/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

!!! GUIX 1.0.1 is released gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/ !!!

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: guix-girl.png (814x576, 257K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html
gnu.org/music/markushaist-free-software-song.ogg
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DVB-T
linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/EzCap_DVB_T_Stick
youtube.com/watch?v=FhwmT0G5EwM
youtube.com/watch?v=jYGDUpr1uYs
youtube.com/watch?v=Ov6b-H_rH2Y
github.com/gentoomen
github.com/ison5002/guix-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hi my Gentoo is broken, if I wanted to start a fresh install but reinstall all of the same packages how would I do that? Is there a simplifies list of installed packages I can find somewhere?

Are libreboot and coreboot only usable on ancient thinkpads?
Is there such a thing as "libre UEFI" (even if it's still in development)?

can anyone answer >

How do I change keyboard layout in guix

the newest thinkpad that is librebootable is an x220, i don't know what's the age limit to coreboot but i know that it's possible on the newer ones like the t420

Yes, your "world" file. I haven't used gentoo in years though so I can't remember where it is, but it's literally just a list of package names that you've manually specified to install (not including their dependencies)

Didn't you notice my answer?
big ones: Qtractor, Ardour, MusE, Rosegarden, LMMS, ...
there's also experimental/unusual stuff: Non-Timeline/Non-Sequencer, Protrekkr, Radium, Seq24, KeyKit etc.

What even is Guix?

shit thanks, i didn't notice because i thought that the thread was closed down when i refreshed and seen the new thread thing, i'm a retard

The wiki says it's /var/lib/portage/world
Thanks dude

It's a next-generation operating system developed by GNU. You can read more here - ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html
Ctrl+F "keyboard-layout"
Looks like the 1st one is the only important one.
The other 2 are just if you want to change it in GRUB and/or a graphical login manager if you use one

that's all right, buddy

install gentoo

I accidentally put my private key on the remote server (/etc/dropbear/root_key), and my public key in ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub on the local machine.
The authentication works but I feel like it's supposed to be done the other way around.
Can I just exchange the keys location to correct this?

Attached: anime-confused-gif-9.gif (500x281, 722K)

mpv --config=no --quiet --vo=tct --lavfi-complex='[aid1]asplit[ao][a1];[a1]avectorscope=r=25:m=lissajous_xy:bc=200:gc=100:rc=75:bf=5:gf=3:rf=1:zoom=2[vo]' gnu.org/music/markushaist-free-software-song.ogg

What kind of sorcery is this?

ffmpeg filter magic, basically. ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html and ofc mpv's tct filter. If you remove --vo=tct part, you should get a normal video window.

>mfw Grub is telling me that this GPT partition label contains no Bios boot partition embedding isn't possible
>Grub can only be installed using blocklists
I feel retarded Anons I really don't know what I'm doing here or where to go from here.

Attached: Glowing_Eye_Wojak_0.png (740x900, 927K)

I get the following error:
Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console

I'm not quite sure what this means or how to fix it

>tfw I think I finally have all of the proprietary blobs I need to have my camera work after compiling android this time

Attached: 1503622344231.gif (200x234, 2.85M)

oops, KeyKit shouldn't be there since it has a Non-Exclusive License

Are there any other styles than this oval looking thing?
Like maybe vertical bars?

Does anyone know how to get dvb-t dongles to work?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DVB-T
linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/EzCap_DVB_T_Stick
Both drivers are loaded as said in the first link, and I also tried all firmwares from the second one. Still doesn't work with w_scan or tvheadend. Seems to find the signal but not the channels, w_scan outputs signal ok and then " Info: no data from PAT after 2 seconds"
The dongle is working on windows 7, so the problem is neither the signal nor the hardware.
The device is recognized and dmesg says it's successfully initialized and connected.
I'm trying this on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 4.19.38-sunxi64

Just started playing around with it, try this one for a basic wave: --lavfi-complex='[aid1]asplit[ao][a1];[a1]showwaves=mode=cline:colors=white:rate=25[vo]'

How is acme supposed to be any good at all when it's so heavily reliant on the mouse?

Attached: Screen shot 2013-03-09 at 12.01.54 AM.png (1280x778, 108K)

Nice. (I changed "white" to "gray" to get the horizontal lines to go away on a dark terminal theme)
Also I wonder if it's possible to get the colors to be more organized, like progressing from red to yellow to green, etc. in a more logical order. Right now it looks like they're just random or something

Attached: screen.png (960x540, 13K)

Actually nevermind about the gray. I think the lines went away because I changed "half-blocks" to "plain". I don't know how to get rid of them with half-blocks.

youtube.com/watch?v=FhwmT0G5EwM
youtube.com/watch?v=jYGDUpr1uYs
youtube.com/watch?v=Ov6b-H_rH2Y
You are welcome to try out Radium, the experimental Linux tracker/music editor.

