Why is this file manager so shit? Why are all linux file managers so shit...

Why is this file manager so shit? Why are all linux file managers so shit? As much as I hate wangblows atleast in that pajeet shit I can search for a file within a folder by name and get a result half the time, FOSS autists for whatever reason decided that functionality doesn't need to exist. No wonder year of the linux desktop hasn't happened yet, this shit is absolutely unusable for the average person if you're not comfortable using a terminal

Attached: thunar-split-view.png (1344x854, 270K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=291835
guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/search
github.com/junegunn/fzf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How can people possibly shill XFCE when their OWN file manager doesn't come with search functionality? you have to use GNOME utils to make it even close to as useable as wangbows, what the fuck is their problem? Is a working search function something that's hard to program?

Works on my machine.

it doesn't matter what machine you install thunar on, it literally doesn't come with search functionality out of the box. you either have to cuck out to GNOME or install catfish and manually configure a search function.

Just use nautilus or nemo, the only usable file managers.

Literally just ctrl + f

>How can people possibly shill XFCE
XFCEfags are delusional boomers.

Dolphin is unironically the best file manager there is.

Dolphin best

>As much as I hate wangblows atleast in that pajeet shit I can search for a file within a folder by name and get a result half the time
Because you are a pajeet, op. Try just typing the name of the file in thunar, you'll be surprised.

>mind boggling retards who can't even figure out how to use the search function

Based dolphinmind

Attached: 1537464694023.png (400x400, 627K)

ROX-filer FTW!

doesn't work. Adding gnome-search-tools works, but only after manually configuring it, and manually adding it to Thunar, so why did XFCE even bother adopting this fucking file manager if you have to cuck out to GNOME just to get basic functionality?

Catfish was even adopted by Thunar, but doesn't come with it installed, so you have to install it separately and manually add it to Thunar, and even then it probably won't work, which it didn't for me until adding dependencies that it didn't tell me about. Like 4 fucking packages, just so I can find what I'm looking for in a folder without fucking around in my terminal.

doesn't work, unless I know the EXACT file name, it won't produce ANYTHING. If I knew the file name, I would just run it from the terminal or d-menu, I shouldn't have to find in terminal, that defeats the purpose of a file manager, may as well just cd ls cd ls cd ls all fucking day until I get to where I need to go, or waste time cobbling together the perfect find script to get what I'm looking for. Madness

But by using kio it is literally useless for accessing network shares

Plus you can't arrange files in random order

Attached: CopyQ.KlIfti.png (912x582, 71K)

>bloat or a fork of aforementioned bloat
no thanks, thunar is a bit rusty but still better than GNOMEware.

>FOSS autists for whatever reason decided that functionality doesn't need to exist
/thread

What do you mean?

What's even more mindblowing was reading that there USED to be a search function, but that it was taken out? So that users would have to install software, that they work on(catfish), but won't include with thunar? Why? why REMOVE features from your software? Why do I feel like linux is moving backwards

Ctrl-f you fucking retard

broken and doesn't work, fucking retard.

Nautilus is barebones and while Nemo offers extensive functionality, it shits the bed performance-wise (especially when handling large directories after the 4.x update).

>ctrl + f
You mean that little box that quickly lets you jump to the first file, which begins with whatever you type? That's not a proper search function.

It's pretty good, but only when used with KDE.

It is not possible to set one folder to show thumbnails while others show files as list. Why?

>Why do I feel like linux is moving backwards
Cause it is.
There are some retards that are of the opinion that if you can do lot of things in one program that needs to be split up into many different smaller programs for some reason.

>doesn't work, unless I know the EXACT file name, it won't produce ANYTHING
Works for me most of the time, just type first letters and you get straight to that file, as easy as that. Works in Windows too.
>basic functionality
Search is not basic functionality for a file manager.
>you have to install it separately and manually add it to Thunar, and even then it probably won't work
Why adding it? Just use Catfish itself for searching.
It seems that Xfce is just not for you, try out KDE instead. Dolphin got it all covered.

