Carpel tunnel/RSI

Anyone else on Jow Forums have carpel tunnel or RSI?

I think I'm starting to develop carpel tunnel, getting pains in my right wrist more frequently now. How do I stop it?

Attached: Carpal-Tunnel-Syndrome.jpg (1100x619, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalen_maneuver
aliexpress.com/item/32852753912.html
youtube.com/watch?v=yaGhWN2cvUY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mousing hand?

Hand wrist and forearm stretches. Flexion forearm exercises. Vertical Mouse. Ergonomic keyboard (think: microshit sculpt). Take fairly frequent breaks and do not rest your mousing hand on your wrist, that arm should be free floating.

>How do I stop it?
Unironically kill yourself.

> how do I stop it ?
stop using emacs.

if you were to touch your fourth finger (the one next to your pinky) on both sides, does touching its right side feel different from touching its left side?
t.med student

You are prone to failure there, so you fail. Asking healthy people to tell you how to fix it is retarded, you just get common sense responses from people who think they are being useful. You tried all that, it doesn't work, like telling someone with cancer to try no having cancer. Live through the pain, when it gets bad kill yourself.

Yeah, it causes tingles on the knuckles of the index and ring fingers. Not much, not for long.

As soon as you get pangs give that hand a break for one hour. If they return, try to go a day. If they return, go two days. Like this, I've avoided developing full blown RSI syndromes of the R wrist or thumb.

not op
right side of the right ring finger feels "smoother"
does that mean anything? apart from cancer and imminent death?

Masturbate.

Attached: C9HQoeGV0AAENJL.jpg:orig.jpg (631x746, 50K)

hmm that wasn't what i was looking for, as you can see here your ring finger (fourth finger) is innerved by two nerves , median and ulnar), if the sides feel extremely different than there is a problem with one of them . The difference will be as clear as day though, if its small its meaningless. Every patient i've done it too were surprised by the fact how different it feels

Attached: sensoryhand.jpg (367x336, 36K)

Remap caps lock to ctrl

also depending on the case this is mostly fixable, sometimes not even needing surgery. It does'nt necessarely mean the nerve is compressed or something, it could a myriad of things

Classic sign of ulnar nerve.

Look at your elbow, not your wrist.

Follow my advice

Stopping using the trackpad of my laptop and using a real mouse stopped my RSI.

Carpal tunnel is a woman’s disease and mostly if you think you have carpal tunnel, you just have RSI

OP here, it doesn't feel different. I guess I'm okay for the time being but I should be careful from here?

Controller

i mean it's always generally good to be careful, hands are prone to all kind of insane accidents. Just try to keep your hands in a relaxed state most of the time.
what user said here is also great.
I personally try to stay comfortable by using keyboard only but the vim way is not for everybody i guess

stop using small keyboards. stop using mechanical keyboards. stop using gamer mice. just buy ergonomic shit or if you wanna go full aspie get wrist straps.

This doesn't just cure back pain, it cures RSI. Read it now.

Attached: 144873.jpg (307x475, 40K)

>How do I stop it?
Find the mouse that suit your hand. Don't fall for ergonomic meme, just keep finding what is the right for you. Cost you extra but still cheaper than your hands.

How do I know if I have it?

buy a logitech mx ergo and keep switching between mouse and trackball every couple of hours and get used to doing it.

Worked for me.

Go to the gym every day and both cardio and strength training of the arms + shoulder area.

Hey, I'm a draw-fag from /ic/.
Sometimes my left hand's thumb feels stiff at the base of the blue area (where it meets the wrist). I also have a feeling of tension in the center of wrist on the inner side. Could you help me too, please?

I intensively use both keyboard and drawing utenstils.

>med student
Step a side kouhai.
Do this test
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalen_maneuver
If it's +ve, then you need a hand brace which keep you hand in nuetral position and start taking NSAID e.g. Ibuprofen 200mg twice daily, if no improvement in 3 months you need surgery.
I'm willing to do it for... 500$ just because you're Jow Forumsentooman.

>Get a real man disease like mesothelioma or penile cancer.
KYS retarded fag.

This is religion.

I had wrist pain that was getting worse (the pain would come on quicker) for a period of a few months or maybe longer. Though I consider the condition to be only mild for me. I stopped resting my wrist on the desk and after a few weeks the conditon totally went away. I raised my chair to get my armrest even with the top of desk to accomplish it.

I have RSI in my ulnar nerve on my right hand (the ulnar goes thru the elbow to your littlest fingers, you feel it most in the pinky and along the outer side of the arm)

Usually once you develop a problem like this it will be recurring for the rest of your life. Sometimes surgery can help.

It helps to take regular breaks and do stretches. It also helps to get exercise, eat well and be in good shape. Being physically stronger can allow your muscles to remove some tension (although this can also work against you if you aren't careful)

It helps to have good posture while doing anything that makes the RSI worse. For me, I have mostly eliminated using a mouse because it makes my issues way worse. I also try to use "stringed"/layered hotkeys instead of "chording."

My problems actually developed from guitar. I played like most idiots who keep the guitar away from the body and on the right leg, and anchor their strumming hand. Proper guitar posture is having the guitar closer to the chest, and between the legs, as well as having a stable way of balancing yourself so your hand doesnt need to anchor.

Once my problems get really noticeable (painful) The only way to really get them to recede is to take several months away from anything that makes them worse. Nerves can grow and heal, in my experience, faster than bone, but slower than pretty much everything else that heals in the body. This is why most people never actually have their problems go away, because if you do something enough to get carpal tunnel or some RSI, it's likely you do it as a career or important habit, and you cant or wont just take off a few months any time pain starts.

