Why would anyone use anything other than Ubuntu when working on Linux...

Why would anyone use anything other than Ubuntu when working on Linux? Its basically a perfect distro that has a low barrier to entry. It takes minimal effort to get up and running effectively. Its free of botnet, and has minimal bloat

Attached: index.jpg (225x225, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it forces you into few things that arent changeable, uses same packages as debian that have security vunerabilities and has a shit package manager. Trying to debloat ends in breaking your own personal dependency hell

Attached: 74708853_p0.jpg (740x1024, 406K)

don't like aptitude
simple as

I just hate Debian and its derivatives. Fedora for nufrens and Arch if there's lights on upstairs.

*blocks you're path* nothing personnel kiddo
>even more free of botnet (ubuntu isn't free of botnet, it's just free of botnet that isn't trivially removed)
>bloat is even more minimal
>package manager has a simple system for letting you manage soft dependencies (USE flags) instead of just treating them as hard dependencies like apt does
>barrier to entry and effort to get up and running are non-issues since you're not a brainlet (you're not a brainlet, right user-kun? right?)

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

But user, those both have stupid names.
>Fedora
mmmmmmm'lady
>Arch
*thumps bible*

>minimal bloat
Ubuntu actively doesn't care about avoiding bloat.
>free of botnet
apex fucking lel

Ubuntu is worth using (or targeting) due to its comparatively large install base, ease of install and use, and the wide range of support it has, but there are other qualities in a Linux distro that are preferable.
Still, it's a pretty good contender for a "standard" Linux distro if you were a company and were looking to support Linux for whatever reason.

Okay.

>another gentoo fag

YOUVE BEEN GNOMED

You forgot to tell that it also has the GOAT font rendering of all Linux distros.
Are you the same guy that keeps spamming around about Debian having a lot of security vulnerabilities? And when people ask for proof you just go and post a link?

There's this many of us because it's just that good.

im just some newfag, not the guy youre looking for

Attached: 1557139814501.png (300x300, 114K)

AHAHAHAHAH

Attached: giphy.gif (160x160, 1.03M)

Defaults to systemd, isn't source-based, feels way buggier than both its parent and child (Debian and Mint, respectively).

>doesn't even have any other response

Attached: doesn't even have any other response.png (685x508, 320K)

>Ubuntu actively doesn't care about avoiding bloat.
>ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
what's this? A net installer that gives your a minimal system and allows you configure/build the system?
How will archers EVER recover

That's cool. Fedora exists, though. Sorry to prove you wrong.

Attached: dumb_fuck_juice.jpg (563x651, 226K)

Allow me to interject for a moment.

What you guys are referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux. Thank you for taking your time to cooperate with with me, your friendly GNU+Linux neighbor, Richard Stallman.

>alternative

>>>Ubuntu actively doesn't care about avoiding bloat.
>>less features = good
>retard

It's the only sane distro besides Fedora for people who want easy access to proprietary software and have actual work to do

its not difficult, its time consuming. I don't want to spend my time making things work

>if you aren't forced into minimalism by the distro, it's a shit distro

based. I installed it a few months ago, got my stuff all up and just got frustrated always compiling everything and having to spend days learning how to fix/set up things I use. No reason not to use Fedora, Debian(and some forks including Ubuntu), I'm sure SuSE works fine as well along with a handful of others.

Non-free packages. Use one of these ones: gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html.

What are the non-free packages, aside from things like GPU drivers? I use ffmpeg and mpv, are they indirectly using blobs behind the scenes from non-free?

Download Guix

It's time consuming because it's too difficult for you. I installed it and I didn't *have* to spend my time making things work.

Then again, I also have an 8-core system with discrete graphics and 32GiB RAM. I can see how the build times might be a bottleneck if you're a corelet. Which itself I suppose would not be surprising if you're a brainlet.

>What are the non-free packages
Check the licenses.
>ffmpeg
>mpv
Both are free. GPL3 license.
>are they indirectly using blobs behind the scenes from non-free?
Depends on the package. Some use non-free shit. Generally best to use a free distro if you don't want to go through everything youself.

Because they dropped 32 bit support, and I like using my Latitude D810.

autism

Nigger

Arch always has the latest packages and a huge collection of a community package. I don't want to spend 20 years compiling dependency trees manually when I need one bug fix from the past 3 years, especially as a developer by trade.

Compiling dependency trees manually is way less of a big deal than people make it out to be, when the new GCC came out I rebuilt my entire system in 15 minutes.

Why waste time running compile commands manually, dealing with any gotchas, and manually updating when there's already a distro that does all of that shit for me?

Isn't the point of Linux supposed to be that it runs well, runs fast and isn't bloated? If you need an 8-core system with 32 GiB of RAM to run something that's just as much of a waste of time as Windows, then you're doing something wrong.

What do you mean waste time? What time?

>waste of time
see:

The time it takes to build shit manually on Ubuntu rather than running a single command...

Again, what time?
Also, since when are we talking about Ubuntu? I'm talking about Gentoo. And by the way, on Gentoo, you DO run only a single command to build everything manually.
emerge -a package-name

The thread is about Ubuntu and I was replying to the OP. Gentoo is good.

>I was replying to the OP
I assumed you were talking to me and just didn't link me, because if you were talking about the OP, what you said doesn't make any sense.
>compiling dependency trees manually
You don't do this in ubuntu.

install gentoo

Mint is superior for beginners.
Gentoo is superior for lack of bloat.
Arch is superior because of customization.

Basically cuckbuntu falls in that weird goldylocks zone where it doesn't outperform at anything particular and gets cucked by all other superior distros.

Ubuntu outperforms in out-of-the-box compatibility.

You mispelled Debian

But Debian doesn't outperform in out-of-the-box compatibility.

it's like 1GB with nothing installed

did you read the post, or were your feelings hurt because someone said something remotely negative about Ubuntu

It's spyware and bloatware. Install CentOS minimal install instead

RHEL because Red Hat support. I prefer ubuntu on the desktop though.

Ubuntu has shitty packages so you have to compile stuff manually.

Oh, that's what you meant
Yeah, Ubuntu is designed as a substitute consumer OS. It's not really meant for people who need specific software or libraries and it definitely shows.

because retards think they are elite for using something else and for copying commands from a wiki

>muh bloat
if you care about that shir in $CURRENT_YEAR, you should be running OpenWRT instead.

DNF is SHIT. RPM is SHIT.