12 hours of compiling just to get a useable desktop and firefox on my laptop...

12 hours of compiling just to get a useable desktop and firefox on my laptop. I don't really see the point in using this distro unless your time is absolutely worthless and you have tremendous patience every time you need something new or an update. sure its probably great on a modern desktop with 16 threads but then your little anti-bloat choices and patches would have an entirely negligible impact on performance anyway. what's the point?

Attached: gentoo-g(2).png (180x180, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

to learn winbabbys how to follow instructions.

arch does that more effectively. also its "teach"

>you do the same initial investment every day

I know its a big paragraph but try your hardest to read all of it

>but then your little anti-bloat choices and patches would have an entirely negligible impact on performance anyway
Nope. USE flags might not make much of a difference but being able to compile programs using your native CPU's full instruction set is massive for a lot of things. GCC is also only just beginning to start taking things further with optimizations for Ryzen processors with v8. coupled with that is Link Time Optimization (LTO) which makes a big difference on some programs too, but is still a relatively modern thing and takes a little bit more engagement (really just switching it off for individual packages that won't compile with it). Pretty soon Firefox is gonna be consistent enough in the Gentoo repo's to compile with Clang+LTO which is gonna put Gentoo users miles ahead of anyone else on the most important program of any desktop. I think you can get LTO to work with it in some cases but only with specific CPU's and specific USE flag configurations, it's still early days there, but it's coming.
Also nothing beats the intimacy you have to your machine than with Gentoo. You pick and chose every little thing, configure it by hand all yourself, your OS is your own creation.

it sounds like you compiled a full desktop environment (KDE or GNOME) and god fucking help you if you compiled firefox.
in short: you are retarded, did not read the big fat bolded warnings in the handbook, and should buy a mac.
The only things that took time setting up gentoo for me was compiling gcc, the nvidia drivers, and libreoffice. things actually download and compile faster on my gentoo machine than they do on my ubuntu workstation, and then they end up running faster too.

Do you even know what you are asking for? That is at least... at least...
too many letters!

retard doesn't know how to read installation instructions

Attached: 1558326566900.png (488x463, 28K)

arch is anothere meme, tho. It breaks with updates.

Retard here, how is Gentoo any different from just compiling things in other distros?

babbyfaggot go back to apple

try it. it's different.

thanks for the (You)s and non-arguments, retards. I installed it fine, it all works. what is the fucking point in using gentoo if you only install binaries?

quiet down fucktard and get back to compiling in silence

not hearing an argument

you get a meme package manager to hold your hand while you do it

And I'm hearing your bitchass whine too much. Now swallow your gentoo cereal in quiet.

Ahh yes. I too reinstall my OS every week!

>arch does that more effectively
No it doesn't.

>I can't read

There's a reason why "install gentoo" is parroted in every thread:
Because it sucks.
Welcome to 4chinks.

>t.brainlet who doesn't want to learn how computers work.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc

12 hours? Are you a fucking retard or are you running an 80386 DX?

Attached: get_out_of_g.png (1000x1000, 222K)

>t. neet who can't read

Just install Clear Linux

> 12 hours
tfw cpulet

this looks neat but i'm a retard and i'm sure it'll just be another failure point for me.
t. going to install gentoo tomorrow

>he actually fell for it
Gentoo is useless. Install Debian or Slackware.