Boss wants me to learn work-related stuff outside work time

>boss wants me to learn work-related stuff outside work time
What should I do?

Attached: 390056.jpg-r_1280_720-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg (300x400, 94K)

Tell him you'd be glad to do that if he pays the expenses.

You could also refuse, depending on what your contract says.

fuck him in the ass

Sounds like you're incompetent and not fit for the job.

Analyze the situation
Would this stuff make you more likely, at least in theory, to get promoted?

I would unironically do it if my boss paid for all the learning material. I would of course use my newly acquired skills to land a job somewhere else though.

Basically, he wants me to attend a 2 day seminar in the city. Travel and hotel expenses are of course paid for, but I mean, why should I agree to doing this outside my scheduled working hours?

Boss: so user dd you learn the stuff i asked you to go over
>"uh well i did look over the summary once or twice"
Boss: so you don't really know it?
>"well if i have any trouble i can just ask you for help since your my superior"
Boss: i was expecting it to be in your head by this point user, why is it not learnt
>"well i am a very busy man outside of work, family life and all that, i'm also out alot so sorry i do not have any time to do that stuff"

bossman is doing you a favor by saying your Java, C#, PHP, Python skills are no longer appreciated so retrain or get replaced by an h1b and end up another homeless heroin addict

>extra saucy yum yum knowledge
>for free
>"muh free time"
just do it, you have nothing to lose

What country? could be illegal.

Because your free time it's not that worth if you're here.

>life outside work
>family
user we all know bosses dont care about small things like that. if you love your family so much, just make your own company at home and work there. you fired, boyo

do it you faggot

God you fucking NPC's can be insufferable

Unless the seminar is on a topic you have zero interest in, or clashes with something important (not jerking off), you have literally no reason to go. Even if you're not interested, still useful to impress bossman, but personally I likely wouldn't go in that case either

Why would you NOT do this? It's a chance to learn something new and stay updated in the field, sleep in a comfy hotel and eat meals made by someone else?

Why are Jow Forumsentoomen obsessed with not being """wagecucks""" and doing all sorts of mental gymnastics and justifications?? Just go there, learn something, maybe connect with new people.

Literally no reason not to go*, fuck

>living just to impress boss
no thanks

you idiot you’re not being punished, you’re going on a business trip all expenses paid.

The topic is okay-ish, but if I go this is going to set an unfortunate precedence. I don't want to come off as some beta cuck pushover that does stuff for free. Why shouldn't I get paid overtime for this, since I have to travel there on my own time?

>Idiot
Actually, I'm smarter than you.

have sex with him, gay or straight it dont matter, it will go far when it comes to promotions and raises

See I don't want to come off as the pushover that does everything my boss wants at his whim.

Unless they are cutting your pay because "muh you were not here for two days :^)", you are getting two day fully paid vacations. It's called taking an opportunity you fucking sperglord sack of cum.

>going on a business trip is considered "being forced to work overtime for free"
god damn it, I literally have to beg my boss to go to conferences or to learn something new.

are you an IT guy? if you are you'll have to attend conferences and learn new shit until you retire.

if you don't like it swap it for something else, idk i was getting treatment for X disease or something

Saying yes to this doesn't mean you have to say yes to anything in the future. Just stand up for yourself properly when you know for sure you don't wanna do something. Draw on examples like this even to show you can play ball, just on your terms.

uh

some people would call this a perk. you get to travel and stay somewhere new for free. you get to talk to people in your field for free. you get to possibly learn something new for free.

if you're so socially inept that you don't see the advantage of a free business trip, then God speed user. you're fucking hopeless.

are you looking at this from a faggot PUA perspective or something? do you think your boss is trying to alpha you by making you do something?

But it's not vacation, is it you fucking wagecuck? It's still company time, and I don't get paid any extra even though my expenses are paid.

I could do that

Attached: frog_1002.jpg (400x400, 16K)

I never had to do this shit at my old job.

>working extra for free is considered a perk
Is Jow Forums full of cucks?

>saying yes now means I can say no in the future
How about just paying me instead of being a greedy jew?

>wagecuck
I understand your dilemma now. Not answering any further.

He's testing you. Eventually his end goal is to get you to agree with letting him sodomize you.

Attached: 1557681774557.jpg (719x595, 67K)

Tell him "No problem" then don't it.

Are you a retard? That's what normal people do.

>trading time for money
>trading FREE time for money
Never do this

>working extra for free is considered a perk
how are you working extra? you go to a thing, sit down and pretend to listen. is travel work to you? can't pack a bag? afraid to leave your jack station?

