Are these a meme? Does anyone have one? What cool projects have you done with it?

Are these a meme? Does anyone have one? What cool projects have you done with it?

Attached: raspberry-pi-3.png (1034x748, 222K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i_r3z1jYHAc
youtu.be/GUFR3fcOhlU?t=18
github.com/janrinze
youtube.com/watch?v=Ub0RmqhgD0k
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=hardkernel-odroid-n2&num=2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes, yes, nothing

yes,yes,none.

you can do lots of cool stuff with it. I have been meaning to turn my coffee maker into a smart coffee maker and be able to toggle it to brew from terminal

Ok, things you can do with a Raspberry Pi:
Hifi audio server for bitperfect playback, without any mechanical noise from hard disk spins or fans. Look into Volumio for a prepackaged distro, or 24bit96.com for how to build it yourself from scratch.
Turn it into a docker server to store files and generally learn how both docker and networking work, always a useful skill.
Turn it into a Tor exit node and/or a bridge for Tor connections to both learn how Tor works and secure yourself to a higher degree.
Use it as an IRC bot, or any kind of bot for that matter.
Turn it into a seedbox to always be seeding torrents for private trackers.
Plug in a camera and hide it somewhere for security (or to spy on roasties)
Hide it in a public place and scan for handshakes on wifi networks.
Use it as a general playground for new shit like distros (arch, gentoo) or possible alterations to distros you want to test run before applying to a more important device, if you lack a laptop for that already.

Absolutely, original and Zero W, first is a retropie station for my younger brother (doesn't run emus over genesis but he's cool with that) and the latter is a personal server

Agreed with all but the last, I thought virtual machines were a thing?

Yes and yes. I've got retropie on it now trying to get moonlight to work.

two words: RiscOS

Sketchy torrent condom.

>Turn it into a Tor exit node

Gets you v&. Don't do this unless you're in a commie shithole.

Is it actually feasible to use a Raspi as a desktop? I'd been considering using one with Ubuntu Mate

that would be cool user

all good ideas, thanks. particularly interested in the music server idea and maybe the exit node. will running an exit node attract any unwanted attention?

kinda tempted to just put retropie on it...

Not unless you like typing a lot.

VPN?

It depends what you want. If you want le meme cool computer on a chip, you'd buy it, use it for a week, then shelf it.

Personally, I'm using it to learn coding on. I'm going to be interfacing it with a Intel d2000 microcontroller project board and 16x2 LCD panel to do some shit.

As a hobbyist element, its OK.
Some issues:

Can't connect to xfinitywifi
takes some work to connect to Netflix - it's not an out-of-the box roku.
Processing power is comparable to a Kyocera cell phone I owned in 2012. Yea.

If you don't have a need, its useless garbage. Buy a $5 pi zero W instead if you have the cables for it. If you don't have the cables, its like an extra $25 worth of cables to get that running.

I made an SSH, VNC, FTP server
I made an LED blink
I hooked up a button to an LED
I wrote some python and C++
I got bored and now it's sitting there

how hard would it be to use it to emulate old vidya consoles if I have no experience with soldering and hardware mod in general? there are probably some guides on how to do it online but I don't want to melt the chip if I ever buy one. I want to make it for a friend who's shown interest in those btw

Attached: 153294829583.jpg (1280x720, 95K)

i'm confused. why would you need to solder or do any hardware mods? just install retropie it should take like 15 min max

just buy some fucking usb controllers and install an emulator, there you go now you can save every game ever made for that console on a big microSD or something

so to be clear about using it as a VPN server, you still need to subscribe to a VPN service right? so what is the RBP actually doing in this case? how is it different from just subscribing to NordVPN and having them route my traffic through their servers

>Are these a meme?
No, unless
-you have unrealistic expectations (like those people who wanted to use 800MHz ARM boards to watch fullhd hi10 anime with softsubs and lossless audio)
-you are a plain retard like those "I want to learn programming (in general) and I bought a raspi for it)
>Does anyone have one?
I had a first gen raspi, sold it later
Currently have a Cubieboard
>What cool projects have you done with it?
using it currently as pihole + ssh reachable from the internet. I might add other network services for it.