>install a lightweight DE
>surprised when it's lightweight

Attached: D6dwQEQUcAIe8UO.jpg (1536x2048, 272K)

>missing essential basic features everyone with half a brain expects from a desktop OS in 1995
>call it minimal as if it is an excuse for being absolute dogshit
>posting that ugly "trap" league streamer cunt
Terminate your host process immediately.

Attached: 1554938255155.jpg (700x700, 209K)

bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=291835

But he's right. You install minimal software and bash on it for being minimal

xfe is the closest thing to a winfag file manager. try it out
based. ignorant faggots here. all of them
made this back in summer and lost it. glad somebody saved it

>If I call it minimal it's okay if it's lacking the most basic features imaginable

Attached: 1558443407492.png (367x358, 81K)

ITT: literally brainlets dumber than redditors

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-22_23-07-15.png (766x440, 44K)

>It is not possible to set one folder to show thumbnails while others show files as list.
I don't understand why so many Linux file manager devs have an aversion when it comes to this function. Nemo, Dolphin and PCManFM are the only ones, that I can think of right now, which allow you to do it.

>Works for me most of the time, just type first letters and you get straight to that file, as easy as that. Works in Windows too.
Now imagine that you want to find all files with a certain string in their name or you don't know the exact beginning of the filename or you want to find all files with a certain extension.
>Search is not basic functionality for a file manager.
If basically all file managers offer it, then I'd call it a basic functionality.

Then why does PCManFM have a search function?

>Then why does PCManFM have a search function?
If you don't install its search dependencies it doesn't work. It's just like thunar.

> hurr durr i install a minimal desktop environment and dont get all functionality i want when i dont install optional dependencies

>he needs to set up a command shortcut so his file browser offers file search

Attached: 8d4.jpg (601x601, 121K)

But man, the very act of installing xfce is already a subscription to Windows 95 tier desktop experience. So complaining about it is retarded. Again, what you're looking for is KDE.

All devs use the command line for that. Hence no one is developing GUI shit. You want it fixed, fix it yourself.

Easy: directory-wise settings are just not implemented

>if you're not comfortable using a terminal
my dad is a legitimate boomer who did manual labor his whole life and started using computers in the msdos days. he still uses cmd.exe because he swears it's easier than using the gui. my construction worker boomer dad is less tech-illiterate than you. turn off your computer and never use it again, faggot.

Even 95 had a search function which is exactly why I said 1995. There is no excuse to ship a file manager without a search function almost 24 years after the fact.

>Even 95 had a search function
No, it didn't. It had a separate search app. Just like Xfce does.

Try PCmanFM

Pic related. Now stop bullshitting

Attached: win95find.png (640x480, 7K)

the good thing about that pic is that i now know i like gnome even tho i can't stand to use it

that monkey's nostrils and mouth look like an emoji in itself

>pcmanfm is the closest thing to a winfag file manager. try it out
ftfy

I forgot if it was 95 or 98 but I am glad linux caught up to 1995. So can I expect a file manager with search function this decade or should I not hold out hope for anything before 2022? Cause the point still stands, a search function is the most basic shit possible for a GUI based file manager how can you have the nerves to ship one without it?

>Find
That's not Explorer.

i personally use gnu find

>it isn't wingdos
>thread 9001
I am shocked. Shocked.

Anyways, why do you have such trouble finding your files? Do you have early onset dementia or something?

>That's not Explorer.
Of course it's not, explorer didn't have a search option.
>I forgot if it was 95 or 98
It was 2000 when they bloated explorer with that webby search thingy:
guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/search
>the point still stands, a search function is the most basic shit possible for a GUI based file manager
On retard-proof systems yes
>So can I expect a file manager with search function this decade or should I not hold out hope for anything before 2022?
Again, if you want it to be windows just install kde
Fucking this

Linux filemanagers are straight garbage.

No thumbnails in the file picker. No sort by "date created". If you have thumbnail view for one folder, then ALL your folders must be thumbnail view, even folders with documents.

