My laptop has this port. What can I do with it...

My laptop has this port. What can I do with it? I thought maybe a used audio interface for a headphone amp but on ebay used they are the same cost as new decent USB ones

Attached: firewire prot.png (245x250, 65K)

Connect your Mini DV Handycam to it

Fast data transfers not tied down by the cpu.

Would this make it with an external hard drive a better candidate for installing games on than USB3?

p-put your dick in it.

FireWire

No, because even with the CPU having to be interrupted to handle USB transfers, Firewire is old and is thus pretty slow compared to modern USB. The port is really good for nothing except some old video/photographic equipment. Nothing modern usesit.

Do any computers now still ship with FireWire? They were pretty common on laptops a decade ago, but that was long before USB3 came about.

A lot of desktop mobos still have ports, although I don't think any laptops still do. FireWire is still preferred over USB for audio hardware because it has significantly less latency.

these ports have DMA and can be used to force unlock ur windows snd suck all ur cp out

This
OP this port is primarily used by government agents. At the minimum, you should disable the port in BIOS, uninstall the drivers, and fill the port with glue. A leat hackerman told me this.

the last 2 iterations of firewire would have been fast enough for things like games, even on ssds most things cap around 300mb if even there for how fast the drive needs to be, and seak times barely benefit beyond facilitating always hitting that cap.

at this point firewire and usb3 could probably compete, however if the overhead of usb trumps firewire in real world use is a good question.

>1394
thats the year ottoman crossed the bosporus strait and besige constantinople

Nah, it is because everyone moved to use apple for audio production.

Never seen that before

This laptop has USB3, FireWire, ExpressCard and eSata so it's pretty nice portwise.
It's Ivy Bridge CPU so that gives you the idea of the era it came from. It also has 2 HDD bays, mSata, 4 RAM and two mini pcie slots, as well as an upgradable CPU and GPU.
I upgraded it to a chink 980M and 16gb RAM so even with its Ivy Bridge CPU it's more than capable of playing modern games at 1920x1080

Travel back to 1394

FireWire is faster than USB2.0 but slower than USB3.0
Most likely you have slower USB ports so you can speed up your transfer speeds with it.

If you’re not in audio production, or have old MiniDV cameras lying around, then best I can think of offhand is for external HDs if you want to free up some USB ports. It’s faster in practice than USB2 and you can daisy chain devices.

Kind of surprised they put in a 400 and not an 800 port.

Yeah I figuired this would be the final answer, I already have 2TB of SSD storange onboard and an eSATA port for when that isnt enough.
Was hoping there'd be some whacky peripheral that I wasn't aware of that I could mess about with

You wasted quads to say this shit in a thread about an antiquated data transfer port? This could have unlocked some prime nudes on /b/ asshole