My snake has a huge enclosure, so I use mine to monitor temperatures and humidity at two places, then output it to an LCD screen every few seconds. It's pretty neat.

If I were more confident working around mains and shit, I'd also have it turn my humidity machine on and off when needed.

I thought I had seen soldering was required to build those somewhere, I'm not really sure where I got this idea from, thinking now. hopefully I'll get to make a retro gaming machine without spending much. thanks for the insight btw

> Can't connect to xfinitywifi
wat. all you need to connect to xfinitywifi is either the ability to sign in to a captive portal or spoof your mac. pi can do both.

> takes some work to connect to Netflix - it's not an out-of-the box roku.
first of all.. what?? how? via web? kodi netflix support has always been sketchy.

> Processing power is comparable to a Kyocera cell phone I owned in 2012. Yea.

Your 2012 cell phone was not even remotely close to a 1.4Ghz quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 with 1GB of RAM capable of running desktop Linux.

I'm pretty technically minded and I've tried quite a few different ways and looked at multiple online sources, but for whatever reason, the native wifi on the PiB3+ doesn't want to. It just brings me to the xfinity webpage instead of the captive logon page to enter a user/pass.
If anyone has any ideas, please share.
I already tried to spoof my chromium, that didn't work.

No, yes, a seedbox + kodi

I have a few Rpi and Le Potato.
I use the Rpi as a robot car over wifi.
Le Potato + Kodi for 4k 60fps

Thinking about replacing Thinkpad W510 I use as a file server with Renegade Pro.

Ditto. Using just a B+ for e-mail and printing documents. It's much faster than linux.

Attached: ro515_netw.jpg (1280x1024, 275K)

I've spent the last 4 years building my own OS so I decided to see how portable my code really is. I also built my own C compiler, borrowing some ideas and design decisions from the OpenUH C compiler. Previously used GCC but my compiler works a bit faster and it's small as fuck. I wrote a program in ARM assembly using the RISC OS docs that bootstraps the compiler. That's what I've been using my RPi 3 for.

yes, yes, lots of cool things

github.com/mame82/P4wnP1_aloa

I have two.
- One is a Pi-Hole + MPD Server in the living room
- The other is a Pi-Hole + MPD Server in the "exercise" room.

Before I bought a proper server, one also ran a Nextcloud server and the other was a Kodi server (both worked okay for those uses)

youtube.com/watch?v=i_r3z1jYHAc

Just install steamlink.

Can this work as a PC replacement? Like if your PC breaks can this be used while you wait for a new one?

That depends entirely on yourself and how much you can put up with.

Theoretically yes.

Yes. They work fine for Libre Office, Chromium, music/video playback, and other simple tasks. The biggest limitation is their 1GB of RAM, which fills up fast.

see You can get some basic shit done on it like writing, code editing, emails, etc if your needs are normie tier.
>video
Let's not get too carried away.

No, you become your own VPN host. It lets you remote into your network. It offers privacy when away from home. Not while at home.

100% meme

I hooked up the pins to a 64x64 LED panel. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

youtu.be/GUFR3fcOhlU?t=18

Attached: dfgfdg.jpg (1280x720, 209K)

They're great for doing little technology related things that you don't want to throw a shit load if money at.
>Security monitor (just by adding a cheap web cam over USB)
>Cheap (but slow) NAS
>Minecraft server
>Programming
After you play around with a bit, you find that actual computers are far superior and more suited for specialized tasks than the tiny bit of hardware on the rPi can do.

Speaking if single board OCs, has anyone used an oDroid? I was looking at the XU4

ahhh i see. that seems cool as hell and useful desu

github.com/janrinze

Well you are on Jow Forums, so i suspect you are a retard.
For a retard lv a Arduino is more than enough.
So yes it's a meme.

