U.S...

U.S.-China trade wars have made American-designed SoCs such as Qualcomm Snapdragon more expensive in China due to tariffs. In the short term, Chinese manufacturers will try to source more smartphones SoCs and modems from MediaTek and Samsung. In the long term, more companies will be making high-end phone SoCs, not just Huawei. China, as a national strategy, may also ramp up efforts to develop viable alternative to Intel/AMD general computing processors (probably using their own instruction set as not to be beholden to western IP owners) and Nvidia/AMD GPUs.

How do you feel about this?

Attached: Snapdragon-855.jpg (720x533, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunway_SW26010
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I couldn't care less.

mediatek already gave up on high end socs

>How do you feel about this?
Moving factories to china and buying cheap chink shit wasn't a very clever idea in the end.

Now Chinks are going to make chips that directly compete with American ones and start global price war to the bottom.

looks like Jow Forums is going to have to start having lg, latitude general, instead of tpg cuz of lenovo and other gook commie brands getting tariff hiked. time ti start buying and making more things in the US or other gook countries besides nigger-chink china.

This depends on how the war is resolved.

Chinese can't design their own chips so we're safe.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunway_SW26010

It's a special purpose processor that probably can't be used for general computing, but it has a very interesting design and uses modified MIPS instructions. It's a very good start.

But the only American tech brand is Apple or Google. I literally can't think of any other western brand in tech. Everything else is nipshit, gookshit or chinkshit.

Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Qualcomm. It's the price of these companies' products increasing in China due to tariffs that will spur Chinese companies to develop directly competing products.

wot about intel, amd, nvidia, arm, texas instruments, nxp, infineon, onsemi, qualcomm, international rectifier, and stmicroelectronics off the top of my head

Trump is the destroyer of economies. Especially ones he's responsible for.

Demented reverse billionaire fast-food president.

Fuck you, ameritards. Seriously go fucking kys.

Keep crying bitch nigga.

ARM is British, NXP is Dutch, Infineon is German, International Rectifier is owned by Infineon, STMicro is French, and OnSemi is completely irrelevant.

>Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Qualcomm
>wot about intel, amd, nvidia, arm, texas instruments, nxp, infineon, onsemi, qualcomm, international rectifier, and stmicroelectronics
I mean consumer tech, phones, laptops, TVs, etc

We used to have IBM, HP, Motorola, etc, Now they've moved away from consumer tech or have been bought out by Asian corporations.

Attached: 1528189953810.jpg (313x300, 17K)

you said "I can't think of any other WESTERN"

Europe is Africa now

Qualcomm get Samsung to manufacture all its stuff, one of the plants is in Austin but the other 2 are in Korea so I think no biggie, they'll rebalance production across all three fabs to get around the problem. Unless some serious Qualcomm-directed ITAR-type regulation comes in they should be OK this is tariffs not sanctions.

You can't get around tariffs just buy doing final manufacturing in another country. Customs will make companies break down how much of the product's value was created in which country, and assess tariff based on that. Since Snapdragon's design was done in the U.S. and the IPs are held by an American company, China will assess tariff on the entire price of Snapdragon chips minus the cost Qualcomm can prove they paid to Samsung or TSMC for contact manufacturing.

This is also the reason Apple products are hardly affected by U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods despite being manufactured in China (U.S. customs only assess punitive China tariffs on the value that was added to the product thorough manufacture in China which comes out to whatever Apple paid to Foxconn and Pegatron for assembly and the cost of the casing).

Intel is Israeli

/thread

looks like samsung is the big winner in this whole mess
more competition is always a good thing. tariffs enable competitors to enter the market, and globalization pushes the market towards centralization under a single trans-national monopoly.
funny how that works.

based digits

Tariffs just create regional champions that exact the same monopoly pricing in their respective boxed-in domains that were created by trade tariffs.

I think Trump is a fucking idiot who hasn't done a single thing, but if he manages to make China fuck off from the West I'll be thankful forever.

Is Jensen Huang not chinese? I thought Nvidia was chinese

It's a shame if this hit Qualcomm. I kinda liked them. Guess we will see more Chinese ARM chips in their smart phones, which will mysteriously resemble Snapdragon chips.

Lol.

Attached: welcome_to_da_net.jpg (1024x576, 83K)

This

As much as he's a buffon, he has balls to take on China without backing down. Stuff like technology transfer and IP theft by China are elephants in the room nobody from the other big industry nations is willing to address properly.

>if he manages to make China fuck off from the West

This is not going to happen. Even if he was the most competent politician in the world, he wouldn't be able to do this.