I'm not OP but I have rsi related to my ulnar nerve. I have "short" ulnar nerves that pop in and out at my elbow. For me wearing an elbow brace that restricts movement there can help from getting more pain while I'm doing something that can hurt.

I wrote a post just a sec ago about this stuff but not really many details of my specific issue.

Mechanical keyboards are better for RSI. I'm speaking from personal experience. I switched from a membrane keyboard to one with cherry mx blue switches and it helped me a lot. Mechanical keyboards should allow each stroke to be more efficient and cause less of a shock, you should be able to learn to type without "bottoming out" because you can feel and hear when the key "activates" rather than just smashing it to the bottom and knowing it should work.

Attached: 1541713739561.jpg (600x600, 25K)

1. most actual carpal tunnel problems are due to repetitive strain
2. if above, you need to find methods to reduce repetitive strain
3. repetitive strain is often very very position dependent, and also duration dependent
4. you can change the set up, change the duration, change the routine
5. to change the set up, alter the angle of the wrist using a brace, the height of the table, the angle of the keyboard
6. to change the set up, get 3 or 4 different keyboards, and 3 or 4 different mice; swap from one to another every 15 minutes
7. to change the duration, get a kitchen timer, or use a computer timer, and stop activity every 10-15 minutes to rest for 5 minutes
8. to change the duration, do not use hand operated devices for more than an hour at a time (1 hour on, 1 hour off) including cell phones, gaming consoles
9. to change the routine, do not use hand operated devices when you get home from work; avoid the same positional arrangements that you use at work when you get home

take an NSAID on a regular schedule for two weeks (ibuprofen, not tylenol)
when pain stops, do not restart the old routine - this may cause a reinjury which is worse than the original - maintain the modified routine for at least 3-4 weeks
do what this user recommended once pain begins to subside but do not use more than moderate force you may find that taping your thumb to your index finger for most of the day may help (i can explain why but if you try it you will know why it works)
avoid pleb bullshit tests like because there are often false positives and false negatives and simple-minded medical recipes don't often have much relevance to obtaining a solution in the context of complex human factors

clients I see are usually men who can't stop doodling with their cell phones; also you have no idea what you're talking about since RSI is a general description due to a practice, and "carpal tunnel" is one consequence of the practice (dumb tradie)

Unironically buy pic related
aliexpress.com/item/32852753912.html

Attached: Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 17.04.17.png (1732x1728, 1.17M)

yeah these type of mice feel really comfy, even if you dont have RSI

like this

Attached: cut here.png (1100x619, 564K)

REST it.
You cannot work your way out of a repetitive stress injury. Get off the computer and stay off until the pain is completely gone. This will probably take at least a week straight, and could take longer. Don't stop resting just at "I can live with this discomfort now" since you'll just be racking up the injury. You have to let it heal completely to have a chance to get it back to normal.
Unplug your PC and grab a bunch of books to read.

If your work requires you to work on a PC, you're going to have to find some combination of sick/vacation days and switching up your mechanical workflow. (such as switching to a trackball until you're better)
Ergonomic keyboards are great. I've been using a Microsoft Natural Elite since 1999. It takes a few days to get used to but once you do they're the greatest things ever. You may want to ebay yourself an original Elite (with a PS/2 to USB converter if you don't have a PS/2 port) since the later cheap ergonomic keyboards are crap. (The 4000's spacebar is atrocious)

chip yourself

As someone who recovered from some debilitating combination of RSI/carpal tunnel/ulnar deviation, this is correct. Additionally make sure your elbow is level with your mouse, if it's above your mouse it pinches the nerve, and if your wrist is digging in to your desk that also pinches the nerve. For stretches, the one that works best for me is to hold your hand out palm up with your arm fully extended, then rotate it down so your fingers point down and the palm faces forwards, and then you push it against a wall so your fingers stretch backwards. If your arm goes numb and starts tingling, it means your nerve was getting pinched by swollen stuff in your wrist and you just freed it, which scared the hell out of me when it happened. An additional thing to be aware of is that when your hand rests flat on your desk your wrist bones cross over each other, which is no good, so try to keep both hands rotated so the inner part is higher than the outer part. Finally, make sure that your wrist is straight in line with your hand the way it is while your arms are at your sides, ergo/split keyboards help a lot with this.

this is the only sure way to make things improve if the problem is due to RS

If you seriously recommend a Microsoft sculpt type of keyboard you are a complete retard. You need an actual split board with two separate pieces you can position yourself. And having light switches (I gateron clears, maybe reds) will definitely reduce strain too.

these niggas out on Jow Forums requesting medical advice

>Anyone else on Jow Forums have carpel tunnel or RSI?
No, I'm not mentally retarded.
>How do I stop it?
kys

In some MK communities they actually strongly recommend against linear or light switches for people who have RSI because the strain from bottoming out is much higher than the strain from pressing a heavy switch. This was true in my case, switching from browns to zealios made typing much less straining as the hard bump lets you know when to stop pressing.

Technology is a contact sport

thank Jesus I got out of a wagecuck bitch ass cubicle job. I support Cloud infrastructure now that doesnt require me to be tied in front of a computer all day.

Attached: 326-3261848_318kib-1053x1080-1529863334520-dabbing-pepe.jpg (820x976, 142K)

Do the the carpal tunner exercises.
It may take a couple of weeks to show their effect but they work.
Also try using the mouse with the other hand to speed up recovery.
I got saved twice from carpal and once from cubital (fucking warframe) thanks to these kinds of exercises.

Attached: carpal-tunnel-syndrome-management-exercise-03.jpg (539x502, 30K)

This.

Used one for a few days and the symptoms disappeared.

depends
youtube.com/watch?v=yaGhWN2cvUY