What's wrong with it? does the "bloat" actually matter on any PC from the last decade?

what's wrong with it? does the "bloat" actually matter on any PC from the last decade?

Attached: IMG_20190522_122843.png (1080x876, 431K)

>what's wrong with it?
Fuckhuge titlebars, window manager that only facilitates a vertical split, hotcorner instead of defaulting that functionality to the super key, failure to include dash to panel functionality by default, file manager for simpletons. No, bloat doesn't matter.

>file manager for simpletons
ah yes the age old linux philosophy of ease of use & productivity = bad

man at this point who the fuck cares t b h. unistall the preinstalled software and thats all, if someone needs le barebone distro because muh control then go for arch or gentoo. thats all dude im so fuckn tired, omfg

I'd be much more productive with a file manager that wasn't made for little kids. Your sassy gay reply makes me think you're more of a macOS kid anyway.

I use i3 and fff mostly but sure, project instead of making an argument

>doesn't understand what projecting means
Maybe leave talking to the white adults.

just use kde

-looks like shit
-wants to be mac
-looks like shit
-foot
-looks like garbage

the macOS file browser is ages better than nautilus.

It feel unprofessional to me. I get that they're going for touch screen support so it makes sense that it feels like a mobile device but I still hate it

Nautilus is fairly garbage compared to everything else out there

instead of making these theads just use what you're comfortable with. I like every DE but these threads just make the insufferable Ktards more full of themselves. it's to the point where they're literally hating on xfce for not updating often. absolutely retarded userbase

i think it's good for laptops etc although i'm still not quite sure how it's supposed to help with my productivity because having lots of applications opens, at least for me, makes it unusable

Nautilus is barely a file manager though

Ho ho ho ha ha, ho ho ho he ha. 'Ello, my old chum. I’m gnot an gnelf. I’m gnot a goblin. I’m a gnome. And you’ve been, GNOMED!!!

Attached: gnomed.jpg (220x190, 7K)

that's why I use gnome commander

Every item you listed can be changed easily without even involving terminal. Next!

>having to use extensions to fix your inherently flawed DE
Yeah, you're exactly the kid of retard the yells "Next!" like a fucking queer.

footfags deserve the rope

not him but gnome is comfy. calm down

why is the activities page a full-screen overlay with huge icons instead of a gnome 2/mate or kde inspired menu? i don't like designs like that. i like simplicity. i typically use fluxbox or mate.

It's just slow, the animations even drop frames for fuck's sake.

nothing wrong if you value your time as opposed to dealing with mouse faggotry DE's or autistic window managers without a power/audio manager by default

What's the point in installing a DE, if you are going to uninstall all the programs anyway? Can't you just get Gmome shell as a standalone WM?

imagine using a foot DE on a pube OS

>Fuckhuge titlebars
They're only fuckhuge if functionality is integrated into them, which saves space in total.
>window manager that only facilitates a vertical split
It also has corner split, however the main idea was using workspaces anyway, which GNOME definitely excels at.
>hotcorner instead of defaulting that functionality to the super key
It has both by default.
>failure to include dash to panel functionality by default
So they're not accomodating their deliberately different approach to a graphical interface to your preferences, that just so happen to align with the most commonly used interface paradigm.
>file manager for simpletons
It can mount, unmount, decrypt LUKS, use SFTP, NFS, WebDAV, and SMB, discover local Windows shares with NetBIOS, discover local macOS and Linux shares thanks to Avahi integration and is incredibly extensible via plugins and scripts. Easy to use does not mean lacking in features.
>No, bloat doesn't matter.
Yes, and in version 3.32 it doesn't even have much of it.

can't load my xmodmap
in any simple wm like i3 it's trivial

>Fuckhuge titlebars,
that's the theme, change it

it's ugly

because huge icons are easy to see and to click
fuck that small title bar cancer and i don't even use gnome

don't use gayland

most based user in the thread

Attached: 1558132087637.jpg (530x570, 265K)

Everytime I see Gnome it takes me literal seconds to realise that I'm not looking at macOS

It's not really important what you think about it.
Every distro that matters ships with Gnome by default.
It's THE linux interface in the foreseeable future.

>what's wrong with it?
Very barebones out of the box, so you have to spend a lot of time configuring it to be usable.
>does the "bloat" actually matter on any PC from the last decade?
Yes. Lighter it is - better it works with other bloated shit like modern web browsers.
Like you can still use bloat with bloat, but it's not nearly as nice.

Why do people focus so much on memory usage? Isn't CPU overhead more important? Or is that an uncomfortable angle for KDE advocates?

>It's THE linux interface in the foreseeable future.

and that's a good thing

Please tell me nautilus can split into two panes and I simply can't find the keybind for it.

Every distro that matters ships without a DE by default.

Developers are narcissists who don't give a shit about their users. They treat GNOME as a pet project, only implement things that are "fun" and don't use it themselves (they use macs).

>being this delusional

GNOMED

Reminder that pretty much all theme developers have stopped making themes for GNOME.

They are trying to hide everything from the user the way windows do but don't provide a way for power users to overcome these limitations.
What they don't realize is that power users make out about 90% of their users, but this does not matter because they are paid by redhat no matter what junk they create.

It's a DE for retards. Notice all the anime watchers defending it?

It doesn't do anything. You may as well install fluxbox and throw a Gb of ram in the trash.
And it looks like shit.

your opinion is wrong

you have to INSTALL AN EXTENSION TO DISABLE HOT CORNER. who the FUCK thought that was a good idea. KDE forever.

Problem with it is that I don't have touchscreen and using UI made for Tablets on mouse is not very intuitive.

I don't need a touch screen OS for my desktop. Also yeah bloat is bad.

>don't provide a way for power users to overcome these limitations
>gsettings doesn't exist
>{system,journal}ctl --user doesn't exist
>generally any command line tool for a service GNOME interacts with doesn't exist
What limitations are you talking about specifically?

>does the "bloat" actually matter on any PC from the last decade?
In terms of performance, no. But it's not about performance. It's an ideological thing. It's not about how bloated it is, it's about WHY it's so bloated. SystemD provides too many features and services, that are all too tightly coupled, and accordingly, there are too many vulnerabilities. It's against the Unix philosophy, and the more people use it, the more software is created for those people. Software created for people who use SystemD will naturally cooperate with the ecosystem of SystemD. In the sense of a physical metaphor, you can think of software developers being pulled in by SystemD's gravitational pull because it's such a fucking fat greedy bitch. Basically, the problem is, the more stuff depends on SystemD, the more bloated it will become. It's already a big enough botnet entry point as it is, and as it gets more bloated, it's just going to become more vulnerable. If you use SystemD or anything with a hard dependency on it, you're A) taking a stance in support of more software relying on a vulnerable bloated mess, and by extent taking a stance in support of that software becoming more bloated and vulnerable, and also B) exposing yourself to the botnet entry points that already exist in the software.

Well unlike GUH NOME you can change it with minimal effort

>But it's not about performance. It's an ideological thing.
So it's irrelevant.

Fucking this.

I got used to the hotcorner. at first I always installed it but now using the hotcorner became second hand. it is retarded that they don't have an option to disable it.

>it is retarded
My thoughts on Gnome.