/wdg/ - Web Development General

How was your week?

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: 1520763440985.png (1280x720, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

roadmap.sh/
vuejs.org/v2/guide/
reactjs.org/docs/getting-started.html
angular.io/guide/quickstart
nodejs.org/en/docs/
github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/maniwani/issues/98.
getbootstrap.com/
css-tricks.com/snippets/css/complete-guide-grid/
css-tricks.com/snippets/css/a-guide-to-flexbox/
css-tricks.com/introduction-fr-css-unit/
refactoringui.com/book/
getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/examples/
getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/layout/grid/
github.com/spring-guides/tut-react-and-spring-data-rest.git
caniuse.com/#feat=css-grid
flutter.github.io/samples/gallery/frame.html#/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You don't need "network connections". I got my job without them. So did my brother. And I think my friends all did. They got jobs because they applied for stuff that they had skills for - simple as that.

If you think you don't have enough skills yet then okay, an internship might be a way forward. Thankfully I was hired even with only limited web dev knowledge from some university modules I did (not a full CS degree like some people have). My employer was even willing to employ me despite the fact that I had never used the language that the company was using - I just learned on the job. Which didn't take long really.

So yeah, you might find people willing to take you on even with only limited experience. But it depends - I am not from the US and maybe it is different over there. An internship would at least be productive and a good learning experience.

What framework should an absolute webdev beginner focus on?

>absolute webdev beginner
none
later on React or Vue

roadmap.sh/

depends on what are you?
>Backend
PHP - Laravel(gaining track and learning curve is low), Zend
>Frontend - Angular/React, Vue.js

Am i fucked in a junior interview if i cant for shit remember a syntax of a language? Sudo code questions about binary trees or graphs or sorting algorithms? no problem. but with real code i am fucked, i can barely remember shit like join or ParseToInt even tho i have been programming for like half a year already.

Attached: 52235214124124.jpg (300x300, 47K)

How much would you charge for an AirBnB-like website?
Thinking of giving a 30k figure, but idk

lol I'd never fucking hire you

Today I learned that you can write/read into/from a .txt file with PHP without much complication, kick ass!

I would
How many rupees do you charge?

What language

Every Language

I dont get why even syntax is considered important, everyone can google how to write a for loop in a language you want in half a second, but not everyone knows how to solve problems which is much more important

stop using autocomplete editor for a while, problem solved

>How was your week?

My current job sucks and I hate working here. Had another interview but the owner forgot to call, so it's today. Freelance client is signing a new contract with me for increased rate. My launches are sucking and not making as much as I'd hoped. I have to work on the freelance this weekend in addition to another project I'm partway through with.

Killer headache today and feel like shit so this interview will go well lol

If I were hiring, and I knew you were programming in a language that you're not too experienced in, I wouldn't hold it against you too much if you can't remember particular syntax. E.g. I'm hiring for Python and you use the join as an array method instead of Python's weird string method way of doing it. I'm going to focus more on whether you can work out a sound algorithm; a good dev will be able to learn the syntax on the job.

But if I'm hiring for a JavaScript position, and you've claimed to be experienced in web dev but don't know a lot of the syntax, I might get worried about whether you're accurately representing your experience.

You should do more practice, go through some project euler problems, do other interview prep stuff, just generally try and get more experience. Half a year isn't that long, and not remembering relatively common functions like parseInt or join makes that lack of experience more visible to the interviewer.

For junior positions your logic ability matters more than anything else.

Yeah, front-end JS frameworks are probably not necessary for an absolute beginner. But when you do come to learn one, React is probably the best from the point of view of being the most popular. Angular is also popular but its popularity is waning, and developers seem to hate it. React looks like it will be very popular for a while to come, though.

On the back-end, you should probably just learn some basic PHP and then you will hopefully be able to get a job, and then they will train you in whatever framework they happen to use.

There are of course lots of different back-end languages and frameworks - PHP (Laravel), Python (Django), Ruby (Rails), JavaScript (Express). They all have different advantages and work better for different things. So you can't really just learn one that will be applicable everywhere.

I was lucky that I got a job with only knowing some basic PHP from some university courses I had done. Then I learned a framework on the job. If you do want to learn something though, then have a look what's out there and make your own decision based on what you like, what you think will be in demand in the future, what you can see jobs for, etc. I will say that Node looks like it's getting pretty big, and Node frameworks like Express.

Good link to be quite honest famalam.

I need a free wordpress theme for a page for selling a software and it kinda should look like this
vuejs.org/v2/guide/
reactjs.org/docs/getting-started.html
angular.io/guide/quickstart
nodejs.org/en/docs/

so like a list menu on the side
pls help

Blitzing out a couple more features on Maniwani before I start work next week - got ETag support working for threads, and I'll get catalog support working soon. This means that the entire document (not just CDN'd assets) gets cached browser-side now, as the screenshot shows. Plus, the reverse proxy that sits in front of the Maniwani application server can now keep its own cache, so in an ideal setup the majority of thread/catalog requests will never contact Maniwani besides it sending a 304 back to the reverse proxy, while the proxy serves the content from its own cache.