Windows is great but the one thing that annoys me is that you cannot search for a file if it has a - (dash) right before a word... like wtf

Funny.

But it's integral part. You can't install PCManFM without having access to its search function.

how can you pretend it's "minimal" because it doesn't have search, when thunar is bloated as fuck to start with, full of shitty and pointless icons and themes?

windows 95 had search in it's file manager

just because you can, doesn't mean you should. unless you only browse your files by the terminal, you're a hypocrite and a faggot, and even then, terminal's include Find.

because some of us use computers for more than fortnite and WoW and have folders with thousands and thousands of files to navigate

What I don't understand is all the fucking retards vehemently defending the lack of a function that's been present in computing for literally decades, only linux users could possibly perform the mental gymnastics required to consider lack of progress as a virtue, and I only use linux. I fucking hate the FOSS community sometimes, they're like the beaners in the car world, constantly duct taping things together, saying you're a retard for expecting basic shit

dolphin is better than explorer

>No thumbnails in the file picker.
A GTK problem. KDE's file picker has them. Also the file picker isn't part of the file manager.
>No sort by "date created".
Now possible. Some file managers like Nautilus haven't caught up yet, but Nemo and Dolphin offer it.
>If you have thumbnail view for one folder, then ALL your folders must be thumbnail view, even folders with documents.
Nemo, Dolphin and PCManFM allow individual view settings.

>because some of us use computers for more than fortnite and WoW and have folders with thousands and thousands of files to navigate
If you're such a l33t poweruser why can't you figure out how to find a file outside your meme filemanager then?

>I fucking hate the FOSS community sometimes
>sometimes
They are everything wrong with Linux summed up in one group of people.
I'd like to use Linux for more than server but as a desktop OS it's just shit and still you get 20 people defending it with whatever mental gymnastics they need to pull off to not have to accept the fact that linux as a desktop system is arse. My personal favourite is seeing how many replies it takes before some retard inevitably brings up muh servers as if it has anything to do with linux as a desktop system.

Do I have to remind that Windows can't sort folders by size?

Never once in this entire thread did I say I can't, but what the fuck is the point of even DEVELOPING a "file manager" if it doesn't do ANYTHING better than the terminal? So it looks pretty with GTK themes? It barely even works for the most basic shit, you have to specially configure it just to mount external hard drives bigger than 1tb. That's absolutely embarassing, my fucking tablet can handle that, and it's a piece of shit. My XP machine thats over a decade old, can do that. Why are you so defensive about clear flaws? Are you a Thunar dev? If so, you and your team are clearly mentally retarded.

I don't use thunar. If you don't like it then why do you use it? It's a piece of shit, I'll agree to that. Who cares?

>windows 95 had search in it's file manager
Where? Post a proof or something. Pic related is Windows 98 btw.

Attached: win98se.png (552x391, 16K)

If you don't care so much why are you defending it? threads like this are clearly meant for people who have had the same issue to talk about it, but you're just here to call people retarded for calling out a software that you agree is retarded because you don't care? Kill yourself

false flagging, also are you kidding? windows' file manager is horrible and lacks a lot of features.

>No thumbnails in the file picker. No sort by "date created". If you have thumbnail view for one folder, then ALL your folders must be thumbnail view, even folders with documents.
All this is false for plasma at least, i don't know about others.

>windows' file manager is horrible and lacks a lot of features
Does it lack a search function? No? Then fuck off shill.

I've never defended thunar. The OP is also about windows and linux in general, so why can't I talk about that?

He has a point - this is just a b8 bred, why else have you created a thread and whinged/pointlessly argued with strangers online?

Attached: reel_austrayans.jpg (1280x1280, 1.31M)

If the pic seems confusing, gnome may be right for you.

>If someone disagrees with me is considered toxic.
You're well shielded from the start, what is the point on arguing if you will dismiss any opposite opinion and use straw mans?

