FX 8350

> FX 8350
> Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
> Stock clocks
> Tried it with two different aftermarket coolers, both are supposed to be more than enough

Why THE FUCK does this cpu what seems like randomly overheat?

I play league, program, whatever one day and nothing happens

Then the next day I browse some shit through Firefox and BOOM SHUTDOWN IT GOT TO 90°C

After I let it cool down it operates at like 40-50°C on idle and lets me do shit for another couple of days

The thing is that I can't replicate the overheating

It happens when doing the most basic things or when I do resource heavy stuff, like gaming or whatnot

I am broke as fuck and there is no way for me to diagnose where the fucking issue is.. Some say "the mainboard is not made for this CPU" and others say "the cpu is defect"

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x300, 18K)

post picture of board

what fans were you using? what speed were they going at?

Can't diagnose without cooler model.
It actually takes quite a bit to cool off 125watts stock. It has VRM heatsinks so it should be designed to handle it fine, just make sure you got airflow over them too.

My ryzen OCed pulls 131watts according to hwmonitor and it just hits 80C with this thing strapped to it fans going full 2000 rpm.

Attached: P1200940[1].jpg (800x525, 102K)

i use an 8320 and i just underclocked it tbhon
during winter my temps are 20 degrees constantly no matter what im doing, but now it's summer so it's 50 on idle, air cooling doesn't work well when it's this hot... i want watercooling next time i build pc.

>fx8350

Damn, a seven years old cpu. You’re two gens behind, bucko.

also what were temps for everything (like a speccy)

you forgot to post the scrollable png image of newest CPU official page and all their fatures.

some of us save money for other things
i haven't upgraded my pc since i built mine 5 years ago with used parts and sales mostly (im with the 8320).

Did you forget to use a thermal paste?

fx8370 here,
normal working temps for me is 50-60 C
never seen it higher than 80 C
and it happens only when i play games like wow

check if your cooler pad is touching full cpu surface, had it fucked somehow once and it touched about 40% only so it would overheat sometimes and work on higher temps

Try removing the sticker first, OP.

Attached: cpusticker.jpg (3264x2448, 670K)

I have had mine for probably 5 years.
Never had an issue with it.
It's just you.

LMAOOO

calm down nvidiot, nvidiots crying all time, all days

cute

OP here, was away for a while

My first cooler I tried: Scythe Shuriken (or something)
My 2nd cooler: Arctic Freeze 13 CO

Yes, I use thermal paste

Yes, there is no sticker

The mainboard is stated in the first post

Will post speccy shit shortly..

I will also post power supply data in a couple of minutes

Btw I'm not using both coolers, I mean I switched from the first to the second

[email protected]

What do you have against the hyper 212?

im actually using the 212 for my 8320 and it is not really good... the 83xx series honestly should just be watercooled if you dont live in siberia.

1. I use the 2nd now
2. Have them for a while now and didn't know about the 212
3. There is NO WAY the reason for random overheats is the difference between the 13CO and the 212

what fan do you have?. stock?. I changed the original fan out for a premium Corsair one (or really any premium fan I can get at Micro center for a good price. I always do that. My opinion is that fan may have more to do with it than the heatsink. What are your temps? Why you say it's not that good?

There's nothing wrong with those coolers, fucktard. The Shuriken is well-regarded and I had a very similar Arctic cooler on my Phenom II setup for years. It performed just fine cooling a 125W TDP chip. Why do you fags always cling onto one specific product and claim everything else that isn't it must be shit? The Hyper 212 isn't even worth buying any more. There are better options. Stop living in 2014.

I have an 8320 @4ghz on the same Mobo with a hyper 212. Never goes above 60 during long video renders even in the hot Arizona summers.

Okay so after letting my computer shut off for about half an hour this is what it looks like through speccy rn

Why the fuck does speccy show 800MHz for my RAM? I literally set 1600 in the uefi...

Attached: what_the_fuck.png (973x652, 45K)

Also, it even is on 20° idle, look at this shit

Oh and if you wanna know I live in southern germany so it's not really hot outside, more like 13°C

Dual channel doubles the rate
It is 1604 indeed

Dual channel shows half speed, that's normal.

Attached: speccy-2.png (905x649, 74K)

well, like I'm telling the other dude, the issue MAY be the fan. Who knows but I always change it out for a premium one. I mean it there is a pretty big difference between idle temps and whatever it gets too when it shoots up

Allright. I'll back off now. Really didn't mean to trigger everyone. i mean the Hyper 212 is the only cooler I've messed with since, shit I got my 8350 and now I use it on my 1700x and it has treated me well. I don't know how well the other fans do so maybe they're not shit.