It'll also get you banned from Jow Forums

>1GB of RAM
This is something the creator/ceo said they're addressing with the Pi 4 next year. They're moving to 2-4GB of RAM and to a 28nm process.

This, I use my RPi for this and it works very well. Once I even managed to play games in my desktop from work

d/a Why? What for?

Yes but nice they exist. I have 3 different versions. Emulation is the longest lasting use. Let me tell you atari to N64 is absolutely fantastic. Goldeneye with nothing but klobbs again is a huge blast at parties. Mix with Perfect dark oh man. Just the pi, 2 cables and 4 controllers. This is 2019, I brought this last month to a party by request.

just to clarify this user - it does upto 4th gen near perfectly, but can also do some 5th gen. it will play most ps1 games with some slow down (but still very playable in general) at stock clock. if you slightly overclock, you will get very good ps1 emulation. n64 is a no go. other '5th gen' consoles will emulate fairly well (jag, sega cd\32x, saturn is playable). you can also play ds on it near perfectly

I use my mine to play emulators on my TV. Nothing else

Connect it to an Ethernet socket somewhere that has a good internet connection (like a college campus), hide it and use it as a free proxy/seedbox/shady webserver.

I setup an OctoPi server to control my 3d printer.

No.
Yes, but not me.
That would be telling. ;)

Friend has one set up in his lab. He built reactors which run photolysis experiments, and one Pi runs aorund 10 reactors.

tried to build a VR headset using one
It didn't go as well as planned
would have been pretty cool if it had worked because I had some serious GPIO plans for it

i use my pi to grow indoor herbs. it it reads environmental data like temperature air pressure and water level from my esp32 sensor nodes via ble and controls light waterlevel and ventilation. at the moment i am planing adding support for regulating the ph-value of the water.
My little indoor herb garden runs basically without my interference and i see it as nearly passive income.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ub0RmqhgD0k

this is all you need for a pihole

Attached: images(25).jpg (554x554, 24K)

but you need two network adapters for a pihole right?

weebsite

no, yes, OpenHAB server

Mine is:
Access point for other room in apartment
Private git server
Media device
Scriptbot for crawlers
Private website host

why this stupid thing cannot have slot for ram so it can be actually usable

I use my old first gen pi as a pihole for blocking ads.
It works pretty good.

I got one of those chromecast cables which supplies both power and ethernet to the "data" microusb

I made mine a gateway for my router so that every device connects through my vpn to get American netflix. Etc.

I have a Pi 2 and it works fine as a seedbox + simple NAS. It's not the fastest obviously but it was cheap and easy to set up.

I want to kill myself every time I interact with one but on the bright side they're cheap sometimes.

Things to watch out for
>shit microusb cables causing too much vdroop = throttling (pi3 issue)
>shit power supplies = throttling (pi3)
>CPU throttling at 70C (pi3)
>I'm not joking, if you put any load on a pi3 you'll think nvidia fermi was just a joke because the board will become hot enough to burn your hands
>by the way, some proprietary firmware in the GPU handles all the throttling, you OS might not even realize it, you can only see it happen if you run vcgencmd
>microsd cards, yeah good fucking luck I just make the filesystem read only
>absolutely garbage filesystem/networking performance on any pi available
>no AES-NI have fun kneecapping your networking even more
>lots of other phantom problems I can't think of
>dongles and adapters lol

here's the scoop
>All of the $20-$30 pi's are fucking abortions that kneecap themselves in one way or another, buy/pick up/steal a junk computer for the same price.
>$5 zero w's are absolute garbage too but they have an incredible price/value ratio
>...if you have a microcenter near you. if not they're $15 good luck user
>you can also power the zero w with any power source, I even managed to power it with my phone
>I know what you're fucking thinking, you want to buy a board to run pihole just edit some dnsmasq entries on your router dipshit why would you need a separate device for this
>if you have a decent router it probably can run linux, has good networking, can attach storage, and it already runs 24/7...