How's it b8? Is this not the technology board? Is this not the place to compare and contrast OS functionality and FOSS software? Oh no wait I guess this is the earphones and smart phones board. Maybe OP should've just made another "INTEL BTFO" thread or another mactoddler thread, we sure need more of those

If that's where you draw the line i'm afraid a cannot do a lot for you, you're not very receptive anyway if you know what i mean.

I just installed xubuntu, I'm pretty sure there's a search function

Well, people have suggested several alternatives with a search function if that's important to your user experience.

>straw mans
I'm not even him but there is a thread right now on this board where OP asked for which no bullshit linux flavour is the best desktop system and someone said fedora sucks, it took 7 posts till someone said hurr durr super computers.
The only straw manning I can see here is you with your "shielding" and "If someone disagrees with me is considered toxic". But sure go on.

Oh I'm sorry I just didn't want to set the bar to high for linux file managers that apparently finally caught up to Windows 95 as has been discussed before.
But please do go on tell me what essential features Windows explorer lacks in your opinion because for once I am genuinely intrigued.

>But please do go on tell me what essential features Windows explorer lacks
How about a user friendly way to turn off all the spyware functions?

>linux missing basic shit
>"wtf is up with this? has anyone else dealt with this bullshit?"
>HURR DURR YOU'RE A WINTARD IT'S MINIMAL THATS WHY IT REQUIRES THREE ADDITIONAL PACKAGES BUT THATS WHY YOU SHOULDNT USE IT JUST USE THE TERMINAL BUT DONT DO THAT BECAUSE THIS BLOATSHIT WORKS BUT WINDOWS SUCKS CUZ ITS BLOATED SO USE LINUX YOURE JUST RETARDED

it's not a "search" function if you have to know the full name of the file to find it

seething wintard

If it wasn't a bait you would already take a look at Dolphin, Nemo or PCManFM and stopped strawmanning Thunar as "the linux file browser" comparing it to Explorer.

No one is saying you should use linux if you think it's too much of a hassle to install some file manager that suits your needs. Just use windows if you're satisfied with that.

brainlet post

it's sad Jow Forums argues this much over fucking file managers. there are so many out there and yet this thread will reach 100 post with nothing but winfag vs lintard shitflinging

>graphical file managers
You get what you deserve.

what should be discussed on Jow Forums then oh great overlord? More adoredtv and linus tech tips? get over yourself

no. we should talk about OSfirsttimer's mom more

I'm sure another xTODDLERS BTFO thread or Intel or AMD or AdoredTV shill thread is much better suited to a tech board than a thread discussing fucking technology.
Terminate your host process you imbecile.

another cline-let fails the mc/far test.

>Why are all linux file managers so shit?
Use Dolphin, faggot.

The desktop experience has not substantially changed in any way other than theme since 95 OSR2 (when the web-browser style Explorer was introduced).
Windows 95 was the last time MS spent any real time, effort, or money doing any kind of rigorous testing and research on interface design.

XFCE falls pretty flat (as does most desktops really -- Windows only manages nowadays just because the UI to this day has been directly descended from the 95-era one, and MS continues to fuck it up).

emerge fzf
You’re all brainlets who should shoot themselves immediately.

There's literally no difference between thunar and windows file manah. You just have a babyduck syndrome.

You don't, retard.

$ sudo emerge fzf
Password:
Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "fzf".

emerge: searching for similar names...
emerge: Maybe you meant any of these: sys-fs/zfs, app-shells/fzy, dev-ruby/ffi?
$

thats what i get for phone posting.
first
layman -a gen2-overlay
emerge fzf
eix fzf
[I] app-shells/fzf [1]
Available versions: 0.17.3^ms {bash-completion debug fish-completion neovim pie test tmux vim zsh-completion}
Installed versions: 0.17.3^ms(05:47:59 PM 05/21/2019)(neovim tmux zsh-completion -bash-completion -debug -fish-completion -pie -test -vim)
Homepage: github.com/junegunn/fzf
Description: A general-purpose command-line fuzzy finder
i guess we can all die together.

linux isnt for desktop use.
linux is for servers.
it has always been for servers.
it will always be for servers.
stop using a fork as a spoon and deal with it.