In the grand scheme of things, this is reasonably basic performance stuff, but Maniwani was sorely lacking in this area. With this plus the other caching additions, I feel comfortable going back and working on other features like the React migration, in-browser 3D model viewing, and the sandbox described at github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/maniwani/issues/98. I'll also take another stab at doing auto-generated avatars based off of hex ID, probably drawn by the same guy who did Futatsu's mascot.

Attached: 2019-05-17-043317_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 222K)

very nice fren

have you had CP posted on your chan? Asking for a friend.

I have a ReactJS+Spring website. I don't really understand how ReactJS works and why this apparent frontend shit needs to be run on a server. I can test it out on my computer by using two different IDEs but how do I actually run this on a single server?

>I don't really understand how ReactJS works and why this apparent frontend shit needs to be run on a server.
You could have just asked a plain question like a normal person.
Why would anyone have an inclination to help you with something you already decided you despise without actually knowing how it's supposed to be used?

>something you already decided you despise
?
I meant "shit" as a colloquial "stuff" as in "this frontend stuff". I don't know enough about React to despise it.

eh ok, maybe I am just a bit jaded, because too often other people post in such a way, that it's clear they actually aren't interested in solving their issue, but just want to rant.

React doesn't need to be run on a server for it's basic use case.
If it's part of the sites JS, then you just serve static files and everything happens on the client.

If you are talking about server-side-rendering, then that's different, but as far as I am aware, that has no relation to Spring at all.

>draw individual pixels on canvas
>set canvas CSS to "width: 1000%; height: 2000%;" and disable anti-aliasing via image-rendering to keep them sharp
>all pixels are drawn 10px wide as expected
>but their height is either 18px or 19px, varying by line with no clear pattern

what the

React doesn't need a server, but it does need to be compiled to normal JS before it can run in the browser. So you sometimes have a dev-server running to compile files when modified, and to statically serve the compiled assets.

Oh, is that what npm start does?

Backend developer here, need some frontend advice.

I have a microservice application and need to find the best way to hande (or bring together) multiple UIs for different services. Basically I think I need a 'parent' UI that has the ability to load the UI of other services within that page. All the individual service UIs are built using Vue.js. I'm imagining a page with some buttons for each service that will render that service's UI on the page when clicked. Assuming that makes sense and is the best way to go about it, how do I achieve this in Vue? What should I look up to get started?

i might be wrong but try
min-height: and/or min-width:

Since it's made with Vue, can't you have the main site simply use the microservice UIs as components, that get loaded dynamically when they are needed?

if you look in the package.json file, you will see what the 'start' command runs.
You will find it under 'scripts' together with some other commands probably.

Attached: gfdsg.png (757x132, 23K)

>NO_DEV

That does make sense. Right now the UIs are stored in the same repository as their services, I'm guessing they will need to be removed and all placed into a collective 'ui' repository so that my parent page will have access to each of the UI components? I really am new to frontend dev - should I be looking up vue router?

what?

actually I am not too familiar with micro-service and how it should be structured.
I guess you want to keep them all as their own separate entity? So you have to decide if it's alright to move the UI part to the main Vue site, or if the UI should remain with each microservice.
Having it all in the same repo makes it really easy of course.
Are you using single-file-components?
If so, I don't actually know right away, how you would go about it in that case when the component remains with the service. Some way to compile components standalone, outside of your main Vue app?
Also bit complicated if you have libraries, that could normally be re-used between different components if they were all part of the same application.

i wish i could just go with html+php. working with frontend is no fun.
it feels like i'm trying to make a building by rolling stones up a hill, only to see them roll downwards as soon as i let go of them.

why is that?

it doesn't feel like i'm getting anything done.
it's like everything requires infinite tweaking.
for instance: i've spent at least 16 hours getting a shitty widget to work, meanwhile i still have 99% of the frontend to make

you could get rid of html by replacing it with react/jsx, both frontend and backend

Ok, so I have an app that works fine running locally, but as soon as I deploy it all API routes 404(both heroku and app engine). Me and two others are stumped, am I missing something dumb?

Is Ubuntu 18.4 or 19.4 better for webdev? I know 18.4 has long term support but I was just wondering if it was better for me to get 19 instead?

Get Mint instead

Are you doing things by hand? You should be using Bootstrap in this day and age, it's incredibly easy and makes basic interfaces very simple.

getbootstrap.com/

This.
Fuck Ubongo.

tl;dr spoonfeed me on that?
not the original guy

fuck fp

Attached: 1471899896330.jpg (5000x5000, 1.3M)

It's a CSS and JS framework (mostly CSS but you can add the JS elements if you want).