Does anyone know what this guy is using for his status bar, is it just a i3-gaps config or something else. Also what is the best way to get dmenu to show up in the middle of the screen.

Attached: 1557812180257.png (1600x900, 1.68M)

looks like polybar

Oh shit, it looks totally different depending on the terminal. In urxvt it looks like the screenshot, but in st it's just black and white and looks more clear

Hello, friends. I've tried several distros over the last week and not a single one have properly done their shut down/reboot/sleep/etc operations properly. Now this isn't the reason why i've been distro-hopping but maybe it helps find the answer.

I'm using a razer blade gayming laptop. I'd switch to a thinkpad but I have no reason to sell this for half of what it's worth. Any ideas why booting seems to be the only thing linux is doing right (power-wise) on my laptop?

Attached: 2875A2C6-D1B1-4524-A1F5-EFD597A3B14D.jpg (1063x1063, 186K)

I use mouse all the time, not everyone's cool haxor constantly typing on the keyboard without looking at it

did you configure it at all? Did you tweak power options?

I've installed tlp but that's about it. No editing of config files, that's for sure.

So this past semester, I was having trouble with some dependencies on my senior project. I'm on Ubuntu btw. My professor volunteered to help me, but he was a bit annoyed because he wasn't familiar with the package manager. He was telling me that for his research, he only uses centos and fedora, and via RPM he could see exactly what files each package installed (and where? I don't remember if he said that or not). Is there a way to do that in apt/dpkg?
Also is it possible to install a new package manager like rpm on Ubuntu or any other distro, or is that shit kinda hard-coded into the distro?

Isn't it just gentoo/arch tier in terms of autism/hardcoreness, except GNU ?

>Isn't it just gentoo/arch tier in terms of autism/hardcoreness
No. It's not really hardcore, you miss its point. In fact it can be easy. Guix simply has an altogether different architecture, like NixOS but based on a general purpose high-level programming language, hence "Guix" (Guile + Nix).

>don't use bash, use sh
>this is not posix, stop using it
>this is not portable, i.e. it does not work on someone's mac
What is this autism and why do people care about it?

Attached: 1558395928286.png (850x939, 1.28M)

best DE coming through

Attached: Ubuntu_16.04_Desktop.png (1920x1080, 671K)

but can you install it on other distros? or is it a restricted corporate desktop

Having standards makes sense.
My question is this though: When's the last time those standards were updated? When's the last time the council of neckbeards was summoned to rethink these standards?

>but can you install it on other distros?
Technically yes, but since it relies on some patched Gnome stuff it will turn your system into a bit of a mess.

Need help installing applications with flatpak ? Started using pic rel and have no idea what im doing, I need to install c++ and ruby dependencies for gosu, and im not sure how or even what im missing

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-21 09-51-12.png (733x541, 53K)

clear linux? more like gay linux lmao

>What is this autism
Fundamentalism

this is how you scare people away

How do I permanently change from LXDE/Openbox to LXQt/Openbox without breaking everything?

Oh I guess that's not bad. I was expecting some time in the 90's

What should I call the non-free Guix repo?
I'm almost leaning toward Guix-Gentoomen because of how silly it sounds

Ok i think i misunderstood the idea of flatpak and that its not the aplication manager but just another library. And that swupd is the apt equivalent for clearlinux...

Is cloverOS just a meme or is it legitimately good? I am a noob and just want something that will push me out of my comfort zone more than Ubuntu. Or should I just continue with Ubuntu for longer?

pls help

Also how do I add it to the official gentooman repositories?
github.com/gentoomen
Do I have to request access from someone?

Redpill me on Void. Should I make the switch from Arch? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Welp, I updated and now I can't write anything into any of my samba shares. I managed to change the owner to my user, but I still get permission denied errors when I actually change anything.
I tried chmod -R 777 on the mountpoint, but that just got hung up (or maybe it would take a while due to the sheer number of files I have).
Here's what the permissions look like, and here's my /etc/fstab entry.
Does anyone know what I'm now suddenly doing wrong?
//10.0.0.9/(sharename) /media/nas2 cifs noperm,user,user=root,pass=(password),file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

the noperm, uid and gid options were added after this started happening.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-20 20-09-53.png (500x492, 29K)

CloverOS is compromised.

