Linux Distro

Hey guys, I have a question. Which linux distro is the best to work on? ( I want to use it for programming) I can't decide....

Attached: download.png (225x225, 5K)

doesn't matter, stop thinking about it
if you're new to Linux just install Ubuntu or Fedora and get to work

This and end of /thread.

Attached: yolandiq1s.jpg (800x788, 97K)

any distro works well. just use what suits you

Naah I am not new at Linux, I just want to know what you guys think about it.

Agreed. It's settled then.

Attached: 1339550542650.png (125x125, 3K)

Well I am running Debian on my Virtualbox, but I am not really happy how it looks and works.. My next step is to install a distro on my disk. :)

Gentoo

if you're not happy with how a DE looks then just customize it and if you're not comfortable with the DE at all then use something else. that's the great thing about linux

Manjaro

Attached: wut.webm (382x368, 194K)

Never thought about it thanks for the tip!

literally any minimal install + openbox or bspwm

Manjaro is a good option maybe I should install Manjaro

either xfce or cinnamon edition

Does it slow your operating system?

ignore and go for i3 for maximum comfiness

What is the difference between them?

window managers like openbox and bspwm are inherently faster than desktop environments for the sole fact that they're not bundled with a shit load of bloat.

you're forgetting the fact that they involve manually setting up if you want a panel or anything else. user is just coming to linux so recommending something like those is not a good idea. just stick to DE's until you're more familiar with how everything works

Thanks, for explaining

haha you spelled debian wrong

Okay I will.

i went from windows to manjaro + awesome and then switched to i3 after a day. Getting used to it didn't take long. You can right click on your desktop in awesome too and it has floating mode so it's close to a de.

Clear Linux, it's fast and comfy as fuck

True it looks amazing. I just looked up, and maybe this is what I want.

this

I have never heard from that kind... I should look up for it. Thanks for suggesting!

I recommend you to stay away from it

Why is that?

don't bother, it's some obscure shit made by Intel that this fag keeps shilling for god knows what reason

I take that back, install it. Ignore me if I tell you not to

Have you been using linux for any length of time now (are you initiated)? if so, then look at your particular distro's repositories for the software you need, if it has it then consider the release model and cycle, and whether you want to be on the bleeding edge, or err on the safe side choosing a stable but slightly older software set. etc...
If you're new then it is vital to choose a distro that works out of the box for most hardware out there, you don't want to be figuring out how to install your nic's drivers on your own, it should have a vast community too for when you need hand holding. For most people that is another spelling for Ubuntu. I'll be honest, it is a fine distro that just happens to promote some really weird UI choices and is adamant on pushing e-stores where they don't belong, but don't mind me, for a baby duckling that is a fine first safe shallow water.
I personally recommend Debian, I have been using it for most of the past decade, it is comfy.

HAHAH alright :)

Spotted the AMD shill.

they're all the same anyway

I'm just joking, it's a good distro. Give it a try :)

seriously this. the only real difference is the package manager and that has been said portage and pkg are the best package managers

I am almost using it a year now. The most of the time, I use it for homework. And on a virtualbox it is not comfy as I wanted to be. That is the main reason why I wanted to install linux on my disk. And the Jow Forums community helped me out with it. I will look up Debain again, on the other hand I really like the manjaro i3.

A year is already good enough, you might do a bit of distro hopping for the coming period, so whatever you do, have your home folder setup in its own partition for maximum flexibility, so you can keep all your dotfiles and configuration folders even if you choose to install a new distro.
PS: i3 is as red pilled as you can get when it comes to window managers.

You can install both a full DE and a WM and have your DM choose which one to launch. This is why I recommend manually installing Arch for new Linux users. It forces you to learn about your options for a ton of basic user-facing stuff without having to worry about optimal flags for compiling your kernel.

Alright thanks for the tip.

What I can do : installing first on my Virtualbox and if I like it I can install it on my disk :)

Most of the learning process for Arch is in the installation anyway. For actual usage, it couldn't be easier.

Try an Enterprise Distro like openSUSE, Fedora, or ((((((Ubuntu)))))))

While wms take more time than DEs to set up but, they consume less resources and tend to be more customizable.
Can't speak about stability, as I use xfce which is one, if not the most stable DE (and the second-third lightest).

GNOME Sux, especially on Debian
Get KDE or something lole

Parrot home is decent but cant go wrong with fedora or ubuntu. Really comes down to what you want to be staring at on a daily basis and what your future plans are

Then just choose whatever is convenient for you.

For me it is Linux Mint or manjaro with i3wm

I bought a little Raspberry Pi 3b+ and installed the Raspbian OS full install (it came with some programming apps, pre-booted desktop, etc)
I did a clean LITE version before too - its more fun, but depends if you have time too.

I like using it to code on, it feels neat and nifty. Absolutely no complaints.

Attached: 2258-01.jpg (970x728, 249K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: gnuclear.png (601x469, 217K)

What if OP doesn't want GNU bloat?

You faggots are talking to a literal pajeet what in the world are you doing

Attached: 1503889776522.jpg (176x137, 7K)

Same fucking question everytime! Just use either one. It's all the same shit!

unironically this

manjaro

gentoo