Ok Jow Forums a few months ago (circa 8) i built a super cheap PC using an APU (model A8 9600) a cheap am4 motherboard...

Ok Jow Forums a few months ago (circa 8) i built a super cheap PC using an APU (model A8 9600) a cheap am4 motherboard, the cheapest DDR4 ram i could find and an hdd from ebay and i was surprised at how much shit i could get done. Today i installed a shitty 120GB ssd (15$) and man this feels like a superfast computer when you're just dumb shit like browsing or writing scripts or fucking around with old games. Are super expensive gaymer rigs a meme? The whole thing cost me about 200$

Attached: ayypYou.jpg (800x529, 82K)

Gaming rigs are for....gaming

Yes. New games suck and are console ports. No sense trying to max them out. Also, splurge a bit on better dual channel RAM for even better performance. Extra 50 bucks for an extra 15% GPU performance is great value.

Depends on the task and user preference. I have to use a snappy computer so it's a 4+GHz CPU with lots of cache and a gddr5 GPU for me. Plus a low latency kernel. Just can't stand (micro)stuttering.

/thread
as long as you aren't playing modern games or doing anything else graphically intensive integrated gpus are fine

That is a great thing if you just do some light work and old games are great. But if you want to do some 3D rendering, video encoding, or a game with a ton of particles or lightning you'll need something beefy.

>modern games
yep, modern is the key. you can still play games on an igpu

Attached: cutting_edge.png (740x252, 42K)

yeah i dont do any of that and the games i play are usually pretty lightweight(Path of Exile, Starcraft I, Quake Live, some League, CS:GO), it runs emulators pretty well too.

what is an apu?

Just a fancy name for a CPU+GPU combo, think of Intel CPU+Intel GPU except in this case the GPU isn't dogshit.

This in an apu

Attached: images.png (500x614, 19K)

In a world where CPUs with half the speed of yours are completely usable, you should not be surprised. I have an Elitebook 8540w with i7-820QM, 16GB RAM, Quadro FX 1800M and an SSD, it’s its perfectly fine for any generic use.

Yeah i guess so but whats with the constant spamming on Jow Forums about 5GH'z INTEL cpu's and the need for higher IPC or w/e ? I'm just surprised how quick and lag free the whole system is now that ive installed this cheap ssd.

Yes, they are a meme. Today's "games" are boring storyshit that aren't worth playing and aren't worth buying overpriced shit computers for.

Congrats, OP, you figured it out while the rest of these underage shits couldn't.

I have a 9980XE in my desktop, it’s nice for gaming, but as I said for normal use anything that’s a core 2 quad or higher is more than enough.

Modern computer programs and games take advantage of all cores.

So if you got the cores, there aint gonna be a problem on a cpu.

>Ryzen 3 2200g, $70
>Asrock Pro4 M, $80
>8 GB DDR4, $30
>Crucial 500 GB SSD, $50
>Thermalcuck case, $30 after rebayt
>Corsair 450w PSU, $20 after rebaite

Paid $308 after tax for a decent new PC that is snappy as shit and can even run SOME tryple A gayms at low-medium settings, can also edit up to 1080p video. I'm happer with this rig than with my Ryzen 7 rig.

Was thinking of getting a 2400g. I'm doing CS and don't think I'd need a 2700... My most complicated program was bisection search.....

Yea its not a bad way to go if those are the things you like. If you can emulate up to PS1/PSP fairly well then that with old PC games is a mountain of quality titles to last until the grave.

Out of curiosity how well does it manage later emulation like PS2 and beyond?

The other down side is that some games really aren't as good when they aren't new. When they have a new idea that quickly spreads and gets done better down the road by others using their work as a starting point.

Or worse yet something that is a novel idea at the time then gets done to death by every game after it to the point you are sick of seeing it tangentially before ever playing it.

Half-Life is even my personal example of this. I missed the boat on that one so now when I try to play it the first couple of hours are basically everything wrong with modern gaming. Locked scenarios, being literally on rails, jerking off an idea in a forced tutorial, and fuck annoying enemies, etc. I can see why it was great and different in its time where everything came after Quake and Doom and was about going the speed of light while reducing all in your path to blood mist. But all I could do is sit and think this is a great idea for a netflix or whatever mini series, but I would sure like all this talking and forced parts to fuck right off so I can destroy things with a gravity gun. Portal held up though even being late to it. You got fed story in a snarky way while actually playing at the same time so it didn't feel like it was stalling out or taking forever to start.

just get a 2200g

Plenty of modern games that don't need a powerful GPU. More than ever in fact. Most graphically intensive games are total garbage nowadays.

New 12nm APUs are gonna be released soon. I looked around for a deal and found a 2200g for $70 and couldn't pass that up. Either scour for deals or just wait for the new generation.

I got something similar but have a 240SSD with a 1TB hardrive that I had use as an external drive for my laptop.