Why do stores sell DVDs and Blu-rays? Aren't they dead technology since everyone streams...

Why do stores sell DVDs and Blu-rays? Aren't they dead technology since everyone streams? I mean if you aren't going to stream, may as well keep watching Betamax tapes? Right? There really is no difference in picture quality between netflix and a blu-ray.

Attached: d9d.png (500x533, 214K)

is that terry a davis? REAL?

Lol wtf? How have I never seen this?

Same reason people buy gold and silver.

Blurays have higher bitrates than Netflix streams. While Netflix is using the same resolutions and codecs their streams are bitstarved compared to blurays. Netflix UHD isn't as bad but how much content on Netflix is actually UHD? Not very much. It was never intended to be such but bluray is basically a luxury product for people who like better quality video or people who just like collecting physical media. Boomers still buy DVD even though the quality is much worse even than the YIFY grade Netflix trash. You can find a similar comparison with something like Spotify or Apple Music compared to services like Tidal or Qobuz that stream FLAC but cost more or even buying CDs. The quality is objectively better, you may or may not notice, but it costs more.

waste of money if you ask me. There is no objective difference. You can quote technobabble about Blue-ray being better, in the end...nobody can tell the difference.

Physical media is an e-waste nightmare.

I can tell the difference between a bitstarved video and a non bitstarved one. I don't care about collecting blurays though. I just pirate that shit. Netflix quality is youtube or yify grade, garbage video for peasants to watch on their element TVs from Wal-mart. The only good streaming service quality wise is Amazon and even they aren't seriously competing with the quality of bluray. If I watch Netflix exclusive content I will usually take the UHD rips. Anything else it's hard avoid NF, but nobody even cares to pirate shit from there besides the exclusives. Anything else it's usually available somewhere else in higher quality earlier.

Jokes on you, I torrent my movies.

You're lying if you think you can tell the difference.

It really depends on the content. If I'm watching something like stand up comedy or The Joel McHale show (which I really enjoy) the Netflix bitrates don't do anything to detract from the experience. Also consider things like animation that compress really well. Lower bitrates don't hurt it as much. But for other content it looks like a smeared pile of shit, like someone put vasoline on the camera's lens. Encoder technology has improved greatly from the past. Now instead of a blocky mess you're likely to just see noise and fine details smoothed out of the picture. It's a good thing as far as getting a watchable video out of something encoded with lower bitrates go. If that content was left in the watchability would greatly suffer. But you can't deny the fact it produces an inferior picture. Especially for anything that was shot on film. For me it defeats the purpose of having a huge high definition TV with a larger resolution than the ones that were around in my childhood to watch shit like that on it. The only reason people like you didn't notice is because you never paid any attention to it.

Why would anyone who isn't autistic even try to pick apart the picture to find imperfections. Just finding something that isn't there. If you are sitting an appropriate distance from the TV, it's identical. If you shove your face into the screen, it won't. But like I said, only autists do that.

Some shit just ain't on streaming services due to legal or licensing issues. Some shit get's pulled from streaming services for those same reasons. Either way your only hope is disc.

VHS is dead. DVD and Blu-ray is still plenty of life. VHS looks like shit on anything above 40 inch. Due to the times. In VHS's heyday you were pretty cool if you had a 32 inch set. Now 32 is like the midget size. Now it's all 50 or above. In ten years 100 inch sets will be common place.

till the disc gets scratched, rots, or fails due to hot conditions.

Which is why you make copies or rip them then store the original in a safe place

fuck you i appreciate my dvd player connected to my tv and have for years (also what if your internet dies)

Soon you won't be bothering with a tv at all. All new houses will feature a wall if you will that is the TV. It's the logical next step. Sets are getting bigger all the time. Soon they'll be the same size as a wall of your house.

If the internet is gone, it's likely that electricity and other utilities are gone too.

>I mean if you aren't going to stream, may as well keep watching Betamax tapes? Right?
AHAHA. this is the worst argument I have EVER HEARD in regard to this topic. oh my fucking god. are you fucking retarded? brain damaged? down syndrome? what an intellectual bankrupt.

You don't need to pick it apart to notice if you understand how something is supposed to look. If your TV isn't a low quality piece of junk you will be able to notice the fine details in a high resolution image. If you stand back a bit from it you can also notice it looks quite different in motion. Especially in high action type scenes. Look, I get that you're a fucking moron who is trying really hard to feel good about being too poor to own quality hardware to properly experience watching a movie on. You want to feel like you're making a great choice by watching poorly encoded streams like a good little normie. I've got great news for you user, you can! Yay Netflix! Watch your trash and enjoy it, just don't pretend like you know what you're talking about. This is a technology board not a streaming service shilling board. Make with the tech talk or shut up.

>People STILL falling for this shitty bait
You gottem, OP.

Is it really falling for shitty bait if it's giving you an excuse to rant about something you're deeply emotionally invested in? If it is bring on more bait please!