Recently switched over to i3, having difficultly playing games though (namely tf2). I'm not quite sure what the problem is but the position of the mouse is way off to where it should actually be on the screen. So for instance, to press the quit bottom on the top right corner of the screen, the cursor needs to be in the middle of the top of the screen, if that makes sense. It's also not just a linear off set, but seems to scale in displacement the further down you go, so I can't even just try to get into a game because putting the cursor to the bottom of the screen only manages to reach around half way down the 'actual' screen where you can click buttons. What's up here?

is there a reason to buy a powerful PC to have Linux running on it?

Does surf support user scripts?

compiling shit, watching 4k videos, playing games (a lot easier these days), running multiple VM's for a Windows box with GPU/PCI passthrough (a hassle but very possible) or for virtual networking for home labs (sysadmin/hacker training shit)
It depends what you wanna do. If you don't need anything particularly CPU intensive (no gaming, no rendering, no VM's etc) then you can still buy something with multiple monitors and plenty of RAM to generally just have a nice development/browing station and then just a quad core with a basic GPU or whatever. If you just need something *specifically* for gaming, or a workstation for rendering of some kind, and setting up window VM's with a dedicated GPU isn't worth it for your case, then I guess Linux wouldn't make sense. Every other case though, yea sure.

yeah, those are good points, hadn't thought of simulation myself. thanks user!

So I just tried (x)ubuntu after being a arch user for a while. I thought everything would just werk but holy shit first reboot after updates: touchpad stops working, I reboot and now the touchpad works but my keyboard and external mouse don't work.

what the fuck is going on? I even tried xubuntu in the past and didn't get this level of piece of shitery

So Guix is essentially *another* Linux distro with a glorified package manager or an all new operating system?

Attached: momo_high_iq.jpg (1400x1920, 1.46M)

Alright, a Guix repository for Jow Forums is up here: github.com/ison5002/guix-g

I decided to just make the repo for now, and I can figure out how to add it to gentoomen later (or re-create it, whatever)

P.S. Someone needs to make more Suika propaganda

Attached: GuixSuikaDistribution.png (1212x1374, 1005K)

More like Fedora Silverblue with Jew brackets and autism. Also a different init system I guess.

any alternatives to fbterm that is under active development? fbterm's development has stopped for almost 10 years
>le its finished

Oh, and it seems that although I can amount the share and browse the files, I can't seem to open any of the files. This is just fantastic.

$ echo 'x x x x' | sed "s/x/$((RANDOM%10))/g"'
Gives me example:
3 3 3 3
What I want example:
1 9 3 4
How can I do this without knowing how many x I have and without running sed n times? Do I really need to loop over every character?

It's actually a GNU distro.

WHY DOES MY THREE-FINGER MIDDLE CLICK FOR TOUCHPAD RANDOMLY STOP WORKING UNDER LIBINPUT

Attached: 1527295198361.jpg (350x524, 9K)

wtf, honestly I'm stumped.

I know the initial answer to your question is because it expands the random value BEFORE doing sed, so it replaces it with a 3 in the command then runs sed s/x/3/g
But, if you escape the $ it then prints out 4 strings like "$((RANDOM%10))" which you should then be able to echo, and since it now appears 4 times it should replace it 4 times with a new random number. But it doesn't, it still does the same random number 4 times.

Bash is weird sometimes.

its at the level of debian, arch, redhat
it started from scratch

ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

Does it actually "stop working" or does it just occasionally miss clicks?
If it's the later you can make finer adjustments to the pressure and timings using "xinput"

Guix is NOT another Linux distro in quite a few ways. First thing you'll notice is that GUIX stores all packages in their own folders under /gnu/store. There's no /usr or /lib64 so if you want to read the manual in /usr/share/doc you can't because it's not there.

The init system is it's own GNU-developed thing, not openrc or systemd or anything else you may be familiar with.

Of course, it does have the Linux kernel and Xorg and Xfce as the desktop and you can use ungoogled-chromium or their Firefox brand Icecat. So it's basically like using any other distribution in that regard.

I wouldn't call it an all new operating system but it's not just another distribution either. In simple terms.. if you are familiar with Debian you'll have no problem using Ubuntu and you won't have a hard time with CentOS or Fedora either. But you will have to read the GUIX manual and learn it because it's vastly different. Also.. can't say I am sold on the "define everything" because that's supposedly so fucking simple. guess what, I can make menuconfig and configure my kernel and make and install in a tenth of the time some GUIX "expert" needs to write some pages long kernel "definition" the GUIX way.

