Are these things any good? Just ordered a super cheap one from chinkland...

Are these things any good? Just ordered a super cheap one from chinkland. Do the drivers even work on modern operating systems?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1001x1001, 77K)

Lol. I just installed mine yesterday.
Weirdest thing. USB 3.0 works like charm BUT usb 3.0 ONLY.
Tried 3.0 pendrive and external hdd. Everything werks. 2 usb 2.0 pendrives and a mouse. Nope. Same external hdd through usb 2.0 cable. Nope.
I am fucking amazed with this wizardry.

Attached: IMG_20190515_193509.jpg (3264x2448, 533K)

bump

if its the hdd is powered through the usb cable i hear it won't work cause expresscard can only deliver half the power a usb can

Text on the box says it's 1.1 and 2.0 but then there's this picture.
Hdd gets power and spins with both cables. It's recognized with 3.0 only and works well with no additional power.

Attached: IMG_20190515_194036.jpg (2448x3264, 561K)

*1.1 and 2.0 compatible

Not yet

The shitty ones may overheat

yet?

Some include a cable to draw power from a nearby port.

Attached: Express-Card-Expresscard-54mm-to-USB-3-0x2-Port-Adapter-Free-shipping.jpg (800x800, 71K)

some don't, though

>Do the drivers even work on modern operating systems?
continue:

Drivers needed manual update in Win10
Also it was 0.25€ so it's top tier quality.
Sticks out a little bit OMM.
yeah I got this cable too. Thrown it away. Not needed for 2.5 hdd. But mine is single port. It may be necessary on dual port.

where'd you get the drivers from?

They came on CD. I had to take my external dvd to out of drawer.

I have this piece of shit, it "works" out of the box on linux and windows 10, but had to install drivers from cd on windows 7.
Keyboard, mouse and pendrives work, sharing the internet connection from my phone doesn't, linux and 7 failed to connect while windows 10 instantly crashed with a bluescreen.

Attached: IMG_20190516_152402.jpg (1380x916, 133K)

>PCIe device
Why shouldn't it?

Well yes windows 7 does not have native USB 3 drivers

Yeah that's reasonable and not really a problem, compared to the bluescreen on 10.

i have two thinkpads with those, they work good, but not for booting live usb thumbdrive linuxes, you have to use a stock usb port on the laptop, but once booted up they work good

they get hot as fuck

Yes, they are good upgrade options for older laptops that have PCMCIA/PC-CARD but don't have features you need (extra wired network, wifi, USB2, USB3, serial port etc)