>The Hyper 212 isn't even worth buying any more. There are better options

any small ones worth a damn?. If they're all as big as 212 why bother changing. I would like something smaller that does just as good a job though.

well I wanted the speccy for the temps of everything else. I think the 8350 temps might still be fucked in speccy. If I remember correctly there's a 20 degree offset in correct temperature. It might be 40. Try hwmonitor or something.

>I literally set 1600 in the uefi...

how many other settings did you tweak in the bios?. Whatever configuration you did may possibly be leading to instability no?

It even dropped down to 10°C so that would be around 30°C if you're correct

Attached: what_the_fuck2.png (973x652, 45K)

yeah, so still the temps don't look too bad at idle. How hot can you get it?. Can you run the cpu really hot for a while and post?. See how hot it can get and still not shut down.

Sorry I didn't say it clearly.

I set the bios settings back to default, which is 1600MHz for the RAM for example

Do you have a program I can use to heat it up?

use vidcoder to encode a movie. That will use all cores to max pretty much.

AMD overdrive has a stress test that maxes all cores.

Alright I'll run the stability test with every box checked for 24 minutes (the time slider is cancer)

Just run if for like two minutes. If your pc were to shut down because of heat it would shut down after like a minute or two. Besides either way post a speccy every couple minutes.

> FX 8350
>Why THE FUCK does this cpu what seems like randomly overheat?

user, you're asking this question only now? xD

Be sure to monitor the temp offset in overdrive. AMD says 63c is the max safe temp for fx chips.

Alright then, stopped it after 2/3 minutes.

This is what it looked like after roughly 2 minutes.

Attached: 3.png (1920x1080, 451K)

Thing is they don't randomly overheat. I have 2 8320 based machines and have never had them thermal throttle, let alone shut down.

None of those coolers are good enough, get a Fuma for $40, a dual-tower is the bare minimum for high-end FX

Attached: heatsink_dual_fan_1_01.jpg (800x600, 108K)

I play 4K video games on an FX-8350 and a 1080, the CPU is fine.

If you want to know I already tested how hot it would get before shutting down through CPU-Z I think

It was around 80-90°C back then and that's the value CPU-Z showed, if these are even the correct ones

That's way too hot. I've run that test for an hour on mine and never gone over 60

If your cpu is reaching 90 degrees that's pretty high. have you gone into your bios and seen how fast your fans are spinning?. like the cpu fan compared to the others?. your cpu fan shouldn't be spinning slower.

post picture of fan control, what's it show?

Well the fan speed is always the same like in the picture (around 1900 RPM)

I remember hearing some kind of fan running like nuts a couple of months ago while playing some random game but I haven't heard this for quite a long time and I'm not sure if it was the GPU fan or the CPU fan

Your fan speed should increase with the load. This is why you are overheating.

>Well the fan speed is always the same like in the picture (around 1900 RPM)

like in what picture?. I don't see any fans speeds?.

I don't know which fan is the second one I get data from (I have 3 fans, the cpu fan, the front fan and the back fan) but whichever it is, it has around 1300RPM constantly (the data periodically jumps to 67000 for a second and goes back down to "real" values)

Look at the picture, the left window is speccy and it shows the cpu fan speed

Yeah I thought that is what it should be doing but it doesn't do that anymore (with any of the 2 cpu fans I have here)

I can't even control it through OverDrive or the bios settings, whatever I set, it sounds exactly the same and the RPM stays the same

Attached: fan.png (1000x770, 104K)

FAN0 is the CPU fan, FAN1 is the one I don't know of which one it is

But whatever value I set on FAN0, it stays on around 1900RPM

oh ok. you right. fan speed is there.

How did you apply the thermal paste? When is the last time you applied it? Did you clean it first if there was old paste on there?.

What kind of paste did you use?.

Your fan looks good honestly. At those speeds they shouldn't have to go any faster. I think my fans speeds max at 1500.

I'll try rebooting and setting the value again..

Arctic MX-2, applied around 2-3 months ago

Oh and yeah I did clean it and apply it according to a yt video

Nope, still can't set the speed

Why did you re-apply a couple months ago? change cooler?. If so is it because you were having heat issues?.

When you did buy the first fan for that cpu did it come with that default paste stuff on there?. If so did you just pop it on without applying?. how were the temps if you did that?.

