Recommend me a distro that's good for a craptop and that isn't super behind on current package releases...

Recommend me a distro that's good for a craptop and that isn't super behind on current package releases. I need something that won't fuck me over when I'm in the middle of nowhere with shit internet speeds via tethered cellphone internet.
It would be nice if I can swap out the WM for i3.

Attached: laptop-inspiron-17-5758-polaris-mag-pdp-module-31.jpg (358x258, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

install gentoo

Latest Ubuntu net install. Install i3. Use PPAs for packages you absolutely need latest version for

Manjaro, best out-of-the-Box i3

this but ubuntu minimal. keeps you from having to use the bloated stock version.

Using it for over 2 months now, It is my first linux experience and I am having a blast

I would assume ubuntu to be worse for craptops.

How crap are we talking here?

No reason why it would be. A net install has only the bare essentials. Ubuntu has a minimal install option also. Install xubuntu, check minimal install, and just swap out xfce for i3

2 core cpu
amd a9-9400 radeon r5
2.4 GHz max
AMD R5 Stoney
8 GB DDR4 ram
HDD

I got it for free with credit card rewards.
It's a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 seris.

Oh yeah Ubuntu's fine for that. All distros (except SUSE) perform about the same unless you're on super super old hardware, like pentium 2 tier. (For that, unironically install Gentoo)

>gentoo
>wanting to compile shit on a craptop
Made me think.

So Ubuntu Net?

Where is Ubuntu Net? I'm not finding anything besides a fundraising site.

minimal ubuntu is no different than arch/debian/whatever other distro leaves you with a quick booting linux kernel that supports everything and leaves you to install everything exactly as you want.

it's just down to whatever package manager you like best and which project's goals align with your own needs.

Macbook Air Retina

Attached: 1541618821817.jpg (680x413, 39K)

Mint XFCE. Stop the tiling meme.

this but Xubuntu

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

distcc my nigga

dragonflyBSD, lightweight and it's far better than freeBSD

Closing the thread since I chose to go with minimal ubuntu.

nevermind, can't

xubuntu