Fanless small servers

post interesting fanless boxes which can serve as small home servers

pic related has 5x gbit intel nic, slot for 8gb ddr3 and mSATA port costs $100 from chinks

Attached: Fanless-Mini-PC-pFsense-Celeron-J1800-J1900-Quad-Core-4-Gigabit-LAN-Firewall-Router.jpg (1000x1000, 261K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apu-board.de/produkte/apu2d4.html
sapphiretech.com/zh-tw/commercial/amd-fs-fp5v
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Raspberry pi.

If you need more performance don't waste your money and get something sane with a fan.

I bought this thing for 20-30usd i think
plugged in two 3tb drives
its now my file/ftp server since

Attached: 9724_big.jpg (1000x692, 146K)

Doesn't the chip in OP's pic have some kind of early death issue? I think the part number starts with J and it's an Intel.

Isn't the J1900 one of those embedded Celerons that bricked themselves after a random amount of time?

Oh, fuck the API.
Had already mentioned it.

Figures, Intel always gets away with selling pozzed silicon. No wonder it's being used in chinkshit

wait a min.... tf.... are there any viable options then if these two are garbage?

fucking downvoting this thread

you see this spacing?

this is reddit now

fight me

Just run them in a redundant cluster if you are worried about them exploding. More work, sure, but they don't use much power and they don't cost much.

oh fuck you so hard
you want a viable option? just daisy 12 invalid choices!
you fuckin piece of shit

stop being poor and build your own proper server. Doesn't even have to be crazy, but super cheap Chink shit is super cheap for a reason. Just going to cause you a headache in the end and you'll just end up building one then. Sometimes being cheap can get expensive.

Are there any AMD versions of this things? Or is the only alternative to Intel pozzed garbage trashy badly supported ARM stuff

PC Engines APU are a classic choice for pfSense/OPNsense boxes. About 200 bucks for a pro-grade router/firewall/VPN box

apu-board.de/produkte/apu2d4.html

Attached: apu2c4.jpg (800x800, 155K)

I remember wayyy back people used to use Soekris boards that were like this, only problem is that certain boards were prone to crashing/overheating, and CF cards are kinda gay.

you're possibly the only person in this thread that doesn't wear his ass as a hat

it does got somewhat warm but it has been running 24/7 the last 3 months. 100% rock solid after some initial tinkering. Combined with an Ubiquiti AP this makes for a superb home network for a fair price.
(I do now notice how my IPSs modem sucks ass though, and I kinda want to replace it.)
t-thanks
I'm not an expert in networks in any means and I maybe use like 10% of the features of OPNsense. But this easily BTFOs any consumer solution and doesn't cost that much more. I don't get why you would spend money on a Fritzbox or some Asus UFO instead.

Oh, and you don't use CF cards with these, but mSATA SSDs.

I'm still running an apu1d4 with opnsense and it's great.
>tiny, fanless Unix server with a proper serial console

>serial console
That is seriously so much more convenient than a video out for this kind of computer. Was really comfy setting this thing up with just a laptop
>server
What kind of workload do you throw at it?
I was originally thinking of dedicating my box just to routing & firewall but that barely registers on the CPU load. So I might as well run some additional services on it...

looks interesting but problem is only 4 gb ram. 8gb is much more usable for running proxmox or similar

There are
although AMD is painfully slower than intels

You could undervolt/underclock a ryzen cpu like 2200g

Attached: P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.jpg (500x500, 52K)

was meant for

I'd say even 8 GB would be too little to run any real workload. I don't know, I guess you could cluster them, but spending that money on a bigger server would get you more bang for the buck.
FWIW, my Proxmox host (Dell T20) is barely scraping by with 24 GB, and I don't even run that many VMs. Kinda want to build a Threadripper Proxmox monster next, and virtualize my dev setup / Windows vidya setup with GPU Passthrough.

I fuckin appreciate you

Routing, firewall, DNS, DHCP, OpenVPN, SSH. If it had ECC RAM I'd use it for torrents and file serving as well, but it doesn't, so I use another box that does.

