Debian is best girl

Debian Sid for desktop and Debian stable for server. Comfy, reliable, massive community behind it, just works

Attached: makimarryme.jpg (360x360, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-10-GNOME-Wayland-vs-X
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>

Attached: 1555606046910.png (775x1024, 93K)

based

>Debian Sid for desktop
That's kinda brave, haven't there been pretty serious breakages there?
I'm running Testing on my laptop, and that's close enough to unstable for me.

There might be but you can fix them quickly. Sid isn't that different from arch, it's not bleeding edge though. As long as you read what apt-listbugs says and you don't upgrade when the system is telling you it's gonna remove a ton of crap it's alright. Better to update it once a week instead of the every 6 hours like they say. When buster gets released as stable, I'm not updating Sid for two weeks or so otherwise I'll get a shit ton of new crap shitting up everything.

Her name sounds like a failed marriage.

If you're comfortable using a distro like Arch or Gentoo, there's absolutely no reason why you would consider Sid too unstable/buggy.

In my personal experience issues are rare, and its always just a thing where you just don't dist-upgrade because you're waiting on other packages to get updated.

Buster when?

debian has a horrible implementation of systemd

explain

Every implementation of NSA/SystemD is horrible
GNU/Debian has an implementation of NSA/SystemD
Ergo
GNU/Debian has a horrible implementation of NSA/SystemD

that' just sounds like a regular implementation of systemd

>thats-the-joke.png

the sysvinit compat stuff, a lot packages still ship with shell-based RC scripts instead of systemd units

>systemd
>apt
Nah.

really the only reason I've found to run anything other than stable is if you have hardware that's new enough that the LTS kernel doesn't support it well/at all.

kek

I like Debian a lot, some of their defaults could be better though. For example XFCE looks like arse out of the box on Debian (other Distros handle this better) without even a whisker menu set, and the mugshot thing installed. Then there's stuff like sudo not being installed. I don't really mind since I tweak everything to be how I like and don't mind post install configuration, but this and some other defaults would make it hard for me to recommend it to a lot of people.

Maybe September.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-10-GNOME-Wayland-vs-X

This is basically what Ubuntu tried to do (take Debian and make it preconfigured and user friendly out of the box) unfortunately it also comes with a bunch of unnecessary shit and then there's the whole amazon fiasco and other offputting stuff. It was also way buggier for me.

>Then there's stuff like sudo not being installed.
I'd call that a feature, rather than a bug. but anyway you obviously didn't read what it was telling you in the installer, it pulls in sudo and sets up the user you create as a sudoer if you leave the root password blank when it asks you for one.

I don't want to leave the root password blank though lol. I want a root password and a user sudo password. Also if I recall that was only in the expert install (I did always use it though it's a lot better, e.g it asks if you want proprietary repos or not).

Well then you can set that up yourself if you want, it's not exactly difficult to apt install sudo.

I'd argue that the sudo security model is a worse one than the traditional root account with its own password that you can either log in as or use su to get to. But if sudo's security model is what you want, then you definitely do want the actual root account to be locked out, because you've put the keys to the castle in the hands of the user account(s) with sudo privileges. Leaving the root account enabled is just another point of attack, once you've done that.

It's not difficult and I said I didn't mind configuring things myself, I was basically talking about why I wouldn't recommend Debian to newbies or normalfags.

How did Maki become the mascot for Debian?

Attached: maki19232.png (585x1040, 519K)

How's the CoC treating you?

>A shill thread a day from the trannies and gays.
Yeah.

Attached: fortnite owo.jpg (286x286, 26K)

Defaulting to Gnome Wayland is a fucking mistake and goes against everything that Debian stable represents.

>stretch

Attached: 1552872199761.jpg (166x250, 5K)