Qualcomm is the worst FRAND patent abuser in the world, they deserve to get killed.

>I love free market unless there is real competition

Chink are making stuff cheaper and w/o burger corporate/jewish bloat and greed.

Only option for burgers is to get more competitive but I don't see it happening with govt that is too weak to project it's power over corporations.

Based orange man.

Attached: bases_orange_man.png (690x686, 522K)

So far only American taxpayers have been paying for Trump's tariffs. This trade war doesn't benefit anyone.

Why just not forbid imported goods on american soil, that way all the money would stay in US.

∞% trade sufficite, that can't be bad?

>Why just not forbid imported goods on american soil
becase some materials do not exits in abundance or not exists at all un US soil

>This trade war doesn't benefit anyone.

Attached: 1481746843394.png (400x389, 48K)

It does, money is taken by federal govt from consumers that pay higher prices for goods and then that money Trump forwards to his rich buddies through govt contracts.

>/plng/ - Panasonic Let's Note General

>Oh shit look it's the weebshits who believe Taiwan Japan South Korea and Hong Kong make our technology.
Here's a redpill for you.
Without the U.S. those countries wouldn't have chips to make things.
All chips and architectures are made in the U.S., including the silicone wafers. They are then sold to taiwan etc. And they rebrand it and sell it back for more.
If the U.S. decided to stop selling chips to those countries tomorrow, i estimate the technology would gap within 4 years.
Micron Qualcomm Intel Amd Nvidia Broadcom etc.
The reality is that mediatek sony and a couple others buy the technology from the U.S. and copy/paste the architecture or formation of the board and chip. It's why Sony chips and Mediatek are never top end, because they wouldnt make money if the bought the best.
Same reason why the camera industry has stagnated. They are using the same chips from 7 years ago, because they make more money milking the consumer than paying for the latest tech.
>Inb4 samsung is a manufacturer
Samsung didnt manufacture ram and processors until the Rothschilds bought them.

>. Stuff like technology transfer and IP theft by China are elephants in the room nobody from the other big industry nations is willing to address
Probably because literally everyone does it, including America. It only became a problem when China started being able to compete in high tech sectors so mutts started throwing tantrums.

How do you grow a replacement host for the Jew otherwise?

US is going to collapse in 5 years tops.

It might as well have an US flag.Israel gets billions of aid from America every year,and jew love shekels.
It harms China,that's a benefit for all the west.
I will travel to the Xinjiang autonomous region to meet my friend winnie the pooh and eat falun dafa.After that we will do a great leap foward to the tianamen square to watch the anti-rightist struggle.

>I will travel to the Xinjiang autonomous region to meet my friend winnie the pooh and eat falun dafa.After that we will do a great leap foward to the tianamen square to watch the anti-rightist struggle.
Have fun :)

So it begins.

Attached: SmartSelectImage_2019-05-17-00-52-32.png (1439x1567, 874K)

>people are willing to destroy national sovereignty and economy for the sake of buying electronic toys for 20 cents cheaper
MADE IN CHINA was a mistake

He is Taiwanese, also mainlanders are commie scum

Except China is our main benefactor if bond purchases have been any indication. Basically by trying to tank their economy, we're not only shooting ourselves in the foot, we're effectively shooting ourselves in the face.

Attached: chinese-vulnerability-reporting.png (900x600, 99K)

Attached: 1548818596171.jpg (1584x864, 181K)

Based, thanks Trump

>All chips and architectures are made in the U.S., including the silicone wafers

ARM is a British ISA, ASML lithographers (only system capable of sub-20nm processes) are made in the Netherlands, most 300mm wafers are made in Japan with the rest made in S. Korea, and basically you have no fucking idea what you're talking about and are probably underage.

Not an argument

Attached: 1520674378924~01.png (169x292, 39K)

Attached: 1548778171021.png (399x370, 7K)

No he is right. Europe has a pathetic tech industry outside of three players: ARM, ASML, SAP. The rest of the major players are in the USA. The majority of the patents are held in the USA.

The USA made the mistake of allowing too much of its production to move offshore because at the time IP was where the big bucks were. Though even with offshoring you still have companies like Applied materials which is nearly as big as ASML. All the big foundry players are as reliant on their tech as they are on ASML.

I don't know why you are talking about silicon ingot production, it is not an area of high innovation. It is closer to steel production. The innovation is in processing those wafers with various types of ion beams.

Wow, he sure showed China. What a genius! Trump 2020! MAPA!

Meyersohn

>tfw parents live in extremely attractive residential area with some of the best performing high schools in the province, and this is not a fucking joke

Great as they look as they make better products

The people who run nvidia are Chinese.