It works fine for a while, then it stops.

>I can make menuconfig and configure my kernel and make and install in a tenth of the time some GUIX "expert" needs to write some pages long kernel "definition" the GUIX way.
Impressive.
Now do it a second time and make it so I can use that build on any other machine and get BIT-FOR-BIT identical binaries. Can you do that? Guix can.

Or at least, the tap-to-click three finger stops working, it still works if I actually press down the pad but that's annoying.

Hi frens!

Stay clean.

Attached: freedo.png (260x280, 23K)

eval echo $(printf 'x x x x' | sed "s/x/\$((RANDOM%10))/g")

Also I don't know where you're getting the "long definition" idea from.
Guix packages are some of the most simple I've ever seen in any package manager.

Not to mention this whole conversation is literally just scratching the tip of the iceberg with what it can do.
Can your package manager install a system package while simultaneously rewriting dependencies not only of that package but also in the dependencies of dependencies?
Or rewrite version strings, or source URL's?

Can your package manager do atomic upgrades and rollbacks on the fly?
Can your package manager create temporary environments like what you do with python virtual environments, except with entire system states?

Can you "challenge" binary builds in your distributions repository to verify that they haven't been tampered with?
Can it produce self-contained tarballs that you can give to anyone (even people who don't have guix) and they can run it? And sandbox those builds if you want?

Guix can do all that. And I wouldn't even bet that's the end of the story. They're adding new features and finding new niches all the time.
It is truly a fucking autists wet dream, and it solves basically every out-standing problem with package management and dynamic linking we have, in an extremely elegant way that should put flatpacks, snaps, docker (yes docker), and appimages to tears.

I want a command that works for any filename so I can script it.

I will try this. Thanks a lot.

ah, eval
so that's the secret sauce

I'm a winfag that wants to change to Linux, and i'm attracted to Debian, is it good? Or should I use Mint?

Attached: Cat Biters.jpg (743x800, 108K)

Android guy here from yesterday, back with good news. I was able to get all of the proprietary blobs that I need and now I have video, camera and wifi and probably everything else.

Now I want to strip Android down as much as possible and hopefully remove Java and make my phone more linux-like.

Debian, in my experience, has old packages. I would recommend Ubuntu over Debian, unless you don't need any recent packages.

I'm going to attempt to libreboot my x200, I have everything I need but my SOIC 8 clip. The guide I see doing it with a rpi 3 has the guy SSHing in to do everything? Can I just do it directly from the pi desktop?

use ubuntu
when you get a grip and want to experiment use the others

mint uses the cynammon desktop enviroment, literally slower than gnome unbelievable, its a meme distro

debian is god tier but it updates packages every two years; using flatpak it becomes tolerable but for a newbie its better to figure out what is a flatpak in ubuntu

Ubuntu 18.04 is the best distro for new users imo!

brainlet here. what are packages? programs?
non recent packages does that mean no new software
or does it mean no newly updated software

>Debian, in my experience, has old packages.
Is this still true if you use the "testing" repos? Does Debian "testing" result in a useable distro for noobs?

Packages are anything that you'd install (programs, libraries, drivers, etc.)
Non recent means older version of software
Once a release of Debian ships you don't get new versions of software but you get security updates to that software

Now is the worst time to use testing because it is frozen and once Debian 10 is released and the freeze is lifted it's going to be a clusterfuck of updates and possible breakages for a few weeks
You CAN install testing and make sure your sources.list tracks Buster, tho.

Yes, in modern linux most users install their programs using "package managers". This is like installing a free programs through an app store if you will... The nice thing is the package manager can update programs for you and help you add/remove programs.

I haven't used debian in over 10 years probably now. Was just sharing my experience with it. FWIW I was trying to set up nginx with php-fpm and Debian at the time didn't have php-fpm in it's package manager. I was trying to deploy some shitty php website.

>you don't get new versions of software
You do get new versions of some applications. Firefox, for example, and I assume other browsers as well. Firefox in Debian is maintained by a Mozilla employee.

Currently I have not updated Windows for several years, so the slow update in Debian does not bother me, but I guess I'll use Ubuntu first. Thanks.

believe me
you will eventually understand why unupdated packages become a burden and why debian is awesome but terrible at the same time

dont worry tho, ubuntu team does it for you