There's either a fucked sensor or you have a badly seated cooler/ or something else that out of your control
Cooling should be enough I have a mere DH-9 with a single fan using the 7v cable and it doesn't have any particular issue @ stock.
Only thing I can think of is either atrocious thermal paste or there's a piece of transparent plastic at the base of the heatsink you forgot to remove

Set your fans to automatic. Unplug all other fans from the MB headers, then see if it will change. My cpu fan will vary from 9xx - 33xx RPM given the load. I have had weird shit happen (all the fans were acting strange) when I had a bad fan plugged into the MB.

I re-applied it cuz I bought the CO13 because I thought that would fix this issue, which it didn't

The computer was assembled by a company which did everything for me, so I don't know what kind of paste they used back then

ok. What I'm really trying to nail down is whether or not this overheating issue was ALWAYS an issue since you're owned the pc or if it started after a while. If it started after a while then trying to find out what happened that could have caused it.

So I'm starting to think whoever put it together didn't know what the hell they were doing and passed onto you the problem. That sound right?.

you blow out them coolers with canned air?. Don't want to go through all this and then 200 posts later we find out your cooler is all clogged and gunked up with dist balls and shit.

A new, non-fiery CPU (i.e. Ryzen 2600x) with RAM and mobo would be $370. Considering the FX-8350 came out 7 years ago, you could buy the aforementioned upgrade via saving $5/month.

Well I had this computer for years now but in the first couple of years I didn't really notice anything like that

They are not clogged, no

True and I would if I wasn't broke as fuck lol

I will do the upgrade eventually anyway but I would still like to use this thing without praying to buddha that the cpu doesn't overheat

What's your voltage reading under load?

well, I'm about out of ideas and either way if you said...

>Then the next day I browse some shit through Firefox and BOOM SHUTDOWN IT GOT TO 90°C

truth is there may still be a problem because just running firefox shouldn't be maxing out your pc.

I'd say at this point re-install Windows (yeah yeah, re-install sucks) or at least start scanning for viruses to make sure you have no viruses and shit and be careful about what you install after.

The issue still persists on Linux and trust me I reinstall more than anybody should

What psu do you have?.

be quiet! Pure Power L8 700W

What the fuck I just realized that my GTX 960 fans aren't spinning and one periodically tries to move but stops instantly

here we go.....

But the CPU is overheating, not the GPU...

GPU overheating also shouldn't lead to instant shut down

Semi passive cooling, recent Nvidia cards will only spin fans when over 50°C.

Yeah saw that rn, so that was a false alarm I guess

Dude, you have a fan issue. Figure out why. Are the fans shot? Do you have them hooked up to the correct headers? Are your bios settings correct?

They are running. BIOS and software seems to read the speeds just fine. Everything's plugged into the right spot (otherwise former wouldn't be true)

Are the fans different brand/model?. If so just trade any fan out for the one on the cpu and see if the problem happens again.

Well as I said it overheats on both the scythe and the OC13

no I mean the fans on your case switch out the fan on the cpu cooler for either the one on the back of the case or front.

Have you tried turning the fan speed control off at the bios level? If that shit isn't changing automatically, or running full speed (when control is shut off), you have MB problems. Consider hooking the fan directly to the power supply.

They're too big for the cpu

> You're two generations behind, bucko.

I have an i7 870, and a shitty motherboard that won't let me OC. I'd love to have a 7 year old CPU because at least it's 3 years newer than mine!!!

both those coolers, you're stuck with the fan it ships with?.

>Play
>League
Your cpu is cringing into random shutdowns

That's not the point here

You are almost never going to get your idle temp lower than 20 degrees, especially on air.

If you are lower than 85 under load, it's fine. Don't obsess over temps unless you are throttling.

>Don't obsess over temps unless you are throttling.

His shit is randomly shutting down. I think it's time to worry.

If he's suddenly hitting t-junction without throttling, it means he fucked up the installation of his cooler. He should post pictures of his case and fan setup.

literally first post was me asking for a picture of his board....

lol, true. Well he's hopeless then.

>The thing is that I can't replicate the overheating
if it doesn't happen during a cpu stress test like prime 95, chances are it's not an overheating issue.

it could be a hard drive issue or a ram issue.

if you bought it the last 1.5 year you got it with a wraith prism cooler

which is better than a 212 evo so you are doing something stupidly wrong

since its getting hot here i downclocked it from 4.7ghz to 4.1 ghz
and wraith prism on like 2000rpm is keeping it at 50c

Attached: asdf.jpg (1000x895, 207K)