Are >macs really better than pcs when it comes to audio production?

are >macs really better than pcs when it comes to audio production?

Attached: 30AF2E46-F053-48B7-9281-B2CBFB61ACE0.jpg (1280x533, 133K)

Do you mean in terms of 4 essential software freedoms?
No, not at all.

Attached: 1339550542736.jpg (800x533, 138K)

no

GNU > BSD (this includes Macs) > Windows

No, but the software is, and is usually exclusive.

the only macos exclusive is logic pro x which is now garage band pro
as abandoned as final cut pro x

Yes, osx has a prebaked asio equivalent that has much lower latency and the ability to use multiple audio interfaces from different manufacturers at the same time. There's also system options for midi sync and sampling rates. There's also compatibility with older FireWire based interfaces, but that doesn't really matter now that thunderbolt is a thing.

Core Audio is a lot better than the Windows audio subsystems and Linux doesn't even come close
That being said, if you have a sound card with ASIO support on Windows, it doesn't matter
Linux doesn't have the software. Bitwig comes close though

Logic Pro is about as good as it gets when it comes to DAWs. I would be willing to learn Ableton or Pro Tools if PC recording was better. Doesn’t sound like it is, though. CoreAudio is quite good.

I would honestly prefer a PC for everything other than music production, but that’s my main focus currently.

no. usb 2 fixed the interface bandwidth issue and interfaces with decent asio drivers are cheap and plentiful. coreaudio is miles ahead of windows mmr/directsound but that's not really a concern these days.

that said, if you're in a pinch and only have a laptop and no interface, windows laptops can be a bit of a gamble. mbps are safe buys if you're not tech savvy.

This used to be true 20 years ago.
Nowdays it all depends on the equipment you mount underneath, but the kind of people that wear ironic moustache, neutral glasses and shops at starbucks would want you to believe otherwise because they sunk 2 grand into a shitty laptop and need to justify it with their "creativity"

Attached: 1549995187470.jpg (312x445, 28K)

I guess I should also mention that osx has support for both vst and aax, and it can handle midi and audio data from an iPad/iPhone over usb, but those are meme feature.

Bitwig is amazing, but no vsts without wine makes it unusable for me on Linux.

I pretty much refuse to buy a MBP in the Year of our Lord 2019. Touch bar is fucking retarded. I’d consider one if it didn’t come with that bullshit. I’m either getting an iMac or building a PC.

Fucking stupid touch bars.

i'd only recommend mbps to a very small subset of people:
>travel frequently and need to produce/edit on the move; and
>for whatever reason they can't bring along a bus powered interface

if you're planning to work mostly from home, building a desktop is a no brainer. much better value for money. much more cpu headroom.

I’d be lying if I said I had the knowledge/expertise to build a PC with the right equipment underneath. I’m more than willing to put the time and effort in to do so, though. I just want to make sure this is all worth my time.

Most musicians I know prefer recording with Macs. This could be strictly coincidental/falling for epic apple marketing, but I doubt it. Surely there must be a reason, right? ...right?

not even the software, no one uses logicpro crap for audio prod, even audition is better than that shit and there are way better software solution than audition

I mean, I do move around quite a bit, but my music setup really isn’t. I’m not exactly recording on the go very often with my old macbook.

>no one uses logic pro crap for audio production
lol, okay

pro tools is definitely a step above when it comes to mixing/mastering but don’t act like logic pro isn’t one of the top DAWs overall

It probably is. Osx is slightly superior, but most rap and pop music is produced on windows laptops running FL studio or ableton.

Max/MSP
Metasynth (absolute must for electronic music of any kind)
I believe theres also some synth plugins that aren't available on windows from Moog.

Linux has Reaper which is just fine for most purposes

Build a regular high end pc, slap a good sound card, the rest is well isolated cables, pedalboards and synths, shit you need if you're a musician anywway. Many big names in the industry use windows, Zimmer, deadmau5 and afrojack on the top of my head.
Unless you want to toy around with FL, if that's the case just do whatever the fuck you want it doesn't make any difference

>8 bears
>8/8
>8x2 is 8

I want a Mac Pro/Mini that is actually modular.

The original pick had 2 bears and was a 2/2

>This could be strictly coincidental/falling for epic apple marketing
it's not so much marketing as it's just residual perceptions from when it used to be more true.

you hear just as many people complain about macs these days as vouch for them

build a decent spec pc (most people will be just fine with an i5 or equivalent even), and buy a decent audio interface.

>Max/MSP
has been on windows for years

>Metasynth (absolute must for electronic music of any kind)
don't be ridiculous

>I believe theres also some synth plugins that aren't available on windows from Moog.
the u-he stuff does moog style stuff better than the licensed arturia stuff, which is also on windows.

Max is on windows

Guess we have a very different idea of electronic music. You can make EDM and dubstep on FL stock plugins, but if you want to do anything more complex or slightly experimental, not having Metasynth is a huge handicap

My current audio interface is absolute shit (2i4, lol i know tfu tfu, i put my money into my amp/guitar/pedals first, sue me).

