Lol no
Laserdisc is the WORST form of optical media

Costing dollars per unit? Just no.
It's more about logistics, not technology.

Ironically, using Blu-ray to consume media might be cheaper than streaming trough data capped internet.

/thread.

tpbp

There was once a time something like that existed (the 70s). But as density increased and distance between the head and platter narrowed, you simply can only use HDD platters in perfectly clean air with zero dust. Modern HDD Floppy would be next to impossible unless the reading/writing head is build in and it never opens, but then it just turns into a normal HDD at that point.

Stupid zoomers want everything to be streamed, they don't want anything locally that they can call their own.

>95% of my music and movies come from Blurays and CDs. More obscure music though like Love, Claire have to be online.

Attached: how do you do fellow teenagers.jpg (640x640, 65K)

>Optical Media
>Dead
Blu-Rays are still around, 4K UHD blu rays are still around, and archival disk is still around and can go up to 3.3tb now.

>Even pretending that it's the 1950's and using a [23,12,7] code doesn't exist
Okay

Video streaming gives me cancer with its arse low bitrate

I don't think he means decays but gets damaged from use and bad storage of them. If the optical discs are stored in a wet climate and hot the 2 plastics plates on the outside will closeness and your data gets corrupted

Sometimes DVDs are technically superior too

In terms of bitrate for the same resolution (480p for DVDs) a maxed out dvd (9.5mbit of mpeg 2) is equivalent to about 3.325mbit of VP9 but if the media is perfect for it (aka when vp9 matches h265) it can drop to 2.375mbit equivalence. Netflix is 1.75mbit, aka a maxed out DVD does have better bitrate equivalence than 480p netflix. However most DVDs were down at the 6mbit range, which makes them slightly worse to slightly better in terms of raw bitrate equivalence.
Aka: at 480p netflix basically matches average media, at 1080p it loses (about 5mbit vs the average equivalent bitrate of 10-17.5 from blu rays (20-25 h264, but can hit 40)
At 4k you get on average 12mbit from netflix and are getting 80-120mbit from your 4k UHD blu rays.

USB sticks killed them.

Networking got good enough that they weren't needed anymore.