I'm ignorant; why does this warrant a visit from my ABCs?

p.s I use my boards for cameras they work okay

These are supposed to be teaching aids and the basis for educational projects.
People complain when their kit ultralight can't go trans-sonic.

No, just one.
Pihole is a DNS server, not a gateway.

I used mine as my primary desktop a few summers back when my other computers were throwing off too much heat and noise and my AC was busted.

It sucked.

Dumb question. How are latency and bandwidth throughput on these things? Is gaming or other latency-intensive stuff (like live podcasting or similar) even possible with a Pi in the middle?
Are there Pis with full Gigabit and two RJ45 plugs?

Yes, yes, "buy and forget about my raspberry pi" project

For hobby OS dev should I get one of these or just work on a normal x86 machine ?

Yes,yes, I playes some super mario for 1 hour and then got bored. Never touched the thing in 2 years

Get a Odroid N2.
DDR4, seperate USB/Rj45 bus, optical audio via GPIO, UART for console output, analog video via 3.5mm, built in clock headers, built in battery headers, optional eMMC, USB 3.0, 8MB onboard flash, boot switch selector, quadcore, ARM64, official android support and supports Magisk root, at least 6x faster, massive passively cooled heatsink, USB OTG emulation

Bifrost is going to be mainlined in 5.2-5.3

When someone traces someone's activity on Tor it will come back to the exit node you are running. Unless you are prepared to deal with your ISP, local police department, and other inquiries let someone else deal with it. It's not illegal but its going to make your life shitty having to prove otherwise.

N2 is a quarter to almost half as fast for about the same price.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=hardkernel-odroid-n2&num=2

Shows rpi, Xu4, and N2 stacked up.

>I know nothing about Tor nodes or the law
Everyone, say it with me:
Beyond a reasonable doubt.

What do you use your Odroid N2 for?

S oy shit

>no ethernet port
>adapters cost more than the zer
into the trash it goes
get an orangepi zero instead

I use one with OSMC since I have a shitty old 1080p TV that is not smart and can't play any files, not even mp4.
So it's a life saver.

No. Yes . A blind helper.

>Are there Pis with full Gigabit and two RJ45 plugs?
Not sure if there are any right now but if they make an upgraded version of the OrangePi R1 in the future, maybe.

Made into a fire detector that had a web UI and would send you text messages if a fire was detected for a school project.

using 2. 1 24/7 is devel server/desktop display (touchscreen) that = pi 3+ running mate
other is for music
pcs are horrible tin boxes
pcs are 90s era (microsoft)
nothing advanced, ever

I used mine as a file server in my home

i used it as desktop for year
checked out raspibian on pi3b+ the other day
youtube streaming worked

they work, they are fine as desktop
i ran one as desktop for a year
was using the livestreamer to get live feeds of news off youtube. they work in overlays onto your desktop to framebuffer. was beautiful, smooth and high definition. didn't really have to use it as desktop, but could. now I have pi3 as desktop, type on laptop, use synergy to drift mouse cursor across, type on it. synergy allows you to set up multiple screens in any position, have massive desktop if you want. these $25 boards reduce clutter greatly

You used the word "desktop" seven times in your post.

SSD with swap makes it *somewhat* usable.
Without swap RAM is a bit of an issue. SSD is also a lot faster than an SD card. If you don't want to use an SSD you should look up SD card benchmarks because 4k random read/write can differ a lot between brands. And it's pretty important.

Either way I'd advice you to get something more powerful and preferably with eMMC or better.
An Odroid Xu4 is 49 dollars currently and has optional eMMC storage. Simply offers much more bang for a little extra buck.

Yes, Yes, mine just sits there running pihole

TOR server wit webcam

No, not me, my friend has a mediacenter thing running on it. It works well.

You could use it for gaming too. Running emulators or Steam streaming games from desktop.

It can be used for quite a lot of things but the chances are it's nothing of use to you.