>outside work time

Attached: tenor.gif (200x150, 1.09M)

The knowledge and networking you gain from this stays with you for the rest of your life and you’re getting it fo free.

The fact that I have to spell this out for some people is unreal.

What do you think a job inherently is?

start your fucking uselss company if you don't want to go you fucking piece of trash

Usually a scam.

any hot chicas going with you?

>Telling lies
Just grow a pair and tell him you don't want to.

>how are you working extra?
I have to get up early to travel. I have to stay away from home for a night or two, which means that I effectively give up my free time I could spend at home. I'm going to refuse, you guys. This simply isn't worth it. If my boss thought this was really important, he'd pay me overtime.

Honestly? Do whatever you want.

You've probably seen shit like "AI / Automation is going to rule to world". It's right... But only for the parts of the world it can be applied to.

If you want to keep in front, always be learning. Learning in itself is a skill. You could be asked to learn yodelling, it wouldn't be a waste of time.

As for the argument "your boss is just asking you to work for free" - if you genuinely believe that, learn to do something else, and go find another job.

Come on user. You can do better.

Attached: 1551742929548.jpg (600x837, 163K)

No, it would be me going alone.

you're pathetic. lmao

spoken like a true wage slave
read what that user said again

>t. betamale wagecuck licking bossman's boots after hours for free

Your 100% right.

My point was exactly that work is inherently trading your time and effort for compensation. If you have a job, you have already accepted these terms. What is your point?

oof, don't do it

I already decided not to, based on the answers from bootlickers in this thread, but tnx.

this. fuck you OP. a 2 day seminar is like a paid vacation.

It's not though, is it? Time on the road is considered company time, if I hire a prostitute in the evening, I'm gonna get fired. Meanwhile, if I do this at home after work hours, nobody cares.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm still expected to answer emails etc., which I then have to do after the seminar hours.

there comes a time in one's job in which the only good thing about it, even if it pays well, is company of jobmates, whether dudes or hot chicas, in want of either of these two, I say enjoy you free time user

OP is an entitled zoomer

>if I hire a prostitute in the evening, I'm gonna get fired.
how would they know? are you going to talk about it on Facebook?

Okay, I could get fired then, if someone else from the seminar sees me. Whatever, the point was that it's not really vacation or even my free time, it's definitively company time.

If you can get Time Off In Lieu, or it's on normal work days, it sound like a great deal and you'd have no reason not to take it.

Otherwise it's still worth it if it's a useful course or in a nice place.

>you'd have no reason not to take it
Spotted the contrarian faggot. You probably have never worked, or had the luck to land a good job at a decent employer.
These days normal employers WILL get used to abuse of your free time, at first for emergencies, then for normal understaffed projects, and finally you get into a position of "take it or leave it" (and by leave it I mean the job).

Never ever prostitute yourself like this if you have the choice.

fug worg :D

Investing in yourself and your career skills sounds generally like good idea, especially in this particular field.
I would probably go for it.

Not her but I'm only here when I'm on the toilet.

Still on the toilet btw if you wanna chat about anything. It's gonna be a long one.

It could be during the weekend. In which cAse, that is rightly OP's time.

This.
If your boss asks you to work (education counts) in your free time, he's an ass.
Unless you didn't read the contact and he included a clause for this (in which case you deserve whatever comes your way) and you live in a worker-unfriendly shithole (say, the US), he's likely violating the law by asking.

this.
OP is afraid to move up in the world

Let me start with a story OP

I was asked about two years ago at my job to do something similar, fly to Vermont for two days and get some training on new systems. I thought the same thing, that it sucked I had to do this without getting my hourly wages, but it was all expenses paid.

Fast foreward a year and I'm the only employee whose been properly trained on our new system and I'm basically the golden boy on my shift because I'm the only one that bothered to learn how to solve problems.

Not only was that business trip pretty close to a free vacation (got to party and dance at a bar during nights) it was like a free ticket to becoming a valuable asset at work and a guaranteed promotion in the future if I want it

Irrelevant, I’m not going to be at this job for that long anyway. Anyone working a place for more than two years without having been promoted to management is a true wage cuck.

No fuck this, I’ve decided I don’t want to end up as you pathetic fucks telling me to go because “it’s almost like vacation” when it very clearly isn’t. I have some self respect after all. I’m gonna say no. Thanks for opening my eyes to what I don’t want to become, Jow Forums.

