Do you fags use the Chocolatey package manager?

Do you fags use the Chocolatey package manager?
It makes the garbage that is Windows somewhat more usable.

Attached: icon_slogan.png (1200x700, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scoop.sh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't call me a fag.

It's shit as far as real package managers go, but it certainly beats the usual Windows installer UX.

>tfw you're too autistic to install software like a normal person

Nigger.

If by like a normal person you mean using Google to find a trusted download link for the executable that is packed with malware to the brim that hopefully didn't install anyway when you unchecked every toolbar and "special offer" then hell yes

I manage my package by myself, thank you.

>he needs someone to manage his (outdated, limited) packages because he's too fucking retarded to find executables
Let me guess, you are deathly afraid of AUR too.

>cannot survive without a package manager
is this really what linux fags come down to?
on windows, you barely ever use the terminal, all you have to do is click and you're done

>you are deathly afraid of AUR too.
There's yay.

yes you fucking moron
that is how you install programs in windows

I prefer scoop.sh/

Can't install in drive other that C:

How can you possibly defend the process of installing programs on Windows?

How can you not? You have the same amount of control you claim to have with a CLI, without the clutter

It's not even a package manager. There's no clean repo, it just installs any old adware-bundled Windows binary without a care in the world. It's shit.

Some people don't need handholding for something as simple as installing programs, I actually hate how fucking outdated and tiny package repositories are and AUR is a godsend.

Repositories are safe since they are constantly vetted. You are trusting some random binary some fag uploads to his website
AUR is you giving root access to some skiddie so he can run some simple compile commands. Maybe try not being a brainlet.

You sound like the kind of person that installs antiviruses.

>press Win + Y (my easy Keypirinha shortcut, keys are next to each other)
>choco TAB install thunderbird
>it just does the right thing automatically
vs
Gee whiz, I sure do hate package managers now!

you mean doesn't install antiviruses? He is clearly new to windows, and not being able to use windows without an antivirus is an otherworldly idea for him

How the hell do people not using package managers upgrade their software? Go to 500 different developers' websites, download installer and click 50 times through it for every single package?
I think I'll keep using a single command that can run in the background while I do other stuff, thank you very much.

It's better than no package manager at all but it still sucks dick

>AUR is you giving root access to some skiddie so he can run some simple compile commands
makepkg doesn't even run if you're root
also you shouldn't install aur packages with brand new maintainers that no one knows nothing about

You don't understand what makes a package manager good besides security.
It's super easy to manage all installed software (keeping it up to date, (un)installing even multiple packages at once, keeping track of installed software etc.). It automates a lot of annoying tasks and that's why it's great.

How about reading a PKGBUILD before installing it?

lol why would you need that? install nanite. 1 click. or, if you have time to spare 2 more clicks, go to the windows app settings and uninstall whatever. Also programs remind you if there's a new version to install, so a pm is useless in that term

AUR > no package manager > "managed" package managers

scoop.sh is infinitely better but has less apps.
Some things are better off being installed without a package manager though, like discord.

I can guarantee that 99.99% of people don't read that and assume AUR is as safe as the regular repos. AUR is not needed. Just follow the compile instructions brainlet
Nice comeback rajeesh. Maybe try writing something that makes sense next time

The only one here that doesn't make sense is you

Attached: Capture.png (441x35, 3K)

>keeping it up to date, (un)installing even multiple packages at once, keeping track of installed software etc.
These are good things, having a big brother telling you what programs and what versions you are allowed to install is not a good thing.

> clutter
What's that 'clutter' you're speaking about?

>Lol no u
Better luck next time

a general sense of not being organized, or even having the ability to organize the stuff you're doing

What makes it better?

>Let me guess, you are deathly afraid of AUR too.

Don't you have a xorg to fix?

Its hard to find some obscure software which is usually more free and open with that. Instead most of the stuff is freemium.

If you visit the site there's enough information to see why it is better.

I personally just like that everything is installed as a portable app in user/scoop/apps so it is very clean. Not all windows apps are designed to be fully portable however, so you'll still see things like settings being saved in %appdata% but for the most part everything you install will be secluded to its own little folder.

Also, everything is open source and you can make your own installation manifests and host them yourself if there are apps you wish to add or if you just want to edit/improve existing ones to suit you better.

I tried chocolatey and while it is just as simple to install stuff as scoop and has a larger app repository, it's messier than even installing .exes directly and updates may not be pushed as quick.

>pages of JavaScript and CSS aren't clutter
End yourself. If I was retarded enough to use windows I'd rather use their app center to install shit than have to open a fucking web browser.

>I'd rather use their app center
You really don't want to do that.
Metro/Modern cancer aside, you need a Microsoft account, which ask for shit like phone numbers, names and e-mail adresses.

no, since most decent programs for windows have autoupdater built in software itself. Something that is exotic to loonixers

You realize that chocolatey just silently installs the usual installers, yeah?

With that said, I been using it for a few weeks now. It's pretty good for keeping your shit updated.

no, I compile everything from source after carefully examining the source code to make sure there is no malware.

>Package manager for Winblows
>Its walking autism

Attached: PLEBBIT_HEH.gif (1108x800, 181K)

I do, it's mostly useful because it reduces the time you have to spend on installing software.

I actually use scoop. A bit buggy, but better than the absolute slow garbage that is chocolatey

no because chocolatey is a faggy name