It gives you basic styling that looks good, so that you don't need to fuck around with your own styling.

It also gives you a grid system (12 columns) that is fully responsive, so it responds to the width of the screen. So you might have two columns in your desktop layout (8 columns and 4 columns, for example), which then goes down to just a single column layout on mobile (each column expanding to 12 - full width).

how is basic layout looks like
And what is so special about grinds? Cant you just like make a few in few min yourself?

It's not that hard to learn Grid & Flexbox to make layouts, and CSS-Tricks is a great resource:
css-tricks.com/snippets/css/complete-guide-grid/
css-tricks.com/snippets/css/a-guide-to-flexbox/
css-tricks.com/introduction-fr-css-unit/

And one book I read that really sped things up and made me not make a bee-line for Bootstrap:
refactoringui.com/book/

They've got lots of example layouts here:
getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/examples/

>And what is so special about grinds? Cant you just like make a few in few min yourself?
Why reinvent the wheel? Bootstrap's grid system is incredibly easy to use and it's got all the responsive stuff done for you (all of the different media queries you need to make sure your columns are adjusting width at different screen sizes).

See here: getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/layout/grid/

Bootstrap is very widely used because it makes it so quick and easy to make simple interfaces with good looking text, form inputs, etc.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 00.51.46.png (2560x1600, 296K)

I feel like modern web-dev is no longer about HTML but about CSS. Like, you can just generate simple html with bunch of divs and finish the rest with CSS, just occasionally tweaking the hierarchy of divs

i'm using bulma and svelte

Welcome to the scary future. And with HTML5, you can even use custom html tags instead of div's in many cases.

The grid system is useful but doesn't look as powerful as flexbox.

>Welcome to the scary future.
Why scary? I like it. I idnt like old HTML-heavy times, I feel like html is too cluttered. Separation of work to CSS was nice

show felxbox examples

bootstrap uses flexbox for the grid

Like this guy says - - Bootstrap 4's grid system uses flexbox.

how do you store and move PHP variables from one page to another? sessions?

It was supposed to be like that, now go back and learn the new framework for this month.

>It was supposed to be like that
what was?

html -> structure
css -> appearance
javascript -> weird shit that cannot be covered in html and css

Where I can download free wordpress themes? I am looking for flatsome to test if it is right for my website.

Yeah?
So why the passive-agressive
>It was supposed to be like that
You liked old HTML-heavy appraoch more?

Drink bleach and shoot yourself in the mouth, you fucking failed abortion.

>new Ip
>autism

Attached: 1528852716002.png (380x467, 18K)

any tips on how to start freelancing?
I'm almost god tier in angular now and learned a couple of frameworks for the back-end (firebase and asp.net) but I don't know how to find someone willing to give work to a newbie and I don't know how to compete with the entire population of India bidding on every opportunity.

Should I just continue wasting time on pet projects?

Attached: man-3026570_1280.png (853x1280, 139K)

get a wagie?

If I used a pirated font in a portfolio project am I gonna get buttfucked

no, I really mean it, learn the hottest new framework of the month or you are going to get behind. This is the world we chose

Why not get a job with a company? This is what the majority of people do. As someone who has done a tiny bit of "freelancing" as a teenager / young adult, and who then went to get a job at a company, I think the latter is really very valuable. You will learn so much working within a company. And of course it takes away all of the worry of having to get a client base etc. And teams of people, working together, can achieve much more than just individuals. And if you are "almost god tier" at Angular then I am sure you will get a job pretty quickly.

You could always still freelance in the future if you wanted. Personally I always figured I might consider that when I'm old and experienced, when it will be no effort for me at all to cover all the aspects of web development, because I will know everything by then. And also by that time I will probably have connections, so getting clients will be easier. And I will have a whole career's worth of stuff to show off to potential clients. But in my youth, I personally thinking working in a company is way better. More sociable, more eye-opening, more varied, way easier, and more fun.

That's just my two cents.

>"almost god tier"
different user,but do you really have to be this good to get a junior position?

Depends on where you work for. I doubt most places want someone that good, but maybe if you want a Big N/FAANG gig.

>have ideas for learning/side projects that aren't todo apps
>can't settle on one
>never do any of them

Attached: 3df62adc3b28cc69ea9099a435646caa.jpg (236x282, 22K)

I struggle with this as well. It helps to develop systems that solve real world problems. e.g. I created a small arduino with oled shield that tells me a countdown of days left for each of my bins because I found myself having to search each week.

Why havent you taken the RUST pill for apis?

>Easy as shit to use a framework like Rocket
>Insanely fast
>Modern

Attached: 124214142.png (1009x286, 13K)

Firebase is good or just another serverless shitholes ?