>management
anybody working longer than two years who isn't management is a wage cuck

lol sure thing buddy
management is literally babysitting

get him to pay for you courses

>this thread
>these posts
>this formatting
No, you are not smarter than him.

you've got so much self respect you're not willing to spend some of your time learning something new.
right-o good luck with everything

Do whatever your boss wants. You should always work hard for your company, user

Yeah, sure someone has to boss around those non-aspiring and dead-inside wage cucks. :^) at least I’ll be making more money and work way less

What would I benefit from it other than learning a skill that only benefits my boss and his company? Rise up, wage slaves. Your bosses need to earn your respect and hard work.

Thank you merchant. You’re my greatest ally.

>I’m not going to be at this job for that long anyway
not with that attitude, you wont.

your shortsightedness is remarkable.

Cope

>muh plebbit spacing

You don't have to do anything. Your free time is yours. The key word here is "wants". He can't "need" you to do it.

are you a salaried employee? or are you an hourly wageslave? if you are a burger flipper tell him it is out of the scope of your job as you see it. If you have a real job go. Usually you can say no to conferences and seminars (I can) but why would you turn down the opportunity to travel and learn for free? I assume you miss at least one workday of work which is pretty sweet. Its not like you dont get paid cause you are at a seminar. Then you can make sure to stay at the hotel chain you always stay at, and fly the airline you always fly to collect points and status. Then check out the city for free.

Because if you are admitting itt that you want to find a new job, having new marketable skills would obviously be incredibly useful...?

Do however you like, but you will be left in the dust by those who strive to learn.

>two years
Based entitled millennial.

I'm salaried.
It's unpaid in the sense that I have to spend my after work hours in another city instead of being able to do whatever I want.

>you can make sure to stay at the hotel chain you always stay at
All bookings have to be through the travel agency the company always uses, the "hotel" is going to be some cheap-ass "motel" far away from the city centre.

>and fly the airline you always fly to collect points and status.
Same with airplane, and we're not allowed to collect miles due to new government regulations (basically, you have to pay taxes on them as they are considered a "benefit").

>Then check out the city for free.
It's only two days, and I'm not allowed to spend any vacation days in addition as I'm needed at work the day after the seminar.

Anyway, I've already decided it's not in my best interest to go.

The keyword here is marketable. Some seminar on symphony2 and eZ publish is not that, when I hate that shit and I don't want to work with PHP ever again after this job.

depends, if you love your job and that shit will get you a promotion\will look good on your resume go do it.

>company offers to pay for expensive training and travel
>OP spergs out because he spends his valuable free time shit posting and hiring prostitutes

>It's unpaid in the sense that I have to spend my after work hours in another city instead of being able to do whatever I want.
So it is entirely paid and you are just retarded. Got it. anyway, sucks that you work for a cheapo company that would actually put you in a motel, or that your country is such a shithole you cant collect points. If you plan on just staying in your position for a while, then yeah you can say fuck off, if that is your desire. But if you want to be promoted, or leave for another company you should probably suck it up, especially if its the latter. They are usually really good network events As for the travel part, a lot of those conferences/seminars, you can just leave early without anyone really noticing or caring.

Nobody puts some two-day conference on their resumés, you NEET. And nobody gets promoted for doing a seminar on some shit that the boss is too cheap to hire someone else to do.

>Some seminar on symphony2 and eZ publish is not that, when I hate that shit and I don't want to work with PHP ever again after this job.
Why? 99.9% of my job is just using R. But having other programming skills impressed the hiring manager. The general skill, work ethic, soft skills etc are all still handy.

Explain to me how it's paid. You are literally forced to spend extra hours away from home, and the only compensation you're getting are paid meals. In those hours, you could be doing literally anything else, even working another side-gig or job and actually getting paid for those hours.

I hate PHP and I refuse to even put it on my resumé.

no you fucking dumbass.
You A) are not gonna get promoted if you are too lazy to do any self improvement for the job. Some other keener will and he will get promoted not you.
B) Resume means fuck all in comparison to networking or nepotism. I dont like it either, but my career was made by talking to suits at conferences, not shitposting on Jow Forums.
C) OP will obtain skills he can bullshit about on his resume/ Covering letters. Or he can bring it up in an interview one day or someshit. looks good that his employer wanted to invest in him.

The only reason my boss wants me to go is so that I can remake the company website, because he's a cheapskate that refuses to hire some company or freelancers to do it.

>explain how it is paid
You get a paycheque every two weeks, and you spent your time at a seminar instead of the office? basically jerking off and fucking around with people instead of doing actual work? Also some people actually PAY money to travel, instead of demanding extra pay to do it. What are you some sort of fucking american?