OP posted a router box you stupid nigger

Jews have an atom that can work as a proper server or a router, it's called the fitlet 2. Made entirely in jewland

>no m.2
yikes

I use one of these as a pfsense router. I believe it has an m.sata port but only 2 sata ports so that would be limiting for a server application. I believe you can get "nas" spec versions of the board with more ports. Though at that point you might as well just get a atom board or low powered i3 or xeon setup and throw it all in an old case.

Attached: Qotom-Q330g4-Core-I3.jpg (1000x1000, 142K)

pick related, + fanless psus are fairly common. Easy.

Attached: nofan.jpg (1024x681, 307K)

i can get better specs out of any old pc that i can find on facebook marketplace for $10

Attached: seraph 0512684b0992239a0af7af2397ff57e2.jpg (500x707, 273K)

It's probably going to be very expensive.

Attached: ThinkCentre M930n Nano IoT.jpg (1440x1080, 307K)

yes but it will be 10x more power hungry and loud

>only one NIC
into the trash it goes

>hw router
>not having a opnsense VM for $0 hw costs

The i3 model comes with 2.

Attached: ThinkCentre_M90n_1_IoT_Datasheet_02.png (1100x850, 210K)

looks nice 2bh

Attached: 1533714178788.jpg (1920x1081, 179K)

But are the NICs Intel though? If they are Realtek, you might as well throw the whole box into the dumpster.
Looks cute though

>opnsense VM
I have virtualized every service in my homelab except the router (dedicated APU) and the storage (self-built FreeNAS with 6x4TB in Z2).
I don't want to kill the entire network when rebooting a VM host. And I also don't want to deal with race conditions.
Shit will be seriously on fire if you have your whole infrastructure on a single machine that fails

that i cannot deny, shit's lit.

>consumer grade network shit
>not upright

If I had a rack I'd buy rack-mountable shit.

Problem with Ryzen and fanless is the fact they throttle way earlier than Intel chips. 70 vs 90 degrees, and the ability to run hot is a big advantage.
Alternatively you can run the most silent of fans on it and have much superior cooling.

>Fanless PSU
Tend to have loud electrical noise, often a lot louder than any decent fan.

I have a couple of these waiting around. Not that small and have quiet(?) fans, but expansion slot is nice.

Attached: T610plus.jpg (812x705, 62K)

sapphiretech.com/zh-tw/commercial/amd-fs-fp5v

literally kills everything you can think of

>Realtek RTL8111G PCIe Gigabit LAN

Attached: trash_face.png (300x400, 187K)

When i bought a PC from chinks i got an engineering sample cpu.

idunnomayne, although I'm often hesitant about getting chinked, if it werks then it werks.

It's lenovo.
Judging from how hard my companies rep is shilling this, and Lenovo's history of intel usage, I'd assume it is Intel.

Lenovo puts realkek NICs in Thinkpads all the time.

>Isn't the J1900 one of those embedded Celerons that bricked themselves after a random amount of time?

I believe that was Atoms C series. The J1900 was a decent chip. The downside was it didn't come with AES-NI so didn't make for a good base if you wanted to work with encryption, so for things like routers and firewalls, it sucked. Which is why there were so many Chink boxes sold cheaply using that chip as a router/firewall. I ended up going with the PC Engines APU2C4 which used an AMD Jaguar and came with AES, which will be required for future PFSense releases.

>AES, which will be required for future PFSense releases.
this shit again. the only reason they're doing that is because they want to push people into buying their own branded hardware. Just use the OPNSense fork if you absolutely must have a web interface for your router.

You don't have to buy their hardware to run PFSense. And hardware with AES comes cheap these days. It's not some fucking conspiracy.

if it wasn't then they wouldn't require it, they'd just put a warning somewhere in the interface saying "Hey, without AES-NI this feature might have crappy performance"

Which ones? My T420 is Intel's.
And thank fuck for that because fuck having to inject drivers into ESXi

Who hurt you?

Yeah, consumer stuff, T , mainline X, and most of W, are all Intel.
The thinkcenter nanos are mostly aimed at the same demographics, same as their Tiny series.

x120e. X series also frequently had Realtek wifi.