I’m just worried about throwing a bunch of money at something that may or may not work well. Having to learn a new DAW is scary enough after years of Logic Pro, ya know?

I know someone that currently records on a Mac Mini. I thought that was kinda silly, but what do I know lol

Most people that uses MBP use it as a convenient just wurks way to have a synth/sampler/looper on the go for the live shows. You don't need it just for recording.

No

If you do real shit you use Audacity/Pure Data/Renoise on GENTOO

Or you're just a fag thinking you're good using Lowgic, Anuston and Fruity Cocks?

epic, here’s your (You)

thank (You)

don't get snooty with me, eliane. what is it that you want to do with metasynth that you can't do elsewhere?

if you're still talking about learning your daw, your interface is perfectly good for your needs.

(You)’re welcome!

nah
people are biased because they have to pay lots of money for it
its like
>i just paid 10k for this shit
>this better be worth it

I know my way around Logic Pro as it’s the DAW I use. I don’t have much experience with pretty much any other though, as you know, once again, I work with Logic Pro

i misread, i apologise.
transition into a new DAW before spending your money if that's the case. not much changes b/w them. it'll take you a couple of days to adjust to a new workflow and a few weeks to learn enough shortcuts to get back up to speed.

just migrate an existing track over to a new daw.

I'm not snooty, I just listen to different music. I completely blanked out on EDM/house/etc existing because I never listened to it. If you're making more experimental stuff (or straight up experimental), Metasynth just offers you more options by design, so it makes sense to use it. I know people like clipping. have always swore by it because its just way more flexible than usual synth plugins and you can make it output really fucked up stuff easily.

and when i say migrate, i mean don't just bounce tracks from logic. bring in the raw recordings / midi / samples and just replicate the effects chains etc in the new daw. take the creative part out of it, just treat is a purely mechanical exercise.

eh, fair enough. i imagine you can probably piece together most metasynth functionality via other means, but if you like how it's set up that's all good. i'll just say that you're still making assumptions about your listening habits relative to mine, but i'll just leave it at that. ez.

Sounds simple enough. I mean, my choice of DAW shouldn’t be the main reason why I choose a Mac or PC, right?

So, uh, let’s say I decide to go the “build a PC” route. What exactly should I be looking for? I’m not the most well-versed when it comes to all of this shit.

go over to /pcbg/ and post your budget and specify your needs. mention that you've already got an interface.

o-okay, thanks a bunch. I’m still on the fence about this whole thing, but I definitely want to explore my options.

it was at one point in history and it kind of stuck with normalfags as they cant learn new techshit

this is vaguely related so ill post this here
i bought the focusrite scarlet solo as a first interface and used the asio4all driver to make the input my interface and output my laptop speakers/headphones since i dont have a adapter
i noticed that when i plugged in my guitar i had a lot of latency even at max sample rate and lowest buffer size
my question is if i get speakers that actually work with the interface and use the official asio driver will it decrease the latency?
if not then what are some actually decent interfaces?

Attached: rainbone.png (225x225, 5K)

why don't you just spend $2 on a headphone adapter and find out for sure?

my headphone cable stopped working
im getting a new one but in the mean time i wanted to ask here

i haven't used a solo, but i had an 8i6 in the past and it was fine running the native asio drivers. i'd expect the solo to be fine, but google around. if latency is an issue google should be flooded with threads about it.

Both suck and will fuck you in the ass. Just get a PC so you can swap out the hard disks easier when you run out of space

>sound cards
>isolated cables
lol

Not even Apple uses Logic Poo X.

Attached: 1529167422595.jpg (644x1049, 215K)

Ubuntu Studio >>> macOS

if ur playing audio back in real time in a daw at max sample rate it's usually gonna be fucky. I have a 2i2 and it is the same way, there should be a direct monitor function that u can use to monitor it though. other than that I've never had a problem with it, better drivers than anything else I've used

Absolutely no fucking one seriously uses Macs in professional audio. No one that uses Ableton or VDJ/equivelant make actual money, either. Pro Tools is industry standard, some producers like Cubase or Reason, but these are typically genre specific for whatever reason.

Cubase on Windows is really popular lately especially in metal

>Audacity
pretty decent software, so capable
>Pure Data
nice for experimental shit, and learn how some audio things work, totally not for professional environments/tasks
>Renoise
a fucking meme software only suitable for hobo rappers.
Linux has a fucking confusing audio interface, you gotta use a specific low latency kernels, interfaces have driver issues.
Only a person who want to spend hours and hours of productive audio work trying to solve ahitty problemas would use GNU+Linux as his main OS for audio production.
Windows is second best option right after MacOS almost any developer interested on high audio performance chooses mac as their primary target and windows as the default second choice. Windows has great support too, but their MIDI protocols are kind of messy tho. If you use Ableton live on windows you gotta install ASIO drivers to reduce latency, on a mac you dont need that, shit work out of the box.

