How important are grades in the IS industry?

How important are grades in the IS industry?

Took twice as long to finish university and came out with a extremely bad gpa, due to severe depression. Only coming out of it now.

Do employers bother to check grades? I want to know if I should bother even trying to get into the industry.
FWIW in terms of actual skill and knowledge, I rivaled or outranked my student-tutors in most courses. I just never submitted work on time.

Attached: 1486431272926.png (402x443, 72K)

>hurr durr I'm smart and lazy

>How important are grades in the IS industry?
Is this a joke? Of course your grades in school didn't matter as long as you passed.

grades, like degrees will open doors, but their relevance decline once you gain and maintain decent work experience

>I just never submitted work on time
I'm sure employers would love you.

Do you know what they call someone who graduated from med school with a C average? "Doctor"

Do you know what they call someone who graduated from premed with a C average? "Med school reject".

I can't speak for not having it but every interview I've had asked about my "Graduated on the Deen's Honor Roll" that I put on my resume under achievements.

thats true but also a C gpa software engineer wouldnt necessarily kill anyone for not having a firm grasp on software

My experience is that good grades/extracurricular/side projects are most useful for getting internships at big tech (Google, Apple, etc.). Most local companies in my area seem very responsive to hiring me with mediocre grades albeit from a good school

You obviously haven't heard about Boeing lately.

haha i said wouldnt necessarily, thats a prominent outlier

>>How important are grades in the IS industry?
>Is this a joke? Of course your grades in school didn't matter as long as you passed.
The question is, are they going to look though? If they look, it'll be like peeling the undies of a fat hag. If not, then I'm fine - I can act like I'm the shit, no problem

>I can't speak for not having it but every interview I've had asked about my "Graduated on the Deen's Honor Roll" that I put on my resume under achievements.
Thanks for the input. That is the Deans List though and warrants close inspection. I wonder if plain old bachelors' will attract the same scrutiny

>My experience is that good grades/extracurricular/side projects are most useful for getting internships at big tech (Google, Apple, etc.). Most local companies in my area seem very responsive to hiring me with mediocre grades albeit from a good school
Did they know your grades were mediocre?

Attached: images-64.jpg (500x541, 26K)

They can't see specific school records if you don't give it to them. They're going to make sure you actually have a degree and that's it.

>IS industry
IS = information security?
experience + knowledge >>> degrees. you have to know your shit, and kids who come right out of college are simply ignorant and dumb.
don't mind the retards ITT.

>yeah bro just spend 5 years getting "experience" to make up for spending all your time in college partying

That's the same as taking the maximum amount of courses you can take in the semester but getting Bs and some Cs.

Some do, some don't. I worked for a place that had a min 3.5 GPA requirement, as well as currently working for a place that didn't give a shit as long as I passed their half day long interview process. A surprising number of places don't even require a degree, as long as you can prove you know what you're doing in the interview or in a personal portfolio or something. But I'm in CS/SE, IS may be different.

A degree is a degree. Puts you above or equal to a lot, many employers won't even ask for your grade.

The best thing you can do is show off the projects you created in Uni or personal projects. If they're reasonably good then you should be set.

Just degree would be enough to be give you a good fucking salary

Well, this is all very reassuring. The good part of my situation is that I'm not kidding - I really was head-and-shoulders above most of my peers while studying in terms of knowledge and ability. I don't know if thats because my school was shit or if I was smart, but as far as I know people do get jobs with the degree I have. If the sentiment of this thread is right, and most employers won't care to ask or check actual grades, then I think I'll be fine with the actual skills I have. If they do for some reason, then I'm royally fucked.

Attached: MX_1520853008356.jpg (576x768, 170K)

>Fresh graduate entry-level junior developer's first assignment is flight assistance for a commercial airplane
Nice one dumbass