Hey Jow Forums. I’ve been planning on building a pc ever since my shitty old laptop broke...

hey Jow Forums. I’ve been planning on building a pc ever since my shitty old laptop broke, but since I’m young and don’t have a job, I can’t afford a 9900k and two 2080tis. I’ve saved up $320 dollars and am thinking of buying a used Optiplex 7010 that is $150 on ebay, and a 450w psu + rx 570 (~$150 combined) to upgrade the 7010. Is this a good budget option or is there something better? btw, the optiplex comes with an i5 3470, 16gb ram, 2tb hdd, and windows preinstalled. also, will everything fit if i put it into a different case?

Attached: 5C43DA17-2904-42E9-B39E-641374BBE200.jpg (640x438, 191K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z23iYDf0UDQ
pcpartpicker.com/list/Xfmk29
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Facebook marketplace or craigslist is probably better

dells are picky about new cases, I used the guts of a precision t1650 for my miner, and it needs the stock case fan (proprietary connector on a ~4" cable), the intake temp sensor, and the usb port/audio jack module installed to the motherboard or it throws errors on boot. Also you could probably get it cheaper from a local university's surplus sale or something. Also other get into these surplus sales and then flip computers exactly like the pic you posted so the market's saturated, and they go for about $60 on craigslist around me. I actually work at a uni and I chat up the surplus guy and could get that thing for $10 minus a hdd. Look for a cheaper one if you decide to go this route.

*other people

I'm pretty sure optiplexes don't use ATX power supplies, so just make sure to get one that does have some cables you can use for the graphics card.
Also, don't get a small form factor one, the graphics card won't fit in there.

Don't forget a 4-pin PSU adapter.
These things were never meant to be upgraded, so there's only 4 lines coming out of the PSU to the mobo, and those 4 pins power everything else. SATA power actually comes out from a header on the mobo.

>two 2080tis
If you had a 5 million dollar budget, very few people would ever recommend you get 2 2080tis user. They're're only useful in a very, very few games, and the SLI process to do it is a major pain in the ass.'
You'd be much better off buying the gold version of the 9000, what is it, 9990? I have a 9940 and it's great.

don't buy office prebuilts
they are almost always full of proprietary dogshit that either requires expensive adapters to function with third party components or there is simply no way to make it work with third marty components, i made the mistake of buying a office prebuilt after everybody told me it was the best option at my budget, and now i am pissed that i can't move the motherboard out of the ugly ass dell case because the motherboard uses proprietary front panel headers, and it will cost more than i paid for the machine to replace the motherboard, case, and cpu cooler. don't buy office prebuilts, build it yourself

Seconding this as well. University / Corporate Surplus will get you modern-ish hardware for good prices.

The only other places I have seen are Computer Recycling shops that inflate the price because old fogies who can't tell XP from 10 go in there and buy shit at inflated prices.

I dunno about the upgrades but I'm shitpsoting from an HP EliteDesk I got on ebay for $150 lol. Got a 750Ti which I only really needed for the dvi-dl for muh monitor.

what are you trying to play?

are you trying to do something like this
youtube.com/watch?v=z23iYDf0UDQ

also around July there are lots of sales. Blackfriday and 4th of July tend to have price drops.

AMD is also releasing new processors soon and they will likely drop prices even more.

DON'T get the SFF model, it is not compatible with regular pc hardware like power supplies. Other than that I have 2 and they're a good deal, you can swap out a lot of stuff on the cheap. Max 32gb memory and proprietary fan cables, power supply is very weak and needs to be replaced fyi. I did this:
>max memory
>two SSD drives
>$99 nvidia card for four displays
>optical nic
>new power supply
No issues so far.

I was in a similar situation like you. I wanted to buy an Optiplex (betwen 2nd and 4th gen i5) as base system, then make a few upgrades. But then I saw some videos and forum posts taalking about what said.

Days before I pull the trigger on an Optiplex, I was lucky to find a PC with an i5 2500K, 6GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD for less (

Attached: 1474604386518.jpg (200x252, 10K)

I own 3 optiplexes. You can also get them in the standard PC size form factor. They are a great value. Go for it.

pic related

Attached: optiplex_farm.jpg (2285x1714, 1.07M)

For this man comprehensive reading is the real Jew

>and now i am pissed that i can't move the motherboard out of the ugly ass dell case because the motherboard uses proprietary front panel headers
If your budget was tight enough to buy an old enterprise computer, why waste it on a new case when you could be buying internal upgrades? Just tuck it in a corner if you’re afraid that your wife’s son will make fun of you for not having an ebin gayman case with colorful lights.

>For this man comprehensive reading is the real Jew
Don't take your point. The dude is say: :I can't afford the things I'd really like to buy such as.." And I'm telling him the things he wants-- in this instance 2, 2080tis-- are not worth it even if he had the money for it. That's all.

I have a case and RAM and genuinely just give you but since everyone here assume everyone does thing with bad motives in mind not sure how I could get it to you. I'm the idiot who made too many shekels in bitcoin and now I have 5 cases and no use for all of them...

>DON'T get the SFF model, it is not compatible with regular pc hardware like power supplies.
To be fair, Optiplex XE2 power supplies fit fine in SFF cases and provide sufficient power overhead for the low profile cards that will actually fit in them. But yeah, if you’re trying to make a higher end sleeper build, it’s full size case or bust.

proof amdfags are poor niggers

Just get a small tower Optiplex because SFF video cards are super expensive, don't need to change power supplies because they are GOLD certified, I think they are made by Fortron.
Better yet, get a 1050ti with it, you won't have to worry about 6 pins

Attached: 1441033281256.jpg (1024x768, 106K)

>SATA power actually comes out from a header on the mobo.
Nope, just opened a 790 which I have a stack of. SATA power comes out of PSU

Don't really know shit about how Xeon compares to i5 but I'd buy a Thinkstation e32, seems more modular with more periphereal, get a new PSU and buy a used GPU

what is that blue dog thing in the corner?

Attached: QUESTIONASUKA.png (600x802, 418K)

If your going to stick with the low profile system, the 1050ti is going to be your best option. If not, the towers that have the 365 watt power supply have a 6 pin gpu power tap, and they run an RX580 8gb just fine.

Are you gonna buy it for gaming? And how much longer can you wait, because prices for older amd stuff will likely drop again in about a month. I think this PC would be a good placeholder and still give you an upgrade path on the Am4 socket.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Xfmk29

It might wind up being even cheaper in about a month, and I'd expect the prices of the 570/580 to fall again once Navi is announced.

Get a 9020 instead, nearly same price, better specs.

I have one of these that i se for a media center, they're half height expansion cards and the PSU is like, 100w. YOu're not putting an RX570 in that.

Attached: .jpg (300x202, 10K)