>Absolutely no fucking one seriously uses Macs in professional audio
what a fucking liar, what the fuck, where do you live? under a fucking rock? oof course mac is used a lot, it´s ok to be a windows fanboy, shit works too, but you are a fucking liar.

>are >macs really better than pcs when it comes to audio production?
not at all.

Attached: 1549065598062.gif (498x278, 1.06M)

This. CoreAudio is so fucking low latency it’s insane.

>>Renoise
>a fucking meme software only suitable for hobo rappers.
imagine knowing this little about computer software while pretending they know things? fucking adorable, faggot. you would barely know how to use fl studio.

yeah but why not

Pro Tools runs on Macs. Here’s your (You) though

Lots of metal oriented studios use Windows now. Asio drivers for thunderbolt interfaces, and beast hardware that no Mac can come close

it’s so damn good. If anything keeps me in the cult of apple, it’ll be that

>no mac can come close

Nah.

Attached: o6nmp1yapck21.jpg (800x800, 27K)

Doesn’t matter when you have audio drivers for real interfaces

FL Studio runs on Macs

hell no

thanks for the valuable input

>audio production
probably, mac's are known for being good at useless bullshit that has no effect on other people

>buh, buh buh muh art
fuck off back to whatever shitty college liberal arts degree program you came from and enjoy the everlasting poverty and debt you'll be in

Attached: 1558349561565.jpg (750x534, 250K)

how dare i enjoy things am i right or what folk’s,

What about for publishing? Do Macs still reign supreme in the publishing industry? I remember that being a Mac preserve a dozen years ago, have things changed?

nobody uses macshit, not even apple

Attached: 1554134027599.jpg (1023x800, 116K)

Not anymore. Not since like 2012/2014.

What exactly makes a PC good for music production then?

>how dare i enjoy things
only idiots enjoy things newfag

fuck ruining fun, stop enjoying it, newfag

good comeback buddy

Guys, I run windows 8/devuan but come on now. Too many people are opening their mouth on a subject they know nothing about. OSX is still better for music, granted it isn't far and away like it used to be.

>mfw they renamed os x to macos with 10.14.4

Attached: 1544949621769.jpg (2312x2184, 604K)

Generally speaking, yes.
MacOS comes with a low latency driver by default, which means you don't have to get a separate soundcard.
Not only that, but the driver is multiclient by default. To achieve the same on Windows you'd have to buy something like an expensive-ish RME soundcard, because the cheap ones don't support multiclient ASIO.
Also the way MIDI devices connect is nicer, you can connect them while the DAW is already running.

Now, if you don't care about that stuff, Windows is just as good or even better.
But for a lot of people those are nice things that make the whole experience more pleasant.

ProTools has been losing market for the past half decade, the cost and Apple's shitty hardware is driving studios away, especially smaller ones. Ableton has been explosive in growth, it's been oddly very popular for Hip Hop producers like Timbaland who has done albums for a lot of big artists with it.

Didn't mean to say Pro Tools at the start there, meant Logic Pro

>but these are typically genre specific for whatever reason.

Because of plugins. There are a lot of plugins that are oriented toward heavy rock and metal that are made for Cubase. Ableton has a lot of rap/hiphop/soul genre oriented plugins too.

I don't understand this, isn't OS X just shorthand for Mac OS 10 already?

After Mac OS 9.2.2 came Mac OS X 10.0. In short OS X, in xtra short osx. Now, with 10.12 they changed the label from Mac OS X 10.12 to macOS 10.12. Internally they changed it from OS X to macOS with the release of the exact version 10.14.4.

tl;dr gay shit I don't want to haev to bother with tbqh

Attached: Built_for_Mac_OS_X_badge.jpg (101x102, 8K)

I'm just going to call it Mac OS X 10.10 10 OS X so everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Yes. However OS X was changed to MacOS in 2016 with 10.12, not 10.14.4 like he said.

My guess is branding reasons, 10.12 launched with the new MacOS name 7 days after iOS 10 was released, maybe they didn't want OS X and iOS 10, far too similar.

I don't know anymore what to call it. I don't want to give up tradition and think differently all of the sudden, but I also don't want to scare away the latest generation of computer newfags

What DAW should I use? I just want to have low latency for my live guitar playing, and the ability to add a bunch of VSTs to mangle the sound because I'm too broke to buy pedals

Attached: cute.gif (800x450, 2.59M)

Go fuck yourself, nigger.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 10.37.27.png (810x444, 108K)

Attached: 2019-05-21_04-39-15.png (383x528, 41K)

That's the renaming of the Base System within the OS. In terms of all branding, advertising, etc the name MacOS was adopted with Sierra

VSTs are basically universal and you're not producing professional music for record labels so you can honestly just go with almost anything. Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton, Cubase, Reason, Reaper

I've used all except Logic Pro. Pro Tools is by far the most professional but Ableton and Reaper are very easy to use.

Another darwinpill: They rewrote OS X with 10.9 because everything happens in memory and the whole memory subsystem was rewritten in 10.9.