ITT: programs that are better than they have any right to be

ITT: programs that are better than they have any right to be.

Attached: Syncthing.png (512x512, 41K)

youtube-dl
mpv

oh hey im using it

syncthing has saved my ass so many fucking times and it takes five minutes to set up anywhere.

telegram

7zip

Plex

>Easy to setup on any OS.

>Apps across every device.

>Since it's a local network streaming doesn't affect limited bandwidth situations (i.e data caps)

>Has the absolute best UI/Environment of any streaming service (Netflix,Hulu,prime,etc) with a large amount of customization and personalization.

>Free

>anyone guessing your unique ID number for the share can immediately start stealing your shit because there's no authentication

>free
>server is not fee software
D R O P P E D

Plex is dogshit. I've tried three separate times but because it's so fucking autistic about how you arrange your files my entire library is worthless.
the UI is also shit.
It also isn't fucking free if you want to do anything useful with it.

>i tell lies on the Internet please trust me

>Plex is dogshit. I've tried three separate times but because it's so fucking autistic about how you arrange your files my entire library is worthless.

Google how to format your files. It's literally just movie(year).

>the UI is also shit.

Compared to what? It's the better than Netflix and Hulu's design

>It also isn't fucking free if you want to do anything useful with it.

Yes it's free. How is it not useful?

Sway+wlroots

Works when youtube-dl doesn’t.

Attached: 34C227C4-E83A-491E-B099-E756AD0200BF.png (1280x1468, 109K)

gonna have to second the recognition being absolute shit. everything's named in the correct format; and it won't pick it up. and when it doesn't recognize something, it just doesn't show up. using jellyfin because then i can actually see my files

ffmpeg
tesseract
hashcat

Syncthing needs to be more widely known.

Fuck yeah Syncthing

Lying fuck. Syncthing does have authentication, and you have to explicitly authorize any new device.

Should be working. You might be doing something wrong or it isn't listed. Are you using an external ntfs drive? There's your problem.

Emacs

It does almost everything I could ever hope to do
Need a wm? Gotcha
Need miraculous ways to edit your files? Will do
Need to write a function that doesn't already exist? No problem
Need a music player? Ez
Need to replace all applications except for a browser and telegram? You got it

People weren't meming when they said Emacs OS

You can replace telegram though.

Even though the client is written in electron I still like it for some weird reason. But then again, I guess everyone has some odd thing in their environment that completely goes against their style.

Also I forgot to mention mpv, still based af.

The software you're recommending is such a trash fire that it expects you to rename your entire fucking movie library for no reason at all, and you don't see a problem?
You're either stupid or a paid shill. In either case, get the fuck off my board and look into a mirror until the existential dread hits you.

telegram is written on c++.

Got a better alternative? You can just paste your movie library in "other videos" if it's too hard for you.

Really? Well this is one of those times I like being wrong!

Attached: 9ebec385587c038690eeb39d11b1e4b1093d7303.jpg (659x480, 101K)

emby, kodi, quite a few. as someone who has tried plex extensively its pretty shit.
>databases only half work
>is retardedly autistic with sorting, making shows not appear
>not open source
>most of the good features are behind a $120 price tag

When it works it works fine, but when it doesn't work (which is about half the time) you need to really work on it and babysit it until it does work. Like seriously, its not fucking hard to show all media files in the directory and let me manually add shit if the bots don't detect it.

The UI and UX could still use some work. Opening a webpage on two devices to link them together gets annoying.

>Emby

Too bad it doesn't work on i386 CPUs.

>Kodi

Great for local media and you have to format it as well.

Plex is just a way to have a Netflix like experience without Netflix. It works on everything and anything and isn't hard to setup. It seems like they've fixed the formatting since I've last used it.

Syncthing is awesome. Donate now.

>telegram

Attached: 69831040_p0.png (1088x978, 591K)