Attached: 1530639056635.png (923x713, 16K)

Looks like the official spring-react guide doesn't work anymore. Anyone know how to get it working?

github.com/spring-guides/tut-react-and-spring-data-rest.git

I suspect it's some basic linkage problem with the javascript folder.

I have a job although a shitty one where I do the same work everyday for 8 hours and never get any added value. most decent companies where I live wouldn't take seriously anyone with less than 3 years of experience.

I actually despise NoSQL but Firebase is good enough for having real-time and offline database capabilities out of the box.

I use it for hosting static html sites over Google Cloud Platform stuff. Reason: Google Cloud Platform site is so clusterfucked that after browsing it for 2 hours I still did not understand where to order a VPS, where to order a Database or where to order a static hosting. And Jesus fucking Christ, the pricing table they provide is totally uncomprehensible.

who develops Rust? mozarella?

I might as well go suck some homeless dude off or use Go or php. It comes down to the same thing.

>he pricing table they provide is totally uncomprehensible.
same with aws, which means it will be flexible pricing (and probably more than vultr or some fixed price provider)

Why use Rust when yo have c#?
>modern
>familiar
>no disadvantages of dynamically typed shit like jabbascropt

No, absolutely not, which is why if he is "almost god tier" (from his own assessment) then he should find getting a job very very easy.

Perhaps try and find a new job with a company that uses Angular.

>most decent companies where I live wouldn't take seriously anyone with less than 3 years of experience
Then you are being far too restrictive in what you consider a "decent company". There will always be companies looking for junior developers. My first job as a junior developer did not require any work experience; if every developer job did then no one would ever be able to start their career.

noob here, so when I start a new project I basicaly have to decide b/w using css grid, flexbox, or bootstrap right? I am currently learning web development and just seem to be going through css grid and flexbox tutorials, should I just pick one? I want to start learning something else now like sass or js

bootstrap uses flex box, wouldn't use css grid, because it's probably unsupported on may browsers

caniuse.com/#feat=css-grid
is this good enough?

Soon you fuckers need to unlearn your stupid frameworks.

This is the future for the web:
Flutter. Yes Flutter everywhere. Your fucking desktop, linux, osx and windows.
On Android and iOS.

And it will take over the web for webapps. Here is an example:
flutter.github.io/samples/gallery/frame.html#/

Deal with it you shitty Angular, VueJS and ReactJS lozers.

The heck is that trash?

If I were you I would use Bootstrap because that is what many companies use.

Bootstrap is also written in Sass so you can download the original Sass files and customise them if you want, e.g. changing colours and things like that.

I dunno, it's totally up to you man. If you plan on being some freelance web developer who makes stuff from scratch, then even in that circumstance, Bootstrap would make your life easier. You can obviously customise it a lot. If you're trying to get a job, though, then I really don't think you will need to know things like flexbox up front - just get a job and you can learn that shit on the job. As long as you know basic CSS then you're fine. Every company is going to have different technologies, whether they use Sass, or Less, and maybe they'll use Bootstrap, or maybe they'll use a different framework like Foundation.

Bootstrap is by far the most widely-used front-end framework though, and is very easy to learn, and can be customised extensively, which is especially easy when you're using the source Sass files.

But yeah, just get a job as a junior developer. Knowing CSS will be enough to get a job. And then you can learn whatever that company happens to use while on the job.

Trash that makes you homeless soon. Just saying.

>text is not selectable
it's probably some sort of built-in drm right? right?

>polymer
>angular
>angular dart
>flutter
what's wrong with google's frontend devs?

I though Blazor/WebAssembly was the death of javascript frameworks (only for .net brainlets who can't handle js)

tell me what makes flutter any different than those other shitty frameworks

Attached: Captura de tela de 2019-05-18 09-28-41.png (821x178, 16K)

Great advice man thank you very much.
In a few months when I have an even better feel of CSS than I do now, my photography skills which I have had for years, and a beginner knowledge (3months worth) of JavaScript and web deployment/c-panel ability, I am going to try to get some basic-bitch job for some small or new or even a growing company who needs a new Website and social media presence. Meh here goes nothing.

It's gonna use webassembly in the near future. Currently it's from dart -> JS transcompiling.

Nice thing is. Build your GUI once. And it works on Desktop(Linux, OSX, Windows)
It works on mobile (Android, iOS)
It works in the browser.

Only thing close to this is QTQuick. It's also build like almost the same way.
Flutter is nothing else like other GUI front ends. It's one of the MOST true platform GUI systems out there just like QTquick.

But the QTquick demo to open that in a browser is huge. And isn't as smooth as Flutter. And flutter isn't even optimized for a long shot on the browser. Just tech demo works already pretty neat.

QTquick you guys all know from very well known companies like Tesla, and probably almost all embedded GUI's are made with it for example your coffee machine.
Flutter can also take over those...

You have back end languages that are truly multiplatform. But never had any GUI system that was.